Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 463464465466467 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 21:28
^ Are you serious? The sky must be about to fall down. Or perhaps it's a case like Genesis, were you consider them to be at their best doing pop instead of prog?
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 06:56
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

And of course..you have all the other cds that Stolt is involved with loads of new stuff for you to listen too...keep you happy till winter solstice...

Now on to Kaipa; including post Stolt.

How do you pronounce their name?
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 09:01
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 09:03
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

And of course..you have all the other cds that Stolt is involved with loads of new stuff for you to listen too...keep you happy till winter solstice...

Now on to Kaipa; including post Stolt.

How do you pronounce their name?

I think it's KAY-PA but who knows, it's Swedish!!!
AND I LOVE THEM. (Especially after Stolt left...)
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 13:48
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hell man.. I completely enjoyed that last SWilson album so there you go...  

Heh, I can't stand that album, though the rest of his solo work I love.  To each his own I guess.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 13:53
I have listened to TSW several more times.  It's good, but still not something I feel like I really want to keep pulling out.  I WANT to like it, because it's Roine (not to mention the other great musicians on it), but it's just not doing a lot for me.  Great musicianship, of course, and the production is very good.  The songs though, I'm just not feeling it.  I enjoy it well enough when it's on, but nothing at all really sticks with me.  I do love Daniel's vocals, and the other guy is not bad, but on the whole I find it decidedly underwhelming.

Very much looking forward to Manifesto Of An Alchemist.  Though it's not a full on Flower Kings album, I suspect it will be one in all but name.  Well, it's "Roine Stolt's, The Flower King", so I guess kind of a follow up to his first solo album.........though it has Hasse and Jonas on it, as well as Felix (and a few other drummers), so it's pretty much a new Flower Kings album.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 13:54
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Roine Stolt, known as the guitarist, singer, writer and at times band leader of the groups The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, AGENTS OF MERCY, Kaipa DC, as well as from his work with prog icon Jon Anderson and the new super-group The Sea Within, is releasing a new album on the 23rd November 2018. Under the moniker ROINE STOLT’S THE FLOWER KING, ’Manifesto Of An Alchemist’ offers 10 songs and almost 70 minutes of playing time celebrating the style Roine is most revered for: progressive rock, richly orchestrated with all the trademark elements from four decades of the genre.

Roine comments: “Unlike many later albums, where recordings have continued over months, this new album has been a fairly quick and effective affair - we started tracking in Holland at the beginning of July and mix was done by mid-August! The songs are written in a very ‘unorthodox’ way - some melodic content and some riffs are ideas that have been circulating for years - some may even be from before the first TFK album - they just hadn’t found a home in any of the bands/albums I did in the last 15 years yet.”

‘Manifesto Of An Alchemist’ is a celebration of all the styles that have been part of the colourful, daring and dynamic songwriting and arrangements that Roine masters like no other, yet also offers a more immediate, more hands on approach. “Like that first TFK album, I’m the main lead vocalist here again - it works as these lyrics are important to me and resonate with my view of the world. A lot of the guitar work is actually my spontaneous ‘demo’ guitars” and that goes for much of the synth work, too. I didn’t want to ‘process’ ideas too much as there is much power in the initial creation - I wanted to keep it that way.”

The album features a host of other musicians, including long-time collaborators Jonas Reingold, Hasse Froberg & Michael Stolt, as well as fellow The Sea Within member Marco Minnemann, Max Lorentz, Zach Kamins, Rob Townsend & Nad Sylvan.

‘Manifesto Of An Alchemist’ features stunning artwork from Shaun Beyond (https://www.instagram.com/shaunbeyond/), and will arrive as a limited edition CD digipak, Gatefold 180g 2LP + CD & as digital download. You can find the full track-listing below:
1. Rainsong
2. Lost America
3. Ze Pawns
4. High Road
5. Rio Grande
6. Next To A Hurricane
7. The Alchemist
8. Baby Angels
9. Six Thirty Wake-Up
10. The Spell Of Money

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 14:05
^ I should probably order that album......I can't omit the thought that this is so close to TSW release date, will they sound the same.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 08:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ I should probably order that album......I can't omit the thought that this is so close to TSW release date, will they sound the same.

I doubt it (though of course it's possible).  He mentions that there is quite old material worked into that he never used before, so hopefully this really IS a follow up to the original The Flower King album.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 08:23
Oooh I think I've just come...
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 08:30
I've been completely out of the loop. Still haven't got the Anderson/Stolt album. Now I'm back in with this news of a new Stolt album!! Sometimes it all just comes together...the season, my mood, the material, the artwork. That's happening now. Pre-ordering this!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:39
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I doubt it (though of course it's possible).  He mentions that there is quite old material worked into that he never used before, so hopefully this really IS a follow up to the original The Flower King album.

That would be good.......
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 13:35
Shouldn't Manifesto of an Alchemist be listed as a Roine Stolt solo album on the website?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 10:44
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Shouldn't Manifesto of an Alchemist be listed as a Roine Stolt solo album on the website?

I was wondering this as well. Guess if Hasse and Jonas are there it's The Flower Kings.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 03:02
I'm calling it now...Bodin will form a "second" Flower Kings, and we'll have ourselves another Yes "which is the real band?" situation here.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 11:06
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I'm calling it now...Bodin will form a "second" Flower Kings, and we'll have ourselves another Yes "which is the real band?" situation here.

That actually is not possible, since Stolt has always owned the name, the catalog, the publishing, everything.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 11:08
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I was wondering this as well. Guess if Hasse and Jonas are there it's The Flower Kings.

Well, as Stolt keeps pointing out, it's actually NOT The Flower Kings, though confusion is understandable.  I think Roine is trying very hard to keep people from thinking this is "The Flower Kings" as opposed to "Roine Stolt's 'The Flower King'".  InsideOut, however, is obviously wanting this to be billed as "The Flower Kings".
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 07:43
I don't know the other players on this tour. I can see Roine kind of taking on the moniker of The Flower King project or something. I hope Lalle Larson is on this a bit. He's the natural replacement for Tomas. 

BTW-Anyone know if the new box has re-mixed or remastered cds?

Edited by zumacraig - September 28 2018 at 07:44
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 08:58

If you mean this website(PA)I agree.
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 16:08
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I don't know the other players on this tour. I can see Roine kind of taking on the moniker of The Flower King project or something. I hope Lalle Larson is on this a bit. He's the natural replacement for Tomas. 

BTW-Anyone know if the new box has re-mixed or remastered cds?

Do you mean the Kingdom of colors Box sets? If so then yes, the first box has the remixed version of unfold the future on it. Very much worth it as well Imo. Interesting remixes, shows exactly how Roine's taste has changed over the years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 463464465466467 486>