Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 204205206207208 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 12:14
The vocals are terrible, even when they're compared to The Tangent. Plus the whole atmosphere just puts me off, and slightly cringe. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 12:17
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

The vocals are terrible, even when they're compared to The Tangent. Plus the whole atmosphere just puts me off, and slightly cringe. 

For which album? Unfold the Future has Daniel Gildenlow on vocals for a few songs (on disc 2), you don't like his vocals? There's also a lot of jazz improv on that album.

That's funny because I think Hasse Froberg's vocals are superior to Andy Tillison's. I understand Roine's vocals can be an acquired taste, but Hasse is featured prominently on UtF.

When it comes to the vocals (for most bands anyway), I let the music do the talking, and I sort out my problems with the vocals later (unless they're really friggin bad, which I don't believe TFK's vocals are).
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 12:19
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

For which album? Unfold the Future has Daniel Gildenlow on vocals for a few songs (on disc 2), you don't like his vocals? There's also a lot of jazz improv on that album.

That's funny because I think Hasse Froberg's vocals are superior to Andy Tillison's. I understand Roine's vocals can be an acquired taste, but Hasse is featured prominently on UtF.

When it comes to the vocals (for most bands anyway), I let the music do the talking, and I sort out my problems with the vocals later (unless they're really friggin bad, which I don't believe TFK's vocals are).

I'm not sure which vocalist i disliked, i didn't try to differentiate. I'm not sure, i'll take your advice and try the 2 albums again later on up the road. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 12:23

I'm not sure which vocalist i disliked, i didn't try to differentiate. I'm not sure, i'll take your advice and try the 2 albums again later on up the road. 

Sounds good. It took me almost 5 years to get into TFK, but that's because every time I gave them a shot, I listened to a different album each time, thinking I may have heard the wrong one or something. When I finally decided to try an album I had already heard before, that's when I started to get into them. I also went into their material looking for the jazziest prog I could find, which is not a good idea as their sound is too eclectic for that; you have to just go in with an open mind, in my opinion.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 12:59

I find this humorous because I got into TFK before trying The Tangent, and I thought The Tangent's vocals were awful. Is it just me or are the vocals on their live album very pitchy?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 13:10
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I find this humorous because I got into TFK before trying The Tangent, and I thought The Tangent's vocals were awful. Is it just me or are the vocals on their live album very pitchy?

While I like Andy Tillison's vocals, they can't hold a candle to any of the Flower Kings vocalists.......though he and Stolt are similar in a lot of ways, vocally.

For me, Tillison's vocals actually took quite a while to get into, and it was only the Peter Hammill similarities that drew me in.  He also reminds me of John Lennon, believe it or not.  As far as pitch, yeah, he tends to be flat quite a bit, especially live.  However, Roine does the same thing. In the end though, I really enjoy both of their vocals, because they both put emotion and conviction behind every word they sing.  I've mentioned before that Froberg can get on my nerves sometimes, which is something that has developed for me since sometime after Unfold was released.  To my ears, he can be a bit shrill at times.  However, when both he and Roine sing together, I think it works great.  I loved when Gildenlow was in the band, and wouldn't have been disappointed if he had replaced Froberg (though really, I don't think that would have worked in the long run, as it would have changed the dynamic too much........Gildenlow worked best in the guest capacity).

I liked Roine's vocals the first time I heard them (Rhythm of the Sea, from Retropolis), as they reminded me a lot of John Wetton.  He has a lot of character in his voice, and as I mentioned above, a lot of feeling and conviction.  I can, however, totally understand why someone might not enjoy them.

Edited by infandous - June 06 2012 at 13:12
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 13:11

I know someone before shared a similar thought but The Tangent's vocals are the reason that I only own two of their albums and avoided them like the plague ever since.  'A Crisis in Midlife' is such a fantastic song . . . until the flat and somewhat off key vocals come in.  

I strongly prefer the tandem from The Flower Kings.  

I know you're not exactly giving The Tangent high props for their vocals but The Flower Kings at least stay in key.  :)

(on a side note, I'm considering getting COMM and giving The Tangent another shot.  I like the instrumentation on the two that I have and COMM seems to be almost universally enjoyed by people on here that I share similar musical tastes with)
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 13:15
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

I know someone before shared a similar thought but The Tangent's vocals are the reason that I only own two of their albums and avoided them like the plague ever since.  'A Crisis in Midlife' is such a fantastic song . . . until the flat and somewhat off key vocals come in.  

I strongly prefer the tandem from The Flower Kings.  

I know you're not exactly giving The Tangent high props for their vocals but The Flower Kings at least stay in key.  :)

(on a side note, I'm considering getting COMM and giving The Tangent another shot.  I like the instrumentation on the two that I have and COMM seems to be almost universally enjoyed by people on here that I share similar musical tastes with)

The best one is A Place in the Queue, as far as symphonic prog goes.  Easily my favorite, though COMM is a close second.  Probably the vocals are a bit better on COMM though.  But musically, I suspect Queue is more up your alley.  Either one though is a good choice.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 13:26
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Their live album Pyramids and Stars sounds great. 
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 14:13
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

My copy of Tomas Bodin - "Sonic Boulevard" came in today. Can't wait to hear it!!!

where did you get it?  i'm trying to fill in some gaps in my TFK family collection and am finding some stuff is out of print and way overpriced used.  i've found some stuff, but bodin's albums are proving difficult.
My only suggestion is Greg Walker, especially if you are in the US.  <span =""="">synphonic.8m.comHe often has stuff that is no longer available on the usual sites like Amazon or cduniverse.  His prices are reasonable, you get it in a couple days (I've had them in my mailbox the very next day sometimes......and he's 2/3 of the way across the country from me), and he's a very nice guy who's very knowledgeable about prog (he organized the first US prog festival ever, out in California......the Flower Kings performed at one of his festivals in 1997, and I have it on VHS tape somewhere...I think a lot of it is on youtube)</span>

Infaddous thank you!!!   That site is a gold mine. Oh man I'm gonna be broke. Glad to hear he's a cool dude. Much rather give him my money than some bozo on eBay asking ridiculous prices. Thanks again.

Edited by zumacraig - June 06 2012 at 20:09
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master of Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 15:03

Some of Space Revolver and  Unfold the Future. 

I'm not a big fan of those albums either, but I love The Sum of No Evil, perhaps you may like it as well. The vocals on that album almost reminded me of Bruce Springsteen in parts. I also agree that the others have a strange atmosphere but TSONE's I thought didn't put me off as much and I grew to love it. I've never been able to gget into The Tangent however (though I've never really tried that hard) so I can't comment on that, but try The Sum of No Evil as well, maybe you'll like it.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 07:51

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

My copy of Tomas Bodin - "Sonic Boulevard" came in today. Can't wait to hear it!!!

where did you get it?  i'm trying to fill in some gaps in my TFK family collection and am finding some stuff is out of print and way overpriced used.  i've found some stuff, but bodin's albums are proving difficult.
My only suggestion is Greg Walker, especially if you are in the US.  <span =""="">synphonic.8m.comHe often has stuff that is no longer available on the usual sites like Amazon or cduniverse.  His prices are reasonable, you get it in a couple days (I've had them in my mailbox the very next day sometimes......and he's 2/3 of the way across the country from me), and he's a very nice guy who's very knowledgeable about prog (he organized the first US prog festival ever, out in California......the Flower Kings performed at one of his festivals in 1997, and I have it on VHS tape somewhere...I think a lot of it is on youtube)</span>

Infaddous thank you!!!   That site is a gold mine. Oh man I'm gonna be broke. Glad to hear he's a cool dude. Much rather give him my money than some bozo on eBay asking ridiculous prices. Thanks again.

No problem.  Just email him.....he'll even give you suggestions based on what you like if you ask him.  Very knowledgeable guy for prog.

I've been recommending him ever since I first ordered from him................and my first order from him was my first two Flower Kings albums, Retropolis and Stardust We Are (which were only available as imports back then, since they were only on Roine's personal label).  There was no Paypal back then, so I had to send him a check.........even though he didn't know me and I'd never ordered from him before, the CD's were in my mailbox before he even got my check!

Edited by infandous - June 07 2012 at 07:53
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 10:12
I just realized who Don Azzaro is. 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 12:15

I just realized who Don Azzaro is. 

LOLLOLLOLLOL

I remember back in 1999 thinking it was odd that someone with such an Italian sounding name was producing a Swedish band.  Then I found out from an interview that it was Stolt himself.  Hippyfied Art (listed as the booklet designer for most FK albums before Rainmaker) is also Roine.  Dexter Frank, Jr., listed as "Engineer", is also Roine.
Apparently he used all these pseudonyms because he felt it seemed a bit conceited to have his real name listed for al this work.

LOL

Edited by infandous - June 07 2012 at 12:18
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 12:39
Roine has so many nicknames Wacko
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 14:32
Today i've been emailing with my new best buddy...Tomas Bodin!!!Headbanger
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:04
The urge to listen to TFK is strong today. Ive been holding off until BoE comes out, because I know I'm going to gorge myself on their music. Ive been keeping myself busy with Transatlantic, The Tangent, Spock's Beard, Karmakanic, Tomas Bodin, Dream Theater, Neal Morse, Agents of Mercy, Beardfish, and anything else Ive missed. I'm running out of albums!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:08
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

I'm not a big fan of those albums either, but I love The Sum of No Evil, perhaps you may like it as well. The vocals on that album almost reminded me of Bruce Springsteen in parts. I also agree that the others have a strange atmosphere but TSONE's I thought didn't put me off as much and I grew to love it. I've never been able to gget into The Tangent however (though I've never really tried that hard) so I can't comment on that, but try The Sum of No Evil as well, maybe you'll like it.
I have 1 CD by "The Tangent" ITWTWDT - and it didn't impress me on one spin - so It's one of the many that I may go back to but when I get home from a hard day sorting out Audi's reporting suite etc - I usually want to play something I know will give me a buzz - thus it's hard to give a CD that didn't impress a lot on spin 1 to give it a second go...Who's with me on this ???
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:10
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I have 1 CD by "The Tangent" ITWTWDT - and it didn't impress me on one spin - so It's one of the many that I may go back to but when I get home from a hard day sorting out Audi's reporting suite etc - I usually want to play something I know will give me a buzz - thus it's hard to give a CD that didn't impress a lot on spin 1 to give it a second go...Who's with me on this ???

If it's any consolation, that Tangent album may be the least best or 2nd least best album by them. I say "least best" because I think all The Tangent albums are good.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 15:16

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

If it's any consolation, that Tangent album may be the least best or 2nd least best album by them. I say "least best" because I think all The Tangent albums are good.
I may buy another then! - To be fair I have gone back to CD's that haven't impressed on spin 1 and they blow me away on second spin - it's all about picking the CD for the right mood.....
And it took me two years to get into Yes from loving Genesis/Camel almost straight away.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 204205206207208 486>