Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:17
There's this part a little after the 7:00 minute mark in "Numbers". Anyone get an Opeth vibe? And then it gets to the demonic part, then to the "Down, down down" part. Man, that one minute of music is amazing. Chills down my spine!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:31
So whats the general verdict o the new album?

Is it worth getting?

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:41
YES!!!

And speaking of Yes, "For The Love of Gold" is big Yes, as far as a couple of the vocal sections go. But that's the only blatant Yes influence on the album.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:35
Aw man, the last song on the bonus disc "LoLines" is so good, it might be better than at least half of the main disc.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:48
Well Mine has arrived - I purchased it from the Flowerkings website - and the envelope has 1 40 Krona stamp and 4 2 Krona stamps thats about - £4.30 in Pounds sterling the envelope even has an uppsala post mark.
The label is hand written - but by who??
Off to listen to it now...

wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 13:45
Glorious - I downloaded this just after midnight and have already listened trhough it two and a half times.
The main disc is sublime - all killer no filler (IMO) and the second disc is pretty nifty too though it has a different lyrical feel to the main disc.

Best bits are the opener Numbers which is accessible and keeps the attention for the full 25 minutes without hesitation and overall quality of the vocals seems to have been raised a notch by the hiatus.

Definitely one to check out.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 14:23
I'm really enjoying how good the production is. I also agree that the hiatus really rejuvinated the vocal department, Hasse and Roine, I feel, have topped themselves in that regard.

Not to take away from the BoE discussion, I just wanted to say that the new album has made me want to revisit TFK. I wanted to listen to one with Zoltan, as new drummer Felix is similar as he is a jazz/fusion drummer too. So I decided to go with Adam & Eve, because Ive listened to the other 2 Zoltan albums a million times (UtF and TSONE).

I'm sorry guys, I know A&E is not the most liked TFK album, but I think you're all crazy. Adam & Eve us kicking my ass at how good it is.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 14:36
Heh, I love A Vampire's View. It always reminds me of the movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" because the main character is writing a rock opera, and sings in a vampire-type voice. LOL Not to mention, the song ALWAYS gives me goosebumps.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 15:42
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

been listening to the first Tangent CD.  so great.  ironically, it's dynamic range is lacking.  from what i've heard of BoE, seems to be quite warm and dynamic.  also finally got the first 'new' kaipa cd to keep me busy while waiting for my copy of BoE.

It seems like dynamic range is coming back in vogue, thanks to people like Steve Wilson and Roine.  In the late 90's and early 00's, it seemed like most CD's were produced such that there was virtually no dynamic range ("quiet" sections and "loud" sections having the same volume across the CD).  I'm so glad this is changing.

yes, i love the production, mix, and master on that last steven wilson album.  i listen to a bunch of ECM jazz and that stuff is perfect.  i wasn't totally aware of how the loudness stuff was in the 90s.  i checked the dynamic range (DR) of the flower king and it's like 7!  now there's a recording that was hurt by it because the mix is quite good and spacial.  however, that tangent CD has a DR of 6 and doesn't clip.  it's just a squashed mix.  too bad.  i don't remember the TFK albums being this way.  i know SoNE is very dynamic.  the new rush is a nightmare...we need S'Wilson to mix and master everything!!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 15:46
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I'm really enjoying how good the production is. I also agree that the hiatus really rejuvinated the vocal department, Hasse and Roine, I feel, have topped themselves in that regard.

Not to take away from the BoE discussion, I just wanted to say that the new album has made me want to revisit TFK. I wanted to listen to one with Zoltan, as new drummer Felix is similar as he is a jazz/fusion drummer too. So I decided to go with Adam & Eve, because Ive listened to the other 2 Zoltan albums a million times (UtF and TSONE).

I'm sorry guys, I know A&E is not the most liked TFK album, but I think you're all crazy. Adam & Eve us kicking my ass at how good it is.

yeah, it's probably their most dense album.  which is ironic, given it's a single, not a double.  that thing takes years to digest.  it makes sense going back to that one after BoE....A+E is like pure TFK marrow.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 21:33
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Anyone know where i can hear some of Banks of Eden. I'm very interested in it. 

Have you tried the internet?

Dear Asian girl with waterbag & fish over head,

I believe Horizons was looking for a "legitimate" copy of Banks of Eden.  Horizons is a stand up guy and doesn't
engage in such shenanigans as illegal downloading, as that is all one could do at the moment since the album hasn't been released yet!

Yet, Darkshade has turned this thread on its ear by releasing a review and asking all kinds of questions from us about the record... before it has been released!

@Darkshade,
can you burn us all some copies while we wait for our official CD when it is properly released???
So at
that point we can tell you what we think of the new record!    umkay???    Wink

In the meantime, I suggest we all chill and listen to:

The Flower Kings - The Chicken Farmer Song!!!!   Approve
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 21:48
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I believe Horizons was looking for a "legitimate" copy of Banks of Eden.  Horizons is a stand up guy and doesn't
engage in such shenanigans as illegal downloading, as that is all one could do at the moment since the album hasn't been released yet!

Yet, Darkshade has turned this thread on its ear by releasing a review and asking all kinds of questions from us about the record... before it has been released!

@Darkshade,
can you burn us all some copies while we wait for our official CD when it is properly released???
So at

The Flower Kings - The Chicken Farmer Song!!!!   Approve

You can acquire stuff legitimately through the internet, both the physical and the digital copy.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 22:21

@Darkshade,
So at

The Flower Kings - The Chicken Farmer Song!!!!   Approve

i needed that DM!  interestingly, our guru (infandous) has been quiet.  he's getting the album this weekend and will probably be back with some words of great wisdom after listening to it.  i've only heard some of disc two as a result of a friend of a friend having it.  so, i'm waiting too.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 23:08
Yeah I am going to get this new album TFK but I will wait until its a bit cheaper - expensive online at moment.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 23:27
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Yeah I am going to get this new album TFK but I will wait until its a bit cheaper - expensive online at moment.

Come on Scott, don't be cheap, it's PROG that we're talking about here: it's worth every penny even if it's overpriced! LOL
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 00:10
The 2-CD version is only around $12 at lasercd.com. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 08:18
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

@Darkshade,
So at

The Flower Kings - The Chicken Farmer Song!!!!   Approve

i needed that DM!  interestingly, our guru (infandous) has been quiet.  he's getting the album this weekend and will probably be back with some words of great wisdom after listening to it.  i've only heard some of disc two as a result of a friend of a friend having it.  so, i'm waiting too.

I'm sure it sucks, like all the rest of their albums Wink  I imagine about the time I actually hear it, we will start seeing reviews like that on the album page here.  Just a matter of time until the haters have their say.

In any case, I'm just patiently waiting.  The reason is, I like to support Greg Walker, as he has been my prog dealer ever since I ordered my first Flower Kings CD from him back in 1999.  Also, my girlfriend is giving me my belated birthday present by buying me a stack of albums (including the new FK) at Nearest Big smile

I wish I could just go to a brick and mortar store to get it, like the one I worked at back in the early 2000's, where I got them to order in everything I wanted for generally cheap prices ($10 for Alive On Planet Earth, Space Revolver, and $11 for the first TA album), but those are long gone here in my little town.

Edited by infandous - June 19 2012 at 08:21
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siloportem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 09:45
To the Dutch folks:

I got mine from bol.com within a day last Saturday.
They're expensive, but reliable.

They also tend to cheat with release dates:

Picture this: product available on date X
And on date X it changes to something like "delivery in 5 days"
X+5 is then the actual release date (the one all the other webstores show)

Although they didn't do this with Banks of Eden (I was expecting it).

Edited by Siloportem - June 19 2012 at 09:50
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:33
I didn't mind paying a bit over the odd's to the bands own website- we should all buy prog direct from the bands - and support them - they are providing us with the oxygen music amongst the CO of pop dirge......
Anyway - my two penneth is simple - on first listen - The Epic is a grower - some sublime parts and it keeps the interst nicely for the full 25 mins - Track 2 - is simply superb - as good as anything TFK have produced,3,4, 5 all good - excellent CD musically very tight, wonder what the bonus tracks are like?
The only fly in the ointment for me is the lyrics....Roine really ought to find another metaphor for man killing man/woman than using that fecking biblical character Cain.....his obsession with the Gideon Bible is beginning to peck my fookin head, he's been in the same room with Neal Morse too too long....The link to Genesis (in the bible, not Peter Gabriels lot) is cliche...
His reference to evil (it's always a woman - another nod to the misogynists who wrote the christian canon) , this time your riding a lizard - (it's usually snakes (another biblical (Genesis) theme) that Roine maligns, this time it's bloody lizards), maybe he had a bad memory as a child where his mother lets the pet python or komodo dragon say hello to him in his cot or summat.....
He should get his metaphors from more modern sources but once again I reckon that he's a creationist, aye he's a sublime guitarist but quit with the christian polemic in every FK CD.
Anyway - rant over - The music IS SUBLIME....
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:41
I finally have the album, but I really want to be able to sit down and listen to it in its entirely. Absorb it, you know. But I have plans today, and I probably won't be able to. The anticipation is killing me! Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 486>