Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 312313314315316 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 20:53
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Since I seem to like to make multiple posts all in a row on here Embarrassed, I thought I'd mention some CD's I have just ordered:

Beardfish "The Void"
Kaipa "Vittjar"
Glass Hammer "Shadowlands" and "Cor Cordium"
Porcupine Tree "On The Sunday Of Life"
Eloy "Live"

All were cheap to very reasonable, and I just got a nice big tax return check so I figured it was time to fill in some holes in my collection Big smile

i love your posts...even better when there are 4 in a row.  i'll be curious how you like the new Kaipa.  i think my next pick will be the new Steven Wilson...either that or something by Opeth.  I don't have any of their stuff.  i'm kind of revisiting a lot of my CD catalog with some new headphones that make things sound pretty good.

Cool
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 03:50

Since I seem to like to make multiple posts all in a row on here Embarrassed, I thought I'd mention some CD's I have just ordered:

Beardfish "The Void"
Kaipa "Vittjar"
Glass Hammer "Shadowlands" and "Cor Cordium"
Porcupine Tree "On The Sunday Of Life"
Eloy "Live"

All were cheap to very reasonable, and I just got a nice big tax return check so I figured it was time to fill in some holes in my collection Big smile

Nice one Clap good to see tax heading in the right direction once in a while.

I have virtually all of those Tongue.

The Void - I have this but have not heard it yet (too much music, not enough time).
Vittjar -  ditto the above Embarrassed
Shadowlands - great album, one of their best.  Listen to the Going For The One outtake (Run Lisette) Wink
Cor Cordium - not got that one
OTSOL - some strange stuff on there, if you like early Floyd you'll be fine.  The best stuff is great.
Eloy Live -  superb.  All the songs are better than on their respective studio albums.

Some great choices there Gus, enjoy.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:00
I've got to pick up "The Void" sooner rather than later.  I've listened to it a few times on Spotify and really like it.  I should give Shadowlands a listen, I've heard a few good things about it.  I'd written Glass Hammer off a few years ago, but eh, maybe I should revisit.

So I'm listening to "The Raven that Refused to Sing" a lot these days trying to figure out where I stand on it.  It's all good (despite the heavy Mellotron) there are even parts that are great.  The problem is that for the past year or so, overly sad and/or depressing music has been low on my list of things that I want to listen to.  The last two songs are heart wrenching and I wonder at times how much I'm going to want to keep listening to them.

I had a similar experience with "Posthumous Silence" from Sylvan, I acknowledge it's a great album but I can't listen to it without getting this overbearing sense of sadness.  No, I've never lost a child, but I can imagine now difficult it would be.  It's just not something that I choose to expose myself to repeatedly.  

We'll see where "The Raven" eventually falls but the jury is still out on it.

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:04
Ok, so here's an amusing game . . . Give a title for the worst gig ever that one of your FKAT (that's right, new acronym, Flower Kings Appreciation Thread) friends would have to attend, their personal hell if you would.  Here's an example:

Rob (BarneyM27) - "Worship the Lord with Sax"

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:29
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

I've got to pick up "The Void" sooner rather than later.  I've listened to it a few times on Spotify and really like it.  I should give Shadowlands a listen, I've heard a few good things about it.  I'd written Glass Hammer off a few years ago, but eh, maybe I should revisit.

So I'm listening to "The Raven that Refused to Sing" a lot these days trying to figure out where I stand on it.  It's all good (despite the heavy Mellotron) there are even parts that are great.  The problem is that for the past year or so, overly sad and/or depressing music has been low on my list of things that I want to listen to.  The last two songs are heart wrenching and I wonder at times how much I'm going to want to keep listening to them.

I had a similar experience with "Posthumous Silence" from Sylvan, I acknowledge it's a great album but I can't listen to it without getting this overbearing sense of sadness.  No, I've never lost a child, but I can imagine now difficult it would be.  It's just not something that I choose to expose myself to repeatedly.  

Yeah, Raven is a very good album, but Wilson's relentlessly dark and dreary lyrics and moods do get to me after a while.  What's funny to me is that, in that regard, he is almost the anti Neal Morse, in that he never changes the topic of his songs and albums.  Always dark, depressing stuff.  Raven is interesting in that each song is basically a story, lyrically.  Of course, the stories are all about loss and regret, but still it's a good approach.  Again though, the relentlessly dark nature of his lyrics does tend to wear me down in much the same way Neal's relentlessly Christian lyrics do (to be fair to Neal, Momentum really did tone it down a good bit in that regard, but the lyrics are still really about the same things he always writes about these days).

A really good album that I can't listen to because it's so depressing is The Robbery Of Murder by Salem Hill.  It's a really great concept album that just has such a dark and depressing mood to it that is presented really well.   It's presented so well, in fact, that I just can't listen to the album because it depresses me too much!  There is something to be said though, for a band being able to do that so well.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:40

Ok, so here's an amusing game . . . Give a title for the worst gig ever that one of your FKAT (that's right, new acronym, Flower Kings Appreciation Thread) friends would have to attend, their personal hell if you would.  Here's an example:

Nice idea Tom, I'm sure Rob would love that.

For you I could only think of the Opeth double cd set "Death Growls accompanied by Mellotron Parts 1-100".  In the shops now, don't miss it!
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 09:02
^ LOL, beautiful, I knew the Mellotrons would be coming my way but forgot about the death growls, well done, I actually did laugh out loud here in my cube.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 14:37

Aha - It could be a lot worse....you could have had Celine Dion as the Reverend Hal. E. Yuleha......
You fiendish fiend......
Roj Likes virtually everything so I'll just have to go for a gig where You have to sit and watch two Giant Panda's with an acute libido problem attempt to get it on............Smile
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 18:51
Here's a concert for Infandous:

The Flower Kings playing Adam & Eve and Banks of Eden in their entirety!*
*due to Roine losing his voice Hasse will sing all vocals for this performance.**
**Hasse will also opening the show with an acoustic set.***
***Includes new epic version of You Don't Know What You've Got.

Edited by zumacraig - March 19 2013 at 18:52
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 07:26

Yeah, Raven is a very good album, but Wilson's relentlessly dark and dreary lyrics and moods do get to me after a while.  What's funny to me is that, in that regard, he is almost the anti Neal Morse, in that he never changes the topic of his songs and albums.  Always dark, depressing stuff.  Raven is interesting in that each song is basically a story, lyrically.  Of course, the stories are all about loss and regret, but still it's a good approach.  Again though, the relentlessly dark nature of his lyrics does tend to wear me down in much the same way Neal's relentlessly Christian lyrics do (to be fair to Neal, Momentum really did tone it down a good bit in that regard, but the lyrics are still really about the same things he always writes about these days).

A really good album that I can't listen to because it's so depressing is The Robbery Of Murder by Salem Hill.  It's a really great concept album that just has such a dark and depressing mood to it that is presented really well.   It's presented so well, in fact, that I just can't listen to the album because it depresses me too much!  There is something to be said though, for a band being able to do that so well.

Shoot, I didn't see this one yesterday . . . 

That's a pretty good comparison actually, coincidentally enough, I have gotten burned out on both artists (Neal Morse and Steven Wilson) though if he's toned it down a bit, I should probably consider listening to or at least picking up Momentum.  Yeah, Raven is clinically a great album, there are all the right melodies in all the right places, it's just too brooding.

I was listening to that and English Electric (1&2) yesterday and was struck by their similarities, both prominently feature flutes and twelve string guitars.  It's like there was suddenly this switch that was flipped instructing the big prog artists to make the next "Selling England . . . ".  I like the BBT CD's but they're only a little better than "The Raven . . . " in their attempts to recreate a bygone era.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent there . . . 

I haven't heard the Salem Hill CD but yeah, sounds like the same vibe that I get with "Posthumous Silence".  You're right, music that is able to move you, is certainly powerful, even more so when you didn't want to be moved in the first place . . . you may have just added another star to Mr. Wilson's review.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 07:26
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Aha - It could be a lot worse....you could have had Celine Dion as the Reverend Hal. E. Yuleha......
You fiendish fiend......
Roj Likes virtually everything so I'll just have to go for a gig where You have to sit and watch two Giant Panda's with an acute libido problem attempt to get it on............Smile

Bwahahaha . . . Give me, your panda love . . . 

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 07:31
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

*due to Roine losing his voice Hasse will sing all vocals for this performance.**

Also a good one.

Ok, here's the other one that I've got:

For Dennis:

"The First Five Seconds of The Chicken Farmer Song . . . Looped"

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 10:36

Nice.  Actually, I'd probably enjoy the show, minus the opener Wink  I tend to enjoy a lot of music performed live that I don't necessarily enjoy in other contexts.  I LOVE listening to jazz performed live by real jazz musicians for example, but I never listen to it any other time.

Of course, a Lady Gaga concert would probably be torture for me LOL
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 10:45

Shoot, I didn't see this one yesterday . . . 

That's a pretty good comparison actually, coincidentally enough, I have gotten burned out on both artists (Neal Morse and Steven Wilson) though if he's toned it down a bit, I should probably consider listening to or at least picking up Momentum.  Yeah, Raven is clinically a great album, there are all the right melodies in all the right places, it's just too brooding.

I was listening to that and English Electric (1&2) yesterday and was struck by their similarities, both prominently feature flutes and twelve string guitars.  It's like there was suddenly this switch that was flipped instructing the big prog artists to make the next "Selling England . . . ".  I like the BBT CD's but they're only a little better than "The Raven . . . " in their attempts to recreate a bygone era.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent there . . . 

I haven't heard the Salem Hill CD but yeah, sounds like the same vibe that I get with "Posthumous Silence".  You're right, music that is able to move you, is certainly powerful, even more so when you didn't want to be moved in the first place . . . you may have just added another star to Mr. Wilson's review.

Well, musically speaking, Neal hasn't changed anything at all really on Momentum.  So if you're tired of his "Patented Neal Morse Prog Formula" (as I have called it for more than 10 years now), you probably won't be won over.  It is still a good album though, and I enjoy it well enough.

Yeah, what I've heard of BBT's English Electric (just part 1 so far) is basically what you say.  I'm not sure I really get the appeal.  Well, actually, the appeal is all too obvious I suppose, but it's so much like what has come before that I just can't get into it.  It's strange, because a lot of the prog I love is very deeply rooted in the same approach that BBT, and even Wilson, are taking lately.  I guess it's just that I was more interested in Wilson's more modern take on prog and psychedelic music in PTree than I am in this nostalgia trip of his.  Though, conversely, I enjoy it more than the PTree stuff overall.  Strange.

I guess with both BBT and Wilson, it's just TOO perfectly crafted.  Too planned and calculated and clinical, as we've been saying.  Maybe I'm just getting burned out or jaded about the "prog" genre, I don't know.  Of course, last night I put on Back In The World Of Adventures and was reminded of why I still like prog so much.  I just don't see anyone doing music with such feeling and emotion anymore (not even the Kings themselves, for that matter).  70's prog was about experiment, adventure, and discovery.  Modern prog seems far more concerned with perfection and presentation.  Both have their place and appeal, even to me, but I still think I far prefer the former over the latter.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 13:11
My Mate told me he 's got a new band together and he's called em "1023 Megabytes" - I asked him that was a peculiar band name - how did he decide on that?  Well he said "We haven't got a gig yet.........."Clap
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 14:45
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

My Mate told me he 's got a new band together and he's called em "1023 Megabytes" - I asked him that was a peculiar band name - how did he decide on that?  Well he said "We haven't got a gig yet.........."Clap

LOL

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 21:30

Nice.  Actually, I'd probably enjoy the show, minus the opener Wink  I tend to enjoy a lot of music performed live that I don't necessarily enjoy in other contexts.  I LOVE listening to jazz performed live by real jazz musicians for example, but I never listen to it any other time.

Of course, a Lady Gaga concert would probably be torture for me LOL

you know, as soon as i wrote that, i realized that you'd probably like anything live by TFK!  good call.  i do like live jazz too.  pretty much any music live is better.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 07:27
Hmm, that made me realize something Craig and Darkshade, what do you guys really loathe musically?

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 14:59
My Mrs is watching a talk show with Alexander O'Neill on it - Thats about as close to hell you can get - male soul stars - Fookin Hate the lot of em.....Nothing music....but it sells millions...ho hum...
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 15:55

Ok, here's the other one that I've got:

For Dennis:

"The First Five Seconds of The Chicken Farmer Song . . . Looped"

Wink   Actually, I could really go for that!   5 seconds would be enough for me.Big smile
What have you guys got against "happy"???

Your idea of a "new epic version of You Don't Know What You've Got" gives me nightmares.  That would be enough
to give me "planetary destroying" rage.

@Infandous, excellent point about Morse/Wilson.  They both bore me to to tears.  I think Steven has done the dreary & helpless thing to death now, not to mention his horribly derivitave graphics which copycat the stuff Pink Floyd did on the Wall, but Wilson's graphics are far less interesting.   I lost interest with Porcupine Tree with Fear Of A Blank Planet.
Its funny how Steven Wilson was critical of Roine.  Steven is the one who now is a copycat of King Crimson and a parody of himself with his dark & bleak music on EVERY record he makes.  Yuck.  Hmm, where is my new Glass Hammer CD???  I am enjoying the new Mystery record as well...

The mad scientist in me says we should take halves of Wilson's & Morse's brains and put the 2 hemispheres together.
That would make some cool music.

Edited by dennismoore - March 21 2013 at 18:30
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 312313314315316 486>