Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 467468469470471 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 02:05
Yes. Stardust we are...sublime.If you don't like the title track then you really wont like much by them...
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 06:50
Ok, I'll chime in on SW

Insurgentes - Yes a bit grungy and industrial but count me in - includes one of his best ever tracks (Twilight)
GFD - stunning.  Very close to his best.
Raven - His best by a very small margin
HCE - Very good in parts but clearly a drop from the last 2
TTB - Some good stuff but his weakest so far for sure
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 12:03
Not heard the first 2...not in my collection. You missed 4.5 roj...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 12:28
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Ok, I'll chime in on SW

Insurgentes - Yes a bit grungy and industrial but count me in - includes one of his best ever tracks (Twilight)

I concur. The "drops" are just a reflection of him trying different grounds and the prog world reacting to the pop side.
Again, interesting to see what he does over the next couple albums. He has been playing more Porcupine Tree at his shows. The PT songs on TTB tour were in response to the re-release of Deadwing on vinyl that us record folk have been clamoring for, as well as a re-release of In Absentia.

4-1/2 is a more proggy effort of songs, it's a quick listen and I spin it often. I really love him as a mixing engineer, the bass/low end is amazing on all his records. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 12:33
Originally posted by Oganesson Oganesson wrote:

I'm looking to get into the Flower Kings. Anyone have recommendations for a first-time listener?

I agree, Stardust We Are. If that album does not resonate with you then not much else prolly will. My fav is Adam & Eve, not the most admired of their later efforts but the musicianship for me is stellar on that album. Also the last album to feature Zoltan on drums Cry.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 19:54
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Ok, I'll chime in on SW

I concur. The "drops" are just a reflection of him trying different grounds and the prog world reacting to the pop side.
Again, interesting to see what he does over the next couple albums. He has been playing more Porcupine Tree at his shows. The PT songs on TTB tour were in response to the re-release of Deadwing on vinyl that us record folk have been clamoring for, as well as a re-release of In Absentia.

4-1/2 is a more proggy effort of songs, it's a quick listen and I spin it often. I really love him as a mixing engineer, the bass/low end is amazing on all his records. 

Perhaps now is the right time for Porcupine Tree to come back at last
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 09:02

I'm looking to get into the Flower Kings. Anyone have recommendations for a first-time listener?

SPACE REVOLVER
Midori View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 07:34
I've also been trying to jump into TFK, and have gotten through only Retropolis at this point. So Stardust We Are and Space Revolver are good building blocks from there?

Edited by Midori - February 01 2019 at 09:22
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by Midori Midori wrote:

I've also been trying to jump into TFK, and have gotten through only Retropolis at this point. So Stardust We Are and Space Revolver are good building blocks from there?

Absolutely!!! Those should be your next two!!!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 12:43

I agree, Stardust We Are. If that album does not resonate with you then not much else prolly will. My fav is Adam & Eve, not the most admired of their later efforts but the musicianship for me is stellar on that album. Also the last album to feature Zoltan on drums Cry.

Wrong.  The last album to feature Zoltan on drums was The Sum Of No Evil.  Which is also, not coincidentally, their best album after Unfold by far WinkSmile  That said, I don't really find any of their albums "bad" or even "not good".  I just don't really get a lot out of Adam & Eve, though I agree with you about the musicianship and I do love a couple of the tunes (not the epics though........first FK album where the epics weren't my favorite track(s)).

Edited by infandous - February 05 2019 at 12:45
cadiyatsi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
spammy iPad seller aka spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadiyatsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 04:08
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

It really depends on what you're into. If you like a jazzier sound, I suggest "Unfold the Future." Otherwise "Space Revolver" or "Paradox Hotel" are excellent places to start your Flower Kings journey.
I'm well aware that TFK don't get as much love on PA as I think they deserve, but gosh darndit, I love 'em. I'll always think I've listened to them too much, but then a song of theirs will come up while I have my music library on shuffle. I always follow this up with another song of theirs that I feel is a good addendum to the first one, then I'll go through my bootlegs of theirs to see if I have a live version of any of those songs. If I do, I'll be forced to listen to it which usually ends up with me listening to the entire show with a huge stupid grin on my face.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 18:01
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Wrong.  The last album to feature Zoltan on drums was The Sum Of No Evil.  Which is also, not coincidentally, their best album after Unfold by far WinkSmile  That said, I don't really find any of their albums "bad" or even "not good".  I just don't really get a lot out of Adam & Eve, though I agree with you about the musicianship and I do love a couple of the tunes (not the epics though........first FK album where the epics weren't my favorite track(s)).
My bad, I thought he only guested on some of that album......must be why I like it too.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 11:38
Are TFK still active, on hiatus or...?
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 09:21
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Are TFK still active, on hiatus or...?

Roine Stolt has a new version of The Flower Kings that has been touring. The lineup includes Hasse and Jonas.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 00:23
Mmm the sun is out the sky is blue its the right time to listen to The Flower Kings! 

Playlist: 
Paradox Hotel 
Space Revolver  
Flower Power 
Stardust We Are 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 13:13

My bad, I thought he only guested on some of that album......must be why I like it too.

(sorry for the extremely late reply)

Well, he was kind of a guest, as he only did the album and didn't tour with them.  But he's the drummer for the entire album. 

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 13:14
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Mmm the sun is out the sky is blue its the right time to listen to The Flower Kings! 

Playlist: 
Paradox Hotel 
Space Revolver  
Flower Power 
Stardust We Are 

Just listened to Space Revolver last week, which was my first listen to FK album in quite some time.  Still as great as I remember!

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 06:18
So there is a new Flower Kings album being recorded as we speak.  See Jonas' FB page for a couple of pics (no details yet though).  It appears to be the recent live lineup, so no Tomas.  Anyway, should be interesting and hey..........NEW FLOWER KINGS!!!!! Smile
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 08:18
Long live The Flower King(s)!!!
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 08:35

So there is a new Flower Kings album being recorded as we speak.  See Jonas' FB page for a couple of pics (no details yet though).  It appears to be the recent live lineup, so no Tomas.  Anyway, should be interesting and hey..........NEW FLOWER KINGS!!!!! Smile
Oh wow, that is GREAT news!!! Almost unbelievable! Shocked

I don't have a Facebook account, so how can I see the pics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 467468469470471 486>