Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flower Kings Appreciation Thread
    Posted: January 15 2009 at 19:57
I'm well aware that TFK don't get as much love on PA as I think they deserve, but gosh darndit, I love 'em. I'll always think I've listened to them too much, but then a song of theirs will come up while I have my music library on shuffle. I always follow this up with another song of theirs that I feel is a good addendum to the first one, then I'll go through my bootlegs of theirs to see if I have a live version of any of those songs. If I do, I'll be forced to listen to it which usually ends up with me listening to the entire show with a huge stupid grin on my face.
I know I can't be the only fan of this incredibly talented group of Swedes so let's show some love for Roine and company.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 20:07
I love them too, excellent musicians!

My faves are: #1 Space Revolver
                        #2 Adam & Eve
                        #3 Unfold the Future/Paradox Hotel
                        #4 The Flower King
                        #5 Retropolis
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 03:20
ClapClap Well done Captain!!  I've long thought of starting such a thread.

Nice to see my good friend Pablo is first on the scene too.  How are you buddy?

I love The Flower Kings, as do a few others on here.  They seem to be very under appreciated though, which I can't understand.

I would expect progrules and zitro may show up here, amongst others. 

This band is my best discovery EVER.  If I had not found PA, I would probably never have got to hear TFK, and that is a shocking thought.  I have almost all their albums, I'm missing Flower Power and Adam and Eve.  I now have Paradox Hotel but have not heard it yet.  My favourite albums by TFK are:-

1.  Stardust We Are
2.. Space Revolver
3.  Back In The World...
4.  Unfold The Future
5.  Retropolis

I really can't believe that no TFK album is rated at 4 stars or above.  For me, they are all better than 4 and a few of them get 5.  In fact, Stardust We Are and Space Revolver both got into my Top 6 albums of all time!

Have a look on prog polls too everybody.  I have posted a new TFK poll there.

Once again, nice one Captain and Cacho.

Edited by Roj M30 - January 16 2009 at 03:22
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 07:28
They are one of my favorite modern day prog bands.  I got so "into" them at one point that I burned myself out on their music from playing them so much but I still slap in one of their fine discs every so often and they never fail to thrill.  Their musicianship is jaw-dropping sometimes.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 08:30
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

ClapClap Well done Captain!!  I've long thought of starting such a thread.

Nice to see my good friend Pablo is first on the scene too.  How are you buddy?

I love The Flower Kings, as do a few others on here.  They seem to be very under appreciated though, which I can't understand.

I would expect progrules and zitro may show up here, amongst others. 

This band is my best discovery EVER.  If I had not found PA, I would probably never have got to hear TFK, and that is a shocking thought.  I have almost all their albums, I'm missing Flower Power and Adam and Eve.  I now have Paradox Hotel but have not heard it yet.  My favourite albums by TFK are:-

1.  Stardust We Are
2.. Space Revolver
3.  Back In The World...
4.  Unfold The Future
5.  Retropolis

I really can't believe that no TFK album is rated at 4 stars or above.  For me, they are all better than 4 and a few of them get 5.  In fact, Stardust We Are and Space Revolver both got into my Top 6 albums of all time!

Have a look on prog polls too everybody.  I have posted a new TFK poll there.

Once again, nice one Captain and Cacho.

I'm fine, thank you Roger, how are you?,

I still need to get Stardust, Flower Power and Rainmaker. 

I'm going to have lunch now, I will post my top 5 songs of the Flower Kings later, hope you do that as wellSmile
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 09:33
^ I will do even better.  Here's my current Top 10, subject to regular change:-

1.  Stardust We Are
2.  I Am The Sun
3.  The Merrygoround
4.  Retropolis
5.  Monster Within
6.  Circus Brimstone
7.  Back In The World Of Adventures
8.  Silent Inferno
9.  Rumble Fish Twist
10. Theme For A Hero

Pablo, have a look at my new TFK poll, and cast your vote.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 09:52
Count me in with those PAers that are fans of Roine Stolt and The Flower Kings and their offshoots.  I'm currently spinning Karmakanic's Entering the Spectra, which is of course Flower King related.  And to think that I have Dream Theater and Mike Portnoy to thank for my fandom via Transatlantic, possibly the most awesome supergroup ever (although ELP kind of have a stranglehold on that title LOL).  I am a huge fan of all of the feeder bands into Transatlantic: TFK, Marillion, Spock's Beard, and Dream Theater.  I have also had much luck with most of TFK's band members' solo albums and side projects.  TFK were definitely an awesome find that has led to many excellent albums. 

Although, I must say I have neglected them a bit lately, which I must remedy shortly.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:05
Well Scott, having seen the reviews of Karmakanic's latest album, I have ordered it and very much look forward to giving it a spin. 
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:11
They made a stunning debut album. It's in fact the only album of theirs I listen to still, mostly Go West Judas. The guitaring is phenomenal. During my symphonis phase however, my favourite albums were probably Space Revolver and Paradox Hotel. A really great bunch of musicians
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 15:06
My favorite songs off each disc of theirs I own

The Blade of Cain - Adam & Eve
Church of Your Heart - Alive on Planet Earth 1
Big Puzzle - AoPE 2
Theme For a Hero - Back in the World of Adventures
BetchaWanna (Daytripper) - BetchaWannaDanceStoopid!
Astral Dog/Hellhound - Brimstoned In Europe
Kite - Edition Limitee Quebec
Garden of Dreams (Love is the Word) - Flower Power 1
Calling Home - FP 2
The Truth Will Set You Free - Meet The Flower Kings 1
Stardust We Are - Meet TFK 2
Pioneers of Aviation - Paradox Hotel 1
What If God Is Alone - PH 2
Red Alert - The Rainmaker (I don't care if it is a little more than 1 minute. I loved it when I first heard it and was absolutely devastated when it ended so abruptly)
Retropolis - Retropolis
World of Adventures - Scanning the Greenhouse
Monster Within - Space Revolver
Poor Mr. Rain's Ordinary Guitar - Stardust We Are 1
Ghost of the Red Cloud - SWA 2
Love Is the Only Answer - The Sum of No Evil 1
The River - TSoNE 2
Vox Humana - Unfold the Future 1
Grand Old World - UtF 2
The Sounds of Violence - The Flower King (I know it's technically a solo release from Roine but it is The Flower Kings)
Bizarre Seahorse Sex Attack - Hydrophonia (Well I included one other solo Roine release so why not this gem?)

I consider all of the above songs perfect.
I may have cheated in a few places by copping out and using a live version thus allowing 2 songs from the same disc on the list. Don't judge me. It wasn't easy to pick a favorite for any of the discs and some were downright impossible so I picked randomly.
Altair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Altair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 17:10
Wow, I've never heard of these guys, they sound pretty interesting to say the least. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good starting point?

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 17:12
Check out their streaming tracks here on PA and see what you think.  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=110 
Altair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Altair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 18:53
OK thanks, I'll have to check that out. I was thinking more of a particular album that might be a good place to start as well? Perhaps any would be good, I'm not sure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 19:27
It really depends on what you're into. If you like a jazzier sound, I suggest "Unfold the Future." Otherwise "Space Revolver" or "Paradox Hotel" are excellent places to start your Flower Kings journey.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 20:07
I didn't much care for their latest offering, although it did have some fantastic moments. However, I was sold when I finally heard Unfold The Future. Excellent album! And I think Jonas Reingold deserves a shout for that one. Right now I'm looking for Space Revolver because I've heard that's the one for me to go to next.
Altair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Altair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 17:34
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

It really depends on what you're into. If you like a jazzier sound, I suggest "Unfold the Future." Otherwise "Space Revolver" or "Paradox Hotel" are excellent places to start your Flower Kings journey.

Cool thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll seek out Space Revolver and go from there Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 21:04
Report back once you give Space Revolver a listen and hopefully the world will have one more TFK fan.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 06:13
Hi Altair.

I can only back up the recommendation of Space Revolver, it is an amazing album.  I also found it very immediate too, I loved it from the first spin.  You can probably guess by my avatar that it is one of my favourite albums of all time Approve.

I began my Flower Kings journey with Stardust We Are, which I picked based upon the reviews on PA.  I was not disappointed, as unbelievably, that is even better, although not quite as consistent as Space Revolver.  

Keep us informed Altair.

Edited by Roj M30 - January 19 2009 at 06:14
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 06:51

Smile
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost_of_morphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 11:28
Originally posted by Altair Altair wrote:

Wow, I've never heard of these guys, they sound pretty interesting to say the least. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good starting point?

Back in The World of Advenures or Stardust We Are would be both be appropriate starting points.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 486>