Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 437438439440441 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 18:57
I didn't like DT12 when it was the new album. I was not in the right head space for prog, metal, and anything too dramatic. Phish, jazz, and funk is the majority of what I was listening to in the latter half of 2013 into 2014. I think I was also having a quarter-life crisis at the time. Over time, DT12 has grown on me a little. The epic is good, a bit disjointed, but contains one of the most beautiful passages of music I've ever heard (the orchestral section, and it was too much for me to handle back in '13) and there were a couple of other cool tunes, but overall, I found the album flat, and the production is waayyyy too hot. Hard to blast it without clipping from the speakers. I've heard the HD tracks version is a 1000 times better in sound. Overall, DT12 is my least favorite album of theirs besides the debut, which was very disappointing for me when I realized it.

Still digesting The Astonishing, don't want to say too much until I'm more familiar with it.

What's with the code down below? This happened to me once before on this forum:

< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">

Edited by darkshade - February 06 2016 at 18:59
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 22:40
Welcome to the world of digital.....Pretty much everything is way too hot these days. 24 bit mastered to redbook is nasty these past several years. Regarding DT albums, some of the worst mixing around and the vinyl versions are some of my worst sounding, I don't think they do proper mastering for vinyl. Now albums like Awake, SDOIT, TOT are excellent on vinyl.....appropriate volume and good dynamics and mix.

That code shows on all your posts......better call Ghost Busters!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 07:51
Well I listened to the new DT once.  It sounds better than the last two, much more pompous and bombastic, but two cds of DT is a bit tough to get through in one sitting and I've actually been dreading listening to it again if you follow me.  I've decided I'm going to listen one disc at a time, hopefully I can digest it better that way.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 08:27
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Well I listened to the new DT once.  It sounds better than the last two, much more pompous and bombastic, but two cds of DT is a bit tough to get through in one sitting and I've actually been dreading listening to it again if you follow me.  I've decided I'm going to listen one disc at a time, hopefully I can digest it better that way.
My first listen was in one sitting while at work so I was only mildly paying attention but I enjoyed it.  This second sitting I've been listening to it in the car on the ride back and forth to work.  About 15-20 minutes per ride so it is taking a while, but I am listening closer.  I am really liking it.  It is DT, the musical, but I think that it is great that they are doing something different than they have done before.  The storyline is sort of 2112 take 2, but that is alright as well.  I'm still only vaguely paying attention to the story itself.  One of these days I'll sit down with the lyric book open....maybe?  I think that James LaBrie's voice sounds excellent on here.  They are sticking to slower songs than their normal but I've always felt that his voice works best on their slower songs anyways.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 09:27
Why are we talking about Dream Theater on the Flower Kings thread?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 10:08
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Why are we talking about Dream Theater on the Flower Kings thread?

Because TFK are on hiatus......Unless you have some new news to share Tongue
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2016 at 02:56
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

My first listen was in one sitting while at work so I was only mildly paying attention but I enjoyed it.  This second sitting I've been listening to it in the car on the ride back and forth to work.  About 15-20 minutes per ride so it is taking a while, but I am listening closer.  I am really liking it.  It is DT, the musical, but I think that it is great that they are doing something different than they have done before.  The storyline is sort of 2112 take 2, but that is alright as well.  I'm still only vaguely paying attention to the story itself.  One of these days I'll sit down with the lyric book open....maybe?  I think that James LaBrie's voice sounds excellent on here.  They are sticking to slower songs than their normal but I've always felt that his voice works best on their slower songs anyways.

That's the step I've taken too Scott, and I think it's a good idea.  I have a 35-ish minute commute each way, so like you it will take a few days to get through the whole thing but it seems to be working.  I got to the end of track 8 this morning and enjoyed what I heard quite a lot, and much more so than on first listen.  I think I'll stick with this strategy for now.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 12:45
Bump

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 14:45
Last night on the sofa with headphones on my Zune media player, got thru about half. There were some songs that I really liked but prolly need more time with this album, once I finish it.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 15:53
Listened to it last night and Uber - unimpressed - I gave it a one star review I'm afraid - they simply have run out of ideas - simply rehashing all of your old riffs and putting it in a fancy presentation pack with a ludicrous concept with wishy washy sickly sweet lyrics aint going to work either! there are some nice bits - buried into minutes of re-hashed tedium. DT have really gone downhill since Portnoy left. If you are going to do a rock opera you need multiple vocalists - ala Arjessen - who does this sort of thing far-better. and as far of concept album's Nightwish's effort blows this out of the water!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 16:35
^ So how do you really feel about the album?? LOL. My fear is that once I am done listening I will have a similar opinion. Even the last two IMO were void of new ideas, but there were some bright spots.....What is much missing is Myung's bass, his sound is just buried in the mix and all I hear is Rudess with synth bass sounds.

Speaking of Portnoy, who I like very much even though he can be an a$$ on stage to fans, what do you think of his recent comment about getting back together with DT? I actually think he meant he would not mind getting back with them maybe under the LTE moniker.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2016 at 08:12
I think that Portnoy was behind much that was good about DT. when his influence went - I think that a lot of ideas went with him. If he came back it would be good for DT IMO
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2016 at 20:44
I tend to agree. I think he is more talented than Mangini...production and writing wise.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 07:36
After a couple more listens I'm enjoying disc one much more than disc two.  The proliferation of soppy piano ballads towards the end is a bit off-putting.  Still, it seems better than the last album for sure.

I totally agree on Portnoy, he is really missed.  He pretty much was DT.  Whilst Mangini is a fantastic technician he's more formulaic than Portnoy, who I much prefer.  I guess DT's loss is Winery Dogs' gain.  They (The Winery Dogs) are a really good band actually, though not an ounce of prog in them.  I saw them live recently and they truly rocked.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 09:38
Agree, WD are pretty good, saw them in Seattle at a very small bar/lounge 2yrs ago. It was too loud and small though, for some reason my wife likes Portnoy, she likes drummers. Anyhow he is a prick on stage sometimes to fans. The picture of him in my signature she took at the T2 Neal Morse show in Seattle 4-5 yrs ago, Portnoy used it as his FB profile picture for about 3 months. It is probably one of her best concert action shots......she loves taking tons of pics when we go to shows. If you have read some of my concert reviews here the pics I post are her work.
Anyhow at the TA show 3yrs ago Portnoy threw his stick at a guy in the audience for taking pictures of him, in a way I don't blame him the guys was being kinda dumb, too much flash. So Portnoy's drum tech came around the front row and told people no more pics!! My wife does not use flash and she uses manual focus so the little red beam does not shoot either. I thought it was funny, my wife got scared she put the camera away for an hour...She got some nice pics of Roine at this show and I got his autograph on the Kaleidoscope album cover Smile

I really do not care for the album as a whole, it's quite boring to me. I have fully listened only 2x....guess it is just not my cup of tea. I wish DT would have taken Portnoy's suggestion and taken a long break.

Oh well.......when is a new Flower Kings album coming out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 10:45

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 08:55
Well, I have seen nothing about a new FK album, so I suspect the boys are just too busy with other things (particularly Roine).

I know not all of you guys are crazy about Nad Sylvan's voice, but I suspect a lot of you would enjoy his recent solo album, Courting the Widow.

Along with Nad, it features Steve Hackett's entire live band, including Steve.  Roine plays on a track, and Jonas plays a several.  Nick DiVrigilio plays drums on a lot of it as well.

It is in the neo-prog vein but a bit more "retro" than most.  It actually has a strong early 80's Genesis type sound, but with compositions more in the Wind and Wuthering vein.  There is a 23 minute epic with Hackett on lead guitar that is quite enjoyable.

Personally, I think it's pretty darn good, though not great.  It's not really anything like Agents of Mercy, which for some here will be a good thing.  Still, it's got a lot of our favorite players on it and if you have to have everything Roine plays on, you'll want this (though he is only on one track).  I really like Nad's vocals, and here he manages to sound like Gabriel and Collins all at the same time.  Anyway, something to check out if you get the chance that is actually (slightly) FK related.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 10:06
Unfortunately, I've never been able to get used to Nad's voice and that's what's keeping me from enjoying his albums. To me, he always sounds like he's got a bubble in his throat, never producing a clear vowel.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 16:50
@Infandous

Sorry for late reply...

Good points about Floyd.  It is just interesting they got any audience at all playing Eugene and Saucerful.  Re-watched Pompei for the millionth time.  So good!

I listened to the first part of the new DT.  James does sound quite good.  And the drumming is tight.  They just go overboard.  Will check that thread over at the other prog site.

Incidentally, I really like the Nad Sylvan CD.  Not the bombastic mess I expected.  The production is great for the most part.  The cover is ridiculous.  Nad is not ironic at all.

And lastly, I'm listening to Stardust right now.  Great!!

Edited by zumacraig - February 20 2016 at 17:03
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 17:13
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Hi guys.  Hope all is well with everybody.

It's a tough thread...I check it often and we are still on the same page from mid December Cry. Some of you have a better line on the band this thread is dedicated to, safe to say they are on an unofficial, unannounced hiatus?

Anyhow, I have been listening to Bodin I AM and You Are....great stuff. Anyone have opinions of his new one?

As far as new DT...oooofah! I listened to the first 5 songs, then I started to drift off and eventually it became background music, still have not listened all the way thru. I cannot imagine there are any positive, glowing reviews.....Seems like it is a super-long updated version of Rush~2112.

The new Bodin is just him, so nothing like the two albums you mention.  It's more along the lines of Cinematorgraph but MUCH MUCH weirder.  I've only listened to it a couple of times and haven't really felt like trying it again.  It's very strange music, but certainly not bad.  Maybe it was my disappointment about it not being the final part of the trilogy (I AM, You Are.........I can't remember what he said the 3rd one would be called, "we all" or something?).  Also, on Facebook back when he released this new one, he made a comment that seemed to suggest he wasn't really interested in finishing the trilogy anymore.  I hope that's not the case, as those two albums are my favorite things he has ever done (aside from Garden Of Dreams, of course).

I'm going to pick up the new DT.  The story seems ridiculous, the lyrics I've seen are embarrassing, but I guess that is to be expected since Petrucci wrote them.  Still, it has that whole Ayeron vibe to it so I figure I should check it out.  The couple tracks I've heard, LaBrie sounds very good on (and usually he's my least favorite aspect of DT).  It's also pretty cheap for a double CD.

I missed the last DT album.  I've heard it wasn't bad.  What do you guys think?

I didn't get the last DT album either.  All I heard was the single.  I really liked the one before that and saw them live.  I really thought they were going to become my band.  Alas, it was not to be.  I do think Count of Tuscany is a top tier prog song and they do a hell of a version of Zebra's Take Your Fingers From My Hair.

The thing about those dudes, besides LaBrie, is that they are too damn good.  I think creativity takes a back seat when the artist is that talented.  I think of all the great guitarists out there like Satriani and Vai.  Are any one of their albums memorable?  Not to me.  They are killer players though.  And fun to see live.  Very rarely does creativity and superior virtuosity come together (Eddie Van Halen?).

If DT could come up with 2-3 licks/hooks and write variations and keep the album to 3-5 songs, they might be more palatable.  IMHO of course!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 437438439440441 486>