Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 430431432433434 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 08:46
I've been listening my way through the entire FK catalog for the past few weeks on my walks at lunchtime.  Man, Space Revolver is a GREAT album.  I might have to rethink my rankings of their albums now......

However, I'm only through Unfold, still an incredible album and quite an achievement.  I think now more than ever that Zoltan was the catalyst for that burst of amazing creativity.  He really makes that album what it is.  Still my favorite FK drummer, even if Salazar was the one who played on all the albums of my favorite era of the band.

Next up will be Adam & Eve, which is still one of my least favorite of theirs (though we'll see if I still consider it my absolute least favorite, since Banks seems like it might be that).

It's been so long since I've done this, and some of these albums (A&E in particular) I haven't listened to in years.  I'm most looking forward to Paradox Hotel though, as it's been a really long time since I spun the whole thing (a couple tracks have come up on random over the years) and aside from Monsters and Men, I really liked that album.

Anyway, it's a good time of year for the Kings, in the summer time.  I still think that The Flower King through Space Revolver is my favorite string of albums by the band, but even The Rainmaker (which at one time was my least favorite FK album) sounds better than I remember, even the songs I didn't care for (Sword of God in particular I used to skip all the time).  It's been good to hear it all again though.  Makes me start thinking about what might happen next with the band.  Last I heard they were still a going concern, just focused on other projects.  I think 2016 was mentioned by Tomas and Roine as the year for them to work on a new FK album.  We'll see, I guess.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 09:45
2016 is too far away for me.......Cry
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 08:08
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I've been listening my way through the entire FK catalog for the past few weeks on my walks at lunchtime.  Man, Space Revolver is a GREAT album.  I might have to rethink my rankings of their albums now......

However, I'm only through Unfold, still an incredible album and quite an achievement.  I think now more than ever that Zoltan was the catalyst for that burst of amazing creativity.  He really makes that album what it is.  Still my favorite FK drummer, even if Salazar was the one who played on all the albums of my favorite era of the band.

Next up will be Adam & Eve, which is still one of my least favorite of theirs (though we'll see if I still consider it my absolute least favorite, since Banks seems like it might be that).

It's been so long since I've done this, and some of these albums (A&E in particular) I haven't listened to in years.  I'm most looking forward to Paradox Hotel though, as it's been a really long time since I spun the whole thing (a couple tracks have come up on random over the years) and aside from Monsters and Men, I really liked that album.

Anyway, it's a good time of year for the Kings, in the summer time.  I still think that The Flower King through Space Revolver is my favorite string of albums by the band, but even The Rainmaker (which at one time was my least favorite FK album) sounds better than I remember, even the songs I didn't care for (Sword of God in particular I used to skip all the time).  It's been good to hear it all again though.  Makes me start thinking about what might happen next with the band.  Last I heard they were still a going concern, just focused on other projects.  I think 2016 was mentioned by Tomas and Roine as the year for them to work on a new FK album.  We'll see, I guess.

This is interesting.  I like A+E okay.  I could do without the title track and the vampire song.  I think Love Supreme is way too repetitive and Driver's Seat has some goofy parts.  I like that tune though, especially the intro.  The rest is great.  Babylon might be high favorite instrumental of theirs.  That being said, I think BoE is a masterpiece Shocked.  Numbers just flows like the best epics and all the shorter songs are great.  Even the bonus disc, except the instrumental.  

Anyway, you've inspired me to check out Paradox Hotel again.  The only one I don't own.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 08:11
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

^Ahh don't worry about that, anything and everything is up for discussion in this thread Wink.  Sometimes we'll go several pages without a mention of TFK.

The Raven is my favourite SW album for sure, I love all the tracks on it.  It's dripping in atmosphere too so that's another plus.  I think he took all his influences, added a modern twist with brilliant production and came up with a cast-iron prog classic.  I really like Insurgentes too, GFD is even better and second only to The Raven in my SW rankings.  I like HCE a lot, just not as much as the previous two.
I haven't got around to HCE yet, I have an LP copy of it reserved with Syn Phonic, but soon it will come to me.
I gotta say that it's pretty tough to choose between GFD and Raven. Luminol is a total kick-ass track, one of the best he's done. And that monster bass riff from Nick Beggs just seals the deal (my current fave bassist/stickist )

All these SW acronyms are making me crazy! LOL  I absolutely cannot get into HCE.  Real change in direction from the last two.  Alas, I don't care for Insurgents either.  The alt/metal proclivities aren't my favorite.  Oh well.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 08:44
I got the DVD/CD box of Meet the Flower Kings last week. Played it in one go - what a band they are. If anyone ever feels like donating me their full discography before I get it myself, don't hold back. Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 11:09
I love Meet The Flower Kings, it has a fantastic setlist.  I don't think you'll get too many offers from people here to donate their TFK collections to you somehow LOL.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 11:16
I totally agree with Mike regarding the run of albums from Roine's The Flower King though to Space Revolver That stretch is just fantastic.  After that I think the albums are all still excellent but I just prefer the earlier albums.

I can live with the wait until 2016 for a new one.  There's so much new stuff coming out now it's tough finding time to listen to everything.  I'm really enjoying the new Beardfish, though I agree they seem a little more serious these days.  The song If We Must Be Apart really is sensational, surely one of their best ever songs.
jammindude View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammindude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 11:38
I've always been a bit on and off about TFK's input.   Based on a recommendation, the first album I heard was World of Adventures.   When I heard the title track, I thought it was the most amazing band I had ever heard...but the rest of the album was only just OK.

I picked up Space Revolver on a really big haul one day (when I walked out of the store with about 10 CD's)...but I only spun it once, and it didn't grab me immediately. Maybe I should spin that today.
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled" -Neil Peart
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 04:48
I would do that - Space Revolver is simply a classic prog rock album. Possibly their best, certainly their most consistent imho.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 11:58
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

This is interesting.  I like A+E okay.  I could do without the title track and the vampire song.  I think Love Supreme is way too repetitive and Driver's Seat has some goofy parts.  I like that tune though, especially the intro.  The rest is great.  Babylon might be high favorite instrumental of theirs.  That being said, I think BoE is a masterpiece Shocked.  Numbers just flows like the best epics and all the shorter songs are great.  Even the bonus disc, except the instrumental.  

Anyway, you've inspired me to check out Paradox Hotel again.  The only one I don't own.  

It's funny, you and I share quite a few similar tastes in music, but in this case, we are almost opposite.  "A Vampires View" is the song that saves A&E for me, and it's by far my favorite from the album, though I agree that Babylon is a great instrumental (though far from my favorite of the Flower Kings, or even of Tomas' instrumentals for TFK's.......that honor would go to Rumble Fish Twist for Tomas instrumentals on FK albums, and Theme for A Hero for FK instrumentals in general).

I agree with you completely about both epics on A&E though..........I just listened to Love Supreme and I just can't get into that track.  The melodies just don't speak to me and it just seems like an overstretched pop song to me (though, that said, there is a quieter part with Roine's vocals that I like more than I remembered).  Driver's Seat has it's moments, but just doesn't hold together as an epic very well for me.

I will get to BOE in a week or two, but I listened to it in my car not too long ago, and while I like the first few minutes of Numbers (and a bit in the second half), I can't keep my attention on it for most of it's duration.  The tempo never goes above a moderately slow pace, there is loads of repetition, and the melodies just don't resonate with me.  That said, I like all the other songs on it fairly well, with the second track being my favorite and a typical strong FK track.  I think it was good that on the last album, Roine didn't feel obligated to include a 20+ minute epic.........the last one that I really loved was Love Is The Only Answer.  I can't say that the ones since then haven't had a good flow, because they all seem like single tracks as opposed to multi-section epics, but unfortunately for me, they fail to hold my attention and I just don't get much, if any, enjoyment out of them.  I do like that the last two albums have been more concise, with bonus CD's added for the extra material that would have otherwise made the albums 70+ minutes, but I can't say I have loved them.  I had been thinking of Banks as my least favorite FK album, but I think that will still be A&E now that I've heard it again for the first time in ages.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 17:12
@Infandous-I get what you're saying about BoE.  I think that album just hit me at the right time.  I was just getting back into the band and was so psyched for it.

In other news, it looks like Kaipa De Capo is working an album, according to Roine over the yahoo group.  Also, there's snippet of Jon Anderson with Ponty on the web.  It sounds pretty good.  I'm interested in how Roine is involved with this.  Producer?

Also, Kalivescope (sp?) is on youtube.  It is great.  Those tunes are so much better live than in the studio.  I do like Roine in that context.  Easier to hear and see his contributions when they play live.  I prefer the Enchant dude to Gildenhow too.  Sorry :-)
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 03:12

and Theme for A Hero for FK instrumentals in general

Quoted for truth Big smile.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 11:49

@Infandous-I get what you're saying about BoE.  I think that album just hit me at the right time.  I was just getting back into the band and was so psyched for it.

In other news, it looks like Kaipa De Capo is working an album, according to Roine over the yahoo group.  Also, there's snippet of Jon Anderson with Ponty on the web.  It sounds pretty good.  I'm interested in how Roine is involved with this.  Producer?

Also, Kalivescope (sp?) is on youtube.  It is great.  Those tunes are so much better live than in the studio.  I do like Roine in that context.  Easier to hear and see his contributions when they play live.  I prefer the Enchant dude to Gildenhow too.  Sorry :-)

I think that was true for a lot of people (regarding BoE).  I was actually hugely excited for it as well, so you can imagine my disappointment (though I like it more now, minus Numbers).

Roine has no involvement with the Anderson/Ponty thing.  He was apparently working with Anderson on some epic length pieces though.........whether anything comes of that or not only time will tell (but Anderson does have a habit of not following through on musical projects, so we'll see).

I just finished listening to Kalivascope (have yet to watch the DVD) and I have to admit I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Kaleidoscope (the song) I really like a lot now, and Into the Blue works better for me live than on the studio album.  I still strongly dislike Shine though.  Just seems very contrived and cheesy (more so than usual for TA Wink ).  It's funny though, as listening to We All Need Some Light, I feel like it's the same type of song....acoustic power ballad with tasty guitar solo.......but somehow it just seems more powerful and emotional to me.  Could be just because I loved that first TA album to death when it came out, and it's still my favorite.  Musical taste can be a funny thing.  But yeah, overall I really enjoy Kalivascope.  I wasn't even going to bother getting it, but Radiant had an April Fools Day sale and I got the 3 CD/1 DVD package for $7, so I figured I might as well go for it (also got Testimony 2 Live, 3 CD / 2 DVD and So Many Roads Live, 3 CD for the same price each!).

Edited by infandous - May 28 2015 at 11:51
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 08:42
We All Need Some Light is their best ballad. It's also cool they did My New World on that live set. One thing I could do without is Portoy's banter. Also, a TA song that has not held up for me is Suite Charlotte. I get that it's a tribute, but, meh.

As for BoE it does make for a great prog-pop album if you dropped Numbers. That would've been crazy if they'd made the epic the bonus track

BTW-any of y'all going to the current Rush tour? The set list looks interesting. I saw Hold Your Fire, Presto, Time Machine and the Clockwork. The last one was a snooze. I know this might be the last tour, but I'm sitting out. I am going to see BritFloyd though. It's a huge production!

Edited by zumacraig - May 29 2015 at 08:45
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 10:07

We All Need Some Light is their best ballad. It's also cool they did My New World on that live set. One thing I could do without is Portoy's banter. Also, a TA song that has not held up for me is Suite Charlotte. I get that it's a tribute, but, meh.

As for BoE it does make for a great prog-pop album if you dropped Numbers. That would've been crazy if they'd made the epic the bonus track

BTW-any of y'all going to the current Rush tour? The set list looks interesting. I saw Hold Your Fire, Presto, Time Machine and the Clockwork. The last one was a snooze. I know this might be the last tour, but I'm sitting out. I am going to see BritFloyd though. It's a huge production!

No, wasn't planning on seeing Rush.  Saw them twice on the Presto tour.  I just never listen to them anymore even though they were a huge influence on me and I was a huge fan in my younger days.  Just not that interested in seeing bands well past their prime (which isn't to say Rush wouldn't still be good.........but I've see a few songs on Youtube and Geddy just doesn't sound that great anymore).

Wow, Suite Charotte Pike.........haven't heard that in years.  I was thinking of breaking out some of the old TA albums (probably because of listening to Kalivescope).  I used to like it, but mostly the 30 minute live version with Abbey Road side 2 worked into it.  Still, not something I would listen to regularly, even when it was new.

Edited by infandous - May 29 2015 at 10:08
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 16:07
Have rush done anything worth listening to since moving pictures.....bet they haven't got one track over 7 mins since then - like Genesis - such a sad decline of brilliant musicians !!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 16:08
At least Hackett has decided to take back his rightful place at the top of  Symphonic prog rock guitarists with his latest CD - one of the best CD's I've heard in 10 years !!!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 09:00
I'm going to see Rush on June 14th.  Personally, I always enjoy their live shows and try and see them every time they come to town.

Unpopular comment #2:  I really like Transatlantic's Shine.  It is a beautifully done and sung song. 
jammindude View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammindude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 21:29
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Have rush done anything worth listening to since moving pictures.....bet they haven't got one track over 7 mins since then - like Genesis - such a sad decline of brilliant musicians !!!

Yes they do actually...on their new *concept album* interestingly enough.   Easily their best album in decades.  If you haven't heard it, you need to.  
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled" -Neil Peart
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 14:24
Hm...two tracks just a tad over seven mins.....I was expecting a couple of tracks @ over 15 mins each perhaps!
Might listen in a while - but I've got more interesting CD's to get though first I think....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 430431432433434 486>