Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 454455456457458 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 05:28
Talking about binge buying - I only had 1 "The Tangent" CD - I bought the other 8 in the space of two days. These CD's will be part of my birthday present! I will buy that new one , hope it isn't too poppy!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 07:59
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Talking about binge buying - I only had 1 "The Tangent" CD - I bought the other 8 in the space of two days. These CD's will be part of my birthday present! I will buy that new one , hope it isn't too poppy!

I think you'll be very pleased!!! The Tangent have NEVER released a sub-par record in my opinion.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 12:08

What new one?? Tangent has new album?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 05:06
No that ocean thingummy thing
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 05:11
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I think you'll be very pleased!!! The Tangent have NEVER released a sub-par record in my opinion.
Aye - The one I have (The World which we drive through) - was a CD I bought in a batch about 10 years ago and never listened to - then I spun it and WHAM - so I looked at the discography and bought the other eight!
A sneak preview of one that arrived before my wife could hide it - had a story about how Andy Tillison had just bought TFTO.....the way he described the experience took me back to when I used to buy gatefold albums!
Looks like I'm in for a treat.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 08:37

Aye - The one I have (The World which we drive through) - was a CD I bought in a batch about 10 years ago and never listened to - then I spun it and WHAM - so I looked at the discography and bought the other eight!
A sneak preview of one that arrived before my wife could hide it - had a story about how Andy Tillison had just bought TFTO.....the way he described the experience took me back to when I used to buy gatefold albums!
Looks like I'm in for a treat.
The World That We Drive Through is my least favorite LP from The Tangent AND I STILL LOVE IT.
You are in for some good times!!! The first one (The Music That Died Alone) and the third one (A Place In The Queue) are my favorites but they're all great!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 10:07

No that ocean thingummy thing

Ahhh......was hoping it was something "new". I'm not enthused about anything coming out this year.......Long live the reissues!!!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2018 at 07:37
Here's hoping The Sea Within will save 2018.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2018 at 09:51

Here's hoping The Sea Within will save 2018.

Here, here.........I suppose my problem with new music these days is nothing is progressive, it's pretty much all alternative rock, what I call it.
I was hoping that the album by Daniel Cavanagh was going to be different and more prog rock oriented.....but its a depressing bag of dark moody melancholic blahhh.

I'm really starting to detest that style...enough is enough, there is no joy in listening to that kind of music.

LOLDead
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2018 at 11:52
I'm looking forwards to the revealing science of the tangent. I listened to stardust we are track and I am the sun both parts. Prog at its finest me thinks.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2018 at 03:13
According to this query, there are only 20 albums released this year so far, and I haven't listened to any of them.
Guess I'm also the kind of guy that sticks with old music, although last year brought me Karfagen, Gungfly and Wobbler, wich is far from depressing and far from alternative rock.

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&syears=2018&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=43&y=11#list

Edited by Kingsnake - April 20 2018 at 03:14
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 10:49
Well, I'll be getting The Sea Within for sure, though not really thinking I'll bother pre-ordering it (I can always get it cheaper if I just wait until my prog dealer gets copies).  I am very interested in it, and also the next Anderson/Stolt album, which I guess will be late this year or early next year.

As to other topics, never cared for Nightwish.  LOVE the Tangent.  Went to see them perform live, merged with Karmakanic (tour was billed as Tangekanic) back in October.  Amazing show with great performances.  They recorded it for a live album, which I pre-ordered before the tour started, and got my name on the cover.  The Live album is well worth having, though I find myself missing the stuff that didn't make the cut (they made it a single to keep expenses down........as far as I know they didn't make any money from the tour, hopefully broke even).

Edited by infandous - April 23 2018 at 10:50
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 10:53

The World That We Drive Through is my least favorite LP from The Tangent AND I STILL LOVE IT.
You are in for some good times!!! The first one (The Music That Died Alone) and the third one (A Place In The Queue) are my favorites but they're all great!!!

Queue is my personal all time favorite from them.  I would probably put Le Sacre Du Travail as my second favorite, but they are all really good.  World that We Drive Through is one of my least favorite, though I think for me Not As Good As The Book is probably the one I like the least (and both of those are still good, IMO).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 13:47
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

According to this query, there are only 20 albums released this year so far, and I haven't listened to any of them.
Guess I'm also the kind of guy that sticks with old music, although last year brought me Karfagen, Gungfly and Wobbler, wich is far from depressing and far from alternative rock.

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=&syears=2018&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=43&y=11#list

Have not heard any of them either.....funny how all of it is listed as Crossover.....All prog is Crossover in my book. LOL
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 14:53

I'm looking forwards to the revealing science of the tangent. I listened to stardust we are track and I am the sun both parts. Prog at its finest me thinks.
You are not alone.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 01:06
Who still gets a thrill when taking the cling film wrapping off a new prog CD? Like a child opening a present.

Edited by M27Barney - April 26 2018 at 01:07
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 04:54
The last time I bought a cd was maybe 10 years ago, maybe longer.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 10:59
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

The last time I bought a cd was maybe 10 years ago, maybe longer.

Longer for me.......Only CDs I get now are the ones included in vinyl sets. I get massive wood when removing the wrapper from a record album Clap
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 13:48
I get more of a intellectual buzz than a sexual one. I haven't bought any vinyl for a long time. The hiss n crackle plus the inevitable scratch would put me off. Not convinced about the luddites assertion that vinyl is warmer etc. I Think that is just confirmation bias!
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 14:28
Glad to see you're getting into The Tangent, M27Barney! They're a fantastic band!

Back to The Flower Kings: I'm really starting to dig Space Revolver now. A King's Prayer has my favourite Roine guitar solo so far. It's incredibly powerful! And I'm getting my head around the two parts of I Am the Sun, getting over the minor disappointment of the "Now...I am the sun" chorus not appearing anywhere else after its initial two appearances near the beginning of part 1.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 454455456457458 486>