Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 315316317318319 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 04:06
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

P.S.  How did you know of Heinz beans, and that they were in Pittsburgh?  The USA has a million companies that
make baked beans and Heinz isn't even close to being one of the good ones.

Angry

(we do not speak negatively of our Heinzy Overlords)

When compared to the other baked beans available in Blighty, Heinz stand out as clearly the best.  Also, they have a huge factory close to Manchester too, leading me to believe they were a UK company when I was a young 'un.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 04:07
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Got the inner circle newsletter from Neal today.  TA sessions are set for May and he says they WILL happen.  He also said that he's already written a bunch of 'cool prog' stuff for the album.  They he has his little sermon...this time about god's economy.  So much naivety and delusion, i wouldn't know where to begin.  I guess the fact that there is no GOD would be a good place to start.

Clap

Craig, what's this "Inner Circle Newsletter" you speak of, good man.  Me want it me want it.  How do I subscribe to said newsletter?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 08:40
So I may be remembering this wrong, but I thought someone said the Flower Kings were going into the studio without anything written and were just going to wing it. I know that sounds like a joke, but I could swear I read that somewhere (Hasse?).  Somehow, I doubt that it's true though.  Although I know Roine has been trying for years to get the other guys to contribute more (they just find it easier to record Roine's stuff since he writes constantly and always has something they can do).

As to the lack of a US tour, I'm sure "time" isn't the only factor, but probably is one.  It DOES seem odd that they would fly over for 3 shows, which are all spread out in time (meaning, they'll be flying over more than once it sounds like).  Anyway, it sucks I'm not going to get to see them again.

Hopefully, the new album will be better than Banks.  Which shouldn't be hard Wink  I will once again remind folks that I don't think it's a bad album at all, just a disappointment as far as TFK go for me....it seems stripped of most of what I love about the band.  A friend said he thought it had the feel and atmosphere of the early albums.......but that is exactly what is missing for me (along with the quirkiness and "filler" that I love so much).

Edited by infandous - March 26 2013 at 08:41
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 09:55
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Got the inner circle newsletter from Neal today.  TA sessions are set for May and he says they WILL happen.  He also said that he's already written a bunch of 'cool prog' stuff for the album.  They he has his little sermon...this time about god's economy.  So much naivety and delusion, i wouldn't know where to begin.  I guess the fact that there is no GOD would be a good place to start.

Clap

Craig, what's this "Inner Circle Newsletter" you speak of, good man.  Me want it me want it.  How do I subscribe to said newsletter?

http://www.radiantrecords.com/products/319-neal-morse-inner-circle.aspx

(I don't have a subscription myself)

Edited by AlanB - March 26 2013 at 09:56
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 10:28
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Just listened to Garden of Dreams. WOW!!!

Cool
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 11:48

P.S.  How did you know of Heinz beans, and that they were in Pittsburgh?  The USA has a million companies that

Angry

Ha!  I knew I would draw you out with that one.Approve

Actually I wanna learn how to make my own baked beans, they are my favorite kind of beans. Smile
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:04

Clap

My dear Craig, blasphemy is never a good start to a relationship with the Lord.  God has a plan and a place for you,
if you are ready and open he will reveal his plans to you and you will be fine, in fact right after he straightens out your sorry ass, he will head across the pond and deal with that character Barney...   Right! Wink

Ok, seriously....

Thanks for the TA update, it will be interesting to see if Neal can offer anything more than his usual musical preaching routine.  As a recovering Catholic it bores me to tears, which brings up a question:  What does a Jew or Muslim prog fan
think when he hear's Neal's preaching in his music?  This is a serious question.  Is it the same as what a Christian or Jew feels when an Islamic artist preaches we must all convert to Islam in their music?

Serious question #2:  Who is Neal Morse to give sermons to anybody?  What qualifies him?  Are we that lost as a people that we need entertainers to teach us moral lessons???Confused

If you guys are that hard-up spiritually I would be happy to guide you.  There will be a lot of Chicken Farmer Song playing and listening, so be forewarned!

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:14

Just listened to Garden of Dreams. WOW!!!

Conrats Alex!  And welcome to our group.Smile

Everyone here will tell you to listen to different Flower King songs, so ignore them all except
make sure you play The Chicken Farmer Song at least twice a week(it is on the Space Revolver CD)Wink.

My suggestion is you "borrow" your best friend, girlfriend or wife's credit card and purchase ALL The Flower Kings
CDs!  You will find that many & most FK songs delight you and a few that bore you to tears, (which are pretty much all the ones that Infandous likes, by the way....Approve)

Cheers!
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:35

Clap

My dear Craig, blasphemy is never a good start to a relationship with the Lord.  God has a plan and a place for you,
if you are ready and open he will reveal his plans to you and you will be fine, in fact right after he straightens out your sorry ass, he will head across the pond and deal with that character Barney...   Right! Wink

Ok, seriously....

Thanks for the TA update, it will be interesting to see if Neal can offer anything more than his usual musical preaching routine.  As a recovering Catholic it bores me to tears, which brings up a question:  What does a Jew or Muslim prog fan
think when he hear's Neal's preaching in his music?  This is a serious question.  Is it the same as what a Christian or Jew feels when an Islamic artist preaches we must all convert to Islam in their music?

Serious question #2:  Who is Neal Morse to give sermons to anybody?  What qualifies him?  Are we that lost as a people that we need entertainers to teach us moral lessons???Confused

If you guys are that hard-up spiritually I would be happy to guide you.  There will be a lot of Chicken Farmer Song playing and listening, so be forewarned!

Neal is not trying to convert anyone he is just sharing his heart and what he believes in so passionately. Can he not share that? Does he not have a right to express his opinion as anyone else does? I don't hear many cry out against the great John Lennon and his philosophical lyrics...

Yes I guess I'm that hard-up spiritually and brag on my Lord (call out to Trip Lee)

Edited by AlexDOM - March 26 2013 at 12:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 15:22

Clap

Ok, seriously....

Neal is not trying to convert anyone he is just sharing his heart and what he believes in so passionately. Can he not share that? Does he not have a right to express his opinion as anyone else does? I don't hear many cry out against the great John Lennon and his philosophical lyrics...

Yes I guess I'm that hard-up spiritually and brag on my Lord (call out to Trip Lee)

Hi Alex,

I guess I would reply that, first, the Lennon comparison is weak. He was pushing for peace NOT a religion, in a time of warmongering & mass killing during a time when the religious establishment was remarkably silent on the matter. Not a bad thing to be doing.  Now... all that Hari-Krishna stuff the Beatles were doing, yes, you would have a point with that...

We(most of us) pay $$$ for our music. There shouldn't be a "preaching" element to any commercial enterprise. First thing Christ did was throw out all the money changers from the temple.  Oh and one who doesn't stand to make a boatload of $$$ from his "preaching". Yeah, old Neal has been making a lot of $$$ from the US Christian music industry since it is a billion dollar industry.  As a recovering Catholic we have experience with our head God dude becoming a big time banker.  It didn't end well... And it sure didn't serve God's work. This gets to my next point.

One should seek spiritual guidance from a learned & experienced qualified source. One who has studied theology and has experience guiding & helping people & solving problems, which is why most people lean on religion in the first place.

You say "Neal is not trying to convert anyone...."  You can't be serious.  His "Testimony" series of records and lyrics in the recent Transatlantic surely have proselytizing & judgemental elements to them.  Watching him in concert you can feel his yearning for his audience to "join him".   Puh-lease!!!!!!

Yes, of course Neal can share his "opinions" just like the homeless guy raving under the freeway underpass. What makes Neal any different than that guy?  You didn't point me to any of Neal's qualifications to be a spiritual leader.

Lastly, I noticed your avatar, and you didn't answer my other question, so I will ask again:

What would you think when an Islamic artist preaches we must all convert to Islam in their music?

Anyway, it is nice chatting with you and please know that we are all a very close bunch here in our mini forum, so
we can speak plainly & won't hesitate to tackle a "tough" subject without all the arguing & insulting that can be found elsewhere in this forum.  Please know I certainly meant no attack on religion and I have no problem with people
who are religious.  If you still are offended please get angry at Zumacraig, he started this whole messWink, I am just
a bitter old Catholic who has seen too much mass evil done by those who claim they do God's work.

By the way, a happy Passover to you and yours, if you celebrate that, this week.

@Craig: Sorry to throw you under the busEmbarrassed.  It was that or get into another of my Chicken Farmer rants...

Edited by dennismoore - March 26 2013 at 15:36
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 19:27
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Clap

i think you have to join the inner circle which is a pay fanclub.  maybe you can just sign up for the letter.  google radiant records.  i'll try to find the letter and post the contents when i get them.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 19:35
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

So I may be remembering this wrong, but I thought someone said the Flower Kings were going into the studio without anything written and were just going to wing it. I know that sounds like a joke, but I could swear I read that somewhere (Hasse?).  Somehow, I doubt that it's true though.  Although I know Roine has been trying for years to get the other guys to contribute more (they just find it easier to record Roine's stuff since he writes constantly and always has something they can do).

As to the lack of a US tour, I'm sure "time" isn't the only factor, but probably is one.  It DOES seem odd that they would fly over for 3 shows, which are all spread out in time (meaning, they'll be flying over more than once it sounds like).  Anyway, it sucks I'm not going to get to see them again.

Hopefully, the new album will be better than Banks.  Which shouldn't be hard Wink  I will once again remind folks that I don't think it's a bad album at all, just a disappointment as far as TFK go for me....it seems stripped of most of what I love about the band.  A friend said he thought it had the feel and atmosphere of the early albums.......but that is exactly what is missing for me (along with the quirkiness and "filler" that I love so much).

good points.  not sure if i heard they were going into the studio with no material. that would be so cool!  i'd love it if each band member brought in their strongest material and they all worked together to make a concise masterpiece.  not just use everything.  for example, hasse has some great guitar licks on his albums, tomas has some great instrumentals on his albums.  jonas has snippets of brilliance on the karmakanic releases.  Message from the Heart's beginning is breathtaking...unfortunately that doesn't last.  

anyway, maybe we could ask roine on the yahoo group?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 19:40

Clap

Ok, seriously....

Love thy Chicken Farmer song with all thy heart, mind and soul!

BTW, I do need to have my sorry ass kicked into shape!

Good questions, especially since Morse is not really a Christian artist with his prog stuff.  The other night I was listening to Flying Colors and just really got sick of the not so vague metaphors for 'god has a plan'-'brighter days ahead if you only believe'-'suffering is how god teaches us'.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 19:43

Clap

Ok, seriously....

Hi Alex,

I guess I would reply that, first, the Lennon comparison is weak. He was pushing for peace NOT a religion, in a time of warmongering & mass killing during a time when the religious establishment was remarkably silent on the matter. Not a bad thing to be doing.  Now... all that Hari-Krishna stuff the Beatles were doing, yes, you would have a point with that...

We(most of us) pay $$$ for our music. There shouldn't be a "preaching" element to any commercial enterprise. First thing Christ did was throw out all the money changers from the temple.  Oh and one who doesn't stand to make a boatload of $$$ from his "preaching". Yeah, old Neal has been making a lot of $$$ from the US Christian music industry since it is a billion dollar industry.  As a recovering Catholic we have experience with our head God dude becoming a big time banker.  It didn't end well... And it sure didn't serve God's work. This gets to my next point.

One should seek spiritual guidance from a learned & experienced qualified source. One who has studied theology and has experience guiding & helping people & solving problems, which is why most people lean on religion in the first place.

You say "Neal is not trying to convert anyone...."  You can't be serious.  His "Testimony" series of records and lyrics in the recent Transatlantic surely have proselytizing & judgemental elements to them.  Watching him in concert you can feel his yearning for his audience to "join him".   Puh-lease!!!!!!

Yes, of course Neal can share his "opinions" just like the homeless guy raving under the freeway underpass. What makes Neal any different than that guy?  You didn't point me to any of Neal's qualifications to be a spiritual leader.

Lastly, I noticed your avatar, and you didn't answer my other question, so I will ask again:

What would you think when an Islamic artist preaches we must all convert to Islam in their music?

Anyway, it is nice chatting with you and please know that we are all a very close bunch here in our mini forum, so
we can speak plainly & won't hesitate to tackle a "tough" subject without all the arguing & insulting that can be found elsewhere in this forum.  Please know I certainly meant no attack on religion and I have no problem with people
who are religious.  If you still are offended please get angry at Zumacraig, he started this whole messWink, I am just
a bitter old Catholic who has seen too much mass evil done by those who claim they do God's work.

By the way, a happy Passover to you and yours, if you celebrate that, this week.

@Craig: Sorry to throw you under the busEmbarrassed.  It was that or get into another of my Chicken Farmer rants...

That's because John Lennon wasn't implying eternity in hell if certain words aren't said.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 19:50

Angry

Ha!  I knew I would draw you out with that one.Approve

Actually I wanna learn how to make my own baked beans, they are my favorite kind of beans. Smile

That's easy, take can of beans (preferably Heinz), open can, place contents in crock pot, turn pot on, listen to The Chicken Farmer song Fifteen times (Or Garden of Dreams once), enjoy beans.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 21:59

That's easy, take can of beans (preferably Heinz), open can, place contents in crock pot, turn pot on, listen to The Chicken Farmer song Fifteen times (Or Garden of Dreams once), enjoy beans.

No you silly gooseTongue.  I want to learn to make them from scratch, like with brown sugar and maple syrup and stuff...
Maybe I will crush the beans to get more of the sauce inside them.  Baked beans rock!

Good special ingredient(TCFS)Cool...
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 22:42
On the Neal debate:

He [God] always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!
-George Carlin
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 23:17
Darkshade, you're my new hero!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 04:02
Ah Dennis, I miss you when you're not here.  What an entertaining last couple of pages, beans, religion and a bit of TFK.  What more could you ask for?

I totally misread that post about the "inner circle", I thought it was Roine's Embarrassed.  I need to concentrate more or get down to Specsavers.  I won't be bothering with that, I'll just wait for snippets from my trusted sources here.

On the new TFK I really hope Tomas brings something to the table.  I always love his songs, and when he's in the zone his collabs with Roine have been amazing, Garden of Dreams for example.  He used to have a pretty big input and as he's not put out any solo stuff lately he should have some material in the locker.

It's nearly easter weekend and I wonder what that will bring for you all.  For me it's a few days off work and the chance to listen to some of my new cds in peace, watch a couple of concert DVDs I've not seen yet and generally take it easy.  I've just got the new Amplifier cd which I'm looking forward to, along with a few albums of that weird electronic music that I love by artists nobody else has probably heard of......

Enjoy.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 07:48
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

On the Neal debate:

He [God] always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!
-George Carlin
Any way - god can't possibly be all-powerful & all-knowing - as you know that if he/she/it was..... he'd/she'd/it'd be able to do something that even he/she/it didn't know about (if he/she/it was all-powerful|) - but as he's/she's/it's alll knowing then......
Thus that about wraps it up for God - Sometimes I wish that religious people would all just take the one-way trip to the heaven thats so much better than life here on earth - if they all did that quietly and in their own little way - it would leave the earth's non-religious people free to get on with making the whole planet a better place to live. then everbody would be happy....and thats gotta be a result...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 315316317318319 486>