Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 417418419420421 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 10:24
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I am Going to See Haken, Machine and er another band - I have their CD's to listen to - before the gig!

How was the show? I would love to see Haken....not sure they will come to the US anytime soon Cry
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:29
The gig is on Walpurgis Nacht - All Hallows Eve - Or Halloween to you septics....

Edited by M27Barney - October 21 2014 at 14:30
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 01:24
hoping the gig is a good one for you. this isn't the way to go to ask, but I`m stuck in my ways about  seeking out new forms of PROG bands, so can you all point out a few to me please... I`ve been listening to TFK TRM.     
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 01:09
well I`ve been rethinking along the lines of for filling my even mind with TFK are PROG, as its far greater than listening to the arse wipe in work arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!...

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 12:28
A good album to get is "Garden Shed" by England.....a seventies classic IMHO
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 08:32
wow many thanks I`ll check them out. Big smile when I`m listening to music... DeadCry as I`ve been unable to find ways to fore feel my own inner self natural unaided high within the music, like I`d done in the `70`s PROG but since the `90`s nothing newer as added the same inner space highest highs... so I`ve absolutely now that M27Braney heads up will be high. can you give me say bands `20s PROG help please... Big smile 

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 06:16
Another new one for me - is the 2013 Debut by Maschine....it's very good if you like Technical progressive metal.....I have given it one spin and it's EXCELLENT
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 08:05
Along the lines of good finds, I recommend Perfect Beings eponymous album.  Released this year it reminds me a bit of Big Big Train in terms of vocals, but then adds a good touch of Tony Banks sounding synth and Steve Howe sounding Guitar.  Enjoy
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 13:29
DeadBig smile thanks for the bands I`ll check them out... wouldn't the likes of the unsure loonies  just stop banging on about PROG being longest, pompous and OTT. one friend even said TFK albums all sound the same, ooh pooh who I just couldn't say a thing I was struck  DeadConfused  and Angry within all of his s**t. I`ve never heard them sounding the same each song as its own inner hints of musical styles and wonderous musical masterpieces. how do you all see it...   

Music Is Live

<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 14:38
To be fair - every single song by lets say....."Scouting for Girls" sounds like the same song to me.....that happens when you don't like the music - your brain tunes it out till I just sounds like homogenous drone.....
You have to LISTEN (eye's shut , still as you can be - let your music-appreciation-subroutines soak it in) - that's why progressive rock appeals to me - loads of melodies and time-changes to tickle my prog-senses !!!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:11
its true to listen to music its always best is sitting without anything or one being in the outer stuff going on as you stated M27Braney " music-appreciation - subroutines soak it in " I`ve always stated to 
" I wallow within the music soaking it in " the prog-senses tickle I like it LOL of the bands from the `80`s which are in your collection:
Marillion
Pendragon
Pallas
12th Night

I now your view on IQ. the only thing I`ve never done is eye`s shut maybe I should give it a try LOL or maybe I shouldn't and carrying on with my own way of enjoying progressive rock.... 

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:29
I think this album sounds like this album....it does not sound like the other albums Big smile

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 12:15
well said its a totally great sounding album...

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:07
DeadBig smileBig smile I`ve been listening to THF TRM album a whole lot, its one of my own personnel fav`s  its IMHO its amazing sounding music up lifting album... another albums which I`ve always playing is PH/SWA/BITWOA they always push the highest progressive emotions to an all shattering pulsing  natural highest high everywhere within the music flowing around my ears ooh yes thank you TFK. still unsure if I`ll obtain the new live TA album DeadConfused where its a step to far as most of the set been done on the other live album/dvds before... as well I`ve no interest in NM new solo album too!.. DeadEmbarrassedConfused at this time having a few weeks of upsetting news on the families older people been told one member as only 3/6 months to live, another in hospital with COPD and Cancer, which we`ve be told as spread into his ribs Cry to say...

Music Is Live

<
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 16:03
Geek,

I'll be honest man, I don't understand a lot of your emoticons or acronyms and don't always comprehend what you're saying in a post.  However, I am terribly sorry to hear of the illnesses going through your loved ones.  

One of the most uplifting aspects of music is the ability to touch on an emotion and make it spiral in what ever way you need it to go.  I find "Minor Giant Steps" off of Paradox Hotel just makes me happy while "End on a High Note" brings love to mind for some reason.  With that being said, I always associate "Stardust We Are" (the song) with those types of situations, the inevitability of loved ones effectively being given an expiration date.  I don't know why, but that song brings me comfort and a certain amount of emotional release during those moments.

Good luck and again, I'm sorry to hear of your news.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 02:23
I`ll firstly say thank you for your post about my family, sorry about the emotic0ns its just hard to put into the right text how I`m trying to hold everyone together, also I`ve been forever blessed with having 4/5 topics buzzing around my brain at once and whenever I start or don't start as one topic will fellow in or around the same time and come out all gibberish to others, so as not to lose a friend I`ll been more focused on the post.

Music Is Live

<
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 13:14
Sorry, I meant to write back sooner, but then the weekend hit.  You never have to worry about losing a friend by your writing styles.  I just may not answer your questions if I don't understand what you wrote.

You're good, I'll probably make fun of your writing styles at times, but hey, that's what friends do.  My own writing style is certainly open for ridicule as well.  I believe the word pompous has been used in the past.  ;)

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 13:31
Hey guys, been listening to Heliopolis' new album.........very good stuff to my ears.  The singer is a dead ringer for Geddy Lee, though the music isn't all that much like Rush (some influence here and there I guess).  The bassist and drummer are from Mars Hollow, and started this after that band imploded.  Can't say for sure if this would appeal to fans of that band since I've never heard that band before (well, I think I heard their second album once, but don't remember anything about it).

Anyway, it's a quite good modern prog album........more a mix of retro and modern I guess.  Some beautiful melodies, a bit of dark dissonance here and there for effect, overall pretty uplifting themes and melodies.  Which I would imagine would appeal to FK fans.

On another note, I've also been listening to Hackett's Genesis Revisited Live at the Royal Albert Hall.  To be honest, my main feeling throughout is that I'd rather just hear the originals.  Don't get me wrong, the band is fabulous, Nad is great, Hackett is as incredible as ever........it's just that I don't think this adds anything whatsoever to the material that Genesis themselves didn't give it.  In fact, whenever some little difference occurs, I just miss the original even more.  Maybe actually being at a show would have been more enjoyable......I still haven't watched the DVD, so I'll have to do that soon to see if that helps the effect.  It is nice hearing Roine get to perform with one of his heroes and getting props from Hackett.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 14:01
I received the Heliopolis album on Saturday.  I look forward to listening to it.  I really enjoyed the Mars Hollow albums, especially their first.  And I kind of have a thing for Rush, so that could be a plus. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 05:15
I`m still feeling my own way through the newer PROG bands, which isn't possible the likes of some persons on this website but its better for me as I`d been let down with some so called PROG!. which means I`ve gotten albums which I`ll never play again... I`ve been through the none PROG music this last week or so which I`ve never really been through before which as been a very strange feeling in deed, for as long as the old little grey cells will let me remember the music which as on many times allowed me the exit of life`s tidal waves of more downward deepest darkest moments within the modern times life`s throws up once now and than in times like this that's always allowed me the transport to exodus the life`s realities is the music we al call progressive rock
but as I`ve said the last few weeks I`ve been unable to lose myself within the PROG!!!!... its a fabulous lifeline for all whom wallow within the magical music being made for the enlightened among us here...

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 417418419420421 486>