Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 11:21
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I have a fairly sizable FK and related collection too.  I know that I don't have early Kaipa releases and Roine's early solo releases, but I have just about everything since The Flower Kings came around.  Although, I am sure that I am missing some things.  I know I don't have the latests Tomas Bodin solo releases, and the latest Pain of Salvation releases, since I guess technically they would count as related.  Also, not sure what former drummers and Roine's brother have been up to, or whether or not they have other releases that I don't have. I suspect that I probably fall further behind every other day at the rate these guys release things.  LOL

I have it all, I can honestly say.  Well, okay, I don't have the first couple Stolt solo albums, but from what I've heard I don't really have any desire to have them.  Same with Fantasia.  Of course, those are all long out of print and I have never heard any suggestion they will ever be available again.

Oh, I also still don't have the last Karmakanic, but I will get that at some point in the near future.

But aside from those, I have all Kaipa with Stolt (and some without), all Tangent, all FK (including fan club CD's and unofficial and official boots), all Tomas Bodin, all Jonas, all Stolt, and the Hasse album.    Also all TA, including the Stolt mix of the first album.

There may be more I'm missing............I know of at least one album that Stolt plays lead on one track that I don't have (can't remember the name or who it is at the moment).

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 11:28
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Ok, thanks, I take My Chicken Farmer song seriously since all the bashing it has received around  here... 

I think that if prog bands would "lighten up" a bit more and do songs like Chicken Farmer, prog would be a lot more popular and that would serve us all.  Tales by YES is one of my top 3 YES records, but every song doesn't need to be a 30 minute opus!

Bashing?  I don't think there has been any bashing.  At least, all I said was that it's not one of my favorite FK songs, but that it's still a decent song.  I also don't think that more songs like that would make prog anymore popular.  Let's face it, the middle guitar solo would cause all, or nearly all, typical music listeners to tune out.

Having said all that, I agree totally that every song doesn't need to be a 30 minute opus.........my favorite FK song is 60 minutes Wink

Ah Ha!!!!!   Gotcha infandous,Wink

I knew I would get a squawk out of you with my original comment about Chiken Farmer Song Bashing as bait.  If you were so innocent, why did you feel compelled to defend youself???. We've have been told for ages, that only the guilty need a defense or a lawyer!

Hmm...   Lets see you get out of that!Smile

I think you like The Chicken Farmer Song more than you wanna admit, because in the "hardcore Flower King circles"
there is an "unwritten" rule that real Flower King fans only like 50 minute run-on pieces with a million vague atonal jazz intervals...

Tongue   Big smile    LOL

Well, in the USA the innocent most definitely need a lawyer and defense.  Just look at all the death row inmates that are exonerated when they are proven innocent (not to mention the ones who never got the chance that we don't know about).

As I said before, it's a fine song.  Just not my favorite and certainly not their best by far, IMO Big smile

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 11:28

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

You guys are STILL talking about Chicken Farmer Song? Wink

As someone who listens to a lot of jazz, when the band get's jazzy, it's not very atonal to my ears. They don't get too 'free' in their playing. It usually reminds me of post-bop, but really adventurous post-bop, like it wants to go in the free jazz direction, but never quite makes it.

OR they go in the more fusion direction (Jonas bumpin the bass while Tomas is playing a synth line, etc.)

Hi darkshade,Smile

Please do remember, this thread was highjacked(by meWink) and has been re-established as:

The New(and improved) Chicken Farmer Song Thread - Please see prior pages for details.

As far as the millions of atonal jazz intervals, I referred to, I was just having some fun with infandous.
Though I do prefer the more classical edge to a prog band a la ELP & YES, I do really enjoy TFK, but their jazzy/fusion side sounds like every other jazz/fusion band like Return to Forever, and I have heard that stuff already, in spades.  I admire the jazz side of TFK but it just doesn't strike me as original.  But yes, people could say the same thing about the classical ideas that a band like ELP kinda recycled, so I know this is all just me.

I am probably the only one here in this thread that prefers Roine's brother on bass to Jonas.  I never cared for that
hundreds of notes in the high register jazz stuff that Jonas does(a la Jaco Pastorius).  I like the bass to kick me in the gut and move me across the floor a bit, like the bass in:

Genesis   - bass very deep and powerful
YES - Pure Groovin low end satisfaction!
TFK Chicken Farmer Song - Awesome deep bass! (Yes I know that is Jonas playin)
Renaissance - That bass really gives that band some stones!
The Who - John E. makes little doubt that the bass has the LOW end well covered
ELP - Check out the bass in Tarkus - Eruption or A Time And A Place
and perhaps the best example:
Geddy Lee:  Play "In The End" on a good stereo and dig the bass. Tongue   Big smile  Smile

I just love how Jonas adds that jazz dynamic to a rather "straightforward" symphonic band, it adds variety. Neither Yes nor Genesis nor ELP were jazzy, so when Jonas steps in with his fretless, I think it's a rather great move other than having another Squire-impersonator or a nobody, in any case. 

Personal bass faves: Geezer Butler, Entwistle, Ralphe Armstrong, Squire, Sinclair and Johnson, I suppose.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 12:14

Huh?  See, I wouldn't use any of those words to describe Chris Squire's bass style.  I've only recently gotten to Yes despite years of trying and I'm pretty certain that the reason it took me so long it my lack of appreciation for Mr. Squire's playing.  Please don't get me wrong, I can admire his musical ability, I just don't like his style.  I think he spends way to much time in the high register and he could stand to groove a bit more.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 12:24

Well, in the USA the innocent most definitely need a lawyer and defense.  Just look at all the death row inmates that are exonerated when they are proven innocent (not to mention the ones who never got the chance that we don't know about).

Oops, you got me with that.  Stopped dead in my tracks, am I.Confused

Hmm, I need a more clever plan to get you next time.Angry

But, back to TFK...

Can you name these better songs(around the same time length, please) than The Chicken Farmer Song?
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 12:26

But, back to TFK...

Can you name these better songs(around the same time length, please) than The Chicken Farmer Song?

By The Flower Kings or any other band?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 12:36
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Huh?  See, I wouldn't use any of those words to describe Chris Squire's bass style.  I've only recently gotten to Yes despite years of trying and I'm pretty certain that the reason it took me so long it my lack of appreciation for Mr. Squire's playing.  Please don't get me wrong, I can admire his musical ability, I just don't like his style.  I think he spends way to much time in the high register and he could stand to groove a bit more.
Hi Roland113,

Have you heard YES live?  YES records were never the best recorded, a bit on the thin side.  The very latest, Live
From Lyon, does have a better representation of Chris' live sound.   Yes, you are right he does go up the neck a bit but not at the expense of always keeping the song anchored, in classic YES that is.

But, I am speaking of Chris' work with Steve Howe and not the 90125 YES.  In 90125 his bass work was very much more trebbly & thin.  I don't mean his Trevor Rabin YES days....

Check out Yours Is No Disgrace from Live From Lyon, and blast that if you have a decent stereo.  Smile
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 12:37
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

But, back to TFK...

By The Flower Kings or any other band?

TFK,   infandous said TFK had better songs than TCFS
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 12:13
This has always bothered me. Who is on the Stardust We Are front cover?

From left to right, it's (?, ?, Roine Stolt, Jamie Salazar, Michael Stolt.) Who are the 2 on the left? I feel like Tomas Bodin is 2nd from left, but I'm not sure.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 12:30

Edited by rushfan4 - March 17 2012 at 12:31
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 12:35
I thought Hasse Froberg was far left (I thought maybe it was Hasse Bruniusson), and Bodin 2nd from left. Yes?

Hasse Bruniusson is not on the cover right? I only see 5 people.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 12:39
Bodin is definitely 2nd from left.  I assume that must be Froberg on the far left but I am not certain based on the picture I found.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:19

I have a fairly sizable FK and related collection too.  I know that I don't have early Kaipa releases and Roine's early solo releases, but I have just about everything since The Flower Kings came around.  Although, I am sure that I am missing some things.  I know I don't have the latests Tomas Bodin solo releases, and the latest Pain of Salvation releases, since I guess technically they would count as related.  Also, not sure what former drummers and Roine's brother have been up to, or whether or not they have other releases that I don't have. I suspect that I probably fall further behind every other day at the rate these guys release things.  LOL

I have it all, I can honestly say.  Well, okay, I don't have the first couple Stolt solo albums, but from what I've heard I don't really have any desire to have them.  Same with Fantasia.  Of course, those are all long out of print and I have never heard any suggestion they will ever be available again.

Oh, I also still don't have the last Karmakanic, but I will get that at some point in the near future.

But aside from those, I have all Kaipa with Stolt (and some without), all Tangent, all FK (including fan club CD's and unofficial and official boots), all Tomas Bodin, all Jonas, all Stolt, and the Hasse album.    Also all TA, including the Stolt mix of the first album.

There may be more I'm missing............I know of at least one album that Stolt plays lead on one track that I don't have (can't remember the name or who it is at the moment).

okay, so if you had to choose just one from that collection, what would it be?

i'm way behind on tangent and kaipa and karmakanic and agents of mercy :-)
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:22
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

what's ironic about the 'low end satisfaction' is that squire turns his bass all the way down and the treble all the way up and plays it like a guitar.  i like it that way, you can hear what the bass is doing.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:26
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

okay, so if you had to choose just one from that collection, what would it be?

i'm way behind on tangent and kaipa and karmakanic and agents of mercy :-)
My choice would probably be Who's The Boss in the Factory from Karmakanic or any of The Tangent albums.  I love all of the Tangent albums, but my absolute favorite are the first two.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:28
Yea, all The Tangent albums are fantastic.

I'd say start with the debut, A Place In The Queue, or COMM.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 16:58
yeah, i think i'll start with the first Tangent.  i've heard that one before.  i'm concerned some of these releases will be out of print....especially the Karmakanic ones.  i saw Wheel for like $100!  i also want to get agents of mercy soon.  i think it will take some time to get into those.  they seem very dense in terms of lyrics and atmosphere and less symphonic.  i'm just totally blown away that roine basically wrote all those AoM tunes.  excuse my french, but the guy is a f**king manic genius second only to zappa in terms of being prolific.  

rusfan-claiming a karmakanic disc as your favorite of all the tfk family is bold ;-)  i really need to get that one soon too!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 20:58
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

yeah, i think i'll start with the first Tangent.  i've heard that one before.  i'm concerned some of these releases will be out of print....especially the Karmakanic ones.  i saw Wheel for like $100!  i also want to get agents of mercy soon.  i think it will take some time to get into those.  they seem very dense in terms of lyrics and atmosphere and less symphonic.  i'm just totally blown away that roine basically wrote all those AoM tunes.  excuse my french, but the guy is a f**king manic genius second only to zappa in terms of being prolific.  

rusfan-claiming a karmakanic disc as your favorite of all the tfk family is bold ;-)  i really need to get that one soon too!

Ugh, I wrote out this long response, then my browser couldn't connect to the PA server when I tried to post reply, and I don't feel like re-typing it.

Basically, the first Tangent album is a great place to start, but their sound develops into their own as their discography goes on, with their most recent album COMM being their best, in my opinion.

I gave The Black Forest a try on Spotify a few times, but I haven't really been feeling Agents Of Mercy. I'm glad TFK are coming back. Smile
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 21:28
ur avatar still sucks
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 12:00

Bodin is definitely 2nd from left.  I assume that must be Froberg on the far left but I am not certain based on the picture I found.

Nope.  Second from left is Michael Stolt.  First on left is Tomas Bodin (in the booklet, there is another picture of him wearing those same glasses, and he had long hair back then).  Far right is Hasse Bruniusson (who had short hair and wore glasses back then).  Froberg is not in the picture, though that is the album where he became an official member and he is pictured inside the booklet (he had short hair then).

Edited by infandous - March 19 2012 at 12:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 486>