Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 376377378379380 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 20:20
Happy Thanksgiving to all of my Yankee friends out there (and to you Brits as well).

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 21:16
The 3-LP/2-CD package will be ordered on 10th Dec......Release date is 28th January, just a few days before they play here in Seattle, not a lot of time to soak it all in.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 14:09
Apparently one of the tracks - Shine - will be available on Youtube on Monday Big smile
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 11:37
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

^ I initially thought it must be the Kylie song too and thought what a great idea Tongue.  Bloody ELO.I won't be bothering with the 3 disc edition.  I tend never to listen to bonus discs with cover versions etc and even the "making of" dvds I'll watch once and that will be enough.  So it's the standard version for me.For some strange reason my mp3 player loaded up the 2 Desolation Rose discs as one ginormous mixed-up single album and it was on this basis I listened to the album on a couple of occasions last week.  Interestingly I was finding the songs from the second disc more to my taste.  I think Interstellar Visitations by far the best track on the whole album and I love some of those instrumentals which remind me of the first two TFK albums, sigh.To you guys in the US enjoy Thanksgiving.  Crack open a few beers, enjoy the football (3 games, one after the other including the Packers v Detroit) and make sure you don't overdo the turkey.  Spare a thought for us over here while we're grafting away Wink.

"Kylie Song" and "Good Idea" in the same sentence?? Hmmm! I reckon that they should have done the whole of CTTE on the bonus plus Gates of Delirium and Awaken !!! - Portnoy's liking for sh*tty pop music is irritating.....But you get some people (see the post above) - buying it and throwing away the prog disc coz they love the sh*tty pop covers ??? - all money in the bank though...

That is a bonus CD I would want to hear!   Actually though, they would never top the originals so I probably would listen to it once or twice and then never again.

I AM interested in their take on Indiscipline though, as that would not be an easy tune to cover.  The rest, I'm kind of indifferent on.  At this point, it's looking like the single CD edition for me (though I would buy a 2 CD edition, if they had it......I would likely never watch a "making of" video, though I have watched all the ones for Ayreon because for some reason I find those interesting.....but never more than once).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 14:20
I am going to a local pub on Friday night to see a Rush tribute band, apparently doing their stuff from 1975-1980 - and they are supposed to be better musicians than Lee, Lifeson and Peart but we shall see !!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 18:55
What is the name of the Rush tribute band?

So have y'all seen the new TA video on their site for the song Shine?  I like it, but I can't stand Morse anymore.  Starting the video out with sun shining through stain glass church windows!!  And of course, the song is all about the Christians shining while others struggle in the world without God.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 05:13
Rush - Bravado , on at the Moses Gate pub this Friday... 7£ in and it's got a holts pub over the road so I can drink a shed load of proper beer first...RESULT !!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 05:24
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

So have y'all seen the new TA video on their site for the song Shine?  I like it, but I can't stand Morse anymore.  Starting the video out with sun shining through stain glass church windows!!  And of course, the song is all about the Christians shining while others struggle in the world without God.  

Wonder what a conversation would be like if I got a chance to talk about theology with Mr Morse?? We have the ridiculous court case going on in London at the moment when that poor geezer (he comes from Blakeley, which isn't far from where I live) got run over than his head hacked off outside his barracks in the middle of London in the middle of the day! The opening statement by a barrister "This murder has got nothing to do with Religion!!!!!" - I nearly fell of the chair. The Quran has at least fifty passages telling readers that God will glorify and award their every wish - if they die killing unbelievers !!!
You can't pick and choose which parts of gods revelation's to obey - it's either all or none.....To try and distance the religious element from this crime is just another attempt by wishy-washy liberals to distance a fanatic from the fundamentals of his belief!!!
And before anybody get's on my case - I know for a fact that when the two towers came tumbling down, Loads of so-called peace loving Muslims were having parties in the mill towns of Lancashire...

Edited by M27Barney - December 03 2013 at 05:25
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 08:24
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I have to say, that song is absolutely horrid.  If it was some modern industry creation performing it, we'd all be ridiculing it.  It has no trace of anything remotely prog, it's about as safe and harmless as music played by rock musicians could ever be, and even Roine's guitar solo is totally predictable.  I'm guessing it's the "ballad" of the album, but it's by far the worst ballad I've heard from any of them.  It's sounds like a left over from one of Neal's solo albums......or one of his worship albums, for that matter.  It's bland, predictable, and completely unoriginal (the opening chords are basically a slowed down rendition of "Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith).  I actually laughed out loud when Portnoy's vocal was happening, because they processed his voice with effects to disguise the fact that he's not really a good singer (Roine's lead vocal part was actually the one thing that I kind of liked).

Anyway, I don't like it at all, and it's making me wonder if I even want to hear the rest of the album.  Hopefully the epics will be worth while, but if that song is any indication, I'm not optimistic.  The religious aspect of the lyrics is probably the least appalling thing about it (because it's pretty much expected from Neal at this point).  I'm not against ballads for the most part (We All Need Some Light is a classic), but this just seems like they're not even trying.

Edited by infandous - December 03 2013 at 08:29
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 09:28
^ You're not impressed then? You're gonna BURN IN HELL sonny, Imagine a solid ball of tungsten carbide with a diameter 1000 times bigger than the sun, every million years a butterfly rests on the ball for a few seconds and then flies away! When the ball is completely worn away your torment will have ONLY JUST BEGUN !!!!

Edited by M27Barney - December 03 2013 at 13:35
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 15:25
There doesn't seem to have been much opinion expressed in this thread about Desolation Rose.

I've listened to it a couple of times on Spotify, and to be honest, I think I prefer Banks of Eden. It's a bit more melodic than Desolation Rose.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 15:28
We have discussed it.  I think I'm the only one who likes it better than Banks of Eden.  Most think it's not as good, or equally good.  My problem with Banks has always been Numbers, which I think is their most dull and lifeless epic since Monsters and Men (another opinion that isn't shared by many on this thread).  The other tracks on Banks are much better, but nothing I would consider classic.  I'd say neither album comes anywhere near the brilliance of their first 4, Unfold The Future, or The Sum Of No Evil.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 15:42
Actually, I agree with Infandous here, I'm liking Desolation Rose better than Banks as well.  To me Banks has a couple great moments, Desolation Rose has a few great moments.  My top three remains the same, 1)  Paradox Hotel  2)  Space Revolver  3)  Unfold the Future.  After that it gets kind of hazy.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crumple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 17:08
Is it pronounced 

Row-in

Row-ine

Royn

Or something else?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 17:15
I'm so behind on this thread (and most threads on PA).

BTW, I still haven't picked up the new TFK album. Shocked
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 19:48
Originally posted by Crumple Crumple wrote:

Is it pronounced 

Row-in

Row-ine

Royn

Or something else?

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced Ron - e, just spelled weird.

dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 19:59
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my Yankee friends out there (and to you Brits as well).

Confused  What about all us dumb-ass rednecks down here in the South???

@Craig:  Wassup Baby!   How's life in Hot-Lanta?

To the group:

Huggs & Kisses to all, and to that heathen basturd; Barney:  Merry Christmas Laddie!!!!!

Merry Christmas to all!   We added more Christmas decorations & lights to the house so now we have more
of a proper Christmas home, now we just need some snow!

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 11:39

Originally posted by Crumple Crumple wrote:

Is it pronounced 

Row-in

Row-ine

Royn

Or something else?

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced Ron - e, just spelled weird.

Actually, it's pronounced Royn-ah.  Or, how you'd expect it to be pronounced (as an American) , but with the "e" at the end having  the "ah" sound.

I've confirmed this in person, by hearing the other band members address him (also, Tomas is pronounced with the emphasis on the "o", like Tooomas......you can hear this when Roine says his name on stage in some of the live DVD's.......for that matter, if you listen carefully you can hear one of the band members say Roine's name, usually Hasse or Tomas, on those same DVD's, to confirm what I'm telling you).

Edited by infandous - December 06 2013 at 11:41
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Confused  What about all us dumb-ass rednecks down here in the South???

@Craig:  Wassup Baby!   How's life in Hot-Lanta?

To the group:

Huggs & Kisses to all, and to that heathen basturd; Barney:  Merry Christmas Laddie!!!!!

Merry Christmas to all!   We added more Christmas decorations & lights to the house so now we have more
of a proper Christmas home, now we just need some snow!

We've already had snow here in PA, before Thanksgiving even.  It's all melted now, but there is more on the way this weekend (along with some freezing rain.......yay! ConfusedLOL).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 12:19
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Confused  What about all us dumb-ass rednecks down here in the South???@Craig:  Wassup Baby!   How's life in Hot-Lanta? To the group:Huggs & Kisses to all, and to that heathen basturd; Barney:  Merry Christmas Laddie!!!!!Merry Christmas to all!   We added more Christmas decorations & lights to the house so now we have moreof a proper Christmas home, now we just need some snow!

Snow eh? - here in Manchester, N.W. England, as Greg Lake succinctly put, "They said there'd be show at xmas, they said there'd be peace on earth - instead it just kept on raining a veil of tears for the Virgin birth!" - See there are religious lyrics of which I approve - because they are exposing the absurdity of religion.
Especially - the line - "I saw through him and his disguise!!!" - Mr Lake's passage from childhood into the "Pull Jesus from a hat, get into that get into that!" lyricist...
Anyway, thanks for the mid-winter thoughts - I shall be celebrating the return of the sun....a much older celebration than the hijacking by the christians possibly 20,000 years later.... I shall be feasting and drinking heavily from the "Furry-cup"
Have a good time everybody!!! And MAKE GOOD USE OF THAT LARGE CARROT

Edited by M27Barney - December 06 2013 at 12:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 376377378379380 486>