Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 365366367368369 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 11:59
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

About the new album, Roine released this statement:

"Being somewhat of a political statement, the epic theme of "Desolation Rose" is a logical step in a time where perpetual war, famine, environmental threats, religious conflicts dominate the media and our minds. This is a time to wake up and the music on this album takes you on a journey where you are forced to questions what the mainstream media feed us and to rethink your whole world view on all of the above. This is in many ways a typical Flower Kings album but we have also taken it into another realm where we do take chances and where you may struggle to get into the music - or the lyrics - but trust me when I say that you will be rewarded, as this may be our most involved, important and interesting album ever." (Roine Stolt - Sept 2013)

Well, I for one really couldn't give a rats bottom either way, as I have never looked to lyrics to guide me or provide relief from an always uncertain and way too violent human condition...

My favorite band, by far is YES, yet I never thought for one second, JA was doing jack-sh*t to save our Mother Earth...

Why?   Simple.  We PAY $$$ for this stuff!!!   When someone gives hard earned $$$ for a commercial venture there is a reasonable expectation of simple "enjoyment", wow, what a concept.

For people looking for salvation or repair or healing or vindication from a product you pay for is too unbelievable to comprehend frankly.

However, having said all this from a logical standpoint, I do applaud Roine for taking this stand, because before I was kinda sick of his recurring doom & gloom stand, but when I look around I see he is right.  The vast majority of people are completely clueless and have no informed opinions of their own and simply parot the over-paid hate mongers in the media.

So...  Good for you Roine, do whatever makes you happy.  I for my part will do what I always do:
Pop in the new record and see if I get goosebumps on my skin or see if it fascinates me on a pure musical level, just like the new Sanguine Hum CD has done.

I know bands have been singing words for decades.  I just have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about
and I couldn't care less.  (Except when Paul McCartney sang "Get back! Loretta!"  I do think I know what he meant...)

God Bless Everybody here.

:)

DM

While I pretty much agree with all this, I happen to enjoy good lyrics quite a lot.  They are certainly not required for me to like something, and there is plenty of prog stuff I love with daft or just terrible lyrics (Neal Morse, anyone? .... or DT's Dark Clouds album, especially.........a rare example where they lyrics are SO bad, they ruin the music for me).

I've never expected any album (or art of any kind, for that matter) to "change the world" or to bring me any sort of salvation, and I can't imagine anyone who does (though in my younger days, I think it was a bit different).

It's just that for me, The Flower Kings WERE different in that they didn't always focus on  the negative (like practically every other prog and rock band in the world since at least the late 80's).  They were an oasis of positivity in the desert of bleak and depressing lyrics.  Alas, they have now chosen to be like everyone else and emphasize what's wrong with the world rather than what is right (and there are still things right with the world, as there always have been and always will be).

You also have to understand that as a general rule, I have always preferred darker music with dark topics for lyrical inspiration (not outright Satanism, which is just silly really, or total negativity......just the darker sides of life and people and places).  So for me, The Flower Kings (and Yes before them) were just something different when I wanted something to enhance a positive mood or to just help me feel better in general (Grateful Dead are excellent for that as well, but I'm talking prog only here).

Anyway, it's not a big deal to me if the music is great.  I just feel that the music on Banks is decidedly NOT great......for the Flower Kings, anyway.  I'm hoping the new album will be an improvement for me and will blow me away musically.  Then I won't care if all the lyrics are dark and depressing so much.  I'll still be a little disappointed though that Roine choose to stop being different and decided to just go with the crowd when it comes to lyrics and the mood of albums and songs.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 12:02
Originally posted by AnonymousLoner AnonymousLoner wrote:

I am madly in love with Flower Power. That's an understatement.

Garden of Dreams is the best Flower Kings epic of them all, and my favorite thing they have ever done.  CD2......not so much (still not bad at all though).
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 13:06
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

First taster from the new album Thumbs Up

Nice!!

Hello?

Did everyone miss this?

Wink

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 13:14
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I was listening to that ciclos album on utube - I'm mildly impressed on first listening - now how do I find the fecking CD ???

My usual recommendation is Greg Walker, http://synphonic.8m.com/    Can't promise he still has copies though....

Not sure where you might find it in UK/Europe though (Greg will still ship to you though, of course).
It's rarer than rocking-horse sh*t.....I'm not paying 20 poond plus P & P for the Flokis CD either pre-order I shall wait till it comes out then see if I can get it around the 12 poond mark.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 17:26

Nice!!

Hello?

Did everyone miss this?

Wink

It sounds very thin, idk if thats because of the actual music or soundcloud. It just seems like the cymbals have no weight, bass is gone, etc etc. I also didn't hear anything interesting - no quick grooves, interesting tones, melodies. Quite bland. 

Edited by Horizons - September 23 2013 at 17:26
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 19:41
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Nice!!

Hello?

Did everyone miss this?

Wink

It sounds very thin, idk if thats because of the actual music or soundcloud. It just seems like the cymbals have no weight, bass is gone, etc etc. I also didn't hear anything interesting - no quick grooves, interesting tones, melodies. Quite bland. 

Wha?!!  Shocked

I've listened to many, many streams online.  The most recent being the new DT, which sounds like sh*t.  I am absolutely amazed at how good this stream sounds.  It's glorious to be able to just sit back and pay attention.  I think Roine has been listening to the loudness criticism or something.  BoE was a step in the right direction in certain places as far a sound goes, but this is SW territory.  DR=15.  (lyrical and musical content not withstanding:-)

@infandous-i see where you're coming from.  i thought the second disc of BoE was a bit more happy as was For Love of Gold.  Not paid too much attention to the lyrics.  I have to admit, I'm still looking for some salvation from music Approve
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 03:11

Nice!!

Hello?

Did everyone miss this?

Wink

I refuse to listen Tongue.  I don't do snippets and I'd rather wait for the album and listen to it properly.

That won't stop me from asking what you think of it though Smile.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 06:51
My DT CD is on it's way.....So I shall be listening this Friday all things being equal.
I still have more birthday monies left for the FK and Ayreon new releases. and Transatlantic too possibly.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 09:57
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Nice!!

Hello?

Did everyone miss this?

Wink

I refuse to listen Tongue.  I don't do snippets and I'd rather wait for the album and listen to it properly.

That won't stop me from asking what you think of it though Smile.

Same here.........I'd rather wait to hear the whole thing.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 09:59
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

@infandous-i see where you're coming from.  i thought the second disc of BoE was a bit more happy as was For Love of Gold.  Not paid too much attention to the lyrics.  I have to admit, I'm still looking for some salvation from music Approve

The two Jonas tracks have the kind of uplifting lyrics Roine used to write.  For The Love Of Gold has that typical Flower Kings upbeat music, but the lyrics are almost completely opposite.  I find that kind of jarring with TFK (though other bands have done that and made it work in an odd sort of way........Free Four from Pink Floyd being the best example).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 12:16
Hm, Looks like we have a polarisation here - Those who are lyrically motivated and those who are not - Me I wish that every CD was supplied with the Music for tracks WITHOUT the lyrics (On a bonus CD) or at least versions of the best tracks extended with the overblown monumental solos that progressive rock must have if it's to be taken seriously by me....
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 03:16

Hm, Looks like we have a polarisation here - Those who are lyrically motivated and those who are not - Me I wish that every CD was supplied with the Music for tracks WITHOUT the lyrics (On a bonus CD) or at least versions of the best tracks extended with the overblown monumental solos that progressive rock must have if it's to be taken seriously by me....

I know DT have done this, an instrumental version of the album on special editions of some of their albums, Black Clouds and Silver Linings for one.

Having seen some people's opinions of that album (COT in particular) I'm surprised this version isn't popular.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 12:16
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I know DT have done this, an instrumental version of the album on special editions of some of their albums, Black Clouds and Silver Linings for one.

Having seen some people's opinions of that album (COT in particular) I'm surprised this version isn't popular.
I have the CD - But the count of Tuscany instrumental version misses out on all the good guitar work - so it is in fact different and inferior to the version with singing.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 04:20
^ I didn't know that! That's pretty bad really.  I've got the special edition with the instrumental cd too and 4 years on I've still not listened to it Embarrassed.

This happens a lot with me though, "bonus" cds tend to be very poor fare and therefore pretty much a waste of time, with a few exceptions.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 15:35
Progrock mag has a new video of the band in the studio. They all look exhausted and Tomas checks his phone most of the time:)

Also, on the yahoo group list, Roine said new 3rd world next fall.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 16:10
Well, talking of those sought after hidden Gems, Infandous has just supplied me with one - Canarios - Ciclos (1974), an absolutely wonderful exploration with loads of mini moog and mellotron - It's so quirky - it reminds me of a sort of Tales from Topographic Oceans meets mike Oldfield with a bit of Dave Greenslade and the singling reminds me a bit of Gothic Impressions by Per Lindht - Marvellous - and I'll Have to have a copy on CD - so looks like I'm going to find it from somewhere!! Also - talking of the sublime - "Illumination Theory" - DT what an absolute STONKING EPIC - I still think that the whole CD is a pastiche of Rush bits interspersed with a bit from YesShows (The musical bit before Anderson says "Gates of Delerium") - MARVELLOUS STUFF - GOODNIGHT !!!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 19:05
http://www.progrockmag.com/news/flower-kings-froberg-doubted-album-would-work/

here's the video.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 16:19
been revisiting TA, DT and SB a bit lately.  I'm really just a fair weather fan of those bands.  For some reason, since I love TFK I felt I needed to give the related bands a chance over the last few years.  I really just can't handle Morse at all anymore.  Of course we've talked about the Christian lyrics, but even the 'regular' lyrics are just so cliche.  Also, the Broadway element is a bit too heavy.  I'm no musical fan.  That being said, he does write good melodies and has some cool parts, so it kind of sucks I can no longer tolerate the other things.  

As far as DT goes, I just really loved ADToE and Count.  The other stuff I've listened too is just a hot mess to my ears. Again, I'd like to get into them, but life's too short to keep at something that's really not enjoyable.  

So, I'm left with more time for TFK.  However, the more I listen to BoE, the more I realize how cliche those lyrics are:  Bad moon rising, Bad to the bone, We'll find our way back home.  Come on!  I also have a bit of trepidation about the new album.  The band just looks DONE in that recent video.  I am psyched it's a shorter album though.  Easier to digest.  My hunch is that it's all one song type deal like Whirlwind.  

FWIW, I turned 40 today and I do feel old.  My 30s flew by!  I gotta slow down and smell the Desolation Rose(s).   Cool
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 10:22
Presently sat on a train on the way from Birmingham to Manchester, listening to Back In The World of Adventures and specifically the gorgeous Theme For A Hero.

I've always been a sucker for train journeys and this makes it even better.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 10:35
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

been revisiting TA, DT and SB a bit lately.  I'm really just a fair weather fan of those bands.  For some reason, since I love TFK I felt I needed to give the related bands a chance over the last few years.  I really just can't handle Morse at all anymore.  Of course we've talked about the Christian lyrics, but even the 'regular' lyrics are just so cliche.  Also, the Broadway element is a bit too heavy.  I'm no musical fan.  That being said, he does write good melodies and has some cool parts, so it kind of sucks I can no longer tolerate the other things.  

As far as DT goes, I just really loved ADToE and Count.  The other stuff I've listened too is just a hot mess to my ears. Again, I'd like to get into them, but life's too short to keep at something that's really not enjoyable.  

So, I'm left with more time for TFK.  However, the more I listen to BoE, the more I realize how cliche those lyrics are:  Bad moon rising, Bad to the bone, We'll find our way back home.  Come on!  I also have a bit of trepidation about the new album.  The band just looks DONE in that recent video.  I am psyched it's a shorter album though.  Easier to digest.  My hunch is that it's all one song type deal like Whirlwind.  

FWIW, I turned 40 today and I do feel old.  My 30s flew by!  I gotta slow down and smell the Desolation Rose(s).   Cool

The funny thing for me, is that Morse's vocal delivery has become a good deal less "cheesy" since he left Spock's.  However the lyrics have become somewhat less appealing.  I read an interview with him from back around the time of Kindness of Strangers album, and he said that one of the things he loved about prog rock was that he didn't have to worry about the lyrics having any meaning or making any sense.  Basically he was saying that he just stuck in words and phrases that fit the music, without really worrying about meaning or continuity.  I think that may have changed by the "V" album, and certainly by Snow.  In any case, I still love a lot of the Spock's stuff, but by no means all.  I'd say I much prefer his solo stuff, though while good, Momentum just seems to me like maybe the formula is finally starting to get a bit repetitive for me personally (even though they added prog metal to the mix a bit.....which isn't really a selling point for me).

Roine's lyrics have ALWAYS been pretty cliche, I'm surprised you're just noticing now.  I guess on the early albums he tended to work in more prog song and album references in the lyrics, which maybe are a bit less cliche than the ones you mention above.......but to me as a long time prog fan were cool at first, but now just seem, well, cliche.

BoE on the whole just seems like TFK stripped down to their bare bones........and I find it rather boring, actually.  Not bad, just not particularly good either (I still consider it to be just barely a 3 star album).  I'm very interested to hear the new one, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be an improvement over the last album.  Frankly, I'm not too sure which way it will go based on that video.

Happy Birthday!  For me, it's pretty much been just another day since I turned 30.....but yeah, time flies!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 365366367368369 486>