Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 352353354355356 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 15:03
RE: UtF...

They should've released the entire studio jam as a bonus disc!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 08:01
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Yeah, that would have been a great idea!  I don't think Roine thought it was worth releasing though, aside from the excerpts he did release.  I'm just guessing of course.  At the time, I think he was pretty pleased about it on the whole, which is why the excerpts were put on the album in the first place.  I'm not sure how much I would listen to the entire thing to be honest, but it would be interesting to hear.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 09:20
So has anyone else been having issues posting here with Google Chrome as of late?  I can't post at all from my work computer using Chrome anymore and last night, Chrome was starting to have issues as well . . .

With that being said, I had a great post typed up saying that all was well, sorry I haven't been around much lately, my wife's surgery went well, recovery is going pretty good, she finally got her neck collar off last week and I'm starting to get a bit of free time back.  Life is good on our end and I had a list of random comments from the last five pages or so . . . all lost . . .

I'll try to be a little more active again now that things have calmed down on the home front.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 12:57
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Yeah, that would have been a great idea!  I don't think Roine thought it was worth releasing though, aside from the excerpts he did release.  I'm just guessing of course.  At the time, I think he was pretty pleased about it on the whole, which is why the excerpts were put on the album in the first place.  I'm not sure how much I would listen to the entire thing to be honest, but it would be interesting to hear.

maybe one jam with all the best parts?  i don't know, the more i listen, the more i get it.  it's a huge statement and there's a lot there, but it's all pretty damn good.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 13:06

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

maybe one jam with all the best parts?  i don't know, the more i listen, the more i get it.  it's a huge statement and there's a lot there, but it's all pretty damn good.

Wait, didn't you call it "indulgent and kind of ridiculous" just one page ago?  Wink

Still, I did feel that Christianople was a bit silly to put on the album.......I also thought their "jam" for Circus Brimstone at Nearfest 2003 was downright goofy.  That's the thing with jamming though, it doesn't always go well (see probably 50% of Grateful Dead jams for reference).

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 13:10
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

So has anyone else been having issues posting here with Google Chrome as of late?  I can't post at all from my work computer using Chrome anymore and last night, Chrome was starting to have issues as well . . .

With that being said, I had a great post typed up saying that all was well, sorry I haven't been around much lately, my wife's surgery went well, recovery is going pretty good, she finally got her neck collar off last week and I'm starting to get a bit of free time back.  Life is good on our end and I had a list of random comments from the last five pages or so . . . all lost . . .

I'll try to be a little more active again now that things have calmed down on the home front.

Good to hear about your wife, glad she's just about recovered.  Sorry to hear about Chrome and this forum.  I don't use Chrome for most things, just for work applications because it's faster than Firefox and IE.  I've got so much invested in Firefox, I just haven't been able to bring myself to switch (all my favorite sites opened in tabs ready to go when I launch the browser, add ons, browsing history to find things I saw weeks ago, etc.............all stuff that's not hard to get in Chrome, I'm just lazy and haven't felt like doing it since I've never had any issues with Firefox).
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 13:58

^  Thanks Mike,

Yeah, I may have to use Explorer for this forum alone . . . oh well.

Interestingly enough, one of the lost bullet points was about Christantinople.  I didn't like the song when I first heard it, but strangely it's become a grower for me.  I find it somewhat akin to 'The Waiting Room' off The Lamb.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 06:33
Aye, we want all good things to be happening to the forum members all of the time. I listened to "Lifesigns" (CD name and band) on Friday - 2013 CD, very good in parts but unfortunately the good bits are all in separate tracks so no one track stands out.......mind you the last track is by far the standout one to my ear.....
Who else has spun this?
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the lighthouse keepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 07:27
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Aye, we want all good things to be happening to the forum members all of the time. I listened to "Lifesigns" (CD name and band) on Friday - 2013 CD, very good in parts but unfortunately the good bits are all in separate tracks so no one track stands out.......mind you the last track is by far the standout one to my ear.....
Who else has spun this?
"Lifesigns" has been receiving some rave reviews since its release.Personally I think it's an o.k.album,but nothing out of the ordinary.Sound of Contact album is a far superior effort.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 07:33

^  Thanks Mike,

Interestingly enough, one of the lost bullet points was about Christantinople.  I didn't like the song when I first heard it, but strangely it's become a grower for me.  I find it somewhat akin to 'The Waiting Room' off The Lamb.

Strangely Tom, The Waiting Room has always been one of my favourite Genesis tracks and pretty much my favourite off The Lamb.  I remember back in the day when Rob first introduced me to The Lamb and was astonished that out of all the fantastic tracks on the album I somehow liked The Waiting Room best LOL.  I suppose as a big Floyd fan I'd always appreciate the weirder side of things, however the second half of the track is truly fantastic.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 12:05
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

^  Thanks Mike,

Strangely Tom, The Waiting Room has always been one of my favourite Genesis tracks and pretty much my favourite off The Lamb.  I remember back in the day when Rob first introduced me to The Lamb and was astonished that out of all the fantastic tracks on the album I somehow liked The Waiting Room best LOL.  I suppose as a big Floyd fan I'd always appreciate the weirder side of things, however the second half of the track is truly fantastic.

Funny thing is, as soon as I read Tom's post, I thought to myself, "but the Waiting Room is one of my favorite tracks on the Lamb" LOL

It's not THE favorite of the album for me, but it's probably 3rd or 4th favorite track on the album.

Christianople is just a track that I feel they could have easily left off without hurting the album at all.  There aren't really any other tracks on Unfold that I feel that way about.  Still, I like it well enough, but I think it would have been better to replace it with Too Late For Tomatoes.

Edited by infandous - July 23 2013 at 14:30
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 13:24
That just confirms that your all a bunch of weirdos - I reckon if I got a steel dustbin and suspended it from the ceiling, upside down so that you could stand under it. You lot would gladly do that while I beat the side of said bin with a large wooden mallet whilst making Random whooping sounds whilst also strangling a deranged tom-cat and standing on assorted small mammals to make them squeak in various mysterious ways - you lot would serious get off on such an experience......and say that it was the work of pure genius !!!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 14:31

That just confirms that your all a bunch of weirdos - I reckon if I got a steel dustbin and suspended it from the ceiling, upside down so that you could stand under it. You lot would gladly do that while I beat the side of said bin with a large wooden mallet whilst making Random whooping sounds whilst also strangling a deranged tom-cat and standing on assorted small mammals to make them squeak in various mysterious ways - you lot would serious get off on such an experience......and say that it was the work of pure genius !!!

I don't know about "pure genius", but I'd love to see you do that! WinkLOL
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 06:25
^ I am not a fan of "Random Noise" passages in music, You may as well have a passage of silence as this is non-music.....I am a big fan of ambient chords sections - which could replace said talentless fillers. Examples would be the "Waiting Room" - which should have been an extension of the fine music which soars out of the final clank/explosion...also the bloody ornithological passage in "Echoes". I don't count the ambient passage in GOD because it is saved by the background mellotron and sampled voices......similarly "Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats". How anybody could find the "Waiting room" part 1 the best track on "The Lamb" defies belief however.....Best track has to be selected from Lillywhite Lilith/The lamia/Back in NYC/The Cage/Slippermen suite/ or the sublime instrumental Ravine.......THE GENESIS ORACLE HAS SPOKEN !!!
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 16:35

@Barney:

You are laboring in vain.  I already offered to Infandous to bang on my steel garbage lids and step on my cat a few times
and then send him a tape. He declined, which is surprising, since that is no different than the random, talentless noise pieces that we are talking about.  What people ignore, is the bleedin obvious.  These experimental type of recordings take no talent whatsoever(that's why it is not music). Literally anybody can do it, anytime with any object
that makes sound.

If a person enjoys these sounds that is fine; enjoyment is always up to the individual. Look; we tolerate you for criminally ignoring the greatness that is Nektar-RecycledCool...so we can let infandous listen to all the garbage pail rattllings he wants. But...

That doesn't change the fact that it involves no talent or skill.  Anybody can do it.  Why do people relish this random crap?  The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome perhaps?

Barney: You splash around the tub and make all kids of fart sounds every night probably.  We don't see Blue Note Records knocking at your door with a microphone, nor should we.Wink

A little bit of chaos and the unexpected can really be thought invoking, a la King Crimson or like my new pals, Sanguine Hum, but simple random noise is just that.  Random noise.  Maybe these same types of fans would enjoy visiting their local dump and listen to the garbage compactor run for a few hours.

LOL   Big smile   Wink

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 06:24
^ Clap Apart from our obvious polarity regarding Recycled, which I think is going to happen between two music addicts whose taste is likely to converge and then diverge along the sine wave that is graphed by time and each individual CD in our collections that correspond.......
We seem to have several areas of mutual understanding - thus I stand shoulder to shoulder with my brothers who despise - No abhor -those who happily groove to 35 miutes of white noise and perpetuate the silly myth (immortilised by Neil of the Young-Ones (BBC comedy) who is going "Hey yeah" to the noise the telly used to make when a channel had finished broadcasting) that proggers like random noise and claim it is actually music.....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 09:09
What's funny is that nothing you two describe bears any resemblance to anything I enjoy listening to......and certainly not to something like "The Waiting Room".  If that is what you hear when The Waiting Room is playing, then there is something wrong with your hearing that you should really get checked out Wink 
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 12:17
Forgive my absence.  I've been indulging in some AOR.  If you remotely like that stuff, you gotta check out the band Line of Fire.  OMG!!

Saw on the yahoo group that Roine is re-releasing Fading Ghosts of Twilight with several remixed tracks.  This kind of stuff pisses me off.  I mean, the album is not even 5 years old and now it needs a remix?  Why not a edit out the cheese ball spoken word stuff and remaster with pristine dynamic range?  Oh well.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 13:26
On Dennis and Barney agreeing:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 13:30

Forgive my absence.  I've been indulging in some AOR.  If you remotely like that stuff, you gotta check out the band Line of Fire.  OMG!!

Saw on the yahoo group that Roine is re-releasing Fading Ghosts of Twilight with several remixed tracks.  This kind of stuff pisses me off.  I mean, the album is not even 5 years old and now it needs a remix?  Why not a edit out the cheese ball spoken word stuff and remaster with pristine dynamic range?  Oh well.
I have been listening to a lot of AOR lately.  Strangeways.  Work of Art.  FM.  Jimi Jamison.  Mecca.  And of course, the torchbearers, Foreigner and Journey.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 352353354355356 486>