Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 409410411412413 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 07:41
I`ve been a listener of classical music for many years, do you like classical music which is your favourite composer. over the last 12 weeks I`ve been wondering which TFK albums I personnel couldn't not listen to daily if possible, do you have a personnel album which you wouldn't be without listening to every time you play TFK albums... also which one of the Tangent albums with RS is your favourite, of TFK which is there greatest epic track... wouldn't you be without great piece of music whenever you need to take time out of all of realities crap?. well I`ve gotten four pieces of epic progressive rock, I`d be lost within my personnel inner space/time out. they are:

YES TFTO
GENESIS TLLDOB
THE Flower KINGS SWA
THE TANGENT APITQ

to me the four of them are my reality checkout times you now 80+ mins of pure joy... or you could say    music its all personnel choices at the end of the day yes... I was also wondering which tracks by TFK would you put on a arrrgh! greatest hits type package... how many disc would there be ... I`ve also been reading a lot more poems lately by Keats, Shelly, Byron etc, add to that I`ve seeking the questions and answers of are we alone in the universe, is there a GOD, the meaning of life, which is the question.... wow on a lighter note I`m off to see the doctor blood test fasting one toady 20/8/14 at 2-20pm and 1`m empty and need foooood!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 11:37
^ huh?
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:43
Mask Machine sounds way more alt. rock than anything else to me.  I will be interested to hear the longer tunes.  Steve Morse has got to inject some sort of interesting bits.

DM, good points.  I agree about the latest yes album too.  man, what junk.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 01:49
been trying to find a topic where we could chat for great many times... do you have one....

Music Is Live

<
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 08:15
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

been trying to find a topic where we could chat for great many times... do you have one....

I'm not opposed to a topic, I just didn't understand yours, between the acronyms and the jumping around I had no clue what you were trying to get to. 

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 19:10
Hmm got you, its the way my mind works crisscrossing each topic at random, I`ve never been able to stay focused on just one topic. sorry about you didn't understanding of mine. its the classical music is big part of my life within music its even in a sorted sort of way in some prog rock bands we like.

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 13:28
its going to be a TFK music day today. I`m starting with
stardust we are a personnel favourite album. closely followed by PH so I`ll be smiling from ear to ear yes... I`d like it if there is a book on TFK... is there one anyone now if there is one.

Music Is Live

<
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 08:47
I haven't heard of a book but spend enough time trolling about and you should be able to do one yourself. Shoot, theres 400 pages of this thread with a lot of discussion.

Paradox Hotel is my favorite by them. Enjoy.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:20
yes its a favourite of my to PH. I did enjoy as I all was have.

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 07:44
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Mask Machine sounds way more alt. rock than anything else to me.  I will be interested to hear the longer tunes.  Steve Morse has got to inject some sort of interesting bits.

Yeah, that Yes album seems almost like a going through the motions type thing.  I doubt it would have been much different with Anderson, but who knows I guess.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 08:34
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Yeah, that Yes album seems almost like a going through the motions type thing.  I doubt it would have been much different with Anderson, but who knows I guess.
So you're saying that I shouldn't waste my time on it then . . .

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:30
its about the greatest Prog band is ????????.

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 12:49
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

So you're saying that I shouldn't waste my time on it then . . .

Well, I guess it depends on how much you like Yes.  The only thing that I've liked since, oh, Drama, would be the Keys albums.  Nothing since then has done much of anything for me.  Fly From Here was decent, but IMO very sleepy and weak for such a legendary band.  Besides that, it was hardly even a Yes album, since the two Buggles guys wrote 70% of it (and even that was 30 year old material).

I should probably mention that I haven't even heard the album..........but I've heard two full tracks and snippets from most of the rest.  That was enough to tell me it wasn't worth picking up.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 12:50
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

its about the greatest Prog band is ????????.

Obviously, the Flower Kings.  Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 12:51
I really enjoy the new Yes album...but I am weird that way.
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 13:18
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I really enjoy the new Yes album...but I am weird that way.

There are not so many people here who enjoy it too... Wink But for example I can't enjoy IQ's Road of Bones and can't understand why it has such a high rating... Anyway:

Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

I'm well aware that TFK don't get as much love on PA as I think they deserve

LOL Really? LOL
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

LOL Really? LOL

You do realize that you're quoting something from five years ago, right? 

I think at that point, no one had the idea that this thread would go on for this long and frankly, at this point, we're mostly a group of friends that use this thread to keep in touch with occasional forays into discussing the Flower Kings.  Like any group of friends, we've seen people come and people go.  As the active members change, many of the same topics get revisited.  Shoot, at this point, a few of us are pretty much able to tell you everyone's favorite albums, epics, short songs, keyboard solo, guitar solo and on and on and on.

Yeah, I get your sarcasm, but when this started five years ago (we didn't have broadband back then), the band didn't get a lot of attention.  At this point, the thread has probably outgrown the name but still, you're welcome to join us but it's mostly a bunch of old friends talking that were originally brought together by a band.

So what's your favorite Flower King album?

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 02:38
I'll probably give the new Yes album a go, I'll perhaps put it on my birthday list.  Like Scott I have a tendency to like some albums that most people don't.  Also I really like Davison, he's a great vocalist.  This would I think be the first Yes album I've got fairly soon after release for about...... erm...... 30 years Embarrassed.

I never got round to buying Fly From Here and probably should have done.

After a month or two of listening to mostly non-prog it has been back to prog rock listening these last few days.  In The Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan has been cropping up a lot lately and this morning I was listening to Arena's The Visitor for the first time in probably a year.  Comparing that with Arena's latest disc shows how the band have slipped.  Their last album is a decent one but no better than that and certainly not a patch on any of their earlier ones, imvho.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:36
I've been on a Prog kick lately myself Roj.  I wasn't listening to a lot of music as the marriage dwindled to nothingness but now that it's over, I've been on a tear, listening to a lot.  I'm back on the Neo team so there's been a lot of that as of late but it's good to get my passion back.

I've heard a lot of varrying opinions on the new Yes album, I think I'll give that a listen here today.

Unrelated, The Steve Rothery Band is releasing an album in the next month or so.  There is a preview in the form of a live concert on Spotify, just do a search on Steve Rothery and you'll find it relatively easily.  It's good stuff, almost bluesy at times.  I hear a lot of similarities between this and "The Division Belle"

melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

LOL Really? LOL

You do realize that you're quoting something from five years ago, right? 

I think at that point, no one had the idea that this thread would go on for this long and frankly, at this point, we're mostly a group of friends that use this thread to keep in touch with occasional forays into discussing the Flower Kings.  Like any group of friends, we've seen people come and people go.  As the active members change, many of the same topics get revisited.  Shoot, at this point, a few of us are pretty much able to tell you everyone's favorite albums, epics, short songs, keyboard solo, guitar solo and on and on and on.

Yeah, I get your sarcasm, but when this started five years ago (we didn't have broadband back then), the band didn't get a lot of attention.  At this point, the thread has probably outgrown the name but still, you're welcome to join us but it's mostly a bunch of old friends talking that were originally brought together by a band.

So what's your favorite Flower King album?

Hey, hey don't shout at me. I  didn't want to cause that. Cry All I meant was that it is nice that such band as The Flower Kings  became a quite known band on PA and is still getting popularity. Honestly, I didn't see any other appreciation thread here that has so many posts E.g. RPI thread has about 300 pages now. 300 pages for asubgenre and here we have over 400 pages for one band. Band that wasn't known five years ago and now is really popular here. Personally, I believe I wouldn't have checked The Flower Kings' music if I hadn't found that enormous thread. I can't say now what is my favourite The Flower Kings album. I know only 3 albums: Stardust We AreBack In The World of Adventres and Banks of Eden and honetsly I like them all. I'll be able to answer your question if I listen to the whole discopgraphy  - surely I'll do that in the future but now I have a time when I'm really interested in RIO and Zeuhl and I look for more music in those subgenres.

So, please do not attack me. It wasn't sarcasm, I only wanted to show in a humorous (?) way that I'm glad that PA has been developing so well, that people here found a lot of great music I can discover now and that it is from my point of view quite interesting what PA was those 5 years ago. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 409410411412413 486>