Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 410411412413414 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:41
Apologies then, it seemed sarcatsic but I accept your answer and I'm sorry.

We get a lot of people that come in for one post, typically with a similar sounding post to your initial one meant to be derogatory so I am naturally defensive if something seems to be along those lines.  There was a lot of sincerity in my post thoigh, I really don't think any of us really expected this thread to be a stalwart of the site when it started. 

Hope to see you around.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melotron98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 14:28
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

We get a lot of people that come in for one post, typically with a similar sounding post to your initial one meant to be derogatory so I am naturally defensive if something seems to be along those lines.  There was a lot of sincerity in my post thoigh, I really don't think any of us really expected this thread to be a stalwart of the site when it started. 

Hope to see you around.

I understand your reason. I didn't come to PA only to write a few posts like those mentioned by you did. These post wasn't meant to be derogatory. I don't want to offend anyone here. I'm a newbie here (just only a few months) and it is cool to see this site, forum so big with so many nice people listenning to prog and sharing their passion with others. I hope I'll be here for a long time and we'll have an occasion to talk in the future. Smile
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 16:09
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

I'm well aware that TFK don't get as much love on PA as I think they deserve

LOL Really? LOL

You do realize that you're quoting something from five years ago, right? 

I think at that point, no one had the idea that this thread would go on for this long and frankly, at this point, we're mostly a group of friends that use this thread to keep in touch with occasional forays into discussing the Flower Kings.  Like any group of friends, we've seen people come and people go.  As the active members change, many of the same topics get revisited.  Shoot, at this point, a few of us are pretty much able to tell you everyone's favorite albums, epics, short songs, keyboard solo, guitar solo and on and on and on.

Yeah, I get your sarcasm, but when this started five years ago (we didn't have broadband back then), the band didn't get a lot of attention.  At this point, the thread has probably outgrown the name but still, you're welcome to join us but it's mostly a bunch of old friends talking that were originally brought together by a band.

So what's your favorite Flower King album?

Hey, hey don't shout at me. I  didn't want to cause that. Cry All I meant was that it is nice that such band as The Flower Kings  became a quite known band on PA and is still getting popularity. Honestly, I didn't see any other appreciation thread here that has so many posts E.g. RPI thread has about 300 pages now. 300 pages for asubgenre and here we have over 400 pages for one band. Band that wasn't known five years ago and now is really popular here. Personally, I believe I wouldn't have checked The Flower Kings' music if I hadn't found that enormous thread. I can't say now what is my favourite The Flower Kings album. I know only 3 albums: Stardust We AreBack In The World of Adventres and Banks of Eden and honetsly I like them all. I'll be able to answer your question if I listen to the whole discopgraphy  - surely I'll do that in the future but now I have a time when I'm really interested in RIO and Zeuhl and I look for more music in those subgenres.

So, please do not attack me. It wasn't sarcasm, I only wanted to show in a humorous (?) way that I'm glad that PA has been developing so well, that people here found a lot of great music I can discover now and that it is from my point of view quite interesting what PA was those 5 years ago. Big smile

Actually, the RPI thread is the second 300 page thread.........they created a new one after the previous one went past 400 pages.  Still though, we FK fans are a pretty dedicated bunch Big smile

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 16:11

Hope to see you around.

I understand your reason. I didn't come to PA only to write a few posts like those mentioned by you did. These post wasn't meant to be derogatory. I don't want to offend anyone here. I'm a newbie here (just only a few months) and it is cool to see this site, forum so big with so many nice people listenning to prog and sharing their passion with others. I hope I'll be here for a long time and we'll have an occasion to talk in the future. Smile

Welcome to the thread and to the band Clap

I think you'll find quite a lot to like as you work through their discography!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 09:20
well I`ve been listening to the three albums which are IMO the greatest TFK albums, SWA, TFKPTE and PH. I always turn to those three more than there other classic albums some here will disagree with my three album. which is cool by me, I`ve still enjoying DR and Transatlantic albums...   
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 15:03
All right, I've been a Flower Kings fan since 1999, and I have no idea what "TFKPTE" is.  Care to enlighten me?  I have everything they've ever released, including fan club CD's, and I'm just at a loss (looked over their discography on here, no luck).

Aside from that, I agree about Stardust, but the other two for me would TSoNE and Retropolis.

Edited by infandous - August 28 2014 at 15:04
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 20:20
See, I love most of Stardust We Are, but at about the halfway point of disc 2 I just need for it to be over and end up skipping to the finale.

My three favorites?  Paradox Hotel, Space Revolver and Unfold the Future.

TFKPTE = The Flower Kings Poke the Elephant?

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siloportem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:22
I think it should be MTFKPTE or MTFKLPTE

Meet The Flower Kings Playing Their Epics

It is a bloody great collection.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:45
It's a Flower Kings - Transatlantic hybrid - Flower Kings SMPTE (only Stolt was missing Tongue).
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 08:31
ok sorry for the miss spelling. was rushing to finish and out to work. call it a Madchester thing if you wish LOL...

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 13:37
Originally posted by Siloportem Siloportem wrote:

I think it should be MTFKPTE or MTFKLPTE

Meet The Flower Kings Playing Their Epics

It is a bloody great collection.

Ah, now it makes sense.  Not the greatest "live" performance, since it was edited together from many takes and Hasse completely overdubbed all his vocals (he had the flu that day), but certainly my dream set list from the band.  I love it for that, and the performances are pretty much perfect thanks to how they recorded it.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 03:04
Ok, I know there's a similar separate thread elsewhere on here PA but I'm just interested to see what all us regulars (and anybody else for that matter) are listening to these days.  I tend to listen to an album each day on my commute but perhaps more at weekends.  So, this is sort of a "What albums did you listen to today TFK-thread stylee" thing.

I'll start::  

Monday - Dee Expus - The King of 33  (excellent 'neo prog' with Mark Kelly on keys)
Today -  Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music 

What will tomorrow bring?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 08:42
about the state of the progressive music scene its quite full. of amazing music to soaking in the music, old favourites too!.
Monday TFK=PH, Queen = ADATR, Fish = VITWM
Tuesday Paul Weller SR/PW...

if ever you seek the inner darkest weirdest, would you be able to handle your own DEMONS, are you sure you couldn't do the wrong...
I`ve been out of the loop here for sometime due to ill health so how have you all keeping, is it the music that will hold us together...

Music Is Live

<
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 08:51
I don't know think I listened to much of anything yesterday, was hanging with the child.  Today and lately, I've been getting into "Radiation" by Marillion.  Good stuff there.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 13:11
I've been listening to the first three CD's by Moon Safari - I like the music but not so keen on the boy-band singing it has to be said!!!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 14:03
I've been listening to IQ "Road Of Bones", Izz "Crush of Night", Flower Kings "Stardust We Are", Echolyn "The End Is Beautiful", Beardfish "Mammoth", Agents Of Mercy "The Dark Forest", and Glass Hammer "Chronomotree".  Those are the CD's in my car, which have been in rotation for a couple weeks now.

Just picked up the new Abel Ganz album and the CD/DVD set of Hacket's recent Genesis music tour.  Haven't had a chance to listen/watch those yet, but will very soon.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 03:02
^Nice idea Gus.

Cds in my car at the moment (yes, I am old school)

District 97 - Hybrid Child
Arena - Contagion
Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music
Opeth - Pale Communion
ARC - Arcturus
Marillion - Happiness Is The Road
Ian Boddy/Erik Wollo - Frontiers
Glass Hammer - Perilous

And this morning a third listen for the new Opeth album.  It's much better than Heritage, more focused, though still missing that killer heaviness of yore.  A definite influence of Steve Wilson's The Raven album in Pale Communion, certainly very atmospheric and some nice mellotron, sorry Tom Wink.  Track two, Cusp of Eternity would have fitted on Rainbow Rising, no problem.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:48
^ Hey Roj, did you pick up a copy of Contagion Max?

(sorry, no cd's in car, my iPod has a ton of music)

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 02:56

^ Hey Roj, did you pick up a copy of Contagion Max?

(sorry, no cd's in car, my iPod has a ton of music)

No, I've not got this but as I love Contagion I will definitely look into it.  Is this the one that includes the two eps? (I've never been able to get hold of those.  What's the verdict on this Tom?

Incidentally this morning - Haken - The Vision.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 02:59
^I've just read your review - the only one that's up as a matter of fact!!

You've sold me - I'm on it Wink.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 410411412413414 486>