Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 426427428429430 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 14:00
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ That is an old album like 1984 or so.....I have a digital download of that one I think...just 3 songs right?

How do you like the Grand Experiment? I don't have that one yet.....

Catcher, don't know if you'll see this, but I have listened to the whole album a couple times.  I love it.  It sounds like the Spock's Beard album that should have come after Snow, had Neal stayed in the band.  So basically, typical Neal Morse stuff (which I happen to like quite a bit, so it doesn't bother me that it sounds like just about any other of his albums you can think of).  It's funny that they supposedly approached this differently than any other of his albums (went in the studio with no material at all), and still managed to put out exactly what you would expect to hear from something involving Neal Morse.  The Call is my favorite song by him in a long time, love it.  The only thing I don't care for is Agenda, which seems ridiculous, but also sounds like it could have been on any of the Spock's albums Neal did with them.  The rest is great.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 11:56
Today is a beautiful Spring day, sunny skies, light wind, I have my first day off of work today since January. What is the first thing I put on?

I haven't listened to much TFK or prog aside from occasional dips in the pool for a couple of years now, but BITWOA is hitting the spot Cool

Coming off a big Ozric Tentacles and Pat Metheny Group kick recently, I've taken note on the ambient and world music aspects of TFK, particularly when the band enters some exotic territory, like in Atomic Prince/Kaleidoscope.

Man, the title track has to be one of the best openers in a prog album. So many great ideas, the band is full of energy. Listening now, it has a "90s feel", not sure how to describe it, and it's not a negative thing, but it's not something I've taken note of before. The instrumentals have to be some of the best stuff Roine and co. have written. The whole album really does pick up where The Flower King left off, yet also feels like it's own beginning. TFK is like a "prequel" to BITWOA. I will say, that I enjoy the debut over Roine's solo album by a fraction of an inch, but both are fantastic. Back In The World of Adventures just rocks harder.

WOW! So many layers and little things I never noticed before. Every listen to a TFK album reveals new elements and surprises.

I think I may go through the band's discography, all the way to Desolation Rose, which I still have not listened to yet.

Edited by darkshade - April 15 2015 at 12:18
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 13:06
Yeah, those first 5 FK albums (including The Flower King here) are all fantastic and aside from Unfold and Sum, are by far the best they ever did.  Only the doubles have some "non-essential" tracks on them, that I still like even if they don't blow my socks off.  There is not a bad tune on Back In The World or Retropolis, IMO.  I haven't listened to either in about a year, but spring/summer is when I usually break out TFK's, so it's about that time again.  Going on a plane ride tomorrow and have every FK album on my MP3 player, so it should be a good trip (sonically, anyway).
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 10:28
Listening to Retropolis for the first time in who knows how long. My last.fm could probably tell me. But this was one of my least favorites of TFK, mostly due to being less familiar with the album. I will have to bump it up a few notches on my favorites list. The title track was always a favorite, but the rest of the album never gelled for me. Wasn't the music on this album written 10 years prior or something like that?

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 12:17
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ That is an old album like 1984 or so.....I have a digital download of that one I think...just 3 songs right?

How do you like the Grand Experiment? I don't have that one yet.....

Catcher, don't know if you'll see this, but I have listened to the whole album a couple times.  I love it.  It sounds like the Spock's Beard album that should have come after Snow, had Neal stayed in the band.  So basically, typical Neal Morse stuff (which I happen to like quite a bit, so it doesn't bother me that it sounds like just about any other of his albums you can think of).  It's funny that they supposedly approached this differently than any other of his albums (went in the studio with no material at all), and still managed to put out exactly what you would expect to hear from something involving Neal Morse.  The Call is my favorite song by him in a long time, love it.  The only thing I don't care for is Agenda, which seems ridiculous, but also sounds like it could have been on any of the Spock's albums Neal did with them.  The rest is great.

Awesome...Thank you!! Will order it then. I too enjoy pretty much any and all Neal Morse material........If you don't already know the pic of Portnoy in my signature is from the T2 show in Seattle, my wife took that pic...One of the best concert shots she has ever taken. Portnoy used it for his Facebook profile for a couple months.

Edited by Catcher10 - April 17 2015 at 12:19
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 02:11
tum ta te titita te tite tum..... blup blu blu pu pu... wheeehiiheeem tum tek ti tak ... prelipupu... Big smileThe Flower Kings - The Truth Will Set You Free xxxx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFanl90r7Mw&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMpru59t6e6aNB3556gzv7j&index=33 xxxx
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 09:24
Is there a Humanizzimo quote or tease in Garden of Dreams in the Business Vamp track? I think so. It's kind of towards the end of the track.

Also, I haven't listened to Garden of Dreams in so long, I'm already getting emotional, and I'm only up to the 'All You Can Save' section. Beautiful music.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 15:24

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

starting with a transatlantic vibe, then ta tata moving head side to side and then the vocals kick in in, while sound not dropping, while having a tune playing in the background, overlapping musical layers, guitars adding to the vocal experience, up to the lead break again with rhythm and tunes taking one into a fantastic listening experience with the synths going one way while guitars on another tune and vocals (kicking in Jon Anderson like) spot on time, then giving way to the instrumentals again letting them take the lead inc. funny noises, soft and heavy naughty ones.
Fantastic track this is!
The Flower Kings : Banks of Eden - 02 For The Love Of Gold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taw99vMIyhM
hahahaha fantastic Thumbs Up

Actually, that's my favorite song on Banks.  The only one I really love, actually Smile  So, I agree Kati, fantastic tune!! Clap
mhwoaaahhxxxx Hug
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 17:01
Hello all, just wanted to drop in for a quick 'hello'.  Sad to say, I really haven't listened to a lot of Flower Kings as of late.  I don't have a good reason, just been focusing on a lot of new bands for the site.

Hope all is well.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 19:56
Hi Roland. I'm listening to TFK for the first time in the better part of 3 years, so I feel you.

Magic Pie has to be one of my favorite TFK songs. I really like that chorus.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 19:57
Hi Roland. I'm listening to TFK for the first time in the better part of 3 years, so I feel you.

Magic Pie has to be one of my favorite TFK songs. I really like that chorus.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 05:37
Originally posted by laurarichardson laurarichardson wrote:

(...)

“In time our heart will open, you’ll let her in
            To see we are one, this one that we are
            In time your eyes will open, time will tell
            ‘Larger-than-life,’ ‘revolve among stars’”

I Am The Sun is a great epic indeed! Clap
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 05:59

starting with a transatlantic vibe, then ta tata moving head side to side and then the vocals kick in in, while sound not dropping, while having a tune playing in the background, overlapping musical layers, guitars adding to the vocal experience, up to the lead break again with rhythm and tunes taking one into a fantastic listening experience with the synths going one way while guitars on another tune and vocals (kicking in Jon Anderson like) spot on time, then giving way to the instrumentals again letting them take the lead inc. funny noises, soft and heavy naughty ones.
Fantastic track this is!
The Flower Kings : Banks of Eden - 02 For The Love Of Gold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taw99vMIyhM

I love this song so much. 

"And if you see those men who are sanctified for love of gold
(See you down the road)
When the brightest art is sodomized, burn it down
(See you down the road)
When the mighty fall and try to hide, call them out
(See you down the road)
When the darkest lie is justified, break it down~"
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 11:21
You know I've not listened to the Flower Kings in a while - I must remedy that.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 11:57
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

(...)

See, this is one of my favorite all time songs.  I have pretty much sang the beginning of I Am the Sun, Part 2, to my daughter, just about every night for the past seven years now.  It's still known as 'The Baby Elephany Song' in our household.  Granted, now that the ex and I are no more, she gets two nights a week off when she stays at her mother's place, but still, she gets a healthy dose of Flower Kings on a daily basis.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 19:03
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

(...)

See, this is one of my favorite all time songs.  I have pretty much sang the beginning of I Am the Sun, Part 2, to my daughter, just about every night for the past seven years now.  It's still known as 'The Baby Elephany Song' in our household.  Granted, now that the ex and I are no more, she gets two nights a week off when she stays at her mother's place, but still, she gets a healthy dose of Flower Kings on a daily basis.
Great, Roland113! It's so nice to hear that you learned you daughter to listen to so great prog band as The Flower Kings as well! 
That new generation of youth, very early, at their childhood actually, have to be educated by their prog-lovers parents to listening to prog! It's priceless for the future of our beloved genre! Cheers Thumbs Up

Edited by Svetonio - April 22 2015 at 19:05
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 22:34

Fantastic track this is!

Actually, that's my favorite song on Banks.  The only one I really love, actually Smile  So, I agree Kati, fantastic tune!! Clap
Ditto, mine too Smile, Infamous,
Big hug to you and thank you Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 22:36
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Fantastic track this is!
Kati wonderous vibe for starters...Clap
Yay thanks, Geekfreak LOL
I like this track very much, ApproveThumbs Up
Big hug to you Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 22:38
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Fantastic track this is!

I love this song so much. 

"And if you see those men who are sanctified for love of gold
(See you down the road)
When the brightest art is sodomized, burn it down
(See you down the road)
When the mighty fall and try to hide, call them out
(See you down the road)
When the darkest lie is justified, break it down~"

Me tooo.... Man OverboardHug ApproveThumbs Up another big hug to you, Hugthank you!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 08:18
no music as the hi-fi is brokenCry
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 426427428429430 486>