Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeshuggah w/ Cynic and The Faceless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meshuggah w/ Cynic and The Faceless
    Posted: January 04 2009 at 22:18
Hey everyone,

After finding out Meshuggah, Cynic and The Faceless are touring together I got pretty excited. Even more so when I found out they are bothering with the Midwest and I have a chance to travel to Chicago from my hometown. Has anyone seen any of these groups live lately? Frankly I'm frightened of Meshuggah haha, but I may not be able to pass up the other two groups for anything. That new Cynic record was a beautiful beast AND they brag about being able to recreate the entire thing en full. Really I'm just wondering if anyone has any negative or positive news about Meshuggah live - and what to expect. I searched the "Live Performance Member Review" section and found zilch.

Also they are evidently playing in the House of Blues (Chicago) if anyone in the area is interested in a small venue - I hear you can't help but be close to the musicians and the place is great all around though I've never been.
DatM View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 06:54
My only beef with Meshuggah is that their set is way too short...barely an hour.  And NO ENCORE!  I felt ripped off to tell you the truth.  If you're gonna play such a short set, at least give us an encore... but aside from that, they crush live.  And if Cynic had been opening maybe I wouldn't have felt so ripped off Big smile

Edited by DatM - January 05 2009 at 06:55
Death and the Maiden - A Metal Tribute To String Quartets

Website
Myspace
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 08:03
I went to see Opeth in November in Birmingham,and they were supported by Cynic and The Ocean. Cynic are incredible live, I'd love to see them again. Really f**kin LOUD as well which is pretty good. I want to see Meshuggah, but i missed my chance this year. They played at the Academy (which is practically next door) and the opportunity slipped through my fingers Hopefully they'll come round again (fingers crossed) this year. Cynic are a monster live though Thumbs Up
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
popeyethecat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 08:13
I saw Meshuggah a couple of months ago. Great show! Very tight. As DatM, rather short. When I went the drums were louder than they usually are on record. I think they do this because the drums are usually in 4/4 in a much more decipherable way than the guitar, so they turn them up to give the audience a chance to...er...mosh in time? Anyway they're great and pretty much get up there and get on with it. Recommended!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 08:12
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

I went to see Opeth in November in Birmingham,and they were supported by Cynic and The Ocean. Cynic are incredible live, I'd love to see them again. Really f**kin LOUD as well which is pretty good. I want to see Meshuggah, but i missed my chance this year. They played at the Academy (which is practically next door) and the opportunity slipped through my fingers Hopefully they'll come round again (fingers crossed) this year. Cynic are a monster live though Thumbs Up
Was there at the Opeth gig as well and can attest that Cynic are awsome live.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Post Reply Post Reply