Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 402403404405406 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 13:40
not bad music swing. also not a bad time to pass out 21.00....
today has been a mix of lazy, prog and eatin`.... then it was doing the rounds of the family... the two albums which I listened to where
Glass Hammer = Culture Of Ascent.
IQ = Frequency (this is a }
GH is top album to but IQ on oooooooooh on its first spin. I was like
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, NO ONE HERE AS NAME CHECKED IT.
the day is a every bank holiday weather here in the U.K, Rain with more rain............ . now home and its more prog listenin` for me
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 13:32
I`ve been out for a meal.. wish it was early in the holiday weekend
as its back to WORK. until I have a lotto win pig`s will fly first.... I`ll better listen too TFK as its been a bit of TIME.
in between the IQ/GH cd`s NO TFK. havin` been tryin` the Italian Prog
but I just don`t now where to start...

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 09:22
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!
WORK as of 21.10hrs, still no TFK playin` so I`ll be putting` that right A.S.A.P, no pig`s flying so no lotto win , ok still have a frim fav IQ album its Frequency a album. oh still not been tryin` Italian Prog....

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 08:21
I particularly like the title track on Frequency, but I think the rest is a bit weaker...mind you not listened to it for a while!
Oh you must listen to these bands!
Nexus (Argentina)
Anima Mundi (Cuba)
Galleon (Sweden)
Recommendations
From Land To Ocean (Galleon)
The Way - Anima Mundi
Detras Del Umbral - Nexus

Edited by M27Barney - April 23 2014 at 08:25
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 09:28
Just returned from a trip to Denver, Colorado.  It was nice to be able to enjoy an adult vice without fear of arrest.  Hope everyone had a great Easter holiday/weekend, whether you celebrate such things or not.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 10:24
yes great easter holidays. thanks for the tips on the other bands M27Barney. just gotten IQ STC    

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 13:38
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Just returned from a trip to Denver, Colorado.  It was nice to be able to enjoy an adult vice without fear of arrest.  Hope everyone had a great Easter holiday/weekend, whether you celebrate such things or not.

I presume you mean Gambling?? Or is that listening to Progressive rock without wearing a brown paper bag on your head???
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I presume you mean Gambling?? Or is that listening to Progressive rock without wearing a brown paper bag on your head???

Yes, the second one for sure LOLWink 

Didn't get to hear much prog, but got to talk a lot of it with my good friend who lives there (don't think he is on this board, but was a regular on the FK yahoo group several years ago).  He DID have From.UZ playing on the ride to the airport.....very good stuff I might have to check out (the album was 'Quartus Artifactus').

Edited by infandous - April 23 2014 at 13:48
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 09:00
ok which TFK albums to play after IQ STC, oh oh oh oh ooooooooooooooooooooooh! which answer to this question...

what makes you... YOU.

I`ve been asked that question a few times, I`d like your answers.

M27Barney what are you thinking about the sacking.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh I`ve just been thinkin` I`ll play
TFK= TFKPTE...YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 10:54
RE: Sacking - aye he had to go!! More rumours about his training methodology have appeared than there are milliseconds in the TFK epics that's for sure!!!
You taken my new recommendations on board?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 07:22
yes I have taken them on board M27Barney. I`ve been wondering do you listen to Zeppelin/Sabbath/Purple.... I`ve gotten fair few of the three classic hard rock . to me its:

3.DEEP PURPLE (Gillian/Glover or Coverdale/Hughes)
2. Black Sabbath (Ozzy era)

1... Led Zeppelin (Plant/Page/Jones/Bonzo)

if you do which are your fav`s... top three of each....

I`ve been listening to `80`s music which made me

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 03:14
I went through my purple patch in the early eighties - Never been a massive fan of Zeppelin to be honest - I think I have IV in my CD collection but that is all!
I used to like Uriah Heep and Wishbone Ash more!!
Also Magnum are a good band that I haven't heard for a long long while!
Saw them live a couple of times I think!!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 09:15
Magnum are a class band didn`t get into Uriah Heep /Wishbone Ash. i`ve never had a Patch with any band. whatever music is in my vinyl/cd`s collection is there form whatever yrs they where brought. its like when I wish to read music magazines/fanzines I`ll buy them...     I `ve been buyin` the classic rock/prog/blues I also buy the:
Led Zeppelin Fanzine Magazine By Dave Lewis Tight But Loose. its a cool read. all things Zeppelin. I`ve also seen `n` own Iron Maiden from the start of the band... to me that is what Progressive Rock is mixed up music collection`s... that is not to say I`m right or wrong with the meaning, its just what I feel its. I go from Classic to Metal without hide the fax from anyone I`m not    about it.

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 09:54
I had a Nexus listening session on Friday, Detras del Umbral, Metanoia, then the 27:52 track Odisea, El Regreso (from CD Magna Fabulis) - I enjoyed them so much - Marvellous keyboard oriented prog (loads of ELP/Greenslade/Triumvirate type stuff and bits of other bands thrown into the melting pot) - Definitely a winner!!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 09:55
Oh and they have the keyboard player with the coolest name as well - Lalo Huber !!

Edited by M27Barney - April 28 2014 at 09:56
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 13:19
stardust we are... not now any of the music you are talkin` about so for me its TFK = SWA OR PH...

Music Is Live

<
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 14:17
The Flower Kings... I read few pages of this thread and tried few TFK's albums:
Stardust We Are
Back In The World of Adventures
Banks of Eden
and I gotta say that band is incredible and played in 90s really good prog music, not simillar to neo-prog that is one of my least favourite prog genres (but I don't know a lot so maybe I'll change my opinion in the future Wink) but their songs seem to be more complex what I appreciate a lot. The question is: what's the best album to go on with TFK after those mentioned above? And if you could recommend a simillar band to TFK, it would be cool! Big smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 14:31
I would recommend - Flower Power - Garden of Dreams is their best epic and possibly best track.
Space Revolver - Brilliant!
Retropolis also good as is Paradox Hotel!
For similar stuff - Try Galleon - From Land To Ocean !!
Or Transatlantic - SMPTe, or any Stolt stuff !!!
Happy listening's!!!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 09:55
I'm going to see Yes tonight for the first time since the 90125 tour (remember that Rob?). At least a good setlist is guaranteed as they are playing The Yes Album, CTTE and GFTO complete.

I listened to cd1 of the new IQ album today. A few interesting parts reminded me of The Wake era and the new keyboard player sounds good. Overall, fairly underwhelming though.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 06:26
was the Yesshow cool.

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 402403404405406 486>