Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 448449450451452 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 14:26
I only have 6 of their albums (4 vinyls, 2 cd's) and I could happily live with Stardust We Are. This, my friends, is something special.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 12:47
Well then, quiet on here.
I have just ordered the new Hackett and Morse any more obscure gems I should be getting? (Symphonic Prog?) - Oh I have all the FK's (and most of the linked stuff) so what else is there?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 11:52
There IS another Anderson/Stolt album.  Last I heard from Stolt (on the yahoo mail group), it's in the works and is due out later in the summer.

Stolt has not said the Flower Kings are done, but has said to don't get your hopes up in the next year or two.  He seems to have the same attitude about as Steven Wilson does about PTree.......he's really into other projects and not feeling TFK's at the moment.  Sounds like other key members (Bodin, Froberg) feel the same.  Though Bodin suggested he'd love for them to do a "comeback" in the next 5 years, playing all the big epics of their career.  Can't say I'd mind that Smile

I think though, we have to accept the fact that they are probably done, for the most part.  I agree that Desolation Rose isn't the best way to go out, though I do enjoy the album more than A&E (and I also like the bonus CD more than the main album).  I'm still not crazy about Banks for that matter, though I've come to realize that it's really just the epic, Numbers, that doesn't do anything for me.  The other tracks on the album are high quality FK material.  It just makes it harder to enjoy when the "big epic" doesn't do much for me.

I once again highly recommend the Kaipa da Capo album.......great stuff that I enjoy more each time I hear it.  It does have echoes of the classic FK stuff, as well as the classic Kaipa stuff.

I usually listen to TFK's every summer, as they are just that kind of summery band for me, and I don't want to get totally sick of them after listening to them for close to 20 years.  I find that I still lean heavily towards the Stolt Flower King album through Space Revolver period, but I do love Unfold and Sum of no Evil is in my top 5 favorite FK albums.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 11:54
Oh yeah, for those that like vinyl, Stolt says he just finished remixing one of their "classic fan favorite" double albums for vinyl release.  He wouldn't say which one, but I'd have to guess either Stardust or Flower Power.  I don't have a turntable, though I'd love to hear a remixed Flower Power, as it was the only of their albums that I felt could benefit from a better mix (CD's will be included in the package I guess).

Edited by infandous - May 18 2017 at 11:56
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 15:06
Someone say "vinyl"??!!! It has to be Flower Power as Stardust was issued as 3-LP set couple yrs ago.......Could be Space Revolver, Flower Power would need to be 3-LP set I think.....

IDC, I'm buying.......
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 04:26
Hey, guys! Have you heard the demo version of My Cruel World? It has that Roine/Humanizzimo quality. I've discovered it recently and I think it's much better than the Transatlantic version.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 10:28
Ok, here for my monthly visit. 

There has been no definitive statement regarding TFK ending. I keep up with interviews and news bits. In fact, Stolt has said they are 'on ice' which is what he said during the pre-BoE hiatus. I'm optimistic as I thought Banks was great. They may have hit the studio too fast with DR. 

As far as side projects go, I really like HFMC. Some great AOR/Prog stuff. The band members are excellent and the songs are very compelling. I think a new one is on the way. Hasse probably had all these ideas for years while he played Roine's stuff.

Still love AoE (except Vampire's View...sorry Infandoius!) And Rainmaker is probably my favorite album of theirs. Last Minute being my favorite TFK song. That chorus!!

Still do not have the new Kaipa album or Anderson/Stolt. I'm in the mood for them now. If there is new A/S album this summer I'll be so surprised. Anderson must be on a kick! Ironically, it's his Stolt stuff that seems to be more exciting than his version of Yes.

Now, what about the 'all star' project Stolt has mention? Dudes from Beardfish were mentioned. Maybe Hackett and Anderson too? 

What is Bodin doing?

I want to get the first Nad album. He's got another one on the way!

Peace...and to my USA friends, hang tight. To my European friends, please try not to laugh at us!  :-) 
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 11:51
The good thing is there is laughter to be had all over the world...there is no discrimination!
LOL
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 07:43
Flower Kings Playlist:

Flower Power
Stardust We Are
The Rainmaker
Meet The Flower Kings Playing There Epics
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 09:23
Jon says on Facebook that work has begun on a new Anderson/Stolt.

Thank you, Jesus!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 09:30
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Thank you, Jesus!!!

I do enjoy the first one, I still look at it as a quasi TFK album Smile
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 12:06
Yeah, I love the Anderson/Stolt, though I can readily admit it's not as good as any of their best work.  Doesn't matter,  as it's so much more in my wheelhouse than the last two Flower Kings albums, and certainly any Yes album since Drama (or possibly Magnification......though for some reason the over wordiness of that album has always bothered me, while the similar over wordiness of Invention of Knowledge does not).

It's MILES better than TFK Adam & Eve album zumacraig......so you'll probably hate it WinkLOL
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 12:08
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Someone say "vinyl"??!!! It has to be Flower Power as Stardust was issued as 3-LP set couple yrs ago.......Could be Space Revolver, Flower Power would need to be 3-LP set I think.....

IDC, I'm buying.......

Well, he specified it was a double, so not Space Revolver (he was saying the original release was a double CD).  It could actually be Unfold, though I don't know why that would need remastered as it still sounds fabulous.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 05:15
The Anderson/Stolt is still not grabbing me though it may be a very slow-burner.
I have 10 new CD's to run my shell-like over. Hackett's new CD is a stonker - absolutely packed with mesmeric guitar breaks that showcase the very best in stringsmanship! The Mexican prog band Cast - Power & Outcome CD is sort of ELP meets metal shredding all played at death-speed !!!

Edited by M27Barney - May 25 2017 at 05:16
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 10:24
A/S took me prolly 3-4 spins before I started really enjoying it.....And now I really enjoy it. I have not been into Hackett at all, I heard the new one and immediately thought it was the soundtrack for a new Lord Of the Rings movie or some other in the woods movie.
I love him in Genesis but the solo stuff leaves me----quite frankly bored to tears.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 10:33
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Thank you, Jesus!!!

Yeah so I don'tsee how anyone can think TFK are still active when obviously he's busy with other things. It's like the people who think PT are still around. I hate to say it but I think sometimes a reality check is in order. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 05:19
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

A/S took me prolly 3-4 spins before I started really enjoying it.....And now I really enjoy it. I have not been into Hackett at all, I heard the new one and immediately thought it was the soundtrack for a new Lord Of the Rings movie or some other in the woods movie.
I love him in Genesis but the solo stuff leaves me----quite frankly bored to tears.
Hackett has produced some brilliant solo stuff, Voyage of the Acolyte, Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings, Defector - all far better than genesis did after 1977!!!
The last two albums - have showcased his position as one of the finest guitarists who has ever picked up the instrument. I find satriani/Vai have some excellent stuff but on the whole they don't have the same feeling that Stolt/Hackett seem to exude - even when shredding!!!
I have not heard many old genesis fans say that they are bored to tears with Hacketts solo stuff - also some of Hacketts classical guitar work is particularly stunning!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 09:59
^ I should have said the "last two albums"......I enjoy the early stuff, Acolyte and SM. Clearly he is one of the greats within the progressive rock genre. I much prefer his Genesis material if I am asked to pick.
I am also in the same boat with regards to Uli Jon Roth, I LOVE what he did with Scorpions, but on his own it just took a different life and vibe that for the most part did nothing for me.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 18:29
The Flower Power album still means a hell of a lot to me, god I love it! 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 07:23
the better album would be to have a new TFK... I mean Jon is an iconic musicians but its well a need for me to have a new TFK album... 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 448449450451452 486>