FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThought Machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thought Machine
    Posted: January 13 2009 at 15:52
Hey guys, I have a new band named Thought Machine.

alot of the riffs started as my little kind of solo project but we ended up having it as a band, where others had input, of course.

It is a Progressive Rock band with a very Classic Rock type of sound, We are similar in style to Rush, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and many other bands of that nature.

Brett Waye (Me) - Lead Vocals, Bass, Keyboards
Marc Langille - Guitar, Background Vocals
Scott Maclean - Guitar
Adam Wedgewood - Drums

We have been playing around our little town of Sydney Nova Scotia, and have aquired some pretty hardcore fans. Although, there is not much market for prog rock in sydney, all it is is metal, punk, and celtic music pretty much. This band and my other band that i play bass for are relocating to London, Ontario to broaden the amount of people that are able to see us, cuz in sydney there just aren't that many people, therefore there are less people to be into anything other than punk and metal.

I am happy to have this band because I really wanted something where I can have a lot of creative control in, as my older band I used to play in (Jetavana Groove) I didn't get to input as much writing as I wanted, and I had a lot of backed up riffs and structures in my head. Plus I get to sing, which is super fun haha.

We just recently record our song "Maiden Voyage / Storm of Being" for the myspace, and we are still mixing it, and i have to redo a verse or two in the vocals, and we still need to add backup vocals, but we will post the better version in a couple weeks.

But in the meantime, I present to you our myspace, where you will find that tune as it is right now.

feedback? more recordings will be up in the coming months.

EDIT (there i made it a hyperlink, sorry!)

Edited by Prog_Bassist - January 13 2009 at 18:22
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 15:57
no feedback?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 17:22
I'll check your track out tomorrow, don't worry!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 18:31
keep in mind it still needs to be finished mixing, so it might not be as good as it is when it's sounding it's best. but still i'd definetly like some comments on it as it is right now.

p.s. nice jaco avatar.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 03:57
I see what you mean concerning the mix - I'll ignore the side effects of that (the drums literally are a side effect - coming from the right only most of the time Wink)

Overall, I'd say continue down this road, the (70's) Rush influences are clear in the song structure, especially half way through the song. Overall, it's not bad, but there are two things you might want to work on. The first half of the song is very repetitive - make it a bit more adventurous if you don't want listeners to get distracted, and in the second half, after the Xanadu like quietness in the middle, you may want to move away from the obvious characteristics of Cygnus X-I. What I hear is a bunch of good musicians and definitely a composition that shows your influences, but with the skills of your quartet you may want to strive for a bit more originality. I'm definitely interested in hearing more!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 06:27
thanks a lot man! i'll post more tunes as we get em done.

ya our other tunes are usually a little different, we experiment with diferent stuff,, we have a 20 minute epic, we'll hopefully have that recorded sometime.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 15:21
ah cmon guys, i would really really appreciate it if anybody had any opinions about it at all. :P
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 12:55
Definitely not Wal-Mart Music Brett,keep it up!

Yann
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 18:36
Any new material yet, Brett?
ISKC Rock Radio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 13:35
well, we have at least 60 minutes of material, we jsut don't have it all recorded yet.

we are trying to get into the studio (a pro one) around here, we just have to wait for the dude's schedule to clear, after that we'll have some pro tracks to post for ya! 

right now, we have a 23 minute epic called gordian knot, that maiden voyage tune which is eight and a half mins (which, when recorded professionally, will sound far less repetitive as you will be able to hear much more instruments), persuasion, which is our poppier tune, it's almost 7 minutes but we are shortening it because it's not really that type of song, if you know what i mean, we have The fall of house atreides (dune nerd alert), which is 6 and a half minutes, breathing lessons, which is 4 minutes (our shortest tune).

we're also working on a couple more tunes to fill out the album, which will be professionally done, no cd-r's for us.

no idea when it will be done though. but i look forward to showing it to you guys!   
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 07:19
Great!
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply