Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 20:30
I was listening to some Paradox Hotel today and got to "Lucy Had a Dream" (excellent song). Now it's been a while since I last heard this song and I forgot how ridiculous the ending is.

You'll be going on vacation. See, the thing is, if you about to be about this biotch, check it. Beep delta. We be flying all over this bitch. Let me axe you something. You fend(?) to raise up and get yo travel on?
From the interior to the exterior, you got to get yo posterior in one of deese big ass planes.You layin the cut straight sittin on yo ass and gettin yo drink on and yo snack on.

TFK is so white, I love it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Altair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Altair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 22:00
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

Report back once you give Space Revolver a listen and hopefully the world will have one more TFK fan.

Well, I gave Space Revolver a listen from beginning to end and I must say that I was blown away. I can't believe how intense, epic, and amazing that album is! Quite impressed and pleased to say the least. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

Hi Altair.

I can only back up the recommendation of Space Revolver, it is an amazing album.  I also found it very immediate too, I loved it from the first spin.  You can probably guess by my avatar that it is one of my favourite albums of all time Approve.

I began my Flower Kings journey with Stardust We Are, which I picked based upon the reviews on PA.  I was not disappointed, as unbelievably, that is even better, although not quite as consistent as Space Revolver.  

Keep us informed Altair.

Thanks for the reinforced recommendation, I love what I've heard so far from them. I think Space Revolver was a good place to start. I can see why its your avatar Thumbs Up

I will probably seek out Stardust We Are next, and look forward to hearing it.

Altair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Altair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 22:03
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Originally posted by Altair Altair wrote:

Wow, I've never heard of these guys, they sound pretty interesting to say the least. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good starting point?

Back in The World of Advenures or Stardust We Are would be both be appropriate starting points.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go for Stardust next, but I plan to hear all of their records eventually.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 22:23
I love TFK, one of the most epic bands ever. Albums in order of preference:

1. Unfold the Future
2. Retropolis
3. Back in the World of Adventures
4. Space Revolver
5. Stardust We Are
6. The Flower King
7. Flower Power
8. The Sum of No Evil
9. The Rainmaker
10. Paradox Hotel
11. Adam & Eve
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 22:33
Originally posted by Altair Altair wrote:

Report back once you give Space Revolver a listen and hopefully the world will have one more TFK fan.

Well, I gave Space Revolver a listen from beginning to end and I must say that I was blown away. I can't believe how intense, epic, and amazing that album is! Quite impressed and pleased to say the least. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

Hi Altair.

I can only back up the recommendation of Space Revolver, it is an amazing album.  I also found it very immediate too, I loved it from the first spin.  You can probably guess by my avatar that it is one of my favourite albums of all time Approve.

I began my Flower Kings journey with Stardust We Are, which I picked based upon the reviews on PA.  I was not disappointed, as unbelievably, that is even better, although not quite as consistent as Space Revolver.  

Keep us informed Altair.

Thanks for the reinforced recommendation, I love what I've heard so far from them. I think Space Revolver was a good place to start. I can see why its your avatar Thumbs Up

I will probably seek out Stardust We Are next, and look forward to hearing it.

I'm ecstatic that you seem to be on your way to becoming a fan of The Flower Kings. I think that they have a sound that should appeal to many people if only they got the chance to hear the band.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 03:21
Well done Altair, you certainly didn't waste any time!  I'm really glad you like the album.  It's a classic. 

Keep us informed once you get any more.  Stardust We Are is more expensive, being a double, however it is well worth it.  Most of the album is great but the 25 min. title track is AWESOME, a wonderful piece of music.
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassman4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2009 at 22:20
Wow ! I'm in the middle of studying TFK.  So far... Unfold The Future and Space Revolver are my favorites.
 tunes on my compilation cd...
                                                    The Truth Will Set You Free
                                                     Black and White
                                                     Monkey Business
                                                     Rollin The Dice
                                                     Don Of The Universe
                                                     I Am The Sun part 2
                                                     Chicken Farmer Song
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 12:37
Good list with plenty of my favorites from UTF, and Space Revolver. I recommend listening to Stardust We Are some more as there are plenty of other gems on there in addition to Don Of The Universe. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 11:29
I discovered them with Space Revolver in 2000 and quickly bought the back catalogue and everything since. To this day they remain one of my favourites of the newer Prog bands. The Sum of No Evil was a great return to form after for me at least, a couple of patchy cd's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 07:55
Looks like Roine has been working on a side project as of late.
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=130307592&blogID=467533284

It's got Pat Mastelotto, Zoltan Csorsz (yay!), Jimmy Keegan, Jonas Reingold, Biggo Zelfries (new pianist), and Nad Sylvan.

I wish Roine wouldn't make so much music because I am a helpless fanboy and will buy anything he's a part of. Plus I have to be saving up for Nearfest this year.
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassman4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 20:40
I love this music.  more is good ! Smile and if I might add ...as suggested ,Stardust has great all over it.Clap

Edited by bassman4 - February 03 2009 at 20:56
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 08:01
Hi fellow Flower Kings appreciators Smile.

Whilst TFK are synonymous with their symphonic work, and particularly the epics, they do like to throw in the occasional more straightforward rocker.  I was wondering which of these was most popular.  I'm quite partial to Paradox Hotel (from my most recent TFK acquisition) but my favourite just has to be the superb Sword Of God, from the much-maligned Rainmaker album.  What a track that is, the chorus is just outstanding, and the instrumental section is great too.  What does everybody else think?

Incidentally, IMHO, Rainmaker is a fine album.  I'll admit it's not their best, but there's some wonderful music on there.  I know some people really like the album, but generally it's not popular at all. 
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 08:09
^my favorite from the rockers, is Kings Prayer. Unless you don't consider it a rocker, then Life Will Kill You it is.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2009 at 19:48
There are few things by The Flower Kings that I would call a "standard rocker" while there are undoubtedly simpler songs. So with that in mind, my vote goes to Monkey Business.
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2009 at 02:52
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Huh ? What ? A TFK appreciation thread ???? Sorry guys I was just awakening from my hibernation (Roj knows what I'm talking about Wink). Goodness me how could I have missed this thread !! Terrible shame on me. I can only make this up by posting a personal top 50 of this best band ever. Maybe in that case I can save a bit of my credibility as biggest TFK fan on PA (or is that too late already ????) Here it comes guys:

1. Monsters & Men  5+*
2. Garden of Dreams 5+*
3. Humanizzimo (actually Roine solo but we all know this is justified) 5*
4. Stardust we Are 5*
5. Devil's Playground 4,75*
6. I am the Sun pt.1 4,75*
7. Judas Kiss 4,75*
8. In the Eyes of the world  4,75*
9. Merry go Round  4,75*
10. Touch my Heaven  4,75*
11. The Truth will set you free  4,75*
12. Dissonata  4,75*
13. Retropolis  4,75*
14. Go West Judas  4,75*
15. Life will kill you  4,75*
16. Love Supreme  4,75*
17. Road to Sanctuary  4,75*
18. Big Puzzle  4,75*
19. Driver's Seat  4,75*
20. Love is the Only Answer  4,75*
21. Monster Within  4,75*
22. The Sum of no Reason  4,75*
23. Silent Inferno  4,75*
24. One More Time  4,75*
25. Deaf Numb & Blind  4,75*
26. Minor Giant Steps  4,5*
27. There is more to this World  4,5*
28. A King's Prayer  4,5*
29. Slave to money  4,5*
30. Serious Dreamers  4,5*
31. Kingdom of Lies  4,5*
32. Painter  4,25*
33. Astral Dog  4,25*
34. Last Minute on Earth  4,25*
35. I am the Sun pt.2  4,25*
36. Rumble Fish Twist  4,25*
37. Church of your Heart  4,25*
38. Road Back Home  4,25*
39. Flora Majora  4,25*
40. Magic Circus of Zeb  4,25*
41. World of Adventure  4,25*
42. Magic Pie  4*
43. Theme for a Hero  4*
44. Life in Motion  4*
45. Blue Planet  4*
46. Pioneers of Aviation  4*
47. City of Angels  4*
48. End on a high Note  4*
49. Genie in a Bottle  4*
50. Black and White/Just this once  4*

Hope to have made up for my way overdue reaction. TFK rulesssssssssssssssssssssssss for sure !!!

Edited by progrules - July 30 2009 at 03:22
A day without prog is a wasted day
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2009 at 12:24
Wow. One day I will make a list of my top 50 TFK songs to rival that act of sheer fanboyism.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2009 at 12:34

There are few things by The Flower Kings that I would call a "standard rocker" while there are undoubtedly simpler songs. So with that in mind, my vote goes to Monkey Business.

Ah, Monkey Business is one of the finest of simpler songs of The Flower Kings, Jonas rules in that song!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 03:13
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Huh ? What ? A TFK appreciation thread ???? Sorry guys I was just awakening from my hibernation (Roj knows what I'm talking about Wink). Goodness me how could I have missed this thread !! Terrible shame on me. I can only make this up by posting a personal top 50 of this best band ever. Maybe in that case I can save a bit of my credibility as biggest TFK fan on PA (or is that too late already ????) Here it comes guys:

Clap Very nice post Henk, hope you are well. 

Don't worry I think your position is safe, although we do have a nice fan club building up here.  Roland 113, The Captain and Cacho are all big fans, amongst others.

A great list, but that is like kicking in the proverbial open door as you say.  I'll try and do a top 20 myself soon.

Edited by Roj M30 - February 23 2009 at 03:14
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 03:14
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Ah, Monkey Business is one of the finest of simpler songs of The Flower Kings, Jonas rules in that song!

Seconded (thirded?)

Monkey Business is indeed a great song.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 03:34
I've been really getting into Meet The Flower Kings @ Live Recording 2003
The Truth Will set You free - all 31 minutes is truly awesome.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 486>