Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414415416417418 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 12:44
I agree with Tom Ozric about Interstellar Visitations, for me it's their best track of recent years, a lovely reminder of their early days.

Geekfreak, I'm from Swinton, so very near Salford. Barney and I have been friends since school.

My first TFK album was SWA, a great choice and still one of my faves.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 12:54
A full day of music for me today

I started with an Ozric Tentacles double whammy, Strangeitude followed by Erpland. Me and the missus have tickets to see them in November, looking forward to that. Next Always Returning by Engineers, a classy slice of psych-indie with a prog twist and featuring Ulrich Schnauss on keys. Then disc 1 of Klaus Schulze's Farscape. I have to be in the mood for this one as Lisa Gerrard's vocals can be a bit much. Not today

Then, Colour Division by Ian Boddy and Markus Reuter, an excellent electronic prog album, fairly ambient but very modern with soaring guitars. And finally Contagion by Arena. Fantastic album, their best imho. How I miss Rob Sowden in Arena.

Edited by Roj - September 13 2014 at 12:57
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 16:41
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I agree with Tom Ozric about Interstellar Visitations, for me it's their best track of recent years, a lovely reminder of their early days.
I'll be damned, it is Visitations, not Variations ......
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 16:56
that's totally your both friends within your friendship you have
PROG too!. that's too Roj are your own musical tastes outside of prog like... which footie team red or blue lol...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 02:01
^A red, definitely a red!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 02:20
me you and M27Barney too. well back to the music of TFK my listening was SWA, SR, A&E with TA TW, Tangent APITQ, NAGATB, TMTDA. great listen of great PROG!...

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 09:22
is there a great or better way to relax than listening to prog... well maybe if you doing like prog there is... been having a debt at prog metal lately as I`ve only limited now how on the topic its been a minefield of downers than uppers lol, which can be a right royal pain in the rear end. as I`ve only been a fan of DT and some of the clones which are med stand, so as one as I`ve all ready state limited. oh I`m a fan of MASTODON too!. there a great prog metal band to me. maybe you could tell of other bands better ones to enjoy. add the album to start with please... I`ve always been open minded to my music...

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 09:27
when will there be some sort of happening progressive rock... help I`m bored...

Music Is Live

<
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crumple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 14:23
^
On my radar is King Crimson TONIGHT in NYC (yeah!)

Flying Colors new album Sept 30 (supposedly a bit more prog than the 1st one)

Haken is working on a newish EP coming in October.

Neal Morse is back in studio with his band.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 14:26
I'm going to King Crimson in NYC tonight myself. I can't wait, I'm so excited!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 17:35
how was the KC show, I`ve been having a all time low level listening to much of the bands from the `60/`70`s why I`m confused as I`m unsure as to why the bands for the `70`s was the reason I`d gotten into Prog! in the first place, as a friend played me TFTO, NC, TLWCDIWTEO... cool as cool is the last ones a VDGG album. are well its time to having a headphones on and SB V the great nothing hmm yes

Music Is Live

<
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 17:51
King Crimson was fantastic. They played a lot of classics from the 70s, with a few of the better songs from the 90s and 2000s albums. I was captivated the entire time. I've been digging KC for a week or so now, so it was perfect time. I didn't know who to focus on, Fripp was Fripp, he might be 68, but he still nails all the songs, and played with such raw beauty. All 3 drummers were fantastic (one of them played Mellotron), Levin was solid as usual, Jacko works very well in the context of KC, his guitar playing was great, and his voice fit quite well with the Crimson classics.

The best thing about this lineup is Mel Collins. You have the post-modern King Crimson (think Power To Believe), but with horns like flute, sax, octave sax, etc.. (and mellotron) and this might be the ultimate King Crimson lineup (I know). Red got a nice treatment with horns added, VROOOM was updated with horns and it made for a better song. Even the Scarcity of Miracles material worked very well. But the best part f the show was Starless. I had chills down my back multiple times during that song, Mel Collins just destroyed it. I couldn't believe it. I hope this band records a new album, with new music, but hopefully this tour gets at least one official release.

The crowd was great too, when it got quiet in the music, the audience was dead silent. It was like attending a classical performance.

Edited by darkshade - September 20 2014 at 17:53
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 13:01
happy you had a great KC show...

Music Is Live

<
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 14:14
Full Flying Colors album is online now for streaming. I haven't listened to it all yet but the first track is most definately PROG

Edited by AlanB - September 22 2014 at 14:15
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 14:57
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

King Crimson was fantastic. They played a lot of classics from the 70s, with a few of the better songs from the 90s and 2000s albums. I was captivated the entire time. I've been digging KC for a week or so now, so it was perfect time. I didn't know who to focus on, Fripp was Fripp, he might be 68, but he still nails all the songs, and played with such raw beauty. All 3 drummers were fantastic (one of them played Mellotron), Levin was solid as usual, Jacko works very well in the context of KC, his guitar playing was great, and his voice fit quite well with the Crimson classics.

The best thing about this lineup is Mel Collins. You have the post-modern King Crimson (think Power To Believe), but with horns like flute, sax, octave sax, etc.. (and mellotron) and this might be the ultimate King Crimson lineup (I know). Red got a nice treatment with horns added, VROOOM was updated with horns and it made for a better song. Even the Scarcity of Miracles material worked very well. But the best part f the show was Starless. I had chills down my back multiple times during that song, Mel Collins just destroyed it. I couldn't believe it. I hope this band records a new album, with new music, but hopefully this tour gets at least one official release.

The crowd was great too, when it got quiet in the music, the audience was dead silent. It was like attending a classical performance.

For some reason, I just haven't been able to work up interest in this.  I love 70's KC, but never cared for anything after Discipline (and I tried, I really tried).  It's odd for me because I have a strong love for Avant/RIO stuff (not all of it, but a good chunk of it) in the prog realm.  KC's 80's, 90's and 00's stuff seems to fit right into that arena, mostly because there isn't really anything much like it.  For whatever reason though, just doesn't do it for me.

So you'd think, with all the classic material coming out and Collins in the band, I'd really want to see a show, but I just don't.  I would probably pick up a live release if there is one, but I don't know really.  KC feels like the past for me, something I used to really like, but don't listen to much anymore (true for most of the 70's bands, to be honest).

In any case, glad you enjoyed the show and I never had any doubt that Fripp and company would put on a great show (all the more reason I'm confused by my lack of interest).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 14:59
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Full Flying Colors album is online now for streaming. I haven't listened to it all yet but the first track is most definately PROG

I guess I should check this out.  The first album generated zero interest from me after 2 or 3 listens (on progstreaming.com...........never purchased it, so it's not in my collection to reassess).

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 18:38
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I guess I should check this out.  The first album generated zero interest from me after 2 or 3 listens (on progstreaming.com...........never purchased it, so it's not in my collection to reassess).

listening now.  not too bad.  already better than the last TA, at least instrumentally.  also listened to the snippet of the new Kaipa on their site.  production is incredible.  drums sound great.  still can't stand the singers.  also, not really interested in the new TA live set.  

Edit-new Flying Colors is really good!

Edited by zumacraig - September 23 2014 at 18:45
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 08:14
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

listening now.  not too bad.  already better than the last TA, at least instrumentally.  also listened to the snippet of the new Kaipa on their site.  production is incredible.  drums sound great.  still can't stand the singers.  also, not really interested in the new TA live set.  

Edit-new Flying Colors is really good!

Yeah, for the first time I don't think I'll be bothering with the new TA live set.  Really just no interest.  I got basically nothing out of the new album, and I don't need any more versions of the older stuff.

I'll check out the Flying Colors.........seems like a lot more buzz than the last one.  With that lineup, you would think that they could come up with something mind blowing.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 10:39
Ok, unrelated, I've got to share.

So I'm walking my daughter home after picking her up at her mothers over the weekend and I've got to get her ready for a birthday party.  I said, 'ok, when we get home, I need you to go upstairs and get in the shower'.  My seven year old promptly answered, 'But Daddy, it's a pirate themed party, pirates don't take showers'.

I couldn't argue the logic.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 05:22
I like her logic. cool answer back. now its time to seek the music out. where is the start of the listing to prog...

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414415416417418 486>