Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 427428429430431 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 15:22
The new Hackett CD is a definite winner - some of the best guitar work I've heard in many a long year - and collectively (not a single dud track on it) - one of the best CD's I've heard in years!!!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 16:01
The Flower Kings Stardust we are part 3/3 with Daniel Gildenlow (Guitar / voice / Keyboard / Percussions) and with Zoltan on drums xxxx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze5BDwXCmvM xxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 16:05
The Flower Kings - A Vampires View with Daniel Gildenlöw on vocals, from the album "Adam & Eve" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGDPAB4kty0 xxxx
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 02:45
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The new Hackett CD is a definite winner - some of the best guitar work I've heard in many a long year - and collectively (not a single dud track on it) - one of the best CD's I've heard in years!!!

agreedClap

although check out Dave Kerzner's - New World which also includes Hackett making a guest appearance. The album flew under the radar last year and would have easily made my top five releases if I had known about it. There is a rather wonderful deluxe edition and some lovely artwork to go with it

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 16:44
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by laurarichardson laurarichardson wrote:

(...)

“In time our heart will open, you’ll let her in
            To see we are one, this one that we are
            In time your eyes will open, time will tell
            ‘Larger-than-life,’ ‘revolve among stars’”

I Am The Sun is a great epic indeed! Clap

See, this is one of my favorite all time songs.  I have pretty much sang the beginning of I Am the Sun, Part 2, to my daughter, just about every night for the past seven years now.  It's still known as 'The Baby Elephany Song' in our household.  Granted, now that the ex and I are no more, she gets two nights a week off when she stays at her mother's place, but still, she gets a healthy dose of Flower Kings on a daily basis.
Great, Roland113! It's so nice to hear that you learned you daughter to listen to so great prog band as The Flower Kings as well! 
That new generation of youth, very early, at their childhood actually, have to be educated by their prog-lovers parents to listening to prog! It's priceless for the future of our beloved genre! Cheers Thumbs Up

Thank you Svetoino, I'm happy to say that the girl has been listening to prog for the vast majority of her life.  I got back into prog when my wife, at the time, was pregnant, and haven't looked back since.  She's heard a a lot of Flower Kings, IQ and Spock's Beard over the years and while she does listen to some of the more popular music at times, she has a good taste of what I like to refer to as 'good music' in there as well.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 08:09
Well I finally listened to something, well almost Flower Kings todayWink, Tomas Bodin's debut album An Ordinary Night In My Ordinary Life.  I got this a couple of months back and had only listened once previously.  I think it's great as are all his solo albums.  This though is very TFK-ish, more so than his other solo albums imho.  The atmosphere reminds me of the early TFK albums, only with keys to the fore as opposed to guitar.

This has to be a winner though, Roine on guitars and Jaime Salazar on drums.  Now I'm not saying he's as good as Zoltan technically, but for some reason I just love Salazar's style.

I like the sound of this new Hackett album.  I was listening to Voyage of the Acolyte only last week and thought about getting the new one.  I've only ever got 2 of his solo albums and if this new one is getting platitudes maybe that's the way to go........
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 02:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

agreedClap

although check out Dave Kerzner's - New World which also includes Hackett making a guest appearance. The album flew under the radar last year and would have easily made my top five releases if I had known about it. There is a rather wonderful deluxe edition and some lovely artwork to go with it

I'll Buy that when I get my birthday monies.....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 02:20
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Well I finally listened to something, well almost Flower Kings todayWink, Tomas Bodin's debut album An Ordinary Night In My Ordinary Life.  I got this a couple of months back and had only listened once previously.  I think it's great as are all his solo albums.  This though is very TFK-ish, more so than his other solo albums imho.  The atmosphere reminds me of the early TFK albums, only with keys to the fore as opposed to guitar.

This has to be a winner though, Roine on guitars and Jaime Salazar on drums.  Now I'm not saying he's as good as Zoltan technically, but for some reason I just love Salazar's style.

I like the sound of this new Hackett album.  I was listening to Voyage of the Acolyte only last week and thought about getting the new one.  I've only ever got 2 of his solo albums and if this new one is getting platitudes maybe that's the way to go........
Platitudes - is that the correct word? (trite, meaningless, or prosaic statement) - More like 'exhortations' - I reckon - I have about 100 CD's on my wish list, shortly I have to make a decision and sort out the order in which to buy!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 10:05
^ Only a list of 100?? Seems thin to me LOL Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 13:07
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well I mustn't be greedy - Buying them is fine. It's then listening to all of them, before I buy some more. That is the real problem !!!

Edited by M27Barney - April 28 2015 at 13:08
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 13:41
^ I hear ya....I have 4-5 vinyl albums I have not spun yet. This weekend is busy so not sure when I will get to them......Think I need to take a vacation day from work!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 17:20

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well I mustn't be greedy - Buying them is fine. It's then listening to all of them, before I buy some more. That is the real problem !!!
yes the wish list . then find the time to listen to them..
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 17:21
the only downer is that I`ve not played any TFKCry

Music Is Live

<
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 17:04
I'm litening to Alive On Planet Earth for the first time. I have a new appreciation for the pre-Jonas albums lately, especially the strongest material. I can't believe I waited this long to hear this album. I only have Meet The Flower Kings as far as their live albums go, but they sound great live.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 17:10
well on the way and from work " SWA " disc 1..

Music Is Live

<
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 17:16
Something that has taken me some time to deal with, is separating the weak material from the stronger stuff. I'm not talking about recognizing what is stronger material against weaker songs, but getting over the "I have to listen to the whole album" mentality.

Of course, when it's worth going through the whole album, it's great. Going through the TFK discography, I now don't care about hitting 'skip' if I'm not feeling a song, or if it is truly weaker material, whereas I used to power through it most of the time. TFK clearly have filler in many of their albums, for better or worse, and if I just want to listen to the best of the best tunes on Unfold the Future or Stardust We Are, I will, instead of sitting through the whole thing.

Might also have something to do with my free time getting less and less as I get older, so I don't have time to sit through 2 1/2 hours of music in one sitting; and I don't even have a wife and kids yet!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 17:25
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Something that has taken me some time to deal with, is separating the weak material from the stronger stuff. I'm not talking about recognizing what is stronger material against weaker songs, but getting over the "I have to listen to the whole album" mentality.

Of course, when it's worth going through the whole album, it's great. Going through the TFK discography, I now don't care about hitting 'skip' if I'm not feeling a song, or if it is truly weaker material, whereas I used to power through it most of the time. TFK clearly have filler in many of their albums, for better or worse, and if I just want to listen to the best of the best tunes on Unfold the Future or Stardust We Are, I will, instead of sitting through the whole thing.

Might also have something to do with my free time getting less and less as I get older, so I don't have time to sit through 2 1/2 hours of music in one sitting; and I don't even have a wife and kids yet!
oh boy wait till they come alongLOL 

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 10:00
It's a cycle.....
Younger/no family = I listened to TONS of music
Wife/raising kids, changing diapers = No time to listen
Older kids, they can feed themselves = I have more time now to listen
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 16:57
well another wonderous drive home disc 2 TFK SWA...Thumbs Up

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 11:28
on the holidays for a week so TFK albums coming along are FP/SWA/BOE...Clap

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 427428429430431 486>