Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 205206207208209 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:19
And of course I was listening to Yes/Genesis in the late 70's way before the FK's were on the scene.....
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:25
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Some of Space Revolver and  Unfold the Future. 

The vocals are terrible, even when they're compared to The Tangent. Plus the whole atmosphere just puts me off, and slightly cringe. 
I'm not a big fan of those albums either, but I love The Sum of No Evil, perhaps you may like it as well. The vocals on that album almost reminded me of Bruce Springsteen in parts. I also agree that the others have a strange atmosphere but TSONE's I thought didn't put me off as much and I grew to love it. I've never been able to gget into The Tangent however (though I've never really tried that hard) so I can't comment on that, but try The Sum of No Evil as well, maybe you'll like it.
I have 1 CD by "The Tangent" ITWTWDT - and it didn't impress me on one spin - so It's one of the many that I may go back to but when I get home from a hard day sorting out Audi's reporting suite etc - I usually want to play something I know will give me a buzz - thus it's hard to give a CD that didn't impress a lot on spin 1 to give it a second go...Who's with me on this ???

If it's any consolation, that Tangent album may be the least best or 2nd least best album by them. I say "least best" because I think all The Tangent albums are good.
I may buy another then! - To be fair I have gone back to CD's that haven't impressed on spin 1 and they blow me away on second spin - it's all about picking the CD for the right mood.....
And it took me two years to get into Yes from loving Genesis/Camel almost straight away.....

Well, The Tangent are all different.

The Music That Died Alone
- is similar in sound to TWTWDT, but a better album, more energy and better writing. Roine, Jonas, and Zoltan are there. Epic songs, but very very jazzy.

A Place In the Queue - Contains probably the band's best epic In Earnest. Jonas is still there, and Jamie Salazar on drums. More experimental and jazzier than the previous 2 albums, but is one of the stronger albums by them. Get the special edition.

COMM - If you want to hear the band moved away from any Flower Kings influence, this is it. This is their best album since APITQ and my favorite. There's an almost Dream Theater vibe to some parts, but overall, it's a very fun symphonic album with some Canterbury influence (of course). The keys are rejuventated after the previous lesser-inspired album Down and Out In Paris and London. The new guitarist is on fire, and is another reason this album is so good; he is also sort of why I feel there's a little Dream Theater vibe at times.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:39
Looks like Jonas Reingold sings for Dream Theater now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swedishgoose/7074747775/lightbox/
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 19:38

The urge to listen to TFK is strong today. Ive been holding off until BoE comes out, because I know I'm going to gorge myself on their music. Ive been keeping myself busy with Transatlantic, The Tangent, Spock's Beard, Karmakanic, Tomas Bodin, Dream Theater, Neal Morse, Agents of Mercy, Beardfish, and anything else Ive missed. I'm running out of albums!

man after my own heart.

i emailed tomas about cinematograaf.  he said it's out of print.  anyone have a copy they want to part with?

c
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 19:41
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

The urge to listen to TFK is strong today. Ive been holding off until BoE comes out, because I know I'm going to gorge myself on their music. Ive been keeping myself busy with Transatlantic, The Tangent, Spock's Beard, Karmakanic, Tomas Bodin, Dream Theater, Neal Morse, Agents of Mercy, Beardfish, and anything else Ive missed. I'm running out of albums!

man after my own heart.

i emailed tomas about cinematograaf.  he said it's out of print.  anyone have a copy they want to part with?

c

I don't. How'd you manage to get in contact with Tomas?
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 21:39
i just sent a note to the email address on his shop page on his site.  he emailed me back in minutes.  pretty neat.  i really want a copy of that album!!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 22:43
I've mentioned before how Monster Within has always been one of my least favorite TFK songs. Well, I listened to it for the first time in a while today, and I found myself really digging it. Perhaps I finally "get" the song... or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention before.
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 22:51
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

I've mentioned before how Monster Within has always been one of my least favorite TFK songs. Well, I listened to it for the first time in a while today, and I found myself really digging it. Perhaps I finally "get" the song... or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention before.

Took me a few spins to get it too. Now it's one of mu favorites Thumbs Up
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 05:56

It's certainly one of their more meandering songs. Lord knows how that put stuff like this together and how they ever remember it all in concert. Did they ever play it live?

I love all the different sections but even after 12 years of knowing the song, I couldn't sing the whole in my head.

It's kind of gloriously disjointed LOL

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 08:34
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

It's certainly one of their more meandering songs. Lord knows how that put stuff like this together and how they ever remember it all in concert. Did they ever play it live?

I love all the different sections but even after 12 years of knowing the song, I couldn't sing the whole in my head.

It's kind of gloriously disjointed LOL

I've always loved that song.  It's a 25 minute epic in 12 minutes Clap  There is one section that sounds just like classic Kansas, which I love because that is something you never hear in Flower Kings music.

I agree though, that it does jump around and maybe would be an example of a song that could have been improved by making it longer, giving the sections more time to develop.

The band have never played that song live.

Edited by infandous - June 08 2012 at 08:35
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 08:36

Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

Some of Space Revolver and  Unfold the Future. 

The vocals are terrible, even when they're compared to The Tangent. Plus the whole atmosphere just puts me off, and slightly cringe. 
I'm not a big fan of those albums either, but I love The Sum of No Evil, perhaps you may like it as well. The vocals on that album almost reminded me of Bruce Springsteen in parts. I also agree that the others have a strange atmosphere but TSONE's I thought didn't put me off as much and I grew to love it. I've never been able to gget into The Tangent however (though I've never really tried that hard) so I can't comment on that, but try The Sum of No Evil as well, maybe you'll like it.
I have 1 CD by "The Tangent" ITWTWDT - and it didn't impress me on one spin - so It's one of the many that I may go back to but when I get home from a hard day sorting out Audi's reporting suite etc - I usually want to play something I know will give me a buzz - thus it's hard to give a CD that didn't impress a lot on spin 1 to give it a second go...Who's with me on this ???

If it's any consolation, that Tangent album may be the least best or 2nd least best album by them. I say "least best" because I think all The Tangent albums are good.
I may buy another then! - To be fair I have gone back to CD's that haven't impressed on spin 1 and they blow me away on second spin - it's all about picking the CD for the right mood.....
And it took me two years to get into Yes from loving Genesis/Camel almost straight away.....

Yeah, World That We Drive Through is my least favorite (but still very good) Tangent album.  I'd recommend A Place In The Queue or COMM.  Queue is a solid 80 minute long album, so might take a bit more time to absorb, but it's my favorite by far.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 08:38
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

i just sent a note to the email address on his shop page on his site.  he emailed me back in minutes.  pretty neat.  i really want a copy of that album!!

Yeah, many years ago, when I first got into the band, I emailed Tomas and he was very happy to talk about the band with me.  I requested they do Circus Brimstone live, and sure enough, it appeared in the set a year or two later Big smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 10:59
Craig, I don't know where you can get a copy of the first two Karmakanic albums, other than Amazon who charge $200 bucks for a copy Confused. Same thing with the Bodin album, no idea.

Why are the first two Karmakanic albums so expensive? None of the other TFK-family bands have ridiculously priced albums.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 11:06
out of print stuff tends to get really expensive when non-fan sellers get a hold of them and try to sell them for over $50.  really sucks.  i've been able to find some things at a more reasonable price, but the first two Karmakianic albums are are way too much.  i've listened to them on youtube, and they're not that good either.  so, no big loss.  i did fine cinematograaf at: insideout.de.  gonna get that.  no luck on brimstoned in europe though.  i'm on a mission!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 11:30
Craig,  Greg didn't have those?  I'm surprised.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 17:12
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Craig,  Greg didn't have those?  I'm surprised.

yeah, he didn't have Cinematograaf, Spectra, Wheel, or Circus of Brimstone.  i guess the karmakanic ones are long out of print.  i found cinematograaf at inside/out europe store.  not too worried about the karmakanic ones.  i really would like to have wheel of life though.  would also like circus of brimstone tooUnhappy  i didn't email greg about that one though.  it's a bit frustrating that all of this stuff is in so many different places with their own interface issues.  i'm trying to change an address on inside/out site and i've given up.  i now have to register a new account.  i hope that after i pick the boding disc, i can just visit greg's shop and be done with itWink

PS-we all know there other ways of getting music these days.  however, i want to support the TFK family as much as i can.  it's just too bad this stuff is not readily available.  (finding the first tangent was an adventure too.)  besides, downloads are always suspect in sound quality.

PSS-i wonder if Roine would be interested in a kickstarter campaign for a US tour or for reprint of albums?  i just heard that some obscure indie artist raise a million bucks!!  maybe roine's re-releases will include other bands.

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 17:35
Wheel of Life is a lot better than Karmakanic's latest, though I agree Entering the Spectra is probably the weakest album, though really jazzy and has some great moments. But Wheel Of Life is up there with Who's The Boss In The Factory?.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 18:38
10 MORE DAYS!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 18:42
June 8 Setlist...umm is there anything cooler than getting a member of the band posting the setlist?  Wacko

Setlist for Swe Rock was

Paradox Hotel
Last Minute on Earth
In the eyes of the world
Truth will set u free
Babylon
What if God was alone
Stardust we are
There is more
I m the Sun

It was greeeeeat fun

Best regards/Mvh
Tomas
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 18:44

Wheel of Life is a lot better than Karmakanic's latest, though I agree Entering the Spectra is probably the weakest album, though really jazzy and has some great moments. But Wheel Of Life is up there with Who's The Boss In The Factory?.

thanks for the opinion darkshade.  Spectra really sounds like a TFK record with back up singers.  i need to check out who plays on what record.  Jonas is such a great composer.  i wonder what a TFK album would be like if each member brought in their best song.  WOW!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 205206207208209 486>