Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 07:31
Good morning all,

I had apparently missed this thread until Roj pointed it out to me (Thanks buddy).

Simply put, The Flower Kings, over the past two years, have become one of my top two favorite bands and are the only band that I'll put in the same class as Genesis.  I believe my listening history in my signature will offer the proof, and frankly, if I could get my dang iPod to synch up with LastFM there would probably be about 500 additional listens.

How did I discover The Flower Kings?  About three years ago, I quit smoking (seriously, this comes into play) and was still listening to mostly electronica.  Genesis was still my favorite band all time, but I rarely listened to them at that point in my life.

About two years ago, I was getting bored with electronica and set up a play list that would randomly play anything on my computer that had never been listened to.  As fate would have it, the computer stumbled on to the overature from Metropolis (the album).  That spurred me on a Dream Theater kick, so for a while I started listening to a lot of Dream Theater in the car.  Around the same time, a the Genesis reunion tour was being organized which put me on a Genesis kick as well.

For the better part of a month I was listening to Genesis and Dream Theater almost exclusively and came to a startling realization in there.  My voice had returned.  After being off cigarettes for a year, I was finally able to carry a tune again.  No more breaking into hacking fits after every three notes.

From there my new appetite for Prog grew exponentially.  iTunes started me on the right foot by doing the 'If you like Dream Theater, then you may enjoy Spock's Beard, Transatlantic or The Flower Kings'.

In very short order, I found iTunes to be dead on.

Over the next two years (also the last two years) I've managed to acquire the entire studio catalog of Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings.  The Kings have risen above the other bands because I've never gotten burnt out on them.  I can still listen to 'I Am the Sun' for the 160th time and enjoy it as much as the first (I still sing the beeginning of part 2 to my one year old when I put her to sleep every night).

ok, now that I've done the first part of my life story, I'll get back to work and post a little more this evening.

Either way, love the band, love the thread and currently, I'm loving 'Unfold the Future'

Roland
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 14:54
I should get a last.fm account if only to keep track of how much time I spend (arguably waste) listening to music.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 08:40
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Huh ? What ? A TFK appreciation thread ???? Sorry guys I was just awakening from my hibernation (Roj knows what I'm talking about Wink). Goodness me how could I have missed this thread !! Terrible shame on me. I can only make this up by posting a personal top 50 of this best band ever. Maybe in that case I can save a bit of my credibility as biggest TFK fan on PA (or is that too late already ????) Here it comes guys:

Clap Very nice post Henk, hope you are well. 

Don't worry I think your position is safe, although we do have a nice fan club building up here.  Roland 113, The Captain and Cacho are all big fans, amongst others.

A great list, but that is like kicking in the proverbial open door as you say.  I'll try and do a top 20 myself soon.

Thanks buddy and you know that I was just teasing you with Cacho and the where's Roger thing. That leaves us only the where's Zitro subject. Where is he ? It's easy to say there's less competition for the no.1 spot without him but it also means a guy less for the fanclub and I think that's more important.
By the way, Cacho and you are great competition too with your shower of topics and threads about TFK.
I'd better watch out.  Shocked
A day without prog is a wasted day
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassman4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 18:51
just recently heard Rain Maker and The Sum Of No Evil ,both are keepers.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 19:11

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Huh ? What ? A TFK appreciation thread ???? Sorry guys I was just awakening from my hibernation (Roj knows what I'm talking about Wink). Goodness me how could I have missed this thread !! Terrible shame on me. I can only make this up by posting a personal top 50 of this best band ever. Maybe in that case I can save a bit of my credibility as biggest TFK fan on PA (or is that too late already ????) Here it comes guys:

Clap Very nice post Henk, hope you are well. 

Don't worry I think your position is safe, although we do have a nice fan club building up here.  Roland 113, The Captain and Cacho are all big fans, amongst others.

A great list, but that is like kicking in the proverbial open door as you say.  I'll try and do a top 20 myself soon.

Thanks buddy and you know that I was just teasing you with Cacho and the where's Roger thing. That leaves us only the where's Zitro subject. Where is he ? It's easy to say there's less competition for the no.1 spot without him but it also means a guy less for the fanclub and I think that's more important.
By the way, Cacho and you are great competition too with your shower of topics and threads about TFK.
I'd better watch out.  Shocked

LOLGlad I'm considered a big fan of them around the forumEmbarrassedSmile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 19:19
I suppose I need to prove my worth as a Flower Kings fan (not like I created this thread or anything...Tongue).
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 19:21
^Ha, don't worry man, I count you in! Just provide some 5 star reviews by them and you're in!Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 19:32
I've got one coming up for UTF in hopes of bringing it to a 4.00 rating. I am, however, giving up music for Lent (the next 40 days in a few hours) as a dare, not for religious reasons so there won't be any from me for a while. 
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 03:19
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

I've got one coming up for UTF in hopes of bringing it to a 4.00 rating. 

Don't worry, Captain, you are in, big time!!

Good idea re: the review for UTF, a definite 5-star in my book too.   I really must review some more FK albums, it's just I really struggle to find the time.
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 12:38

I suppose I need to prove my worth as a Flower Kings fan (not like I created this thread or anything...Tongue).

You're quite right here. No offence, sir ! It's just that Roj and Cacho and I have a bit of history in another TFK thread. But I'm very glad to see the club expanding. The more people the more fun ! And TFK can use more real fans. Most of their albums have less than 100 ratings, which is a shame of course.
A day without prog is a wasted day
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 20:45

I've got one coming up for UTF in hopes of bringing it to a 4.00 rating. I am, however, giving up music for Lent (the next 40 days in a few hours) as a dare, not for religious reasons so there won't be any from me for a while. 

*blinks* huh?

Giving up music for lent on a dare? 

Seriously, in the words of Nancy Reagan "Just Say No"

No way I could give up music for a month, let alone forty days, seriously, even if I was on a desert island, I'd be singing most of the time.

Good luck,

Roland

PS, if you haven't nominated any songs, I have a FK poll going for best FK song.  Round one is active...nominations.  Round 2 involves voting on the most highly nominated songs.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 20:58
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

*blinks* huh?

Giving up music for lent on a dare? 

Seriously, in the words of Nancy Reagan "Just Say No"

No way I could give up music for a month, let alone forty days, seriously, even if I was on a desert island, I'd be singing most of the time.

Good luck,

Roland

PS, if you haven't nominated any songs, I have a FK poll going for best FK song.  Round one is active...nominations.  Round 2 involves voting on the most highly nominated songs.

I already accidentally listened some music in less than a day. I got on my computer and through habit I opened iTunes and started playing music. I realized what I was doing after about a minute of music. In order to prevent this from happening again I got rid of all music shortcuts that I might accidentally click. I did not realize how tough this would be so I added a monetary wager with a friend to help keep me clean, so to speak.

And I just got back from adding a few nominations to the poll, most of which have already been mentioned.
Eraserhead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eraserhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 13:41
The only Flower Kings album I've heard is Retropolis, but it is fantastic!
In heaven, everything is fine
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 11:11

Well guys, I am off on a weeks holiday from tomorrow, some well deserved R n R coming my way.

As I can be found on this thread very frequently, just in case my absence is noted on here, you now all know where I am Wink, far from a pc and internet cafe, lying on a sun-drenched beach Approve.

Speak soon all.

Roj.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 12:22
Currently listening to Stardust We Are, which I was gifted with by a non-prog fan about a couple of years ago (I had it on a wish list).  I like it, but it hasn't turned me in to a fan and given me the urge to get my hands on as many other albums as I can.  I'm game though.  What should I check out next?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 15:22

Well guys, I am off on a weeks holiday from tomorrow, some well deserved R n R coming my way.

As I can be found on this thread very frequently, just in case my absence is noted on here, you now all know where I am Wink, far from a pc and internet cafe, lying on a sun-drenched beach Approve.

Speak soon all.

Roj.

Hey Roj,

Enjoy the vacation and try not to get too burnt from the sun.

Roland

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Currently listening to Stardust We Are, which I was gifted with by a non-prog fan about a couple of years ago (I had it on a wish list).  I like it, but it hasn't turned me in to a fan and given me the urge to get my hands on as many other albums as I can.  I'm game though.  What should I check out next?

Slarti,

Normally I suggest Space Revolver to anyone that hasn't picked it up yet, though if Stardust isn't doing it for you then you may want to try Paradox Hotel first.  Unfold the Future is great as well, though it's a lot more jazzy then the rest of their work.

Enjoy

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 15:53
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Slarti,

Normally I suggest Space Revolver to anyone that hasn't picked it up yet, though if Stardust isn't doing it for you then you may want to try Paradox Hotel first.  Unfold the Future is great as well, though it's a lot more jazzy then the rest of their work.

Enjoy

I haven't heard Stardust, but heard the sample here, so as far as I'm concerned, if Stardust didn't click you, then don't check backwards.

I would say Space Revolver or Unfold the Future, that is if you like a good mix of symphonic and jazzy leanings. If you don't, then like Roland suggested, check Paradox Hotel or Adam & Eve.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 15:54

Speak soon all.

Roj.

Have a great time there Roger, enjoy!

Will miss ya, here in the TFK Appreciation thread
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 16:57

Paradox Hotel would be my recommendation followed by Space Revolver. It's a little hard to give a sufficient recommendation since you haven't said what you didn't like or did like about Stardust We Are. I do think that Paradox Hotel is probably the most different from Stardust We Are while still be excellent.

Also, Cacho, nice new avatar. Although I did like the eye-catching orangeness of the last one, I approve of John Lord.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 486>