Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 457458459460461 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 11:43
I love spock's beard me....V is awesome!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 16:06
I own 7 SB albums on vinyl.......
The Light
V (NM signed)
Snow (Clear vinyl)
Beware of Darkness (Clear vinyl)
Day for Night
Kindness of Strangers
Brief Nocturnes

Agree, V is awesome but I really enjoy The Light.....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 07:59
My favorite SB is also "V".  Just a perfect album, IMO.

As to TFK, I think most here are aware that I'm not fond of Monsters & Men, probably one of my least favorite FK tunes, let alone epics.  However, the rest of the Paradox Hotel album is great.  It seems to have more variety than most of their albums.

My favorites change, but I still think of the first one I ever heard, Retropolis, as my favorite.  I generally prefer their sound and style before Unfold, but think unfold is their crowning musical achievement, just an amazing album.  I also think Sum of no Evil is near the top of their best albums, love that one and always have.

The most recent two are probably my least favorite (after A&E, of course), but still not bad.  Banks has my second least favorite epic on it though (but, like Paradox, I actually really like the rest of the songs on Banks).  I like DR a bit better than Banks, but generally these days if I reach for TFK's I pick something from the albums before A&E (which is still my least favorite......though again, they all have good stuff on them and I like them all to some extent).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 09:36
Monsters and men has the most monumental solo by Stolt. Only closely matched by g.o.d and all of the above? I can't understand why anybody could not appreciate the pinnacle of a guitarists output?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 09:38
Bit like thinking firth of fifth is sh*t coz you like "Me and Sarah Jane" 😎

Edited by M27Barney - May 18 2018 at 09:38
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 11:03
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Bit like thinking firth of fifth is sh*t coz you like "Me and Sarah Jane" 😎

No, it's nothing like that (and I love Frith of Fifth).  See, I agree with you about G.O.D. solos and All Of The Above.  Just not M&M.  Sorry, just the way it is.  Of course, Roine's lead on that song is great, like most of his leads, but the song is dull as ditch water to me, so it's hard to really appreciate it.  My opinion is fact, so just deal with it Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 11:34
Haha. I'm just surprised as I don't hear m&m as a marmite track. Consensus would have that its in the top 10 tracks by fks. You have it in the bottom 10. Mind you I know a bloke who likes his wife to sh*t on him. So let's agree to differ on this. 😂
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 23:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Who is Tom?
A nobody, a troll........I wouldn’t bother with him

If you say so. Tongue
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 10:43

Haha. I'm just surprised as I don't hear m&m as a marmite track. Consensus would have that its in the top 10 tracks by fks. You have it in the bottom 10. Mind you I know a bloke who likes his wife to sh*t on him. So let's agree to differ on this. 😂

"Monsters & Men" is a great track on a so-so album.
"Love Supreme" is another one. Perhaps my favorite TFK's song but Adam & Eve isn't their best.

("The Truth Will Set You Free" is their ultimate tune but folks who think Unfold The Future was their zenith are wrong. That was obviously The Sum Of No Evil!!!)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 10:57
As long as Love Supreme is, I never get lost and I never get tired of the time it takes to get thru it. There are many 15-20+ min songs that after 10 min I am like ...."ok lets finish this, I'm bored..."

Never Love Supreme...also Love Is the Only Answer
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 17:18
Love is the Only Answer is one of my favorites. But still... Humanizzimo to me is most definitely Roine's most emotional and best written epic. The arrangement and orchestration in that song is top notch too. Also, the way he used that recurring tron flute theme during the climax is just mind blowingly amazing. Holy heck. Other Roine suites that I like are Tonerna (KDC, and even though Roine didn't write it, his arragement of it made it REALLY sparkle), Stardust We Are (TFK) and Oceaner Föder Liv (Kaipa). I like the 10 minute version of Love Supreme from Instant Delivery but to me the full version is kinda boring-ish. I really don't know why. Overly sweet perhaps? Monsters and Men - well... Hasse Fröberg's high register vocals on the "River of Time" section spoil the fun of it for me. I also think that Hasse's vocals on SWA part 3 don't quite work either. Way too belted.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 08:31
As I'm sure we are all aware of by now, tastes differ, even among fans of the same band.  I actually am surprised at how much FK fans DO agree on.  I agree that Love Is The Only Answer is one of their best epics, and I can even agree that the album it's on could be considered their peak, since I find the two albums that followed it to be two of their weakest (though still good, of course).

As I've probably said here numerous times, I like ALL of TFK albums, it's just a matter of degrees.  For me the top albums are mostly before Unfold (with the exception of TSONE), and their "lesser" albums are A&E (really don't like Love Supreme much at all, but other tracks on that album I do like), Rainmaker, and the most recent two.  Others may not agree, which is fine since it's all subjective anyway.

I think since I got on board right before Flower Power was released, that that has a lot to do with why I prefer that era of the band (90's).  I still think Unfold is their greatest musical achievement, even if it's not my number one favorite.  I've found something to enjoy on ever FK album though, and to me that is the sign of a truly great band. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 09:46
I agree, at least for my tastes and preferences, I too like all of TFK........Same as I like all of Genesis and Rush, but certain albums and epics differ.
I can easily start with album 1 and go to the last one released and listen and have a smile on my face by the end.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 12:18
With Rush it's all cds up to and including moving pictures. With Genesis it's Trespass to wind and wuthering. The Fks have truly awesome tracks but these are usually one or two per release. I think they do have a lot of filler tracks. But monsters and men is not one of those.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 05:54
I like Rush quite a bit straight though Hold Your Fire, but otherwise, I agree with you Rob more or less.  I actually feel there is very little, if any, filler tracks on FK albums.  I personally love all those little atmospheric tracks Roine put on the early albums, and miss them on the stuff since Unfold.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 06:50
I suppose I may be harshly judging the fk tracks based on the brilliance of the best tracks. I'm still not fond of any of his nazi based tracks tho...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 02:42
I would like to mention just one title - and those who love TFK will (should) understand what I'm getting at ; Rising The Imperial.............just.............Rising The Imperial.........
‘ nuff said.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 14:30
Some three months on, I'm still trying to take all of Kingdom of Colours on board, so to speak. So far, my favourite of the new-to-me stuff (basically everything bar Stardust We Are, which I had already) is Garden of Dreams, Painter, I Am the Sun and A King's Prayer.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 12:11
I'm having a second epiphany with "The Tangent" so far the cd's I have listened to have been REALLY good!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 14:15

I'm having a second epiphany with "The Tangent" so far the cd's I have listened to have been REALLY good!

Every LP from The Tangent is fabulous.
Not quite as cool as TFK's but damned close!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 457458459460461 486>