Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 445446447448449 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 08:21
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I made a decision  to cut back on new CD's purchasing. Thus I only have two new ones at xmas (I decided to get more popular science books instead). Has music (like televisual arts) reached the saturation point? Prog bands are surely going to just keep on re-hashing stuff that has already been done? I have about 500 CD's that I have listened to once and about a 100 that I have never spun! 2017 - should be my year of catching up. But when I relax and put the prog-lighting on, get the head-phones out - I then select a CD - and I nearly always end up selecting a known - goody. I have about 500 CD's in this set I reckon....and thus the rest are just sat there.....waiting........

I'm right there with you, although I don't buy CDs anyways, but have been really diving into my collection almost the past 8 months. Maybe have bought 20 rekkids but I have spun them all, I think for me its just I don't see much volume of music coming that I have much interest in, new that is. It really is starting to sound all the same, just rehashed with a different band name. Many bands I am just going to their back catalog and reliving what I fell in love with on some........for example Dream Theater, I am finding anything past SDoIT is just now mehh, and the new album is a gigantic flop for me.
I am excited to see what Haken comes up with next, also Riverside now going to a trio format wonder what they do next.....And of course waiting patiently for something new from TFK.

Family kept asking me for a rekkid list for Christmas, I really could not come up with one that I was excited about, so I told them to save their money I'm good, "buy me socks" I said Smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:10
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

The Jon Anderson / Stolt collaboration is very poor - who agrees?
The new Marillion seems to be stirring up a few with it's lyrical content. I have about five or six marillon CD's that I have spun once and then shelved.....wonder If I should buy the new one? it might also be shelved without a listen if bought now!

My tip is - if you don't like the other Hogarth-era Marillion albums you've heard then don't bother with their new one - save your money LOL.  Have a try listening to Ocean Cloud by Marillion on youtube, from the Marbles album.  If you don't like that then Hogarth era Marillion are a lost cause for you as that's the best 18 minutes of music they have ever made, full stop.

I actually like FEAR a lot, although I don't think it's as good as their previous two.  They really were outstanding.  You can count me totally in the pro-Hogarth camp, by the way.  The Fish era albums were ok-ish, although poorly produced and I find them virtually unlistenable these days.  Their best stuff from that era was put out before they even signed a record deal. 

Incidentally while I was in Vegas recently a cabbie mentioned Fish had a 4 night residence at the MGM Grand.  Hmm, seems a bit surprising I thought.  Turns out, it was actually Phish LOL.
Hmm, my copy of Marbles isn't a double CD, and it hasn't got Ocean Cloud on it ?? I'm listening on UTube and I think that it is VERY Steve Wilson/Floydy.....so I can see why you would like it Roj!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:12
Hmmmm the ambient bit as well......Not bad but best thing they ever did? Isn't taste a strange thing!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:19
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I made a decision  to cut back on new CD's purchasing. Thus I only have two new ones at xmas (I decided to get more popular science books instead). Has music (like televisual arts) reached the saturation point? Prog bands are surely going to just keep on re-hashing stuff that has already been done? I have about 500 CD's that I have listened to once and about a 100 that I have never spun! 2017 - should be my year of catching up. But when I relax and put the prog-lighting on, get the head-phones out - I then select a CD - and I nearly always end up selecting a known - goody. I have about 500 CD's in this set I reckon....and thus the rest are just sat there.....waiting........

I'm right there with you, although I don't buy CDs anyways, but have been really diving into my collection almost the past 8 months. Maybe have bought 20 rekkids but I have spun them all, I think for me its just I don't see much volume of music coming that I have much interest in, new that is. It really is starting to sound all the same, just rehashed with a different band name. Many bands I am just going to their back catalog and reliving what I fell in love with on some........for example Dream Theater, I am finding anything past SDoIT is just now mehh, and the new album is a gigantic flop for me.
I am excited to see what Haken comes up with next, also Riverside now going to a trio format wonder what they do next.....And of course waiting patiently for something new from TFK.

Family kept asking me for a rekkid list for Christmas, I really could not come up with one that I was excited about, so I told them to save their money I'm good, "buy me socks" I said Smile
Probably our age?? haha - I listened to Tales From Topographic Oceans one late xmas night - Most modern stuff comes nowhere near such brilliance, then after I heard that Lake had died , I played Pictures at an Exhibition, Tarkus and KE9 - again none of it bettered in the forty or so years it has been around!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 12:50
^ Ha!! Maybe our age, but I doubt it, more our discerning taste in music. 

I have the SW remix of Aqualung (on black wax of course) and had not read the included 24-page LP sized booklet. I took that book upstairs during Christmas one night and read thru it, it is filled with such great info not only on the remix process but the making of the album.
Then went downstairs and played the album with such an insight that there were times I was totally stunned at what Anderson had accomplished with that recording. I have always been in awe of that album but now I for sure listen with a different mind set.
Speaking of Greg Lake, I pulled out ELP-Works Vol I and also just sat back and listened to each side with joy, especially Greg's contribution. I had not spun that compilation in close to a year, it was a lot of fun.....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 07:00
I only have the one Jethro Tull CD and I bet you can guess which one!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 08:23

I only have the one Jethro Tull CD and I bet you can guess which one!

This one?

Jethro Tull The Christmas Album.jpg

Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:46
haha! No - Thick as a Brick.....
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 22:16
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

The new Marillion seems to be stirring up a few with it's lyrical content. I have about five or six marillon CD's that I have spun once and then shelved.....wonder If I should buy the new one? it might also be shelved without a listen if bought now!

Totally disagree, I absolutely love the Anderson / Stolt and think it's fantastic.  I like it better than the last two Flower Kings albums and it's the best thing I've heard from Anderson since at least the Keys albums, maybe even earlier that those.  That said, it's certainly not anywhere near as good as the best works by either of them, so there's that (those last two FK albums are the only ones I would say I like a bit less than IOK).

I have no interest in Marillion.  I tried their sampler CD back around the time of Marbles (had a couple tracks from that album on it, then one or two from the previous 5 or 6 albums), and just couldn't keep my attention on it long enough to decide if it was good or not.  Which is a bad sign, so I never tried again.
hmmm must`ve a little time out buying Vinyl`s/Cd`s myself weird M27Barney you don't like Anderson/Stolt album it blows my away. it also took me ages to get into Hogarth era Marillion but if you give the time you`ll see what you maybe missing!Wink
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 04:39
^ Hmmm, I didn't think that Flower Power was all that good on the first spin, but that was probably because I listened during an insane bout of CD buying (I was purchasing 20-30 CD's at a time). But I loved "Stardust we are" on first spin. Historically though, it took me 2-3 years to "get" Yes and probably 3-4 years to "get" ELP. So I may have to be patient with the Anderson/Stolt and hope that it's a slow-burner. I have just purchased the third Samurai of Prog CD's (only one to get). So I will listen to that and the A/S to see if I can re-kindle the later-prog love that seems to have waned in me. I will certainly find that I will "get" quite a lot of the single spin CD's and wonder how I missed such profound music on the first listen! Having said that - I still return back to the golden era of Prog (1970 - 1975) for the music that seems to be without a shadow of doubt - unequalled since!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 06:17
Just finished reading the CD notes for  "Invention of Knowledge" , I see that Anderson hasn't changed - giving a mention of "Audrey Kitagawa" - I had to google her - "Light & Awareness" website - fook me I would have thought that such a clearly intelligent man as Anderson wouldn't be taken in by such woo-woo merchants!
I reckon too much acid in the sixties has addled his brain and thus his  inability to spot complete horsesh*t that is masquerading as "Profound" knowledge.....ho hum
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 13:59
Barney.......gotta love your comments!  LOL

I get what you guys are saying about new prog..........I do happen to think there are quite a few things that equal and maybe even surpass the 70's "greats".  Flower Kings have a couple albums I put in that category.  That said, there is a ton of crap in the prog genre these days, so you have to listen first and find what speaks to you.  Which is unfortunate for me because I don't like to listen first.  However, with newer bands, I do, so I don't get burned.

I think there is still good stuff being made, but you either have to leave your comfort zone (which I do sometimes) or REALLY like the symph prog approach.  I've gone in and out of loving that approach, but overall still enjoy it.

I will say that the 3 albums I just bought with the Amazon gift card I got for Christmas are all from the 70's;  King Crimson Great Deceiver Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, and Frank Zappa "Little Dots" (just released but recordings from 1972 (the "petite Wazoo" period, which is his mostly instrumental jazz fusion period).  I was going to also get Jon Anderson's first solo album, since I seem to not own that one, but I couldn't find a new copy (only used ones in questionable condition).

For the past couple years I've mostly been listening to my somewhat large CD collection (probably 500-600 albums) while buying maybe 6 - 8 albums a year.  Mostly new, but some old stuff, like this latest order.  I actually still like or love the majority of it so far.  Some things I had forgotten how MUCH I like them.  My collection is probably less than half stuff produced before 1980, and I'm impressed at how good much of it is.

Edited by infandous - January 13 2017 at 14:01
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 14:03
Oh yeah, I should add that Tomas Bodin assured us on the Flower Kings Yahoo group that The Flower Kings are definitely NOT done.........just busy with other things right now.  Particularly Roine with the Kaipa Di Capo and a new album with Jon(!).  So just another hiatus to irritate us die hards Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 14:42

Oh yeah, I should add that Tomas Bodin assured us on the Flower Kings Yahoo group that The Flower Kings are definitely NOT done.........just busy with other things right now.  Particularly Roine with the Kaipa Di Capo and a new album with Jon(!).  So just another hiatus to irritate us die hards Wink

Arrrrrrg! Angry
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 17:26

I would say it is more bland than poor.  It's like easy listening new age stuff that never gets exciting.  What a shame, too, cause I was really looking forward to it, and then was completely let down. 

"What are you looking at, butthead?"
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 05:38
Well, I spun "The Imperial Hotel" - and I must say that it was very good from the start! I think that this is solid prog - the second track "Limoncello" was absolutely brilliant and the Epic was also very good!! Then I spun "Invention of Knowledge" for a second time and I must say that it did make more of an impression on me this time - I think that they have tried to catch a bit of Tales from topographic's vibe (I detected some bits and pieces of that masterpiece in the new CD). Mind you, I think that it has a long way to go before it gets into the TFTO ratings!!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 06:11

I get what you guys are saying about new prog..........I do happen to think there are quite a few things that equal and maybe even surpass the 70's "greats".  Flower Kings have a couple albums I put in that category.  That said, there is a ton of crap in the prog genre these days, so you have to listen first and find what speaks to you.  Which is unfortunate for me because I don't like to listen first.  However, with newer bands, I do, so I don't get burned.

I think there is still good stuff being made, but you either have to leave your comfort zone (which I do sometimes) or REALLY like the symph prog approach.  I've gone in and out of loving that approach, but overall still enjoy it.

I will say that the 3 albums I just bought with the Amazon gift card I got for Christmas are all from the 70's;  King Crimson Great Deceiver Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, and Frank Zappa "Little Dots" (just released but recordings from 1972 (the "petite Wazoo" period, which is his mostly instrumental jazz fusion period).  I was going to also get Jon Anderson's first solo album, since I seem to not own that one, but I couldn't find a new copy (only used ones in questionable condition).

For the past couple years I've mostly been listening to my somewhat large CD collection (probably 500-600 albums) while buying maybe 6 - 8 albums a year.  Mostly new, but some old stuff, like this latest order.  I actually still like or love the majority of it so far.  Some things I had forgotten how MUCH I like them.  My collection is probably less than half stuff produced before 1980, and I'm impressed at how good much of it is.
I do think that some recent prog has got to within 90% of c (where c is the invariant rating of CTTE,TFTO,SEBTP and FT) however I do not think that ANY prog after 1975 can get closer than that! and it's impossible to exceed c - the prog rating is the equivalence of c in E = Mc2 and CANNOT be exceeded!!

Edited by M27Barney - January 16 2017 at 06:12
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 10:03

I do think that some recent prog has got to within 90% of c (where c is the invariant rating of CTTE,TFTO,SEBTP and FT) however I do not think that ANY prog after 1975 can get closer than that! and it's impossible to exceed c - the prog rating is the equivalence of c in E = Mc2 and CANNOT be exceeded!!
doing your mathematical to rate the prog albums after `75 I`ll end up with a Ouch and Confused so I`ll LOL because most of the newer prog imho isn't 30% let alone 90% but there has been a few album which  equal the golden era of progressive rock albums...Big smile
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 04:45
This site is VERY quiet at the moment? Why?
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 10:30
There are plenty of great modern Prog records out there. The Flower Kings put out a bunch, Transatlantic is amazing, and The Neal Morse Band's most recent, The Similitude Of A Dream, is 10/10.

Opeth, The Tangent, Riverside, Steven Wilson, Pain Of Salvation, Karmakanic, Knifeworld. It's a great time to be a fan of this music. As good as the Golden Era? Maybe not but what is? Seriously. Nothing tops those classic Prog albums. Nothing ever will. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 445446447448449 486>