Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 18:49
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Wheel of Life is a lot better than Karmakanic's latest, though I agree Entering the Spectra is probably the weakest album, though really jazzy and has some great moments. But Wheel Of Life is up there with Who's The Boss In The Factory?.

thanks for the opinion darkshade.  Spectra really sounds like a TFK record with back up singers.  i need to check out who plays on what record.  Jonas is such a great composer.  i wonder what a TFK album would be like if each member brought in their best song.  WOW!

The first few songs on Entering The Spectra is essentially TFK with Roine on guitar and vocals, Jonas on bass, and Zoltan on drums. I don't think Lalle was on keys yet, not until Wheel of Life. Jonas played keys and maybe someone else. There's a lot of guest musicians on ETS since it was just meant to be a side project of Jonas at the time. Wheel of Life is the first true album as they were by then working as a band. The first 2 albums have a lot of instrumental play, jazz, fusion, and some metal stuff too. Who's The Boss is the first album where they sound like a true band, and away from the TFK shadow. It's just too bad Zoltan didn't stick around.

Speaking of Zoltan, why is it that he removed himself from the TFK family? Because as far as I know, he quit TFK twice, quit Karmakanic, quit Agents of Mercy. I guess 3rd World Electric too, but it hasn't been confirmed officially.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 20:15
I really like Tomas Bodin's album "Sonic Boulevard". First listen was very underwhelming for me, but the last couple of listens have proved once again that you can't judge these guys' music on the first couple of listens.

The Hero From Cloud City is really nice, I like the 'sad' sounding keyboard sound (or is it a theremin?) and the general atmosphere is really pleasant. I like how it gets funky towards the end of the album. Still wish Jonas had more presence on the album, oh well.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 22:23

Wheel of Life is a lot better than Karmakanic's latest, though I agree Entering the Spectra is probably the weakest album, though really jazzy and has some great moments. But Wheel Of Life is up there with Who's The Boss In The Factory?.

thanks for the opinion darkshade.  Spectra really sounds like a TFK record with back up singers.  i need to check out who plays on what record.  Jonas is such a great composer.  i wonder what a TFK album would be like if each member brought in their best song.  WOW!

The first few songs on Entering The Spectra is essentially TFK with Roine on guitar and vocals, Jonas on bass, and Zoltan on drums. I don't think Lalle was on keys yet, not until Wheel of Life. Jonas played keys and maybe someone else. There's a lot of guest musicians on ETS since it was just meant to be a side project of Jonas at the time. Wheel of Life is the first true album as they were by then working as a band. The first 2 albums have a lot of instrumental play, jazz, fusion, and some metal stuff too. Who's The Boss is the first album where they sound like a true band, and away from the TFK shadow. It's just too bad Zoltan didn't stick around.

Speaking of Zoltan, why is it that he removed himself from the TFK family? Because as far as I know, he quit TFK twice, quit Karmakanic, quit Agents of Mercy. I guess 3rd World Electric too, but it hasn't been confirmed officially.

it's confusing.  so is Agents of Mercy basically Karmakanic with out the lead singer?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 22:26

it's confusing.  so is Agents of Mercy basically Karmakanic with out the lead singer?

No. The only people who are in both bands are Jonas and Lalle.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 10:22

Roine said on "Blue Planet" (which was written for Zoltan): "You're stuck in between The Flower Kings and your dreams inside revolving doors".

Dude's a jazz drummer at heart, and that's always been his real passion. I think he'd rather be a free agent and have more opportunities to do that (with some rock-related session work on the side) then have something like the Flower Kings tying him down.

I wouldn't rule out 3rd World Electric entirely. If he does play on the next album it will likely be just session work.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 11:52
^ I hope he at least returns to 3rd World Electric, at least that's jazz related. I just like his style a lot for some reason. Plus, Roine said the next one would be different that the first, so Zoltan's interest would probably be held.

I remember the first time I heard Who's The Boss In The Factory, the album that helped me get into TFK, and Zoltan's drumming blew me away at how good it was.

Edited by darkshade - June 09 2012 at 11:53
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 13:00
i remember reading on this board that roine said he wanted the next 3rd world to be more compositions rather than jams.  i would love that, having had a major Fusion stage in the mid 90s...mahavishnu, miles davis, weather report etc.

btw-the first two karmakanic are no where to be found.  greg at synphonic has one copy of circus of brimstone which i've decided is not that essential.  i think after getting the cinematograaf record, i'll be ahead of the game as far as the rarities go.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 13:02

I really like Tomas Bodin's album "Sonic Boulevard". First listen was very underwhelming for me, but the last couple of listens have proved once again that you can't judge these guys' music on the first couple of listens.

The Hero From Cloud City is really nice, I like the 'sad' sounding keyboard sound (or is it a theremin?) and the general atmosphere is really pleasant. I like how it gets funky towards the end of the album. Still wish Jonas had more presence on the album, oh well.

i love his keyboard sounds...vintage yet modern.  his saw leads and vintage mellotron are my favorites.

yep, it takes a while to get into each album for me.  i listen to it for a while and then take a break.  when i come back, it's glorious.  probably be that way with BoE.

btw-did you guys see the setlist i posted from tomas?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 13:10
^ I'm so excited about BoE, that I might just love it on first listen. The only album from the TFK family that I ever loved on first listen was Unfold the Future.

You mean this set list?

Paradox Hotel
Last Minute on Earth
In The Eyes Of The World
The Truth Will Set You Free
Babylon
What if God Was Alone
Stardust We Are
There is More To This World
I Am The Sun

Pretty solid set list to me. They covered most of their albums, and picked some of their very best songs. Does the band rotate set lists? If not, how do you think this set will look once they add BoE songs?
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 13:23

btw-i got my 3-year-old running around the house saying Hasse Froberg with a fat swedish accent.  only thing is, he pronounces Froberg as Frobit!

also, my 7 year old, who is into music sarcastically asks 'is this flower kings' everytime i turn on some music.

Hey Buddy,  :)

I can picture your 7 year old doing that, I think that is hilarious! LOL  Big smile  Tongue

My daughter is 2 years old, she is more into "Elmo" from sesame street then the ELP I play, but I think in a few months she will come around.Wink
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 13:25
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Some of Space Revolver and  Unfold the Future. 

Dude, did you play The Chicken Farmer Song from Space Revolver???

Play that one real loud, it should put a smile on your face, big time. Tongue

If you are not diggin TFK right away don't worry.  TFK more than any other band need repeated listens before the music comes into focus.  TFK simply do so much it is very hard to process everything right away.   I thought I was pretty hip, handling YES, Tales & Relayer and ELP and such, but for The Flower Kings I need to play a new album like twenty times and then I say:

"Hey...

Then I say:

"I bet Infandous & Nov understood this about 10 listens ago..."

Then, I say:

Holy Moly!   This stuff Rocks!!!!!!!!!  

So take your time with TFK and don't give up. 

Smile

Edited by dennismoore - June 09 2012 at 13:43
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 13:35

Dennis, welcome back! I'm sure I speak for everyone that I hope you can hang around a little more often, especially once Banks of Eden comes out.

@Darkshade, sincere thanks for the warm greetings. After all your postings you remain a total gentleman, and I hope all the good karma in the world comes your way on a daily basis!

Yes, I can't wait for the new Flower Kings CD.  I love the epics, but I do hope that Roine and the boys also
take time to have a little fun "Chicken Farmer" style. Tongue Smile Approve

P.S.   Congrats on having an avatar that doesn't freak me out.  I love Jeff Goldblum as an actor, so I like your new one. Your last two avatars: (Roine's excessively hairy chest, and that man with the 8 foreheads were kinda creepy.Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 14:10
Hi Everybody! Smile

Sorry, I haven't been around, I have been real busy with stuff and quite frankly I realized:

I sit at my keyboard and type on this forum and I listen to music on a logitech 5.1 system and i thought....
Crap, we talk about the best music in the world, yet I listen to it "cheese-ball style", so I took matters into my own hand and took over a room in the house (I hope my wife will get over it THIS century...) And I put together a 5.1
system out of the 2006 Denon Receiver I have with 5 speakers I came up with.  The front 3 are Definitive Technology, so I am doing OK there....

Anyway, I am limited 5.1 wise with the 2006 receiver as the new super high fidelity formats like DTS-HD and Dolby True HD need HDMI audio and my receiver can't accept that, so , I have been learning bout what 5.1 formats I can play through my system, and I ended up with:

DTS 96KHZ/24 bit 5.1
Dolby Digital 48hz/24 bit 5.1
DVD-Audio  (via analog into the receiver)
SONY SACD (via analog into the receiver)

and, if I upgrade the firmware on my 2006 Denon I think I can get it to accept HDMI from my Oppo combo player
to play:

DVD-Audio via digital
SONY SACD (Which uses encrypted DSD) via digital

So....

It was frankly quite annoying to figure this all out, damn the greedy record companies for making it damn near impossible to navigate all the music formats, but it is very much worth it.

I have found that DTS 5.1 is actually quite good and sounds breath-taking.

Ok, here is why I am boring you lot with all this crap.....    Drum Roll please......

I have been to the mountain!!!!!!!   I have experienced real 5.1!!!   It is to die for!!!!!

After playing the 5.1 mixes of:

RUSH: Fly By Night, Farewell To Kings & Signals
Pink Floyd:  Dark Side & Wish You Were Here
Jethro Tull: Aqualung

It is beyond belief good.  I wish I could have all you guys over and check it out.

So.....    Now we need to contact Roine and have him mix some Flower King CDs in 5.1.

If any band could shine in 5.1 it would be TFK....

Anyway, that is my story.  I still have work to do, digging up walls and running cables to make the system look nice,
but it is at least functional.  Anybody who may be on the fence about 5.1 should definitely make the move and go for it.

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 15:19
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

btw-i got my 3-year-old running around the house saying Hasse Froberg with a fat swedish accent.  only thing is, he pronounces Froberg as Frobit!

also, my 7 year old, who is into music sarcastically asks 'is this flower kings' everytime i turn on some music.

Hey Buddy,  :)

I can picture your 7 year old doing that, I think that is hilarious! LOL  Big smile  Tongue

My daughter is 2 years old, she is more into "Elmo" from sesame street then the ELP I play, but I think in a few months she will come around.Wink

we still have plenty of elmo here too.  someone needs to do one of those baby CDs using prog tunes.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 15:22

"I bet Infandous & Nov understood this about 10 listens ago..."

[/QUOTE]

now that is hilarious!  Infandous is definitely our TFK guru.  we are but his lowly disciples.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 15:25
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Hi Everybody! Smile

Sorry, I haven't been around, I have been real busy with stuff and quite frankly I realized:

I sit at my keyboard and type on this forum and I listen to music on a logitech 5.1 system and i thought....
Crap, we talk about the best music in the world, yet I listen to it "cheese-ball style", so I took matters into my own hand and took over a room in the house (I hope my wife will get over it THIS century...) And I put together a 5.1
system out of the 2006 Denon Receiver I have with 5 speakers I came up with.  The front 3 are Definitive Technology, so I am doing OK there....

Anyway, I am limited 5.1 wise with the 2006 receiver as the new super high fidelity formats like DTS-HD and Dolby True HD need HDMI audio and my receiver can't accept that, so , I have been learning bout what 5.1 formats I can play through my system, and I ended up with:

DTS 96KHZ/24 bit 5.1
Dolby Digital 48hz/24 bit 5.1
DVD-Audio  (via analog into the receiver)
SONY SACD (via analog into the receiver)

and, if I upgrade the firmware on my 2006 Denon I think I can get it to accept HDMI from my Oppo combo player
to play:

DVD-Audio via digital
SONY SACD (Which uses encrypted DSD) via digital

So....

It was frankly quite annoying to figure this all out, damn the greedy record companies for making it damn near impossible to navigate all the music formats, but it is very much worth it.

I have found that DTS 5.1 is actually quite good and sounds breath-taking.

Ok, here is why I am boring you lot with all this crap.....    Drum Roll please......

I have been to the mountain!!!!!!!   I have experienced real 5.1!!!   It is to die for!!!!!

After playing the 5.1 mixes of:

RUSH: Fly By Night, Farewell To Kings & Signals
Pink Floyd:  Dark Side & Wish You Were Here
Jethro Tull: Aqualung

It is beyond belief good.  I wish I could have all you guys over and check it out.

So.....    Now we need to contact Roine and have him mix some Flower King CDs in 5.1.

If any band could shine in 5.1 it would be TFK....

Anyway, that is my story.  I still have work to do, digging up walls and running cables to make the system look nice,
but it is at least functional.  Anybody who may be on the fence about 5.1 should definitely make the move and go for it.

i'm jealous dude.  for me, ignorance is bliss.  i don't want to know what i'm missing :)  as far as 5.1 mixes, i know steven wilson has some and don't forget Moving Pictures.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 21:18

i'm jealous dude.  for me, ignorance is bliss.  i don't want to know what i'm missing :)  as far as 5.1 mixes, i know steven wilson has some and don't forget Moving Pictures.

Ok, ok, I wasn't gonna mention it, but....

I have Moving Pictures.... AND....

All the Porcupine Tree 5.1 mixes that Steven did.

LOL  Big smile  Tongue  Smile  Embarrassed

RUSH - The Camera Eye in 5.1 is just like going to heaven. Wink

Can I tell you how the new 4.0 mix of Gentle Giant - Free Hand is beyond belief???

Oh.... and the first 6 ELP records were just mixed in 5.1 by Steven Wilson himself and coming out this year!

Dude, go for it!  (5.1) it is NOT that expensive.  a few hundred buck for a receiver and the same for some speakers.
Any DVD player can play the DTS 5.1 tracks, so you don't need to go all the way to DVD-Audio or Sony SACD.

I always find absolute steals for gear & technology here:

http://www.techbargains.com/

Check it out and you will have a 5.1 setup in no time.

PM me for more details.....

DM

Big smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 10:18
Funny new interview with Roine, talks about BoE and new drummer Felix.

MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 12:06

Funny new interview with Roine, talks about BoE and new drummer Felix.

I watched that yesterday, had no idea Roine could even use his middle finger (other than to play) LOL
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 12:22

i remember reading on this board that roine said he wanted the next 3rd world to be more compositions rather than jams.  i would love that, having had a major Fusion stage in the mid 90s...mahavishnu, miles davis, weather report etc.

btw-the first two karmakanic are no where to be found.  greg at synphonic has one copy of circus of brimstone which i've decided is not that essential.  i think after getting the cinematograaf record, i'll be ahead of the game as far as the rarities go.  

Dude, it's essential, you should get it.  It's an all instrumental Flower Kings, and it's really excellent.  By the way, it's just "Circus Brimstone", no "of".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 486>