Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 451452453454455 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Richey Edwards View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richey Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 09:13
BITWOA, Space Revolver and Unfold The Future all listened to and loved. Where should I go next?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 10:15
^ to the garden of dreams.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richey Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 10:19
So you recommend Flower Power next?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 21:21
Originally posted by Richey Edwards Richey Edwards wrote:

BITWOA, Space Revolver and Unfold The Future all listened to and loved. Where should I go next?

I haven't heard any of their early albums in a long time so I won't suggest those but I'm sure others will. I think the Sum of No Evil is great and so is Banks of Eden so maybe those two. Unfold the Future is a great double album. I would stay away from Rainmaker, the latest one(desolation rose)and Paradox Hotel at least for now. I remember flower power being really good for a double but haven't heard it in a long time. I suppose you could "sample" many of these on youtube.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 27 2017 at 21:21
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richey Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 11:38
I listened to disc one of Flower Power on Spotify last night in my bed. Really enjoyed the epic track. I bought Retropolis today so will listen to that tonight.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richey Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 16:13
Really enjoying Retropolis. I love discovering new bands. So much music to listen to, and The Flower Kings have quite the back catalogue. They have quite a few double albums to immerse myself in for a couple of hours at a time.
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 00:36
I'd try Banks of Eden next, if I were you. Man I'm so jealous of you right now. Discovering TFK was sooo much fun! So much beauty, such virtuosity and the passion... A very special Band with very special members.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 11:46
My usual advice is to just get them all, you won't be disappointed.

That said, the ones I find less essential (but still worth having and listening to) are Banks, Adam&Eve and to some extent Rainmaker.

Honestly though, even those are pretty good and better than a lot of bands best albums.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 11:50
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I haven't heard any of their early albums in a long time so I won't suggest those but I'm sure others will. I think the Sum of No Evil is great and so is Banks of Eden so maybe those two. Unfold the Future is a great double album. I would stay away from Rainmaker, the latest one(desolation rose)and Paradox Hotel at least for now. I remember flower power being really good for a double but haven't heard it in a long time. I suppose you could "sample" many of these on youtube.

Yes Sum Of No Evil is a top 5 FK album for me, one of their absolute best!  Not a big fan of Banks as followers of this thread are aware........always feels like something is missing and the big epic seems awfully repetitious to my ears.  Not a lot of good ideas stretched out for far too long (though a great guitar solo does happen, so that's one positive).

Paradox Hotel is a great album, though I've never been sold on the epic on that one either......just seems too soft and meandering to my ears and has never done anything for me.  The rest of that double album though, is right up their with their best work, IMO.

I agree with you about the rest though.

Edited by infandous - September 29 2017 at 11:51
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richey Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 17:17
I'll most likely end up buying all of their albums regardless.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richey Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 09:13
I am listening to Stardust We Are right now, for the first time.
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 17:56
Hi, been off a few years and am recently rediscovering my love for prog. Did a King Crimson marathon earlier and am now on Transatlantic so thought I'd stop by one of my old favorite threads. Can anyone update me on what the latest Roine Stolt related projects have been? I always loved his various projects. Thanks, good to be back!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 20:46
I know very little of Stolt and the Flower Kings, but I really loved his recent "Kaipa do Capo" album.
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 01:38
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I know very little of Stolt and the Flower Kings, but I really loved his recent "Kaipa do Capo" album.

They're releasing a live CD on October 20. Incase you didn't know. Should be good :) Loved that Album as well.

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 09:27
Yeah. The "live in Stockholm" will definitely be all nice and stuff but I'm disappointed there's no Se Var Morgon Gry, Ankaret or Oceaner Föder Liv. They said they were gonna play stuff from the three 70s Decca records but for some reason nothing from the eponymous debut (which to me is the best Kaipa album) is in the tracklist. It is a shame.
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 11:03
still it's a nicely filled 70 + minute record full of great stuff. the Lalle Solo is going to be amazing I'm sure (saw them in germany a few days prior to this recording and it was mind-blowing...). But yeah, i'm missing some of my favorites, too... :(
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 20:54
Originally posted by Zappy Zappy wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

They're releasing a live CD on October 20. Incase you didn't know. Should be good :) Loved that Album as well.

That's great... I actually was hoping (and hoping to expect) a live album to be released. I do like their 70's stuff, but I felt it was missing something... more energy, more experience. By the time of SOLO they seem to have been finding it, and with the Do Capo album even more so... so I'm hoping the songs played live now, with this line-up might sound great.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 09:43
Here's hoping Roine is allowed more freedom with Anderson/Stolt 2.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2017 at 22:24

There ya go.  The later albums aren't as good in general, although Paradox Hotel and Banks of Eden are both tremendous.   

For me, albums like The Sum of No Evil, Desolation Rose and The Rainmaker are good to have since they have their moments, but it's pretty clear that they do not touch their best albums. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2017 at 23:10
Originally posted by Biff Tannen Biff Tannen wrote:

There ya go.  The later albums aren't as good in general, although Paradox Hotel and Banks of Eden are both tremendous.   

For me, albums like The Sum of No Evil, Desolation Rose and The Rainmaker are good to have since they have their moments, but it's pretty clear that they do not touch their best albums. 

I truly can't second that. DR and TSONE are amongst the best of their catalogue in my book...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 451452453454455 486>