Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 464465466467468 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 16:27
Lost America is okay, I guess. It didn't tug my heartstrings all that much. I think the track needs to grow on me. It's cool to hear Roine on lead vox again thou.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 08:28
Love the new song. Lost America. After that dreadful The Sea Within it's like a breath of fresh air.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 13:47
I don't consider TSW dreadful......but I do concede most of the new material these days is rather boring. An argument can be made that the artistic fire is gone. I doubt we experience anything close to early TFK music again.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 11:44
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't consider TSW dreadful......but I do concede most of the new material these days is rather boring. An argument can be made that the artistic fire is gone. I doubt we experience anything close to early TFK music again.

While I agree generally, TSW has grown on me considerably.  I think especially the long track is very reminiscent of the last two TFK albums (which I were not my favorites, as everyone here knows).  I think it's good music, played excellently, but it certainly doesn't have the same spark as TFK did from the Stolt FK solo album up through Unfold (even though I love TSONE as much as most of those albums, it doesn't quite have that spark).  Not sure what I mean by "spark", but I just know it when I hear it.  Kind of like how Yes lost the "spark" that they had from the Yes album through Going For The One (though I think it was diminishing even on that album).

I haven't listened to the new song.  I pre-ordered the album and am just going to wait until I hear the whole thing in one go, like I always do with FK related stuff.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 13:51
Aye. TSW didn't grab me on first spin like I hope it would. Do I play it until I make myself like it? Is that possible?
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 08:52
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Aye. TSW didn't grab me on first spin like I hope it would. Do I play it until I make myself like it? Is that possible?

I tried that with TSW. Didn't work. Still mediocre to me. But I will keep trying. It took me about 20 listens to "get" Topographic Oceans so who knows!!!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 09:03
^ Only twenty?

Took me a full decade!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 05:57
Yes were the hardest band to get into of the symphonic prog bands. I suddenly got the music about 1985....properly so that would be 12 years for TFTO
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 09:02
I was 12 and hooked on YES. The Yes Album, Fragile and CTTE had my heart but Tales did nothing for me. I was totally committed to learning to love it. Only took a week or two...

It's now (and has been ever since) my favorite album. 

Edited by miamiscot - October 19 2018 at 09:03
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 03:03
I remember buying the vinyl version of tfto in the early eighties. It was definately the last of the classic yes albums that I got into. But as Andy Tillison says in the CD notes for the third tangemt release, tfto took an awful lot of stick...It is definately Yes's best recording by a long way...brilliant from start to finish...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 09:08

I remember buying the vinyl version of tfto in the early eighties. It was definately the last of the classic yes albums that I got into. But as Andy Tillison says in the CD notes for the third tangemt release, tfto took an awful lot of stick...It is definately Yes's best recording by a long way...brilliant from start to finish...

Indeed.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 13:25

Took me a few listens, but only about 3 or 4, and I decided it was the best album I'd ever heard.  Not sure that is true anymore, but it is probably my favorite Yes album still (don't ever really listen to Yes anymore though).

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 13:27
I noticed in an email from Burning Shed about all their latest stuff, that they refer to Hasse as a "guest singer" on the new Roine album.  Hadn't seen that before, interesting.  I guess this really isn't supposed to be TFK album at all then.  On the other hand, on Facebook, Roine "introduced" the keys player and drummer as the new drummer and keyboard player of The Flower Kings.  So it's all pretty confusing at this point.
Hotel Security View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotel Security Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 08:39
Only album of theirs I have is Unfold the Future. They prog about as hard as anyone can prog. Any recommendations of other stuff to get into?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 04:33
What treats lie awaiting you. Buy in chronological order starting with the first....all brilliant...

Edited by M27Barney - November 15 2018 at 04:34
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 04:40

What treats lie awaiting you. Buy in chronological order starting with the first....all brilliant...

For sure - and don't overlook the "Live" from 2003, excellent as epics compilation

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 09:06
Stardust We Are
Space Revolver
Sum Of No Evil
Banks Of Eden

You're in for an amazing journey!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:45
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I noticed in an email from Burning Shed about all their latest stuff, that they refer to Hasse as a "guest singer" on the new Roine album.  Hadn't seen that before, interesting.  I guess this really isn't supposed to be TFK album at all then.  On the other hand, on Facebook, Roine "introduced" the keys player and drummer as the new drummer and keyboard player of The Flower Kings.  So it's all pretty confusing at this point.

yes, still confusing............Not sure where this band is going right now.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 02:18
I've just listened to the new Roine album on Spotify. Sounds beautiful. Even Baby Angels. Definitely gonna buy it!
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 00:19
Anybody else snapped up Roine's new disc yet? Definitely proves to be very good, and there's tons on it that FK fans will dig! There's three proper instrumental pieces on it that are particularly lovely too, so lots to enjoy! Not every track is completely memorable, but at the same time there's really not a truly weak moment on the whole thing either
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 464465466467468 486>