Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 458459460461462 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 14:15
And how do we feel about The Sea Within?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 16:04
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

And how do we feel about The Sea Within?

Releasing on 22/June......Ordered the vinyl version.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 10:52
I got the beards new CD. But not the sea within yet.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 11:01
Yeah, Got Sea Within on pre-order as well.  Haven't heard a SB album since Feel Euphoria (though have heard a couple tracks from each, on the "best of" album they released a little while ago, which I just got for the live footage with Morse and the new epic written by Morse.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 07:05
Wonder how many copies the sea within will sell? Will it see sales beyond 50k ?
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 23:06
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Wonder how many copies the sea within will sell? Will it see sales beyond 50k ?

Not even in the realm of that number...at least if we're talking physical sales.

Edited by Zappy - June 03 2018 at 23:07
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 07:48
So how many then. I have often wondered how rare some of the cd's I have in my collection are?
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 13:36
I think in the Prog world, 10-15K is awesome!!!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 11:07
Physical sales in general are dying a slow death.  Vinyl has had a bit of a resurgence in the past 10 years, but it's still small compared to what vinyl sales were even in the 1990's.  Most modern mainstream bands would be lucky to get 50K physical sales for an album, let alone a prog band.  Of course, if you add in digital sales and streaming, those numbers can go up quite a lot (though not for a prog band, usually).  A lot of my prog buddies are fully digital now, and only buy CD's if there is no download option (and are not interested in vinyl at all).

My almost 17 year old son and his friends combined don't own a single physical album between them.  In fact, I don't think any of them have ever paid for music at all (despite my trying to impress on my son how important it is that musicians be paid for their work......but music isn't a big part of his life either, like it always has been for me.....even if he did pay for it he'd just pay to download specific tracks).

Sad for us old physical product fetishists , but simply the way things have been going for years now.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 11:20
I love unwrapping a new CD. I love reading the little booklet. I suppose it is a fetish. How sad that physical ownership of music may disappear in future times. Mind you machines will replace humans shortly. That's inevitable.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 13:07
It would not surprise me one bit if the initial press order for vinyl of TSW was about 3,000 LPs and maybe 10,000 CD pressings.
Most vinyl pressing plants require a 500pc min order, will do less but then cost jumps.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 06:33
I thought northern Europe was packed with prog fans. Prog bands play to thousands in Germany and Holland surely a few hundred thousand are going to buy just in those two countries alone?
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 06:05
Just seen this on Facebook

InsideOutMusic, celebrate their 25th anniversary of being a label in 2018, in what will be one of their biggest and busiest yet. To coincide with this, two of their longest serving artists, Spock's Beard & Roine Stolt's The Flower Kings, will head out on a European co-headline tour in Winter 2018.

You can find the full list of dates below:
30th November – Cosmopolite, Oslo, Norway
1st December – Kulturhuset Studion, Stockholm, Sweden
2nd December – KB, Malmo, Sweden
4th December – Zeche, Bochum, Germany
5th December – Z7, Pratteln, Switzerland
6th December – La Machine, Paris, France
7th December – De Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Netherlands
8th December – Hedon, Zwolle, Netherlands
9th December – Islington Assembly Hall, London, UK
10th December – Academy Club, Manchester, UK

Spock’s Beard comment: "Spock's Beard is excited to announce an upcoming Winter tour! It will be a co-bill with Roine Stolt's THE FLOWER KING’s revisited band, so each show promises to be a great evening of music. We've been getting a lot of questions about who will be playing drums on this tour, so at this time let me introduce our new touring drummer, Mr. Mike Thorne, from SAGA! We are really excited to have him on board and are looking forward to seeing you on tour."

Roine Stolt adds: "Asked to put together a band to go on the road, celebrate our label Inside Out's 25 year anniversary - I was thinking of the 'treasure' that is the music I wrote for The Flower Kings during that same period. I felt compelled to bring out this music for yet another round – and in the process bring in some old friends and some new.
The music is universal - some songs timeless - and by November I hope to have an exciting set-list - to not only celebrate my 1st album and the origin of all things "The Flower King" - but to cover the rest of TFK's history - and eventually a new tune & a few new faces. Tune up the engine - Time to prog!”

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 06:43
Wow!  I had to go look that up because I hadn't heard anything about that.  I do notice that it's called "Roine Stolt's, The Flower Kings Revisited", so I'm thinking it might not be the actual Flower Kings band (though I can't imagine he'd do it without Tomas and Jonas, at least).  Anyway, I suspect there will be no US tour of this, but still, good to see that Roine at least feels it's worth the effort to put something together for this and mentions a new song (FK song, I assume)!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 12:12
Last date in the republik of mancunia. Acemans!

Edited by M27Barney - June 13 2018 at 12:15
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 12:49
So I posted that InsideOutMusic 25th anniversary notice over on the old Flower King Yahoo mail group, and it turns out that Tomas Bodin knew nothing about it at all.  Not a word to him from Roine.  He seemed quite unhappy about not at least being notified this was happening.  So it would appear he will not be part of the "Roine Stolt's THE FLOWER KING’s revisited band".  This seems odd to me, though perhaps there will be an explanation from Roine at some point.

Still, I don't see how it could The Flower Kings without Tomas (though based on what it's being called, I guess it's really not The Flower Kings, but "Roine Stolt's THE FLOWER KING’s revisited band").
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 15:29
I read some comments on-line that Tomas was no longer able to perform live as a result of an ear injury.  I have no idea if this was an alternative fact or not.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 06:50
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I read some comments on-line that Tomas was no longer able to perform live as a result of an ear injury.  I have no idea if this was an alternative fact or not.

Tomas himself actually posted about that a while back on Facebook.  However, his reaction to this "Flower Kings" tour seems to indicate that he is upset at not being asked or informed about this tour at all.  He never mentioned not being able to perform live.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 12:00
Roj has booked our tickets. Good pre winter solstice gig to look forward to.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 17:31
I never like to hear when a "band" tours without the other "regular band mates". Generally never a good sign, I have never seen TFK live and was hoping they would come to the US soon. I've seen Roine with Transatlantic, would love to see the whole group.
Hoping to have my copy of TSW by month end.......really looking forward to that album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 458459460461462 486>