Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWatchmen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Any chance this film won't be a complete disaster?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [26.67%]
10 [33.33%]
8 [26.67%]
4 [13.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 01:52
I'm told the explosion will be made to look like it was the fault of Dr. Manhattan, which just doesn't work because it changes the whole direction of the character. 
What is he going to do afterward? 
-If he doesn't take the blame then it doesn't work outright. 
-If he does take the blame then what, he says he's going to go keep watch of the world from the moon and if we don't play nice he'll do it again?  If he takes the blame and leaves then all that does is even the playing field between the US and USSR.
oh and, eveyone knows this doesn't make sense as Doc's behavior, any of it, any of the above

either way, the goal of unity won't be achieved

Edited by manofmystery - January 08 2009 at 02:02

Time always wins.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 02:34
I think it might actually be quite good.Though on first glance i thought it looked like it was going to be a cross of 300 and mystery men lol.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 08:37

I need the full comic book but I'm not waiting for the movie!

I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 11:03
Definitely should have listened to Alan Moore...

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 10:58
Uh, although I still need to read the novel, Im pretty excited to see this! And I´ve heard very positiv things about how Snyder made an "unfilmable comic" work on screen! Anyone seen it already?
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 12:18
I'm going to the world premier on Wednesday thanks to my connections to the theater industry.  I don't think it looked TOO cheesy in the trailers.  The one thing that immediately stood out to me on watching the trailers and such is that I think they did a terrible job of casting Ozymandius.  Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. 

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 12:22
I'm waiting for Sin City II.
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 12:42
I know nothing about Watchmen but I'm going to watch the movie first then read the graphic novel.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 13:37
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

I'm waiting for Sin City II.

They already released that, called it "The Spirit" Wink

Time always wins.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 13:46
I bought the comic book last week:Watchmen is a true masterpiece.I also enjoyed Moore-Lloyd's Vendetta.I  still don't expect much from the movie but why not?
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 17:38
[QUOTE=Henry Plainview]That's a good song in the beginning by I don't remember (before it breaks into freaking Muse),/QUOTE]
It's one of the songs from Koyaanisqatsi by Philip Glass, pretty sure it's either Pruit Igoe or Resource.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 21:10
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

I know nothing about Watchmen but I'm going to watch the movie first then read the graphic novel.

I would heavily advise doing the opposite
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 21:13
Indeed.  I just finished the comic a couple of days ago and it's freaking awesome.  The movie might turn out to be a cheeseball that leaves you entirely turned off from the comic.

Although, at least it seems that the movie isn't gonna spoil the really freaking surprising ending for you. 

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 00:43
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Indeed.  I just finished the comic a couple of days ago and it's freaking awesome.  The movie might turn out to be a cheeseball that leaves you entirely turned off from the comic.

Although, at least it seems that the movie isn't gonna spoil the really freaking surprising ending for you. 

From what I've read, I think the movie ending makes more sense than the graphic novel's. Now, that may have been part of the point, what with subverting forms and all that, but it's still a little frustrating for people with ESP to show up suddenly at the end of the book when only Dr. Manhattan has superpowers before.

And don't worry people who haven't read the book yet, that's not really a spoiler.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 21:19
I've read some reviews which say its pretty average.I'll buy the book this week i expect then i may have a clue what the reviewers are talking about lol.They seem to compare to spider man though which doesn't make it sound very hopeful :(
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 22:46
I've got my midnight tickets. Should be fun no matter what.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 23:04
look for a follow up poll after I see the film:
Was this film a complete distaster?

Time always wins.
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 21:25
I saw the movie today, and it was very very close to the original graphic novel; it was translated about as good as I figure it could have been.  The ending is different, but it doesn't really matter, since the new ending has the same thematic effect.  The problem was that it was too much like the source material.  It didn't really add much to the story, except for the fight scenes, which were very good.  It's pretty much exactly like the book, but by virtue of being a movie, it had to do away with many details from the original.  They tried to just turn Watchmen into a movie, without changing anything to play to the strengths of the new medium.  The movie is very enjoyable and well-made, but it's so similar you might as well just read the book, since you'll learn a lot more details and really only lose a few cool fights.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 01:44
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

I saw the movie today, and it was very very close to the original graphic novel; it was translated about as good as I figure it could have been.  The ending is different, but it doesn't really matter, since the new ending has the same thematic effect.  The problem was that it was too much like the source material.  It didn't really add much to the story, except for the fight scenes, which were very good.  It's pretty much exactly like the book, but by virtue of being a movie, it had to do away with many details from the original.  They tried to just turn Watchmen into a movie, without changing anything to play to the strengths of the new medium.  The movie is very enjoyable and well-made, but it's so similar you might as well just read the book, since you'll learn a lot more details and really only lose a few cool fights.

really?  If you do anything, read the book and don't see the film, you won't miss the fight scenes.

here is the review i posted in the  list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies thread:
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Warning:  Some Spoilers

Watchmen - the unfilmable story is just that and even if you enjoy this movie you must agree because, this isn't Watchmen.  Sure the characters are all there and a lot of the dialog is unchanged but what's been rewritten, what's been changed to fit the self imposed movie time restrictions, makes this another hollywood adaptation failure.  Two things sink this movie: 1) For some ungodly reason they thought this story could be told in a little less than 3 hrs.  The result of this is an incredibly cramped story with many of the characters stories cut short, or cut all together (newstand characters not welcome untill SPOILER: they are seen in the NY explosion with no explaination as to why they are important). The ending is what suffers most from this lack of proper length as it seems like it was changed because they didnt want to dedicate the time to explaining the more complicated one from Moore's novel.  2) Ozymandias:  In order to get his ending to make some sense this character was warped and rearranged and his background story was completely missing. 
Some other things that didn't help:
- Rorschach's voice: you do sort of get used to it as the movie progresses but when you first hear him you expect "I am Batman" to be right around the bend.  Remember when you finally saw the face that went along with James Earl Jones' powerful, imposing Darth Vader voice?
- Do you really need to slow down every fight scene Zach?  And adding a blood splatter to every possible scene gets to be a bit much.
- This one bothers me a lot because it is so unnecessary (might have something to do with the Snyder film making flaw in the previous point): Rorschach's reason for becoming what he has is unacceptably altered for seemingly no other reason than to add another brutal scene and epic blood splatter.  SPOILER:  One of the greastest parts of Watchmen (the novel) is Rorschach giving the little girl's killer his options then setting his house ablaze: brilliant writing like "Shouldn’t bother trying to saw through handcuffs. Never make it in time" replaced by a meat clever to the head.  Yeah, Zach, great job, that little extra blood was much better than a fire (HEAVY SARCASM: a fire? who wants that? more blood is what we need, 300 gallons already is not enough) coupled with great Rorschach dialog.  Man, this completely useless change pisses me off.
- SPOILER: Hollis Mason is seen once then never mentioned again.  That ridiculous "NOOOOO" scene from Dan you saw in the commercials was for Rorschach and not Hollis, which would have made much more sense.  If you have to add a ridiculous hackneyed "NOOOO" scene at least put in the proper moment.
There are some things to enjoy:
- The Comedian: his character is handled properly throughout and the lines and other bits added for the movie land effectively
- The opening montage: loved this, the series of clips are priceless
- Vietnam
- Thought they did a fine job with Dr. Manhattan (at least till the end debacle) and Night Owl (at least till the end debacle)
- Laurie was really f'n hot
- Everything looked right visually (except maybe Nixon's nose)

Terry Gilliam signed on to make this film in the 80s but lacked the funding.  In 1996, when the rights to the story changed hands, Gilliam was asked if he was still interested in the project to which he responded, "I think it's going to be impossible to make as a film, unless you make it three and a half hours long, which most people aren't going to want"
My point in adding this bit of backstory is that I agree with Gilliam that it would have to be a long film and disagree with that being something people wouldn't want.  Had this been handled like say, the Lord of the Rings, this could have been a monster two or three part series of films that told the entire story the correct way.  You would think with the success of the Rings films such a concept would have been at least considered.  Come to think of it, an HBO mini series may have been the better option because then it could be made long enough to tell the entire story (without needing to release pieces like Black Freighter separately) and then divided into sections.  Anyway you slice it, Watchmen can't be told in 2 hrs and 40 min and it hasn't been here.

Time always wins.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 01:57
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

look for a follow up poll after I see the film:
Was this film a complete distaster?

Nope. It was pretty good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>