Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 12:29
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

"I bet Infandous & Nov understood this about 10 listens ago..."

now that is hilarious!  Infandous is definitely our TFK guru.  we are but his lowly disciples.
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps......but I'm certainly not a 5.1 guru.  Dennis will be quite cross with me when he finds out I STILL haven't set up the 5.1 system my girlfriend has  Embarrassed
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 12:45
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Perhaps......but I'm certainly not a 5.1 guru.  Dennis will be quite cross with me when he finds out I STILL haven't set up the 5.1 system my girlfriend has  Embarrassed

No worries m8, I will be patient with you. Wink

Here is a nice deal on speakers:

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/302323

Here is a nice deal on a cheap 5.1 receiver:

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/302177

Big smile     Tongue      Smile     Approve
LOL
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 13:12

i remember reading on this board that roine said he wanted the next 3rd world to be more compositions rather than jams.  i would love that, having had a major Fusion stage in the mid 90s...mahavishnu, miles davis, weather report etc.

btw-the first two karmakanic are no where to be found.  greg at synphonic has one copy of circus of brimstone which i've decided is not that essential.  i think after getting the cinematograaf record, i'll be ahead of the game as far as the rarities go.  

Dude, it's essential, you should get it.  It's an all instrumental Flower Kings, and it's really excellent.  By the way, it's just "Circus Brimstone", no "of".

good to know.  after tomorrow i'll have the rush to keep me busy until BoE.  hopefully that will keep me busy until MomentumWink
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 13:33

i remember reading on this board that roine said he wanted the next 3rd world to be more compositions rather than jams.  i would love that, having had a major Fusion stage in the mid 90s...mahavishnu, miles davis, weather report etc.

btw-the first two karmakanic are no where to be found.  greg at synphonic has one copy of circus of brimstone which i've decided is not that essential.  i think after getting the cinematograaf record, i'll be ahead of the game as far as the rarities go.  

Dude, it's essential, you should get it.  It's an all instrumental Flower Kings, and it's really excellent.  By the way, it's just "Circus Brimstone", no "of".

good to know.  after tomorrow i'll have the rush to keep me busy until BoE.  hopefully that will keep me busy until MomentumWink

Heh, yeah, I'm looking forward to both of those albums greatly as well Smile
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:14
Regarding Zoltan not being in the band anymore, they never went into great detail about it on the TFK yahoo mailing list (but Roine alluded to it pretty strongly), but Zoltan and Tomas Bodin apparently did not get along well at all, and I guess it reached a point where they couldn't co-exist. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 08:47
Originally posted by Biff Tannen Biff Tannen wrote:

Regarding Zoltan not being in the band anymore, they never went into great detail about it on the TFK yahoo mailing list (but Roine alluded to it pretty strongly), but Zoltan and Tomas Bodin apparently did not get along well at all, and I guess it reached a point where they couldn't co-exist. 

Zoltan apparently frequently denigrated Tomas' playing.  I guess Zoltan was not impressed and made comments to that effect fairly often (Tomas revealed all this, in an interview?  or maybe on the yahoo group, can't remember which).  So Tomas told Roine that either he was quitting, or Zoltan had to go.  So Zoltan was sacked.  However, Roine always loved Zoltan's playing, and felt he was the perfect FK drummer, which is probably why he was on TSONE.

In any case, it's also true that Zoltan much prefers jazz to any sort of rock music, and likes to keep his options open.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 11:41
i think all the drummers they have had are good.  why couldn't jamie come back?  he wasn't flashy, but was a phat bottom end.  i hope this new dude sticks around a while.  too bad about zoltan.  he's like 20 years younger than roine and tomas, so i can see him being an ass and not being able to understand that virtuosity doesn't mean playing lots of notes really fast.  tomas's genius is in his tones, inverted chords, and what he doesn't play.  his little mellotron solo in the middle of Circus of Brimstone kills me every time as does Room with a View.  Kills me!

that being said, been listening to flower king lately and roine isn't a shabby keyboardist himselfSmile
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 13:46
Yep, the drumming in TFK is always more than good enough, and while I agree that Zoltan was the best of the bunch, none of the albums he played on are in my top tier of TFK albums, because the songwriting is what matters the most, and, IMO, Flower Power, SWA, Paradox Hotel and Space Revolver have the best songwriting. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 17:14
i'd like the drums to have more of an 'in the room' sound rather than the arena reverb.  minor quibble though.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 17:15
btw-i love the liner notes to The Flower King.  really helps one enjoy the album more.  if not for them, one might think 'cheessy'LOL
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 07:38
From Jonas Reingold's Facebook page:

I can understand that our customers are really upset of the shipping rates on the Ltd. Edition Vinyl package. Itīs a big parcel 950 gram, but Posten the company that taking care of shipping here in Sweden (the only option for a small company like us) donīt agree that itīs to expensive. The only ones that doesnīt make money on our music is ourself, all the rest making profit from our business, itīs crazy but true. I could write a book about this subject but will spare you this because itīs a beautiful day. But something is not right when people like Roine and many more having a hard time living off music. Itīs f-ed up . . . 

Unfortunately, the music industry is mostly a labor of love for the artists and it sounds like the band that we love is a bit down.  If you ever were looking for a chance to forward some thoughts of encouragement, this may be the time.  I don't think I've ever seen Jonas drop an F-bomb in any type of forum in the past, this is the time when we the fans, need to help with a little positive energy for the band that gave us so much of it over the years.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 10:22
Yeah, depressing to hear this stuff.  Also, he obviously posted that because fans were complaining, thinking that Reingold Records was the one charging inflated shipping costs.  But what would anyone expect for a double vinyl package being shipped all over the world????
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 10:54
if any band should do a kickstarter campaign its TFK.  there's no reason these dudes, especially roine, should do well making music.  neal morse seems to be doing well with his in-house recording and distrobution.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 11:12
^ You mean 'shouldn't' do well?

If Neal Morse can make a living doing what he does, TFK should as well. The thing Neal has over Roine is he has Mike Portnoy on his albums, so he gets a lot of the DT crowd to buy his music. I still think that BoE will do OK, as the last Transatlantic album and tour was highly successful and may have helped some people discover TFK who might not have checked them out before.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 13:29
Yay! Now there's an ad banner so all at PA can be annoyed at the fact that TFK are somewhat popular around here LOL

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 14:07
Hey we got Biff Tannen and Marty Mcfly here! Where's Lorraine?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 14:10
We just need a George McFly and Doc Brown, and we're set.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 14:25
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Yay! Now there's an ad banner so all at PA can be annoyed at the fact that TFK are somewhat popular around here LOL

Darn them for being semi-successful! Don't they know that's forbidden for members of this genre?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 15:15
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

From Jonas Reingold's Facebook page:

I can understand that our customers are really upset of the shipping rates on the Ltd. Edition Vinyl package. Itīs a big parcel 950 gram, but Posten the company that taking care of shipping here in Sweden (the only option for a small company like us) donīt agree that itīs to expensive. The only ones that doesnīt make money on our music is ourself, all the rest making profit from our business, itīs crazy but true. I could write a book about this subject but will spare you this because itīs a beautiful day. But something is not right when people like Roine and many more having a hard time living off music. Itīs f-ed up . . . 

Unfortunately, the music industry is mostly a labor of love for the artists and it sounds like the band that we love is a bit down.  If you ever were looking for a chance to forward some thoughts of encouragement, this may be the time.  I don't think I've ever seen Jonas drop an F-bomb in any type of forum in the past, this is the time when we the fans, need to help with a little positive energy for the band that gave us so much of it over the years.

Pull off the CD from the package and I think more will buy.......The CD will get more purchases thru Amazon and the like, but not the vinyl.
I would glady buy the vinyl red or black version......I just don't care to have the CD. But at US$40.00 for the vinyl/CD package I will wait to see what happens.
I feel for him though, he is right......the use of the F word is awesome!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 10:20
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

You know, that "return of prog royalty" is going to ruffle some feathers, to be sure.  I have to assume that is tongue in cheek.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 486>