Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 15:48
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I don't really know what you're talking about there ... I never said that prog metal is "that different" (I wouldn't even know what I should compare it to).

I just think that I'm broadening my horizon more than you do, because I impose fewer "hard" limits (like instruments/sounds or techniques) on what I'm listening to. You may be broadening your horizon, but within a (from my point of view) limited scope.

But how can you say that, not knowing what kind of artists I have discovered? As I said, you are jumping to conclusions. You judge without having any idea! I would honestly have expected better from you.

I was merely commenting on the artists you mentioned in the post. Aren't you jumping to conclusions by assuming that I think that those are the only new ones you listened to? My *guess* is that you have indeed discovered many new artists, but most of them are closely connected to your favorite styles of classic prog, either by the artists performing it, or by the style itself. But indeed, this is just a guess of mine based on my previous experiences with you ... Embarrassed

BTW: I'd be glad to know about all the artists you're discovering ... and of course I would be glad if you entered some of them at Progfreak.com.Big smile

One way of discovering new artists is to follow all the collaborations of the artists you know; many of them seek to expand their musical horizon, so you will wind up with lots of new names you have not heard before simply by following all those new connections. The net is ever growing that way, and you land in territory you had no idea you ever would land in. But you also come across other artists by listening to certain radio stations. That way I discovered Rabih Abou-Khalil, for example, I discovered Michel Godard and his many different projects, I discovered Hille Perl and Lee Santana, who are also definitely not prog (some would label them "classical" and couldn't be more wrong), I discovered Gianluigi Trovesi and his many side projects. All these artists just don't happen to fall into prog, and it is very difficult to tell what they really fall into. Do you honestly expect me that I should desperately try to discover artists which are prog? No, I go whichever way I am being carried, and if my path carries me away from prog, that's fine with me.
Just because you like double bass-drumming and I don't doesn't make you have a broader horizon, and being a drummer myself I think I have all the right to turn up my nose to double bass-drumming.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 09 2009 at 15:54

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 02:57

One way of discovering new artists is to follow all the collaborations of the artists you know; many of them seek to expand their musical horizon, so you will wind up with lots of new names you have not heard before simply by following all those new connections. The net is ever growing that way, and you land in territory you had no idea you ever would land in. But you also come across other artists by listening to certain radio stations. That way I discovered Rabih Abou-Khalil, for example, I discovered Michel Godard and his many different projects, I discovered Hille Perl and Lee Santana, who are also definitely not prog (some would label them "classical" and couldn't be more wrong), I discovered Gianluigi Trovesi and his many side projects. All these artists just don't happen to fall into prog, and it is very difficult to tell what they really fall into. Do you honestly expect me that I should desperately try to discover artists which are prog? No, I go whichever way I am being carried, and if my path carries me away from prog, that's fine with me.
Just because you like double bass-drumming and I don't doesn't make you have a broader horizon, and being a drummer myself I think I have all the right to turn up my nose to double bass-drumming.

I have no expectations at all - you can do whatever you want. I just think that you impose a lot more hard limits on which music you're going to explore (regardless of whether you'd call it prog). And just because you're a drummer doesn't give your opinion against double bass drumming more weight - if anything, it makes it even more peculiar, because you won't find many drummers who would agree with you. Many polls were made here in the forum which confirm that, and if you examine drummer magazines and publications I'm very sure you won't find any which say that the entire technique is ridiculous.

Getting back to the original subject: I think I can understand why you're getting estranged from prog ... especially the modern bands simply use too many of the techniques which you can't tolerate. A lot of modern non-prog music uses them too, so you're left with exploring the realm of "Post Krautrock" or "Post/Minimalistic Classical/World/Independent" by artists who reject modern music/technology. *That* is what I mean by broader horizon - I simply have more to chose from than you, at least it seems so to me.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 04:27
I can't help feeling that this thread is proof that almost no one checks out Avestin's recommendation threads.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 04:38
^ or my website. Or the PA reviews. Let's face it, there are so many sources of information, you can't check out all of them thoroughly. Currently there are more than 850 albums of 2008 in the PF database ...
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 04:50
You don't need to check everything out thoroughly, just the areas you'd consider of special interest to you. And this is hardly daunting; it's mainly about getting off your you-know-what... 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 04:54

I have no expectations at all - you can do whatever you want. I just think that you impose a lot more hard limits on which music you're going to explore (regardless of whether you'd call it prog). And just because you're a drummer doesn't give your opinion against double bass drumming more weight - if anything, it makes it even more peculiar, because you won't find many drummers who would agree with you. Many polls were made here in the forum which confirm that, and if you examine drummer magazines and publications I'm very sure you won't find any which say that the entire technique is ridiculous.

Getting back to the original subject: I think I can understand why you're getting estranged from prog ... especially the modern bands simply use too many of the techniques which you can't tolerate. A lot of modern non-prog music uses them too, so you're left with exploring the realm of "Post Krautrock" or "Post/Minimalistic Classical/World/Independent" by artists who reject modern music/technology. *That* is what I mean by broader horizon - I simply have more to chose from than you, at least it seems so to me.
what makes you think Friede and I reject modern music technology? Friede is totally right: you have a way of jumping to conclusions.
let me start this in a different way so you may see what this is all about. you doubtlessly know the classical violin virtuoso Anne-Sophie Mutter. she is doubtlessly a virtuoso, and she is absolutely unmistakable for her tone; you just have to hear a few notes and are able to say "ah, this is Mutter"; even someone who is not so familiar with classical music could probably do it. many music critics, however, criticize exactly that tone, calling it a "mannerism". do those critics who think so have a quirk? or do rather those who like this specific tone have a quirk? I am not answering that, because I think you can't answer that, but is the fact that some people call it a "mannerism" a limitation to their musical experience? hardly.
well, for us double bass-drumming is a mannerism. it is as simple as that. we have both conceded that there may be situations when double bass-drumming is adequate; the way it is generally used, however, it is nothing but a cheap gimmick.. you are, as far as i know; a guitar player, and you probably know a lot of cheap tricks on guitar too which make you sound good to the ears of anyone who does not play this instrument but which only would make you laugh if you heard it; I certainly know some such techniques for the piano. mark that I am not saying that all the drummers who use double-bass drumming use it to sound better than they are; there are certainly many excellent ones among them. but it does not put aside the fact that a double bass-drum thunderstorm will let the jaws of a lot of people who do not play drums drop while someone who is a drummer him/herself would merely shrug. also: if double bass-drumming is really so essential as you put it, why do so many excellent drummers decide to play with a single bass drum only? do they all limit themselves in your opinion, even when they use dozens of other techniques?
to repeat it again: Friede and I are not against the use of double bass-drumming per se. but if it is done all the time it is notorious and like a duck quack on a keyboard. this does not limit our musical experience in the least; liking everything is mere arbitrariness. or are you telling me that you like everything that is done on guitar? I would sincerely doubt that, because that would certainly mean arbitrariness.
anyway, to deduct that you have a broader listening experience just because you like double bass-drumming is simply ridiculous. check yourself: are there really no things in music which you dislike? and if you dislike them, does this make it a quirk of you? nonsense

Edited by BaldJean - January 10 2009 at 05:44

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 04:56
^ but how do you filter all the information? I could check out Avestin's thread, Erik's thread, and many other individuals who publish high quality recommendations. At Progfreak.com I try to connect all the information in a form that can be better "digested", but only few people take advantage of it.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 05:35

^ but how do you filter all the information? I could check out Avestin's thread, Erik's thread, and many other individuals who publish high quality recommendations. At Progfreak.com I try to connect all the information in a form that can be better "digested", but only few people take advantage of it.

you can only listen to so much music. do you listen to every single style of music? hardly, it is simply impossible. you either have good knowledge of certain styles or a superficial one of many. we all have to limit ourselves to certain kinds of music, you as much as I. I don't criticize you for not knowing some of the music I have chosen to listen to. a month has 720 hours; even if you dedicate half of your time to listening to music, and only to new releases, this gives you occasion to listen to approximately 360 releases per month only (let's for the sake of simplicity assumed the average playing time of an album is approximately an hour), and only once, and you will not be able to listen to any of the music you already own, and even this would be only is a small fraction of what is being published monthly.
so indeed, how does one filter? listening to the radio is most important for us; many of the artists we discovered we discovered via radio. others we discovered by what I call "branching out". you like musician A, who on one of his albums plays with musician B, so you decide to listen to the albums of B. B plays with C on one or more of his or her albums, and so on. this can lead you into very interesting musical territory, completely different from anything you have heard before.
and of course the archives offer lots of new suggestions too

Edited by BaldJean - January 10 2009 at 05:36

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 05:56
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

you can only listen to so much music. do you listen to every single style of music? hardly, it is simply impossible. you either have good knowledge of certain styles or a superficial one of many. we all have to limit ourselves to certain kinds of music, you as much as I. I don't criticize you for not knowing some of the music I have chosen to listen to.

Of course, I agree completely. Considering the number of albums and styles, you inevitably specialize in some styles. But that doesn't mean that I have to stay within the boundaries of the styles I specialized in ... hopefully you listen to music over several decades, and that leaves plenty of room to discover new styles. I have a firm knowledge in Metal and Hard Rock, but I also know a lot about modern Electronic music, and I've spent a fair amount of time listening to Classical and Jazz. However, you're very right in pointing out that one shouldn't criticize others for not checking out enough styles or albums ...

a month has 720 hours; even if you dedicate half of your time to listening to music, and only to new releases, this gives you occasion to listen to approximately 360 releases per month only (let's for the sake of simplicity assumed the average playing time of an album is approximately an hour), and only once, and you will not be able to listen to any of the music you already own, and even this would be only is a small fraction of what is being published monthly.

Absolutely ... (see next paragraph)

so indeed, how does one filter? listening to the radio is most important for us; many of the artists we discovered we discovered via radio. others we discovered by what I call "branching out". you like musician A, who on one of his albums plays with musician B, so you decide to listen to the albums of B. B plays with C on one or more of his or her albums, and so on. this can lead you into very interesting musical territory, completely different from anything you have heard before.
and of course the archives offer lots of new suggestions too

... the problem is that listening to music and reading lengthy reviews or forum threads are really time consuming tasks. What I am trying to do with all the rating and tagging is to offer a better overview over what's happening. If you like, you can have a look at the new ProgRadar feed that I built last week:

http://progfreak.com/srv/progradar.xml

The difference to "ordinary" review lists is that each album is only shown once, when it is first tagged as prog. You can use the feed to check out new albums, and the tags assigned by the users give you a first impression of what to expect. You can go to the myspace page and check the music out for yourself ... it doesn't really take much time to browse this feed, and if you install it in the feed reader of your choice you get a really neat overview over what's happening in regard to new releases. Of course the feed depends on the contribution of all the users ...

You mentioned that numerically speaking it's not possible to listen to all new albums. But if a large number of users, all specialized in different genres and styles, do this listening and submit the information into one large database - then such "digests" can be generated. You'll still listen to samples, but you can skip many albums based on the tags.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 07:05

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I don't feel estranged from prog.

I do often dislike the modern sound. As the years go by, I tend to listen more and more to the classic bands, and less to the modern bands. As it comes to modern music, I tend to listen more to music outside prog.

That's more or less what I meant by "getting estranged to prog". A lot of the new music I listen to is not prog or barely only; Rabih Abou-Khalil for example has been included in the archives, but this is in my opinion debatable, although I love his music, so I don't complain. And I love the trio Hadouk which features Didier malherbe of Gong. or the duo RoRo, again consistng of two prog musicians, Roland Schaeffer of Guru Guru and Roman Bunka of Embryo.  Or the trio Orientacion, consisitng of Bunka on oud, Luis Borda on acoustic guitar and Jost Hecker on cello; we have their only album (so far, but it looks as if it will be remain the only one, since Bunka continues with Borda as a duo). This is the music which interests me now. So I am actually broadening my horizon.

Yes, of course, I see what you mean. So my situation is not as different as your situation. I myself am more interested right now in artists like Sufjan Stevens, who do something different completely, than a lot of new prog bands.   
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 20:22
Totally off thread and info for Mr Progfreak. Your linked page shows as code only in Opera and Chrome. It displays correctly in IE and Firefox. Don't know whether you care about losing these particular browsers, but it ain't working on them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 02:18
We should probably continue discussion about ProgRadar in the separate thread that I created in the "Get the Word Out" section ... let me just say here that it should work in Opera now. Unfortunately it doesn't work in Chrome - which is not my fault, because what I linked to is not really a web page, but a RSS feed - and Chrome does not currently support them. See the separate thread about a short introduction to RSS ... :-)

BTW: Most of my website should work with Opera, except for the review editor. It's not really my fault though, and I'm not willing to spend hours of programming so that 2% of all my visitors are more happy. If you want to use a free, open source browser: Firefox is the best solution!Smile
SickMyDuck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 06:14
What originnally brings up people to prog is the unique experience of changing tempo, weird chords, uncommon drum patterns, different song construction, and on. What might be happening to you is just that it doesn't excite you as much as it originally did, as you have 'digged' into it. Its quite logical that you'll be starting listening to jazz, classical music, etc, for new horizons. What i may suggest you is trying to stop putting music in a genre, i mean, if you like a song, don't mind if it's from the seventies, or is it new, or wondering if a disc is more likely in jazz experimentation than prog, etc. Just listen and try to enjoy the music without labeling it, it may work, if you mood this day, this week or even a year is listening to jazz songs, well, just do it, and about new bands and stuff, mmm, i can really recommend you an awesome musician from Argentina called Luis Alberto Spinetta. This should keep you entertained if you like his music, since he has more than 30 discs. This artist goes from rock to prog, from jazz rock to blues. Here i'll put some media for you to give it a try =)

To start, this track is a classic from the 70's that incorporates a bit of 'tango' into it, surely very interesting

http://www.imeem.com/cortadoenjarrito/music/82BadMbq/luis_alberto_spinetta_invisible_los_libros_de_la_buena_mem/

This track is from 1973

http://www.imeem.com/people/1Roungo/music/LdKI0M3o/pescado_rabioso_amame_peterib/

If you liked it, you surely will be pleased to listen this, its from the nineties

http://www.imeem.com/people/1Roungo/music/ho1sFJ0P/spin_5bosnia/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1kW5NrrK-0&feature=PlayList&p=D40D3830456B554B&playnext=1&index=4

This musician has been playing from 40 years ago, and he stills rocks! Here you can listen something from his latest disc, released few months ago.

http://www.imeem.com/people/xmkfCHy/music/xX6U0WCz/luis_alberto_spinetta_07_un_maanamp3/

As a little 'bonus' here you can listen to another great artist that is more 'prog' called Charly Garcia, also argentinian, i love his work, this is some from his seventies band:

http://www.imeem.com/tomymusica/music/YkEKNuPp/la_maquina_de_hacer_pjaros_hipercandombe/

http://www.imeem.com/tomymusica/music/A-smNSYf/la_maquina_de_hacer_pjaros_ruta_perdedora/

http://www.imeem.com/people/K2hJeVR/music/MJis3iH7/casicarioblogspotcom_ah_te_vi_entre_las_luces

This is from an unplugged he recorded 10 years ago.

http://www.imeem.com/people/77P84y/music/GVpuNm-e/charly_garcia_pasajera_en_trance/

Well, i hope this helped, and im very sorry if i misunderstodd what made you start the thread. Hopefully you'll enjoy the tracks and listen to some cds from these artist, ill be glad if any of the people that listened to them actually starts listening them, to me, they are probably the greatest argentinian musicians together with astor piazzolla. Bye and thanks for reading/listening.
To build a castle... on the sand
JP312 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 14:55
I hardly consider myself an expert, but my sense of what has happened with rock music in general (not necessarily just prog) is that most "new" rock bands have 2 or 3 generations of rock bands to be influenced by (or occasionally, to rebel against). The early rock bands were heavily influenced by genres other than rock because the established legacy of rock wasn't in place yet; they created it. the downside to this idea is that it seems like a genre can play itself out, and maybe that's what's happened to rock by this point (after nearly half a century, which really isn't a bad run).
XunknownX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 15:00
...what a boring thread...

Edited by XunknownX - January 13 2009 at 15:04
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 19:47
Originally posted by XunknownX XunknownX wrote:

How boring your life must be, boring man, that you visit boring threads just to say how boring they are. And your boring existence depends on people realizing that you're just another un-original boring internet troll.

Boredom reigns supreme
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 19:55
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

How boring your life must be, boring man, that you visit boring threads just to say how boring they are. And your boring existence depends on people realizing that you're just another un-original boring internet troll.

Boredom reigns supreme
We might as well just kill ourselves now and save the trouble. Violence is never boring!

Edited by Henry Plainview - January 13 2009 at 19:56
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 20:00
^Lmao!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 20:16
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Boredom reigns supreme

lesson:  never mess with anyone whose location is "Hell" LOL

Edited by NaturalScience - January 13 2009 at 20:16
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 21:01
For people who are restricted by prog strictly, the thread is boring, isn't it?
Ah...for me, it's interesting this can widen my window of experience and opportunity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>