Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 08:52
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Okay, i'm going to break down here. I've been getting into symphonic music after a while of disdain for it, and The Tangent has definitely been the reason for trying more bands from this genre and style. So let's try these Flower Kings out. 
Which album should i listen to if i want more jazz influences and an album that isn't 2 hours long. Strong chorus or lyrical hooks would be amazing too. Thanks, cheers!
- Austin.
The current Tangent is really nothing like the Flower Kings, just keep that in mind.  However, the first two Tangent albums (as mentioned before, featuring 3 FK's members) are not too far off in style.THE jazz album for TFK's is Unfold the Future, and yes it's two hours long.  I suppose next best would probably be Space Revolver, as mentioned before.  Sum of no Evil as well, but I hesitate to recommend that one as it doesn't seem to rank very high for a lot of fans.
I'm the token Sum of No Evil fanatic around here Wink

You're not the only one - love that album.

It's so good. I don't know why it's not as liked as other albums.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 09:15

It suffers from the same problem as many other latest albums from bands that are well established - people had a lot of expectations and didn't give the album a chance to sink in.

Edited by dtguitarfan - June 04 2012 at 09:17
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 09:19

It suffers from the same problem as many other latest albums from bands that are well established - people had a lot of expectations and didn't give the album a chance to sink in.

That's what I figure. TSONE was the second album I got by the band, so I was mostly unfamiliar with their discography at the time, and I thought this one was more well received when it came out.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 11:12

That's what I figure. TSONE was the second album I got by the band, so I was mostly unfamiliar with their discography at the time, and I thought this one was more well received when it came out.

It was very well received.  I just think for those of us who have followed them for a long time, it wasn't quite up to expectations.  Personally, I love it, but I rate it somewhere in the middle of their albums.  To tell the truth, I prefer everything from Space Revolver and earlier, to everything after that, in general (UTF is a notable exception, but even then, it's not my favorite album of theirs).  For me there is just a certain something in those early albums that went missing after Space Revolver and never came back.  I can't really define it, but I know it every time I listen to the albums.

Having said that, there is not any FK album I rate as less than very good.

Edited by infandous - June 04 2012 at 11:13
gazagod View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazagod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 15:40
i like this band... via youtube.. some fellow on this board clued me into the lasercd.com sale of a couple of their albums for a couple bucks a piece... nice and thanks!  and now im listening to 'space revolver' and 'the rainmaker' on the cheap... very nice songcraft and i love the heavy bass production... often, it occurs to me, that the independently produced albums are the best if not (but often) because of the songwriting, but because of the spacious, non-compressed production/engineering... yes.. i enjoy...a feast for the ears and mind ... like the jazzy, 'show-tuney' interludes
we only know that we do not know
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 12:17
Gazagod, great to hear and welcome to the thread.  As you'll no doubt, we're chock full of opinions and recommendations on all things Flower Kings.  Space Revolver is one of my favorites and The Rainmaker has a bunch of great tunes on it as well.
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master of Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 15:56

It was very well received.  I just think for those of us who have followed them for a long time, it wasn't quite up to expectations.  Personally, I love it, but I rate it somewhere in the middle of their albums.  To tell the truth, I prefer everything from Space Revolver and earlier, to everything after that, in general (UTF is a notable exception, but even then, it's not my favorite album of theirs).  For me there is just a certain something in those early albums that went missing after Space Revolver and never came back.  I can't really define it, but I know it every time I listen to the albums.

The Sum of No Evil is the only Flower Kings album that I have really loved so far, the others are good and I like them but I really love TSONE, I think it's fantastic.
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 16:13
Originally posted by gazagod gazagod wrote:

i like this band... via youtube.. some fellow on this board clued me into the lasercd.com sale of a couple of their albums for a couple bucks a piece... nice and thanks!  and now im listening to 'space revolver' and 'the rainmaker' on the cheap... very nice songcraft and i love the heavy bass production... often, it occurs to me, that the independently produced albums are the best if not (but often) because of the songwriting, but because of the spacious, non-compressed production/engineering... yes.. i enjoy...a feast for the ears and mind ... like the jazzy, 'show-tuney' interludes
Welcome to the TFK thread gazagod Smile

Actually it's more like a forum within a forum Wink

Anyway, glad you found this great band and please stay around Smile

Edited by Nov - June 05 2012 at 16:16
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 16:16
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

The Sum of No Evil is the only Flower Kings album that I have really loved so far, the others are good and I like them but I really love TSONE, I think it's fantastic.
Wow - this thread is really starting to draw people in Smile

Welcome aboard MoT Smile

You'll find that we all have different opinions on TFK and my opinion of TSONE is that it's my least favourite of their albums since getting into the band in about 1998 Wink

I'm really hoping for much better things with Banks of Eden Wink

Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 16:19

It was very well received. I just think for those of us who have followed them for a long time, it wasn't quite up to expectations. Personally, I love it, but I rate it somewhere in the middle of their albums. To tell the truth, I prefer everything from Space Revolver and earlier, to everything after that, in general (UTF is a notable exception, but even then, it's not my favorite album of theirs). For me there is just a certain something in those early albums that went missing after Space Revolver and never came back.  I can't really define it, but I know it every time I listen to the albums.

I would agree with every single word here and could have written it myself Smile

(Apart from where you say you "love" TSONE - I would only say I like it Wink)

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 16:22
Nice to see some fresh faces, this thread really is a forum within a forum. It's been going strong since I joined in almost 2 years ago now. I sense a bit of a buzz surrounding Banks Of Eden, not just here, but at a bunch of other forums. Advance copies are already circulating and Ive seen some comments about how good it is, but no one has said anything specific to the music itself.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 19:59
My copy of Tomas Bodin - "Sonic Boulevard" came in today. Can't wait to hear it!!!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 23:14

My copy of Tomas Bodin - "Sonic Boulevard" came in today. Can't wait to hear it!!!

where did you get it?  i'm trying to fill in some gaps in my TFK family collection and am finding some stuff is out of print and way overpriced used.  i've found some stuff, but bodin's albums are proving difficult.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 10:14
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

where did you get it?  i'm trying to fill in some gaps in my TFK family collection and am finding some stuff is out of print and way overpriced used.  i've found some stuff, but bodin's albums are proving difficult.

Ordered it from my local shop. It was their last copy. Unhappy
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 11:06
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

My only suggestion is Greg Walker, especially if you are in the US.  synphonic.8m.com

He often has stuff that is no longer available on the usual sites like Amazon or cduniverse.  His prices are reasonable, you get it in a couple days (I've had them in my mailbox the very next day sometimes......and he's 2/3 of the way across the country from me), and he's a very nice guy who's very knowledgeable about prog (he organized the first US prog festival ever, out in California......the Flower Kings performed at one of his festivals in 1997, and I have it on VHS tape somewhere...I think a lot of it is on youtube)

Edited by infandous - June 06 2012 at 11:07
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 11:22
Listening to Sonic Boulevard right now. Really sounds like instrumental TFK with a little world music influence, and more spacey. Like it! Pretty dark in some sections. One thing I'm noticing is that I feel like Jonas' bass is too low in the mix, which Ive never ever felt was a problem with pretty much any other album with his name on it. Good album so far, based on first listen.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 11:36
I haven't been liking TFK sadly. I'll try again in the future, for now i'll live with my passion for The Tangent. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 11:37

I haven't been liking TFK sadly. I'll try again in the future, for now i'll live with my passion for The Tangent. 

What did you try? You never kept us updated.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 11:54
Some of Space Revolver and  Unfold the Future. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 12:09

Some of Space Revolver and  Unfold the Future. 

Word of advice, based on my own experience:

You have to give The Flower Kings albums at least a couple of listens before anything grabs you. I think it's a matter of wrapping your head around the music and anticipating what's coming next in a song, since their music is very dense. Even after getting into the band and owning a few albums, subsequent albums always required multiple listens, but by then, I knew that. The Tangent definitely have that element that grabs you right away (usually it's the grooves from Jonas and Zoltan or Jaime for me).

I say, keep trying. Go back to those 2 albums before trying other albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 486>