Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 424425426427428 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 04:33
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I do love TFK - but 1 album alone, start to finish, is Prog overkill - and they just prove that you can have too much of a good thing.

Couldn't disagree more.  Though I admit that a couple of those doubles are quite challenging to sit through from start to finish, but the singles I've never had any feeling of overkill whatsoever.  To each his own, I guess.
I did mean 1 complete release (as opposed to a single disc/LP). At over 2hrs, can be a slog - and yes, it's mostly excellent material.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 07:20
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

So I've been cranking The Flower King for a couple of weeks, and I'm ready to jump into their discography again. The band has been on my mind lately, and I almost put on Unfold the Future, but chickened out and put on Beardfish. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll do it chronologically, but then I want to hear the new album (still haven't heard it, the CD has been sitting on my shelf for months).

What's a TFK album you would put on when it's been a long time since you last listened to them. The one that reminds you of why you enjoy this band so much?

I'd put on Retropolis, but that's mostly because I always considered it my favorite (it was the first I ever heard) AND it's their shortest album prior to the most recent two.  As you know, I'm not crazy about the last two albums.  That said, I have Banks Of Eden in my car right now, waiting for it's turn.  It's been quite a while since I've listened to a FK album myself, though I usually reserve them for the spring/summer, since they just seem like that kind of band to me.  I'm hoping Banks will appeal to me more than it has in the past.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 07:26
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I don't know if any of you guys have heard the Italian band The Watch.  They are a part-time Genesis tribute band that also write their own music and have several albums to their name.  After hearing a sample track I took the plunge and bought their album Vacuum.  All I can say is this is like a long lost missing Genesis album circa 1973-4.  The sound is Genesis, the vocalist is a Gabriel clone and the music is exceptional.  A huge plus is the top class modern production, sadly missing from those earlier Genesis releases.  There are no rip offs as such, just songs written in the Genesis style, which I can live with (some probably can't).  Particularly recommended to Rob, possibly slightly earlier than your favourite Genesis period Tom?

This persuaded me to get their latest album Tracks From The Alps.  It's good but not as good as Vacuum, and they have done it and commited the cardinal sin, yes the obligatory Apocalypse in 9/8 "borrow", a move already made famous by many prog bands.  Strangely though the latest album is less of a Genesis soundalike and I found myself likening it more to IQ.  Now I know IQ have always been heavily influenced by Genesis but in my view they don't sound like them.  Perhaps The Watch are progressing Wink.

I've been listening to them since 2000 or so...........I recommend The Nightwatch album....different lineup, different band name.....same type of music.  It's basically their first album.   http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=265

It's probably their most Genesis sounding album, I'd have to say, though there is an instrumental that sound much more like 80's King Crimson than Genesis (the guitarist, who also co-wrote a lot of the tunes, went on to form an RIO style prog band later on.......probably not your cup of tea).

Strangely enough, Vacuum and Tracks From the Alps are the two albums I don't own by The Watch.  I have all the rest.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 07:29

I do love TFK - but 1 album alone, start to finish, is Prog overkill - and they just prove that you can have too much of a good thing.

Couldn't disagree more.  Though I admit that a couple of those doubles are quite challenging to sit through from start to finish, but the singles I've never had any feeling of overkill whatsoever.  To each his own, I guess.

I did mean 1 complete release (as opposed to a single disc/LP). At over 2hrs, can be a slog - and yes, it's mostly excellent material.

Yeah, fair enough.  I remember being quite excited at how long their albums were back in the late 90's when I first started listening to them.  I always felt like the classic 70's prog bands albums were too short (except for the doubles, of course).  Over the years, I've come to appreciate shorter albums lengths though.  Probably because I have less time to sit and listen than I used to WinkLOL
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 08:40

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I don't know if any of you guys have heard the Italian band The Watch.  They are a part-time Genesis tribute band that also write their own music and have several albums to their name.  After hearing a sample track I took the plunge and bought their album Vacuum.  All I can say is this is like a long lost missing Genesis album circa 1973-4.  The sound is Genesis, the vocalist is a Gabriel clone and the music is exceptional.  A huge plus is the top class modern production, sadly missing from those earlier Genesis releases.  There are no rip offs as such, just songs written in the Genesis style, which I can live with (some probably can't).  Particularly recommended to Rob, possibly slightly earlier than your favourite Genesis period Tom?

This persuaded me to get their latest album Tracks From The Alps.  It's good but not as good as Vacuum, and they have done it and commited the cardinal sin, yes the obligatory Apocalypse in 9/8 "borrow", a move already made famous by many prog bands.  Strangely though the latest album is less of a Genesis soundalike and I found myself likening it more to IQ.  Now I know IQ have always been heavily influenced by Genesis but in my view they don't sound like them.  Perhaps The Watch are progressing Wink.

I've been listening to them since 2000 or so...........I recommend The Nightwatch album....different lineup, different band name.....same type of music.  It's basically their first album.   http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=265

It's probably their most Genesis sounding album, I'd have to say, though there is an instrumental that sound much more like 80's King Crimson than Genesis (the guitarist, who also co-wrote a lot of the tunes, went on to form an RIO style prog band later on.......probably not your cup of tea).

Strangely enough, Vacuum and Tracks From the Alps are the two albums I don't own by The Watch.  I have all the rest.

Mmmm, that sounds good, I'll certainly look into that one.  Thanks for the recommendation Mike Thumbs Up
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 11:55
bullsh*t it sounds like genesis tag again. don`t like it as its always dished out on most bands music if it hints at... I wonder if genesis sounds like Bach!!!!LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 08:28
well I`ve been researching the progressive rock and classical music are joined together within the people whom listen to one may/ do listen to the other. so is or isn't that true... hmmm to be truthful I`m in the yes vote... but I`ve never known many other worshipers of PROG like CLASSICAL TOO!...  Confused

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 12:34
Hmmm  didn't well wouldn't likely be chatting wee no thinking about the bands on which I`ve been a fan of. ooh sorry they are Echolyn/Salem Hill/Discipline and Rocket Scientists, which I`m unsure there are threads on them. here which is a bit silly but ok are there any other forum members here whom are enjoying the four bands above... as I`ve been lacking in chat about these bands...LOL 

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 13:34
well firstly biggest thank you to M27Braney for passing on the bands whom I`ve checked out and am adding to my collection so many thanks... right the progressive monster is out in full for GF, as I`ve been listening to the bands M27 told me about and so of my already added bands the old guard to. the best times where the newer bands two of them MS/Haken where the heightened pleasure dome of upper lifting music moments with the musicians where playing... than the band Magic Pie wow yes. also the two `70`s greats TLLDOB/TFTO what happiness YES... sadly on TFK... maybe later or once the sun comes out LOL...

Music Is Live

<
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:00
I went to see Arena on saturday and very good it was too.  The venue for the gig was Montgomery Hall in Wath upon Dearne.  A quirky venue, but very friendly, and very importantly a good choice of beers and ales at pretty cheap prices (£2.80 a pint, can't be bad Wink). As their 20th Anniversary Tour they played a cross section of stuff from their catalogue and didn't overload the set with stuff off the upcoming album (although the material from that sounded good).  My highlights were Riding the Tide, several off the Visitor and the incomparable Moviedrome.

We got to meet some of the band afterwards and Clive Nolan is as nice a guy as you could ever hope to meet.  Surprisingly John Mitchell came across as a bit miserable.  I'll forgive him though, this touring lark is hard work and at least he came out to speak to the fans.  I think Mitchell is a genius, he is very close to being my favourite guitarist. 

I managed to pick up the new album at the gig.  Very pleasing since the official release date is 27th April!!  Now to find some time to have a listen to it.

Edited by Roj - March 23 2015 at 08:02
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 16:03
Hey Roj, I've got Contagion, Breakfast in Biarritz and Immortal - and I don't think I've spun them!!! or if I have it was a long time ago and they didn't grab me first spin....
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 04:09
^ I don't know Breakfast In Biarritz (that's a live album I think isn't it?) but Contagion and Immortal are superb albums.  Give them a spin Rob, you'll love them.  I know Tom is also a huge fan of Contagion.

After the gig when I spoke with Clive Nolan (also keys player in Pendragon) I told him about the gig we went to see them at the Solem Bar at Manchester University back in about 84/85, remember that?  He was like "Yeah, I remember that - I certainly remember the University tour - now you're making me feel old LOL".  It was a great gig, us two proggers along with about 50 students who were just in there for the cheap beer LOL.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 04:30
don`t have any albums by Arena. I`ve a few by Pendragon which I`ve enjoyed for yrs... must check out so of Arena albums... 

Music Is Live

<
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 21:47

So I've been cranking The Flower King for a couple of weeks, and I'm ready to jump into their discography again. The band has been on my mind lately, and I almost put on Unfold the Future, but chickened out and put on Beardfish. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll do it chronologically, but then I want to hear the new album (still haven't heard it, the CD has been sitting on my shelf for months).

What's a TFK album you would put on when it's been a long time since you last listened to them. The one that reminds you of why you enjoy this band so much?

I'd put on Retropolis, but that's mostly because I always considered it my favorite (it was the first I ever heard) AND it's their shortest album prior to the most recent two.  As you know, I'm not crazy about the last two albums.  That said, I have Banks Of Eden in my car right now, waiting for it's turn.  It's been quite a while since I've listened to a FK album myself, though I usually reserve them for the spring/summer, since they just seem like that kind of band to me.  I'm hoping Banks will appeal to me more than it has in the past.

Space Revolver was my first, I would do that or World of Adventures. Something about that first album has that feeling of "here we go!"
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 10:41

Space Revolver was my first, I would do that or World of Adventures. Something about that first album has that feeling of "here we go!"

Yeah, those first 5 (including The Flower King here because it's basically a FK album) are all outstanding.  I don't think they bettered them, though Unfold is brilliant and a different beast, and I love Sum as well.

I just listened to Banks Of Eden a couple of times, for the first time in probably 2 years.  I was thinking maybe my opinion would have changed.  It really hasn't.  It's decent, I suppose, and the second and third tracks I really like, but Numbers just seems so drawn out and lethargic to me.  Roine plays a couple of killer guitar solos, as usual, but it just feels like they are dragging themes out to make it a really long track.  I feel like it could have been 10 minutes long and been a much better piece.  Anyway, I tried.  I'll have to pull out Desolation Rose again soon too, though I liked that one more than Banks.  Neither one really seems up to their usual standards for me though.

I also pulled out Tomas Bodin's "I AM" for the first time in a few years, and I still think it's the best FK album since Unfold, even though it's not a FK album.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:42

but it just feels like they are dragging themes out to make it a really long track

Ehhh?? - Next, You'll be asking why they couldn't cut it down to say three or four minutes and put in lovely meaningful words... to make it a song your wife would dig!!!! - HIT YOURSELF ON THE HEAD WITH THE PROG HAMMER......I would be asking myself why they didn't make it LONGER....Roine had space for another solo at least....LOL PEACE!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 11:24
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

but it just feels like they are dragging themes out to make it a really long track

Ehhh?? - Next, You'll be asking why they couldn't cut it down to say three or four minutes and put in lovely meaningful words... to make it a song your wife would dig!!!! - HIT YOURSELF ON THE HEAD WITH THE PROG HAMMER......I would be asking myself why they didn't make it LONGER....Roine had space for another solo at least....LOL PEACE!
I`m with you M27Barney...PEACELOL

Music Is Live

<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 10:41
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

No, I'm asking where is the PROG in that lengthy piece?  It's all very slow and uncomplicated.  Which doesn't necessarily make it bad, but frankly it just get boring quickly and I have trouble keeping my attention on it because almost nothing is happening of any interest through most of the piece (the lyrics are fine, I don't have any issues there).  Another Roine solo would have helped, since the two main solos he does are about the only interesting parts of the whole thing.  I do like the first few minutes, and the dramatic bit that happens towards the end ("And then the numbers may not come up right, And the artifacts are more than frightening").  That's it.  Hardly seems to justify 26 minutes, IMO.  Hey, I'm not criticizing anyone who likes the song.  Many people seem to love it.  I just can't understand why.  I guess if it were longer, I get in more nap time when I fall asleep after the first few minutes from sheer boredom Wink

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 12:12
Speaking of crazy long songs LOL. I bought this monster 3-LP/2-CD set and simply love Side 6 25:00 minutes of Stardust We Are. It does not drag on since it changes directions all thru the piece, really seems shorter than 25:00 minutes

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 12:46
Is it the first time you've heard "Stardust We Are?" - Absolutely amazing epic and easily in amongst the finest of what symphonic prog has to offer!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 424425426427428 486>