Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Residents - The Bunny Boy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Residents - The Bunny Boy
    Posted: January 07 2009 at 09:18
Just added this album to their discography on PA. It was released in September... I'm amazed no one else had added it!

Anyway, it's a great album, especially when consumed in conjunction with the ongoing internet film series which accompanies it (just search youtube if you're interested). The tour was great as well - anyone else manage to catch it?

I also added "Postcards From Patmos", which is the limited edition soundtrack to the film series. Lovely, creepy instrumentals full of analogue synths...

I'll post a proper review of The Bunny Boy as soon as I'm happy with it, but for now, anyone else heard/experienced this one? I think it's one of The Residents' strongest projects, even if it isn't as musically deranged as some of their other stuff.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 10:45
I was lucky enough to experience their show in Oslo on November 29th last year, and wasn't disappointed. Plus that the show was highly amusing as well and I had several good laughs during it, it was a really unique experience. Musically, it was pretty much what I expected; demented and VERY quirky tunes that worked very well with the Bunny Boy concept (in the strange Residents way of course). One of those gigs I'll surely not forget! Thumbs Up

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 13:07
I see I have a little Residential catching up to do. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 10 2009 at 07:48
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 13:36
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I see I have a little Residential catching up to do. Big smile

You're not alone. TBH, I've probably only heard/experienced 15% of everything they've done - I still haven't heard the Mole albums! The Bunny Boy is definitely a good one to get into, though. Watch the videos and you'll soon be hooked.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 15:19
The latest two I have are Tweedles and Animal Lover.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 10 2009 at 07:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 15:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The latest two I have are Tweedles and Animal Lover.

I have Animal Lover, which is good but not as brilliant as some have made out, IMO. Tweedles passed me by altogether. What did you make of it?
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 15:45
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I still haven't heard the Mole albums!

Mark of the Mole,
Intermission EP (bonus on Mole CD) and The Tunes of Two Cities are absolutely fantastic! I can't imagine they'll dissapoint. Up there with Duck Stab/Buster and Glen (but very different).

Haven't really warmed up to Bunny Boy yet myself. Enjoyed the concert, though. Have you got the Animal Lover release with the excellent Imaginary Jack bonus, instrumental album?
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
AlbertMond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 15:54

It's already been released? Sweet.

Promotion so blatant that it's sad:
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 16:44
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Mark of the Mole,
Intermission EP (bonus on Mole CD) and The Tunes of Two Cities are absolutely fantastic! I can't imagine they'll dissapoint. Up there with Duck Stab/Buster and Glen (but very different).

Haven't really warmed up to Bunny Boy yet myself. Enjoyed the concert, though. Have you got the Animal Lover release with the excellent Imaginary Jack bonus, instrumental album?

I have an epic review of the Mole albums which I may eventually get round to posting (if I ever finish the bloody thing). Their last truly great music IMO, although there's been plenty of good stuff since. I've not heard Bunny Boy yet, but I'll get around to it once I've finished procrastinating.

Incidentally TP, how the devil are you these days? Nice to see you back on the forums!
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:46
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Mark of the Mole,

I have an epic review of the Mole albums which I may eventually get round to posting (if I ever finish the bloody thing). Their last truly great music IMO, although there's been plenty of good stuff since. I've not heard Bunny Boy yet, but I'll get around to it once I've finished procrastinating.

Incidentally TP, how the devil are you these days? Nice to see you back on the forums!

I'm definitely going to be getting hold of the mole stuff just as soon as I can. Do finish off that review, Syz! I'm still fiddling with my Bunny Boy one - so much I'm trying to cover with that without it becoming a review of the entire project (which isn't appropriate for an album review, but necessary to put it all in context).

Oh, and I'm quite well, if a little hard-up at present. Graduating from uni on the cusp of a recession was poor timing, it seems. LOL
victor77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 13:17
I have Animal Lover, which is good but not as brilliant as some have made out, IMO. Tweedles passed me by altogether. What did you make of it?

I´m quite surprised about it, I think Animal Lover is one of the best records they recently made, mainly because of the great balance between weirdness and accessibility, an aspect hard to find on other of their records.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 08:36
Originally posted by victor77 victor77 wrote:

I´m quite surprised about it, I think Animal Lover is one of the best records they recently made, mainly because of the great balance between weirdness and accessibility, an aspect hard to find on other of their records.

Agreed. It's just never 'clicked' with me. At least, not yet. Maybe I need to dig it out and try again.
Leftoverture View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 02:56
just picked it up on saturday. thanks for the recommendation. I love the Residents! my band used to do a cover of "safety is a cootie wootie". This is a good album and I'm glad the bookstore had it in stock
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 10:17
Tweedles is rather pervy.  I've got a review and am so far the only one to "touch" it. LOL

I think Animal Lover is my favorite so far, though there's many I haven't heard yet.  I agree with it achieving weirdness and accessibility to a good degree at the same time.  Inner Space is really moving.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 10 2009 at 07:48
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2009 at 17:42
So I FINALLY finished what I hope is a clear, balanced review of this album. Interested persons may read it here: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20936

At some point I should probably churn out a couple of paragraphs on Postcards from Patmos as well.

Also, has anyone been keeping up with the videos? It's all getting terribly exciting...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 12:58
Well, it's over.

I shall miss him.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 04:03
Never heard any of their albums. Which one would anyone recommend for the easily scared?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 06:31
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Never heard any of their albums. Which one would anyone recommend for the easily scared?

Eskimo - That album basically consists of sparse, experimental soundscapes (with a dash of humour in there). This was the album that got me into The Residents.

Duck Stab/Buster & Glen - Superb, twisted avant-pop. A little more blatantly freaky but it's also quite catchy and is undoubtedly amongst their very best works.

The Commercial Album - The songs on this album range from the very strange to the suprisingly melodic. Also, they all last just sixty seconds, so if you don't like one track it won't be long before the next one comes along!

The Bunny Boy - Their latest project and the main subject of this thread. See my review for details: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20936

I wouldn't like to say which of those four would be best for you, but Eskimo and TBB are probably the least overtly strange and discordant. Good luck!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 06:54
http://www.residents.com/bunnyboy/

Shame on you for not posting the link.  I'm ready for new Residents, putting in an order. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 07:44

Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I wouldn't like to say which of those four would be best for you, but Eskimo and TBB are probably the least overtly strange and discordant. Good luck!

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree. For someone's easily scared Eskimo and The Bunny Boy may be two of the worst startingpoints I can think of. I wouldn't consider any of them representative and I find TBB to be quite uninteresting, musically speaking (imo, of course).

Eskimo
is a fantastic but a sometimes terryifiyng and icecold tone poem (and a bit of fun, yes) will not work well as an introducton for most. The twisted and catchy avantpop on the two you other classics you suggest: Duck Stab/Buster & Glen, The Commercial Album, gives a much better idea on what The Residents are (mainly) about.

Not Available
and The Tunes of Two Cities are probably good places to start as well. My first was Meet the Residents. It was the strangest music I've ever heard, and I played it over an over, probably 50 times or more (especially side 1).
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>