Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 465466467468469 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 00:56
I have it in my house...but its a solstice present so I have to wait til Dec 25th...
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 01:30
Oh no! Nothing worse than a wait!

To be honest, I probably hadn't exactly planned on jumping on it the day it came out, but by complete surprise I saw it on the shelf of a local Australian music chain store, and really, the times a real-deal prog album ends up in stock in an Aussie store is virtually NEVER, let alone first day! Guess that says a lot about InsideOut's distribution. So I was pretty excited at the prospect of picking up a prog album right away as opposed to waiting weeks after ordering it from overseas!

Actually, they also had the new Tangent album too!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 28 2018 at 01:33
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 02:08
^ JB Michael ?? I don’t believe it......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 02:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ JB Michael ?? I don’t believe it......

Exactly, mate....and freaking day of release for both...the metal guy nearly fell over when he saw me head straight for the Stolt album and snap it off the shelf! He even told me that they were meant to have got the latest Gosta Berlings Saga disc too...was just stunned to hear someone down here mention that band by name, let alone that the store was going to be getting copies of it!

Hope you're well, mate, and check your messages in here, I sent you one about an Anglagard LP about a week ago!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 02:29
I did get it, replied, but I got that ‘members without authorisation’ warning so I sent an e-mail instead. Don’t know why that happens.....?
O.K. - I tried again, it went through, just to make a dummy out of me

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 28 2018 at 02:34
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 03:05
All good, man, wasn't of critical importance...just discussing our retirement fund based around that rare album!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 03:35
^ Hybris is worth more.......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 14:36
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Oh no! Nothing worse than a wait!

To be honest, I probably hadn't exactly planned on jumping on it the day it came out, but by complete surprise I saw it on the shelf of a local Australian music chain store, and really, the times a real-deal prog album ends up in stock in an Aussie store is virtually NEVER, let alone first day! Guess that says a lot about InsideOut's distribution. So I was pretty excited at the prospect of picking up a prog album right away as opposed to waiting weeks after ordering it from overseas!

Actually, they also had the new Tangent album too!

That is cool! My local record store is getting more into new releases, some prog but hardly, starting out with having more Porcupine Tree and even Anathema. I am seeing more Marillion too in a Seattle store, they had all the current box sets from Marillion....and I am talking about vinyl.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 07:34
I pre-ordered Roine's album from his store on his web site as soon as I heard about it.  Listened a couple of times now.  I enjoy it, though it's not really up to the level of TFK albums for me.  Though I still need to give it more time.  So far, I like the first half a lot better than the second half, and the tracks that stand out the most for me are The High Road and Rio Grande.  I'll give it more listens.  It really IS a solo album though, as Roine plays most of the instruments (even drums on one track, bass on three tracks) and all the songs are 100% written by him.  It's what I expected though, a kind of follow up to the original The Flower King solo album.  I'll have to give it more spins, but I'm happy with it more or less already (seems to lack any fire, but Roine is in his mid-60's, so I guess that's understandable).

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 13:03
I am getting the new tangent at solstice too... some of the cds I want will set me back hundreds of pounds tho...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 13:18
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I pre-ordered Roine's album from his store on his web site as soon as I heard about it.  Listened a couple of times now.  I enjoy it, though it's not really up to the level of TFK albums for me.  Though I still need to give it more time.  So far, I like the first half a lot better than the second half, and the tracks that stand out the most for me are The High Road and Rio Grande.  I'll give it more listens.  It really IS a solo album though, as Roine plays most of the instruments (even drums on one track, bass on three tracks) and all the songs are 100% written by him.  It's what I expected though, a kind of follow up to the original The Flower King solo album.  I'll have to give it more spins, but I'm happy with it more or less already (seems to lack any fire, but Roine is in his mid-60's, so I guess that's understandable).

Thanks for the review........I've listened a few times online and just not hitting me too well, not enough to spend the money for the vinyl version. I've seen some reviews on YT and not many like it much, for your last reason...."lacks fire".
It seems its just an ok recording.......
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 08:44
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Thanks for the review........I've listened a few times online and just not hitting me too well, not enough to spend the money for the vinyl version. I've seen some reviews on YT and not many like it much, for your last reason...."lacks fire".
It seems its just an ok recording.......

Well, I think ti's more than just "ok".  However, it's certainly not the best thing I've ever heard from Roine, but I will say after another listen that I like it considerably more than the last two TFK albums (which were also good, just not great, IMO).
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 09:42
The new Stolt album is great. Not up to the level of any album by TFK's IMO. But really good.
Now Proxy is another matter. It's perfect!!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 10:50
Me and Roj about to watch spocks beard and The new flower kings...im in a good english pub quaffing warm bitter ale geting in the mood...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 08:38
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Me and Roj about to watch spocks beard and The new flower kings...im in a good english pub quaffing warm bitter ale geting in the mood...

So jealous!!! I hate living in the US!!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 09:05
The kings were brilliant. Stardst we are...another bucket list item ticked off..
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 12:25

The kings were brilliant. Stardst we are...another bucket list item ticked off..

I hate you....punks!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 11:09

Yeah, back in 2003 I got to see the complete Stardust we Are performed, as well as complete versions of Garden of Dreams (well, almost complete) and The Truth Will Set You Free Smile

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 11:11

Yeah, back in 2003 I got to see the complete Stardust we Are performed, as well as complete versions of Garden of Dreams (well, almost complete) and The Truth Will Set You Free Smile

(of course, the band I saw was ACTUALLY the Flower Kings....i.e. the people who performed on the albums Wink)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2018 at 12:29

....aaaaaand you are also on my hate list....Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 465466467468469 486>