Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 168169170171172 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 08:05
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

^yep, the Adam & Eve cover is pretty embarassing for a serious prog band.

I actually like the cover more than the album itself Smile  Okay, that's an exaggeration, but I think it's a very nicely done painting........even if it's maybe not the best choice for a TFK album cover.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 08:09
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Ok, thanks, I take My Chicken Farmer song seriously since all the bashing it has received around  here... 

I think that if prog bands would "lighten up" a bit more and do songs like Chicken Farmer, prog would be a lot more popular and that would serve us all.  Tales by YES is one of my top 3 YES records, but every song doesn't need to be a 30 minute opus!

And yes, the new FK album cover is great, much better then naked women with monkeys.  I wonder who thought of that idea???

Bashing?  I don't think there has been any bashing.  At least, all I said was that it's not one of my favorite FK songs, but that it's still a decent song.  I also don't think that more songs like that would make prog anymore popular.  Let's face it, the middle guitar solo would cause all, or nearly all, typical music listeners to tune out.

Having said all that, I agree totally that every song doesn't need to be a 30 minute opus.........my favorite FK song is 60 minutes Wink

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 08:13
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

^yep, the Adam & Eve cover is pretty embarassing for a serious prog band.

What do you mean man, that is my favorite cover of theirs.  The only problem is that I can't convince my wife that we need to recreate the picture.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 13:04
Guys, can a Flower Kings album, for once, have at least a 4 star rating on this site???

3.99 | 229 ratings | 42 reviews | 25% 5 stars

Excellent addition to any
prog rock music collection

Somebody write a 5 star review!!! Tongue

Edited by darkshade - March 14 2012 at 13:05
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 13:39
The Flower Kings get weak ratings while Swilson's latest mediocre album is hailed as a masterpiece. This is why I stopped paying attention to PA's rating averages.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 13:46
What Ive also found baffling, is Roine's solo albums have better ratings, as do Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Agents of Mercy, and The Tangent; yet TFK have just as good albums as all those acts, some even better.

I don't really care either about the ratings, but I couldn't help notice BITWOA was .01 stars away from 4 stars. It sucks because I think a lot of TFK haters gave bad ratings and reviews earlier in this site's history, that by the time AOM or The Whirlwind came around, those haters had dropped off, since they get good ratings, as does Neal.

Also, I agree that Steven Wilson's new one is highly overrated, maybe the most overrated prog album of the last 5 years or so. Maybe 10 years.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 08:05
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

The Flower Kings get weak ratings while Swilson's latest mediocre album is hailed as a masterpiece. This is why I stopped paying attention to PA's rating averages.

Well, I love Grace For Drowning and think it deserves the high ratings.  I think I gave it 4 stars, only because I don't give a new album 5 stars......unless it's a Flower Kings album :-)    (I just find that some albums that seem like masterpieces to me, I end up never listening to after a few months.....unlike, say, Tales From Topographic Oceans or Unfold The Future)   I think it's the best thing he's ever recorded, bar none.

I totally agree about the Flower Kings though.  It seems that the collaborators don't care much for them, as they tend to give them lower ratings, which then skews the average towards the lower end (since their ratings get more weight than us lowly members).

Edited by infandous - March 15 2012 at 08:06
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 08:08
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

What Ive also found baffling, is Roine's solo albums have better ratings, as do Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Agents of Mercy, and The Tangent; yet TFK have just as good albums as all those acts, some even better.

I don't really care either about the ratings, but I couldn't help notice BITWOA was .01 stars away from 4 stars. It sucks because I think a lot of TFK haters gave bad ratings and reviews earlier in this site's history, that by the time AOM or The Whirlwind came around, those haters had dropped off, since they get good ratings, as does Neal.

Also, I agree that Steven Wilson's new one is highly overrated, maybe the most overrated prog album of the last 5 years or so. Maybe 10 years.

Well, as I said, the haters haven't dropped off, they just never bothered to listen to the other projects of FK members, since they don't like FK.  Most of the low rating are collaborators, whose ratings get more weight than normal members.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 08:31
The ratings system on PA is enough to drive me crazy.  I knew it was time to give up reviewing when a 4 star review of mine for an album actually caused it's rating on the site to drop from 2.9 to below 2.6!!!!!!!  Yes, honestly.  What a joke.  When I'm researching I just read the reviews and only consider the ratings if the album has a colossal number of reviews.

Gus and I are in agreement re Grace For Drowning with the exception of Raider II the epic which I am not keen on and I know he loves.  I really like the direction SW is going in, the last PT album is their best for me and a massive improvement on FOABP which I really disliked.

Anybody heard The Octopus by Amplifier?  This is an album I'm really loving and probably my favourite 2011 prog album overall.  Proggy space rock with a large slab of indie makes a nice concoction I think.  It's not all brilliant but there are several moments of sheer genius to these ears.  I really must explore their back catologue.

To finish, how wonderful that we now have a release date for Banks of Eden.  It looks like the recording must be complete as the guys have been up to other things lately.  I discovered TFK only a few months after Sum of No Evil was released so my entire TFK lifetime has been awaiting a new opus.  I can't wait.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 08:32
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Well, as I said, the haters haven't dropped off, they just never bothered to listen to the other projects of FK members, since they don't like FK.  Most of the low rating are collaborators, whose ratings get more weight than normal members.
As if on queue, I posted 3rd World Electric's album in the recommended instrumental prog thread. Smile
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 08:43
rating systems are helpful in narrowing a search.  after that, personal opinion reigns supreme.  an example is the recent 2 star review of CttE.  i get it.  some folks just don't like the sound of Yes.

i'm curious about how you guys listen to your prog.  i'm finding that it's more of an event than with other music.  i've been hot and cold with Adam and Eve for the last several weeks.  however, when i listen with earphones in an environment where i can concentrate, ti's much better.  bombastic prog does not work with kids in the car or a house full of 'em.  :-)  also, there is so much out there to listen too.  i'm overwhelmed.  i'm just focusing on a few artists at this point.  trying to be a completist with FK and related projects would be a nightmare.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 09:04
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

trying to be a completist with FK and related projects would be a nightmare.

You're telling me. That's what I'm doing right now. In the last year and a half or so, Ive gathered up these albums:

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
Transatlantic - SMPTe
Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
Transatlantic - Whirld Tour 2010
Roine Stolt - The Flower King
The Flower Kings - Back In The World of Adventures
The Flower Kings - Retropolis
The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are
The Flower Kings - Flower Power
The Flower Kings - Space Revolver
The Flower Kings - The Rainmaker
The Flower Kings - Unfold The Future
The Flower Kings - Adam & Eve
The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel
The Flower Kings - The Sum Of No Evil
Karmakanic - Entering The Spectra
Karmakanic - Wheel Of Life
Karmakanic - Who's The Boss In The Factory?
Karmakanic - In A Perfect World
Agents Of Mercy - The Black Forest
Neal Morse - ?
Tomas Bodin - I AM
3rd World Electric - Kilimanjaro Secret Brew
The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone
The Tangent - The World That We Drive Through
The Tangent - A Place In The Queue
The Tangent - Not As Good As The Book
The Tangent - Down and Out In Paris and London
The Tangent - COMM

I think I'm halfway done Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 09:31

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

trying to be a completist with FK and related projects would be a nightmare.

You're telling me. That's what I'm doing right now. In the last year and a half or so, Ive gathered up these albums:

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
Transatlantic - SMPTe
Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
Transatlantic - Whirld Tour 2010
Roine Stolt - The Flower King
The Flower Kings - Back In The World of Adventures
The Flower Kings - Retropolis
The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are
The Flower Kings - Flower Power
The Flower Kings - Space Revolver
The Flower Kings - The Rainmaker
The Flower Kings - Unfold The Future
The Flower Kings - Adam & Eve
The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel
The Flower Kings - The Sum Of No Evil
Karmakanic - Entering The Spectra
Karmakanic - Wheel Of Life
Karmakanic - Who's The Boss In The Factory?
Karmakanic - In A Perfect World
Agents Of Mercy - The Black Forest
Neal Morse - ?
Tomas Bodin - I AM
3rd World Electric - Kilimanjaro Secret Brew
The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone
The Tangent - The World That We Drive Through
The Tangent - A Place In The Queue
The Tangent - Not As Good As The Book
The Tangent - Down and Out In Paris and London
The Tangent - COMM

I think I'm halfway done Wink
I have a fairly sizable FK and related collection too.  I know that I don't have early Kaipa releases and Roine's early solo releases, but I have just about everything since The Flower Kings came around.  Although, I am sure that I am missing some things.  I know I don't have the latests Tomas Bodin solo releases, and the latest Pain of Salvation releases, since I guess technically they would count as related.  Also, not sure what former drummers and Roine's brother have been up to, or whether or not they have other releases that I don't have. I suspect that I probably fall further behind every other day at the rate these guys release things.  LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 10:12
I forgot about Pain of Salvation being related. and I didnt mention other Neal Morse albums since the other ones don't feature any TFK members.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 11:11
I noticed on the band's PA page, that Hasse Froberg is listed as part of the line-up on Back In The World of Adventures, but not on Retropolis. Yet, he's on Retropolis, and not on World of Adventures.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 12:16
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Ok, thanks, I take My Chicken Farmer song seriously since all the bashing it has received around  here... 

I think that if prog bands would "lighten up" a bit more and do songs like Chicken Farmer, prog would be a lot more popular and that would serve us all.  Tales by YES is one of my top 3 YES records, but every song doesn't need to be a 30 minute opus!

Bashing?  I don't think there has been any bashing.  At least, all I said was that it's not one of my favorite FK songs, but that it's still a decent song.  I also don't think that more songs like that would make prog anymore popular.  Let's face it, the middle guitar solo would cause all, or nearly all, typical music listeners to tune out.

Having said all that, I agree totally that every song doesn't need to be a 30 minute opus.........my favorite FK song is 60 minutes Wink

Ah Ha!!!!!   Gotcha infandous,Wink

I knew I would get a squawk out of you with my original comment about Chiken Farmer Song Bashing as bait.  If you were so innocent, why did you feel compelled to defend youself???. We've have been told for ages, that only the guilty need a defense or a lawyer!

Hmm...   Lets see you get out of that!Smile

I think you like The Chicken Farmer Song more than you wanna admit, because in the "hardcore Flower King circles"
there is an "unwritten" rule that real Flower King fans only like 50 minute run-on pieces with a million vague atonal jazz intervals...

Tongue   Big smile    LOL
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 12:51
You guys are STILL talking about Chicken Farmer Song? Wink

As someone who listens to a lot of jazz, when the band get's jazzy, it's not very atonal to my ears. They don't get too 'free' in their playing. It usually reminds me of post-bop, but really adventurous post-bop, like it wants to go in the free jazz direction, but never quite makes it.

OR they go in the more fusion direction (Jonas bumpin the bass while Tomas is playing a synth line, etc.)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 17:46
It is currently Chicken Farmer Song time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 19:21
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

It is currently Chicken Farmer Song time.

YES!!!!!!!!

I knew a RUSH fan wold come along and bring some sense back to this thread.Wink

rushfan4:  I salute you and am about to blast Hemispheres Side 1 in your honor.

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 20:23

You guys are STILL talking about Chicken Farmer Song? Wink

As someone who listens to a lot of jazz, when the band get's jazzy, it's not very atonal to my ears. They don't get too 'free' in their playing. It usually reminds me of post-bop, but really adventurous post-bop, like it wants to go in the free jazz direction, but never quite makes it.

OR they go in the more fusion direction (Jonas bumpin the bass while Tomas is playing a synth line, etc.)

Hi darkshade,Smile

Please do remember, this thread was highjacked(by meWink) and has been re-established as:

The New(and improved) Chicken Farmer Song Thread - Please see prior pages for details.

As far as the millions of atonal jazz intervals, I referred to, I was just having some fun with infandous.
Though I do prefer the more classical edge to a prog band a la ELP & YES, I do really enjoy TFK, but their jazzy/fusion side sounds like every other jazz/fusion band like Return to Forever, and I have heard that stuff already, in spades.  I admire the jazz side of TFK but it just doesn't strike me as original.  But yes, people could say the same thing about the classical ideas that a band like ELP kinda recycled, so I know this is all just me.

I am probably the only one here in this thread that prefers Roine's brother on bass to Jonas.  I never cared for that
hundreds of notes in the high register jazz stuff that Jonas does(a la Jaco Pastorius).  I like the bass to kick me in the gut and move me across the floor a bit, like the bass in:

Genesis   - bass very deep and powerful
YES - Pure Groovin low end satisfaction!
TFK Chicken Farmer Song - Awesome deep bass! (Yes I know that is Jonas playin)
Renaissance - That bass really gives that band some stones!
The Who - John E. makes little doubt that the bass has the LOW end well covered
ELP - Check out the bass in Tarkus - Eruption or A Time And A Place
and perhaps the best example:
Geddy Lee:  Play "In The End" on a good stereo and dig the bass. Tongue   Big smile  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 168169170171172 486>