Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 433434435436437 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2015 at 10:32
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Tomas has a new album out!  Link below.  Looks like some of his other releases are available from his shop.  BTW, anyone listened to Barracuda Triangle?

You're a little behind the times my friend Wink  I've had that album since April!  (also, you didn't actually post a link Wink )  It's pretty odd, not sure how I feel about it yet (need to give it more listens).  Definitely the strangest album Tomas has ever done.

Thanks for reminding me about Barracuda Triangle.......I actually haven't heard them yet and don't have the album.  Gotta remedy that as I still try to buy everything FK members release.

Edited by infandous - August 14 2015 at 10:32
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2015 at 21:45
Dang it Infandous, I am behind the times.  My prog credibility is sinking Cry

I am glad that Tomas is making some of his albums available for download.  I don't have them all and really don't need the CDs.  Swedish Family is on there.  I heard that 'new' album is kind of like Cinematograph.

Anyway, I'm on a prog kick.  Of course this thread hasn't been to active now that I'm back in the swing.  I have been warming up to albums I never really liked before.  Space Revolver, for example.  Love I am the Sun and Rumblefishtwist…but damn, the rest of that album is great!  Monster Within is a great mini epic.  I still think Chicken Farmer Song is a goofy title, but still a great tune.

I'm really curious about what's next for Roine.  I know he's touring with Hackett.  Not sure what he'll do.  Is Nad playing with him too?  Kaipa De Capo album would be fun.  

Other than TFK, other prog has not been blowing me away lately.  Still can't warm up to most of Morse.  Don't care for Echolyn's singer and Steven Wilson is just not on my radar.  I'm way behind on Tangent, so that's an avenue.  Also, I'm interesting in digging into italian prog…PFM for starters.  Pretty good, from what I've heard.  Getting past the language will take some time.

Hope you're well man.

PS-I'm also on a Dub/Reggae kick.  Weird, eh?  Wink
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
symphonicman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote symphonicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 19:21
Nad Sylvan is also touring with Steve Hackett. From what I know. It's the same lineup as the Genesis Revisited tour, except that Roine Stolt replaces Nick Beggs.
Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 10:57
Zuma, Echolyn has two lead singers Wink  I know which one you mean, however.  I like both their voices, but I can see how the one (Ray), could grate.......he is a "shouty" singer with a deeper voice.  A shame that you don't like him, as the band is easily the best modern American prog band there is (at least, progressive prog band.........I love Glass Hammer, but they are retro prog through and through and do it really well......Echolyn actually tries to progress musically, and usually succeeds, while still staying focused on melody and songwriting).
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 20:09
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Zuma, Echolyn has two lead singers Wink  I know which one you mean, however.  I like both their voices, but I can see how the one (Ray), could grate.......he is a "shouty" singer with a deeper voice.  A shame that you don't like him, as the band is easily the best modern American prog band there is (at least, progressive prog band.........I love Glass Hammer, but they are retro prog through and through and do it really well......Echolyn actually tries to progress musically, and usually succeeds, while still staying focused on melody and songwriting).

Okay, I revisited Echolyn and I'm gonna give them a serious try.  I'm going to start with their second album, Bloom something.  The stuff I sampled on youtube sounded really good instrumentally.  We'll see.  I've also been listening to that 3rd World Electric album.  I totally forgot about it.  Very fun.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:34

Okay, I revisited Echolyn and I'm gonna give them a serious try.  I'm going to start with their second album, Bloom something.  The stuff I sampled on youtube sounded really good instrumentally.  We'll see.  I've also been listening to that 3rd World Electric album.  I totally forgot about it.  Very fun.

Good to hear!  Suffocating the Bloom was the first one I got by them and I still enjoy it.  The tempos are ridiculously fast, almost to the point that it's a bit too much for me these days, but you gotta respect the musicianship (and the drummer, for keeping up with it all with flair and power).

Thanks for reminding me about 3rd World.......haven't listened to that since it came out.  Gotta break that one out again....
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 13:57

Good to hear!  Suffocating the Bloom was the first one I got by them and I still enjoy it.  The tempos are ridiculously fast, almost to the point that it's a bit too much for me these days, but you gotta respect the musicianship (and the drummer, for keeping up with it all with flair and power).

Thanks for reminding me about 3rd World.......haven't listened to that since it came out.  Gotta break that one out again....
I recently bought Suffocating the Bloom, Mei, and their new one from their CD Baby site.  I had mp3 copies of them, but decided that I wanted physical CDs too.  They are a really good modern prog band.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 15:58
I've known about Echolyn for years…even before I was really into prog.  A friend of mine somehow was in the studio with them when they were recording the album with the shrunken heads.  He said they recorded a cover of GG's No God's A Man.  Not sure if that showed up anywhere.  

Anyway, I tried going digital for a while, but I just love liner notes etc. So I'll be buying the CDs too.  Glad to know they are on CD Baby.

BTW, I recently listened to the live version of Truth from the DVD.  I think I like that version better than the studio.  It is astounding that they pulled that song off live.  There's so many changes!  Not to mention knocking out SDWA and Humanizzimo too!  I know they had some starts and stops, but still.  Incredible.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 13:06

The drummer (Paul Ramsey) doesn't just "keep up" with the tempo, he and the bass player (Tom Hyatt) drive the fast tempos!!  One of the best rhythm sections ever.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 04:09
Now that's a CD I haven't spun for a very long time - Been trying to identify and spin all the CD's in my collection that I've bought and never touched. Mind you not got very far as I'm in the late summer landscape gardening season and also with the start of the football season I have not been listening to any that I've identified - except one - Unitopia - The Garden.....some good parts but not massively a hit on first spin!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 10:57

I've known about Echolyn for years…even before I was really into prog.  A friend of mine somehow was in the studio with them when they were recording the album with the shrunken heads.  He said they recorded a cover of GG's No God's A Man.  Not sure if that showed up anywhere.  

Anyway, I tried going digital for a while, but I just love liner notes etc. So I'll be buying the CDs too.  Glad to know they are on CD Baby.

BTW, I recently listened to the live version of Truth from the DVD.  I think I like that version better than the studio.  It is astounding that they pulled that song off live.  There's so many changes!  Not to mention knocking out SDWA and Humanizzimo too!  I know they had some starts and stops, but still.  Incredible.

Well, they had to completely re-records Hasse's vocals, as he had the flu that day.  Still, I agree it is really great on that DVD.  However, I saw them perform it (truly) live, and it was brilliant.  Also saw the complete SDWA a well, great stuff.  The best thing I ever saw them play though, was Garden Of Dreams, at my first ever FK's show, with Zoltan on drums (Rainmaker tour).  That was possibly the best live performance I've seen ever, by any band.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 10:59
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

The drummer (Paul Ramsey) doesn't just "keep up" with the tempo, he and the bass player (Tom Hyatt) drive the fast tempos!!  One of the best rhythm sections ever.

Well, yeah, that's usually how it works.  I just find the relentless speed on Suffocating to be a bit much for my old ears these days, as impressive as it is.  Still a great album regardless.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 11:01
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Now that's a CD I haven't spun for a very long time - Been trying to identify and spin all the CD's in my collection that I've bought and never touched. Mind you not got very far as I'm in the late summer landscape gardening season and also with the start of the football season I have not been listening to any that I've identified - except one - Unitopia - The Garden.....some good parts but not massively a hit on first spin!

Hey, I finally gave a solid listen to that Lamplighter album you recommended a while back (probably a good while Embarrassed).  Not bad.  The vocals are terrible, but the music is fairly enjoyable.  The lengthy instrumental towards the end of the album is fabulous!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 19:13

Well, they had to completely re-records Hasse's vocals, as he had the flu that day.  Still, I agree it is really great on that DVD.  However, I saw them perform it (truly) live, and it was brilliant.  Also saw the complete SDWA a well, great stuff.  The best thing I ever saw them play though, was Garden Of Dreams, at my first ever FK's show, with Zoltan on drums (Rainmaker tour).  That was possibly the best live performance I've seen ever, by any band.

So they over dubbed the vocals at a later session?  i just thought they did a hundred takes that day.  hell of a setlist.  so cool you heard all of stardust and GoD.  That must have been a killer show.  Wish they would release some of those shows.  Still hoping to see them before they get too old.  if they tour again, i may have to just splurge and fly to wherever they are playing. 

incidentally, been listening to the first two yes albums with peter banks.  such great production and i love hearing chris's bass just right up in the mix.  playing high on the fret board.  banks was definitely more jazzy in places than i remember.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 13:30
Well that's not their best but a good solid effort - I'm not too fussed about the vocals unless they really grate my sensibilities or sing stupid religious lyrics, and Anima Mundi's vocalist is one that I don't mind!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 08:45

So they over dubbed the vocals at a later session?  i just thought they did a hundred takes that day.  hell of a setlist.  so cool you heard all of stardust and GoD.  That must have been a killer show.  Wish they would release some of those shows.  Still hoping to see them before they get too old.  if they tour again, i may have to just splurge and fly to wherever they are playing. 

incidentally, been listening to the first two yes albums with peter banks.  such great production and i love hearing chris's bass just right up in the mix.  playing high on the fret board.  banks was definitely more jazzy in places than i remember.  

Yeah, that was my understanding.  They did do various takes at the performance, but they also did fix up work afterwords, the biggest thing being Hasse's vocals.  That's another reason it's not a true live performance.

As to releasing shows, I have about 20 or 30 that I got back in the days of the Plantation trading group.  Some really great stuff there........I suspect you can get a lot of those shows from other sources though, lie DIME maybe or similar.  Not really sure.

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 03:19
I still only have the one album by Echolyn, Mei.  That surprises me as I think it's a great album, I just don't know why I've not gone on to get any more.  I've seen some rave reviews for the most recent two, what are your recommendations guys?  With yet another birthday upcoming soon I might just place one or two on the list....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 10:02
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I still only have the one album by Echolyn, Mei.  That surprises me as I think it's a great album, I just don't know why I've not gone on to get any more.  I've seen some rave reviews for the most recent two, what are your recommendations guys?  With yet another birthday upcoming soon I might just place one or two on the list....

Mei just might be my least favorite (though I've never heard the debut or Cowboy Poems Free.....have heard a couple tracks from both live though).

I would recommend the self titled ("windowpane") album from 2 years ago.  Probably my favorite.  However, The End Is Beautiful is fabulous, and for their earlier stuff either Suffocating the Bloom or As The World (an incredibly complex album put out by Sony originally..........you have to respect them for making such an incredibly noncommercial album as their major label debut......it would also be there last on a major label, and last album period for quite a few years).  The newest one is good, but I'm not sure it's a good place to dive into them, even with you already owning Mei.  Honestly, I need to give it more listens I think, as most people I know think it's their best.  To me, it isn't, but it is very good.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 16:36
I like Echolyn....
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 04:02
A flower?

Tongue

Edited by DDPascalDD - September 04 2015 at 04:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 433434435436437 486>