Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 423424425426427 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 13:03
well on another busy day listen to Citizen Cain there vocals is more like Peter G. than fish...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 12:33
well the BBQ is coming out this weekend as the sun is coming out LOLmaybe. queue the RIAN LOLLOL 
I`ll be the dj too!!!! so its TFK and PROG... all the way...StarClap 

Music Is Live

<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 17:12
I do love TFK - but 1 album alone, start to finish, is Prog overkill - and they just prove that you can have too much of a good thing.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 01:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I do love TFK - but 1 album alone, start to finish, is Prog overkill - and they just prove that you can have too much of a good thing.
overkill yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesLOL

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 09:00
whenever isn't forever, within the symphonic music... are I`ve never been so wrapt in inner confusion about the music we all find amazing... which is split into so many sub-genres within its umbrella definition,
symphonic   hard-progressive  classical rock  progressive folk  art rock pomp rock  Canterbury  electronic 
avant prog krautrock space rock fusion-jazz prog-metal zeuhl  rock in opposition neo-prog and chamber prog rock .
the list:
using the titles as a description for the thoughts of the CRITICS. As they need labels...
where`s the symphonic music...

its been a neo-prog rock listening to for me with the bands marillion/twelfth night/iq/pendragon and pallas with a little citizen cain... looking out for the newer listening pleasure within the prog genres...Wink   

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 01:28
can you feel it PROG... 
well I`ve been on the cooking/dj tasks yesterday wonderous  time was had. the only downer was no prog...
hoping to play prog later....LOL   

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 02:13
well I`ve been revisiting an old friend they are VULGAR UNICORN...

Music Is Live

<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 02:21
okay I am going to have to say that Banks Of Eden is a modern day symph classic. I love it. Now I must go and lie down in a darkened room with a damp cloth on my head
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 02:29
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 14:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Couldn't disagree more.  Though I admit that a couple of those doubles are quite challenging to sit through from start to finish, but the singles I've never had any feeling of overkill whatsoever.  To each his own, I guess.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 14:24
I'll have to pull out Banks of Eden and see if my opinion has changed.  It's very nearly my least favorite FK album (though it's certainly not bad, by any means).
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 16:15
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

okay I am going to have to say that Banks Of Eden is a modern day symph classic. I love it. Now I must go and lie down in a darkened room with a damp cloth on my head
its just the funnies you state damp cloth yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss...

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 02:21
  there as never been a time when the music called progressive rock. as lifting my inner childlike soul... so as the employment game as the no off switch keeps coming to the OFF. as yet again I`ve been put out of grass to many times, this latest issue is a blow out of the dark. so its time to dust down the geekfreak and move on. so TFK music will pull me through yet again...

Music Is Live

<
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 12:29
I have listened to The Flower King album 3 times this week, for no reason, maybe the improved weather in the northeast US recently.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 12:56
Hmm been looking outer the employment loop, the flower kings aren't in the loop too! 

Music Is Live

<
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 21:07
I have a bunch of parts from Humanizzimo stuck in my head.

I have such bad pre-listen anxiety when it comes to TFK and some other prog bands. I don't think it's real anxiety but it's weird. It takes me sometimes days to get around to an album, but I'll think about it for a while. Not usually like that with jazz, funk, metal, jam bands, etc... It's why I've only been listening to The Flower King, to warm me up, because it has been very long since I've been on a real TFK kick (like, since 2012)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 02:36
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I have such bad pre-listen anxiety when it comes to TFK and some other prog bands. I don't think it's real anxiety but it's weird. It takes me sometimes days to get around to an album, but I'll think about it for a while. Not usually like that with jazz, funk, metal, jam bands, etc... It's why I've only been listening to The Flower King, to warm me up, because it has been very long since I've been on a real TFK kick (like, since 2012)
well wee hmmm keep calm darken room headphones on and you`ll be fine...

well to state the truth I`m listening to Citizen Cain/Vulgar Unicorn/Glass Hammer ooh yes no TFK...Confused   

Music Is Live

<
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:50
So I've been cranking The Flower King for a couple of weeks, and I'm ready to jump into their discography again. The band has been on my mind lately, and I almost put on Unfold the Future, but chickened out and put on Beardfish. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll do it chronologically, but then I want to hear the new album (still haven't heard it, the CD has been sitting on my shelf for months).

What's a TFK album you would put on when it's been a long time since you last listened to them. The one that reminds you of why you enjoy this band so much?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:55
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

well wee hmmm keep calm darken room headphones on and you`ll be fine...

well to state the truth I`m listening to Citizen Cain/Vulgar Unicorn/Glass Hammer ooh yes no TFK...Confused   

A lot of it has to do with being certain I can devote the time to a TFK album with no distractions. They're a band that demands your undivided attention.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 04:04
I don't know if any of you guys have heard the Italian band The Watch.  They are a part-time Genesis tribute band that also write their own music and have several albums to their name.  After hearing a sample track I took the plunge and bought their album Vacuum.  All I can say is this is like a long lost missing Genesis album circa 1973-4.  The sound is Genesis, the vocalist is a Gabriel clone and the music is exceptional.  A huge plus is the top class modern production, sadly missing from those earlier Genesis releases.  There are no rip offs as such, just songs written in the Genesis style, which I can live with (some probably can't).  Particularly recommended to Rob, possibly slightly earlier than your favourite Genesis period Tom?

This persuaded me to get their latest album Tracks From The Alps.  It's good but not as good as Vacuum, and they have done it and commited the cardinal sin, yes the obligatory Apocalypse in 9/8 "borrow", a move already made famous by many prog bands.  Strangely though the latest album is less of a Genesis soundalike and I found myself likening it more to IQ.  Now I know IQ have always been heavily influenced by Genesis but in my view they don't sound like them.  Perhaps The Watch are progressing Wink.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 423424425426427 486>