Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 452453454455456 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dbeckton89 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dbeckton89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 08:43
I always thought The Rainmaker was vastly underrated.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 22:13
I actually enjoy quite a bit of The Rainmaker, but it just doesn't stack up to most of their other albums.  The only record I can say it is better than is The Sum of No Evil, which, to me, is easily their least best album to date.  It's a shame, too, because it sounds awesome (love that deep bass and the sound of Zoltan's drums); the songwriting just wasn't up to par. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 09:09
I feel kinda the same, however to me personally the first segment (first 4 minutes) of Love is the Only Answer is one of the best TFK compositions ever. The mood changes are simply incredible IMO. Especially the "So the craziness" portion. It takes you by surprise, cause out of the blue, while your mind is being sugared up by all that ear-candy jazz, it hits your eardrums with its pounding drums, screamish vocals and muted "metal" guitar. Roine's a freaking genius.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 14:21
I have The Sum Of No Evil ranked as my #2 Flower Kings albums. Go figure!!!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 12:05
Originally posted by Zappy Zappy wrote:

Originally posted by Biff Tannen Biff Tannen wrote:

Originally posted by Richey Edwards Richey Edwards wrote:

I'll most likely end up buying all of their albums regardless.

There ya go.  The later albums aren't as good in general, although Paradox Hotel and Banks of Eden are both tremendous.   

For me, albums like The Sum of No Evil, Desolation Rose and The Rainmaker are good to have since they have their moments, but it's pretty clear that they do not touch their best albums. 

I truly can't second that. DR and TSONE are amongst the best of their catalogue in my book...

Gotta chime in here.  TSONE is probably my second or third favorite FK album, and I'm really not that fond of Banks (mostly it's the epic I find just seems plodding and doesn't hold my interest......the other songs are good to great though).  TSONE, for me, is some of the best writing and performing I've ever heard from Roine and the boys, a truly great album, IMO.  To me, it's almost a perfect FK album.

Desolation Rose is decent, but the "bonus" CD is better than the main album.  The Rainmaker was a disappointment to me when it first came out, but now I think it's pretty good, and has two absolute classic FK tunes on it.

Edited by infandous - November 17 2017 at 12:10
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 12:08
Originally posted by dbeckton89 dbeckton89 wrote:

As I said in my previous comment, I think the problem for those of us who've followed them since the beginning (or nearly so, in my case), was that it just seemed very weak compared to what came before and even more so to  the album right after it, Unfold.

However, over the years I've come to really enjoy The Rainmaker and I think there is some top quality material on there.  Still wouldn't rate it all that high on my ranking of FK albums, but I actually like ALL of them to different extents.  Rainmaker doesn't fall into the "love" category for me though, but it's still very good.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 01:17
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by dbeckton89 dbeckton89 wrote:

As I said in my previous comment, I think the problem for those of us who've followed them since the beginning (or nearly so, in my case), was that it just seemed very weak compared to what came before and even more so to  the album right after it, Unfold.

However, over the years I've come to really enjoy The Rainmaker and I think there is some top quality material on there.  Still wouldn't rate it all that high on my ranking of FK albums, but I actually like ALL of them to different extents.  Rainmaker doesn't fall into the "love" category for me though, but it's still very good.

both valid points but on a purely personnel note I totally love it equally to the before and after albums  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 08:36
How about the new Unfold The Future?
Can't stop listening to the remixed "The Truth Will Set You Free." So good. Completely different from the 2002 version. And it's so nice to have this on vinyl. Hopefully Flower Power will be next!!!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 04:22
hmmm only time will tell
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 06:46
TFK have another vinyl release ???   Count me in !!!
Happy New Year everyone [<:o)]
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 13:14
For the FK fans.....what is their best album overall and what is your favorite single track....?

Thanks.....:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 08:13
First post of the new year in this thread,  :O   My journey through the alphabet has brought me to a Flower King's marathon.  One of my favorite bands to have a marathon with!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 08:28
FAVORITE LP:

Space Revolver

FAVORITE TRACK:

Love Supreme
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 08:46
FAVORITE LP:

Back In The World Of Adventures

FAVORITE TRACK:

World Of Adventures

But they have so many good albums and good tracks!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:58
Favorite Album: Adam&Eve
Favorite Track(s): Love Supreme, Astral dog
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 11:22
Right now it's like this (I'm sure my picks are gonna change sooner or later)
----
FAVE LP:
Can't pick between Desolation Rose and Flower Power
FAVE TRACKS (no order):
Tower One, Stardust We Are, Humanizzimo (technically not TFK but I guess it sorta counts), first 20 minutes of Garden of Dreams + Final Deal, Love is the Only Answer
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 06:29
Hello all - Hows yer all a diddlin?
Not listened to any FK's for a while now - currently i'm digging Nightwish - their last two releases ARE AWESOME!
May wait for the good weather - I think that FK's is best played in summertime - or is that just me?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 14:14
^ From Nightwish I really loved Imaginaerum... it is actually my favourite album from them, but the last one sounded somewhat lacking in ideas (even though I much prefer Floor as a singer than Anette).
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 20:57
I am probably in the minority in thinking The Sum of No Evil is their best album, but really the differences in quality are not huge across albums. Unfold the Future is excellent, so are Space Revolver, Flower Power, Desolation Rose....

I still have to get into the Nightwish discography (lots of interest, but no time...)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 21:55
^ The compilation album I know from Nightwish is "Highest Hopes"... it was the one I got to know them with, and still I think it's got mostly all of the best songs with Tarja on vocals, which would be their most classic era, so I would say that's perhaps the best place to start... and it might even be all you need, if you don't really want to go all the way getting to know everything they released. On the other hand, my favourite album has become "Imaginaerum", though that one is with the next singer, Anette. For me there's just something very special about that one that they hadn't achieved before, but that's not necessarily a popular opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 452453454455456 486>