Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 318319320321322 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 11:53
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

P.S.  Seriously, how did a handsome young lad like yourself get to have such a righteously-superb taste in music???
Did you have a much older Uncle that would twist up a fat one and play The Flower Kings & Peter Gabriel Genesis for you?

Actually, neither my dad nor any uncles turned me on to any music. My dad always put the oldies stations on (when they still existed in NJ) so I was exposed to a lot of doo-wop, soul, rock n roll, and other 50s and 60s music. I had to discover music on my own, and it was years before I got into any prog rock. Not until 16 or 17 did I first get into Dream Theater, Opeth, and some other proggy stuff after being into metal and hard rock for a few years (before that, I listened to modern stuff that was on the radio or similar), which then led me to 70s prog, fusion, and beyond.

Prog fans can be good looking.... Can't they??? Maybe I'm the exception Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:29
^ Hey I'm very good looking and hung like the proverbial donkey - why do you think those two girlies are smiling on my avatar - I took that Naked......
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:41
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ Hey I'm very good looking and hung like the proverbial donkey - why do you think those two girlies are smiling on my avatar - I took that Naked......

WHY WEREN'T THEY???
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:50
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

You would be the exception.  For proof: Go to any prog concert and look around you.

@Barney, maybe if you shaved your throat, it would help a little.  Plus we know that the girls in your avatar
where there for your son. Nice try.Wink
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 15:03
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Roine just posted this on a friend of mine's facebook wall (my friend is more of a FK super fan than any of us......he's seen them something like 27 times.....first name basis with Roine, etc.) :"<span -ft=""tn":"K"" id=".reactRoot3.121comment10200235652147003_5238891.0.1.0.1.0.0.02"><span ="UFIComment" id=".reactRoot3.121comment10200235652147003_5238891.0.1.0.1.0.0.02.0"><span id=".reactRoot3.121comment10200235652147003_5238891.0.1.0.1.0.0.02.0.0">.yes
there is about 5 hours of unused "bit & pieces" from last years
AOM, TFK & TA sessions.   Some of it surprisingly good. Some
resurfacing   like vintage wine....."Sound good to me!!</span></span></span>

Is this for the new albums? Very cool!

He's talking about the current session for the new Flower Kings, which are taking place right now.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 16:37

P.S.  Seriously, how did a handsome young lad like yourself get to have such a righteously-superb taste in music???
Did you have a much older Uncle that would twist up a fat one and play The Flower Kings & Peter Gabriel Genesis for you?

Actually, neither my dad nor any uncles turned me on to any music. My dad always put the oldies stations on (when they still existed in NJ) so I was exposed to a lot of doo-wop, soul, rock n roll, and other 50s and 60s music. I had to discover music on my own, and it was years before I got into any prog rock. Not until 16 or 17 did I first get into Dream Theater, Opeth, and some other proggy stuff after being into metal and hard rock for a few years (before that, I listened to modern stuff that was on the radio or similar), which then led me to 70s prog, fusion, and beyond.

My Dad listened to the Beatles, Stones, Clapton (and all related bands) , Jesus Christ Superstar, loads of blues masters guys, along with some classical.  Yet I still have a phase from roughly 11-16 where I liked nothing but cheesy popular music LOLEmbarrassed  Then came metal for a year or so.  Then came everything else since (mostly prog).

So you see, having parents that introduce you to cool music doesn't always lead you in the right direction.......not at first, anyway.  The other odd thing is that I was usually the one turning on my older brother to good old stuff.  He mostly listened to new stuff.

As to prog fans being good looking, there have been a small number.  Most prog BANDS aren't particularly good looking either, for that matter LOL
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 20:41
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

My Dad listened to the Beatles, Stones, Clapton (and all related bands) , Jesus Christ Superstar, loads of blues masters guys, along with some classical.  Yet I still have a phase from roughly 11-16 where I liked nothing but cheesy popular music LOLEmbarrassed  Then came metal for a year or so.  Then came everything else since (mostly prog).

So you see, having parents that introduce you to cool music doesn't always lead you in the right direction.......not at first, anyway.  The other odd thing is that I was usually the one turning on my older brother to good old stuff.  He mostly listened to new stuff.

As to prog fans being good looking, there have been a small number.  Most prog BANDS aren't particularly good looking either, for that matter LOL

Late 70s-Early 80s: Bee Gees, AM Hits (my mom listened to that stuff)
Early 80s: Top 40 (actually good back then...got bad around 85)
Late 80s: Beatles...The Who...Led Zep...Neil Young...Classic Rock....still liked a bit of hair metal, Tesla, come on!
90s:  Grateful Dead, Phish, as well as developing an ecelctic taste for everything from punk to funk to jazz
Early 00s:  Alt. Country (Wilco, Son Volt), 70s singer songwriters (Neil) some Grateful Dead and Phish.
2002:  Classic PROG, some Third Wave..TFK
2007-2010:  Dry spell...Neil Young, CSN, America, Eagles, Post Rock
2010:  Third Wave Prog all the way.  I've settled into a few artists that I find are my partners in life and music; TFK, Dream Theater, Yes, Rush, Pat Metheny, Neil Young, Gillian Welch, Grateful Dead, Classic Rock

...I still dable here and there, but am too tired to find stuff.  If something comes around that is really good, it'll come to me as it will y'all.

I love this thread and I love you guys!  May you have a restful weekend full of epics, bombast and overlong synth solos!

Clap
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 05:20

You would be the exception.  For proof: Go to any prog concert and look around you.

@Barney, maybe if you shaved your throat, it would help a little.  Plus we know that the girls in your avatar
where there for your son. Nice try.Wink
Hey maybe they were - but as the proverb goes - "Some younger wimmin like to fiddle with an older organ...." or something like that........Tongue
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 14:48

Dude, I believe that you told us like a hundred pages ago the ladies in your avatar were friends of your son . . . put yer pants back on man!

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 14:52
So I'm strongly toying with going to see The Flower Kings at ROSfest.  Apparently you can get tickets for the Friday night show separately.  At $50 a pop, I think I'm going to make the three hour drive and check them out.  Is anyone else on here going?

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 15:00
Ok, post hat-trick, three in a row.  Darkshade, you were posting your musical focus over the years and I'm not inspired to do the same:

Late 70's:  Pop (I was 8 at the end of the decade) Air Supply, Abba
Early 80's:  more pop, still finding my way musically, got into Genesis in about 83
Mid 80's:  Explosion of music interests, Genesis (Invisible Touch big time), New Age (Jarre), New Wave / Pop (Gabriel, Howard Jones, Duran Duran)
Late 80's:  Alternative, back when Alternative meant different, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Love and Rockets
Early 90's:  Alt-Rock, (Live, Candlebox) Prog-Metal (Dream Theater, Queensryche)
Late 90's - Middle 00's:  Electronica (The Orb, Orbital, Juno reactor, Fluke, Crystal Method)
Late 00's - current:  Prog, (The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Frost*, PT with a resurgence of Rush and Genesis)

and there you have it.

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 16:10
Candlebox.   Awesome. Of course all us gen-x folks were steeped I. Alt rock. Some of it was ok. I liked a bit of Live, Lemonheads. I might be proven wrong, but the element of alt rock seem to going nowhere. Same with hip hop and punk. Alt. was kind of the last big wave of a musical form. Where else can we go?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 19:07
^ Ohm Pa Pa Prog (it's a subdivision of Heavy Metal)

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 19:15
Hasse has said on his FB page the the writing is over and they will begin tracking the album this week.  Wah!!  It takes me a month to get into their albums and they're making one in two weeks.  That is nuts.  The buzz around this thing is so fun.  If they do a double album I'll sh*t myself!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 20:17
They're done writing already? Wow! This album may come out sooner than I thought.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 10:25
Yeah, we might be getting a summer release. I'm curious if they went in with a theme and potential artwork. Anyway, I think this is a good sign. Either they were really inspired, brought on a bunch of material or just ended up following Roine:)
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 13:47
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Dude, I believe that you told us like a hundred pages ago the ladies in your avatar were friends of your son . . . put yer pants back on man!

They were invitees at his eighteenth I think - those two are a couple of the older girlies at the party - I was having a laaarf when I suggested I took the picture in de nood....
Don't think they were that close friends - mind you he seems to know everybody in fecking Swinton...don't know where he gets his popularity genes from coz it aint me......
Anyway - Can't wait for the next flowerkings effort - hope it's as good as GOD.....which is the best thing they have done IMHO...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 13:51
Anyway - nobody can own up to liking ABBA - thats like saying you also had a soft spot for Celine Dion.....Id rather own up to being a Frankie goes to Hollywood fan.....But that just aint happening either....
Jebus - there has been some sh*te produced over the years - thats for certain......
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 15:27

Anyway - nobody can own up to liking ABBA - thats like saying you also had a soft spot for Celine Dion.....Id rather own up to being a Frankie goes to Hollywood fan.....But that just aint happening either....
Jebus - there has been some sh*te produced over the years - thats for certain......

for some reason i never paid attention to ABBA.  of course, if you've been alive in the west over the last 30 years, you know ABBA.  a few years ago i saw some swedish film about a commune in the 70s.  the end scene was the commune playing soccer and the song SOS was playing.  i knew it was ABBA, but not the song.  immediately downloaded the song and did some research on ABBA.  pop geniuses to say the least.  SOS is an incredible pop song!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:08
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

i knew it was ABBA, but not the song.  immediately downloaded the song and did some research on ABBA.  pop geniuses to say the least.  SOS is an incredible pop song!

Dude, put down the crack pipe, you are now scaring me...

If you are hard up for some good pop, search for some early 70's BTO or Elton John or Doobie Bros...

geesh....Confused

A proper progger can never admit to liking:

Abba
Michael Jackson
Rap music
Any boy band
Any Britney Spears/Madonna techno-sh*te
Bay City Rollers
...the list of extremely bad music is virtually without end...

just sayin....
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 318319320321322 486>