Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 18:41
*grumble* damn, even Barney likes it . . . this means I have to get it doesn't it?
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 21:08
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I still haven't checked out Hasse's solo work. I have his last album on Spotify. Didn't someone say it's like an album of "You Don't Know What You Got" but with more rockin' guitar?

no, it's not like any of his TFK songs.  it's really well written classic rock-prog.  lots of riffage and a bit of hair metal thrown in.  i really like it.  much more straight ahead than TFK and definitely a grower.  i'm just really impressed by it given his prior work is not his best :-)
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 21:12
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Roj is Right with Flowerpower, Stardust and Space Revolver - this showcases the very best of TFK with the exception of a few gems on the other CD's they don't come near in terms of consistency and majesty.
Anyway - Roj - Just listened to the latest Steven Wilson CD - and it's the best thing he's done by a country mile...Listen up peeps - this is a RECOMMENDATION - the last two tracks blew my mind......Mind you he's not progressed with this one since it's nicked straight from Hackett/Phillips 1971-74 genesis - with bit of The lamb mixed with Watcher of the skies with loads of Ant Phillips solo works blended in here and there - only spoilt by the infernal Saxophone.....The last track is so symphonic prog it had the hairs on my neck standing up - take a bow Steve for finally producing some Symphonic prog.......Nows the time to get you epic head on and extend that last track out to a 45 minute mellotron and guitar fest...and it'll go down as one of the finest prog rock tracks ever - it's 7:57 length is the only dissapoinment....

the Ant Phillips influence has got me curious.  i got Grace for Drowning, but never listen to it.  like someone said above, we expect these records to just blow our minds, when we really need to pay attention or let them sit on the shelf for a while.

btw, after hearing the news, i went and friended Hasse on FB.  i'm never on FB so it was fun for my wife to get the news of our friendship on her newsfeed!  Big smile

Edited by zumacraig - March 15 2013 at 21:14
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 22:31
OK, thanks for your answers. I'm hoping to get Banks of Eden tomorrow. Later on I might want to get Flowerpower, Stardust, and Space revolver as recomended. I have a thing for swedish bands because my grandmother is swedish. By the way, I'm expecting to receive the first Kaipa album... with luck I can pick it up tomorrow or the day after. Somehow I'm a bit more interested in it because I kind of prefer bands to release their albums in their mother toungue, even if I can't understand their lyrics. By the way, anyone has heard Cast, from Mexico? I got one album from them called originalis, which I really liked a lot, and on some reviews from albums from this band there were comparisons with The Flower Kings themselves, so if any of you know Cast too I would like to know what you think about that.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 05:23
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Roj is Right with Flowerpower, Stardust and Space Revolver - this showcases the very best of TFK with the exception of a few gems on the other CD's they don't come near in terms of consistency and majesty.
Anyway - Roj - Just listened to the latest Steven Wilson CD - and it's the best thing he's done by a country mile...Listen up peeps - this is a RECOMMENDATION - the last two tracks blew my mind......Mind you he's not progressed with this one since it's nicked straight from Hackett/Phillips 1971-74 genesis - with bit of The lamb mixed with Watcher of the skies with loads of Ant Phillips solo works blended in here and there - only spoilt by the infernal Saxophone.....The last track is so symphonic prog it had the hairs on my neck standing up - take a bow Steve for finally producing some Symphonic prog.......Nows the time to get you epic head on and extend that last track out to a 45 minute mellotron and guitar fest...and it'll go down as one of the finest prog rock tracks ever - it's 7:57 length is the only dissapoinment....

the Ant Phillips influence has got me curious.  i got Grace for Drowning, but never listen to it.  like someone said above, we expect these records to just blow our minds, when we really need to pay attention or let them sit on the shelf for a while.

btw, after hearing the news, i went and friended Hasse on FB.  i'm never on FB so it was fun for my wife to get the news of our friendship on her newsfeed!  Big smile
Talking of leaving on the shelf - while I was soaking in the bath - I spun "Fear of a blank Planet" that I had purchased but never listened to - the opening track is good as is the last track - some very thrashy metal mixed in as well - nowhere near as good as the "Raven" - that was suprisingly retro by Wilson standards....Maybe he's coming over to the symphonic prog side - he neeeds to do "The Maelstrom" - 80 min epic with loads of anti-religious lyrics - I'd buy it!!!!

Edited by M27Barney - March 16 2013 at 05:24
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 10:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK, thanks for your answers. I'm hoping to get Banks of Eden tomorrow. Later on I might want to get Flowerpower, Stardust, and Space revolver as recomended. I have a thing for swedish bands because my grandmother is swedish. By the way, I'm expecting to receive the first Kaipa album... with luck I can pick it up tomorrow or the day after. Somehow I'm a bit more interested in it because I kind of prefer bands to release their albums in their mother toungue, even if I can't understand their lyrics. By the way, anyone has heard Cast, from Mexico? I got one album from them called originalis, which I really liked a lot, and on some reviews from albums from this band there were comparisons with The Flower Kings themselves, so if any of you know Cast too I would like to know what you think about that.

Hmm, thanks for the recommendation, I will keep an eye out for them, I'll see if they're on Spotify on Monday.  I'll keep you all posted.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 10:08

he neeeds to do "The Maelstrom" - 80 min epic with loads of anti-religious lyrics - I'd buy it!!!!

LOL

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 12:00

he neeeds to do "The Maelstrom" - 80 min epic with loads of anti-religious lyrics - I'd buy it!!!!
Haha, is that the anti-Whirlwind?  I'd buy it as well!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 12:01
Tomas posted on facebook that TFK is definitely entering the studio after touring is done.

Can we expect the band's first double album in 7 years?
JonnyM79 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyM79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 16:01
I'd rather have another concise single album of consistently high quality, especially since TFK have finally got the hang of it with BOE :)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 17:22
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Tomas posted on facebook that TFK is definitely entering the studio after touring is done.

Can we expect the band's first double album in 7 years?
very hard to fill 2 CD's with top notch material. better a solid 60-70 mins me thinks,,,unless you have the peach of an extended epic to fill cd 1....
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 18:14
it would be fun to have a double disc, but i really liked the length of Banks.  it was kind of a double disc.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 18:46

Ok fine, I've done it.  I went out to the local CD store and they had a copy.  I now own "The Raven that Wouldn't Sing".  I haven't had a chance to listen to a lot of it with my complete attention, hopefully tonight once everyone else goes to sleep.

(Thanks Rob, you shamed me into getting it)

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 21:32
Still listening to it now, It's pretty good, it has a nice beat, I can dance to it, lot's of Mellotron though.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:45
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Still listening to it now, It's pretty good, it has a nice beat, I can dance to it, lot's of Mellotron though.

Heh, I would think it would be an album you could enjoy Tom.  Maybe not a favorite, but something you will appreciate and like well enough.

Personally,  I enjoy it a lot, but find that it is all a bit "clinical".  Very precise, but kind of lacking the thing that made those early bands so good......spontaneity, improvisation (particularly in terms of King Crimson), and "feel".  I don't know, Wilson always comes across as fairly cold to me, which worked very well in PTree, but maybe not quite as well when using all these analog type sounds and a 70's approach to music writing.

I think that is where Beardfish really drew me in.......they are retro, very proggy and 70's sounding.......but they actually sound like a band in the 70's sounded.  In other words, they ROCK and have tons of feel and groove.  I don't really get that from anything Wilson has ever done.  Of course, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy his stuff a lot, because I do.  But it's a totally different approach to music when compared to how the "classic" 70's groups did it (most of whom who still exist don't do it that way anymore either). 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:49
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

it would be fun to have a double disc, but i really liked the length of Banks.  it was kind of a double disc.  

I'm good with the length of Banks, though I was hoping that by pairing it down we'd get something like the best tracks of Stardust or Back In the World on one concise CD.  That wasn't at all what happened, IMO.  I've listened to Banks a few more times now, and it's definitely grown on me, but still is near the bottom of my favorites.  I actually find that if I incorporate the "bonus" songs into the main album (on MP3), and put Numbers at the end, it sounds a lot more like their other albums and is a bit more satisfying to me.  Which is a bit odd as I initially hated the bonus CD and was feeling a bit unhappy that that was all I got for the extra money.  But if you shuffle those tracks in between the existing ones, they seem to work a lot better.  Of course, then you are back to have a typical length FK album (75 minutes or so), which not everyone seems to love (I do, of course).
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:53
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Currently listening to "The Sum Of No Evil" and actually enjoying it properly for the first time ever Smile

I think sometimes we expect so much from these modern prog bands and often their new albums initially don't live up to our high expectations that we unfairly burden them with Wink

It's amazing what putting an album on a shelf for a few years can do - like a fine red wine Wink

I like Sum pretty quickly when it came out, but never really loved it like some of the previous ones.  However, after being frustrated with Banks after 8 or 10 listens, I pulled out Sum and loved it like I never had before.  I guess it probably is better to judge albums after the initial anticipation and hype has died down (maybe that will be the case for me and Banks over time........though it never was for A&E).  Sum is probably in my top 5 FK albums now, as a result.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:42
Since I seem to like to make multiple posts all in a row on here Embarrassed, I thought I'd mention some CD's I have just ordered:

Beardfish "The Void"
Kaipa "Vittjar"
Glass Hammer "Shadowlands" and "Cor Cordium"
Porcupine Tree "On The Sunday Of Life"
Eloy "Live"

All were cheap to very reasonable, and I just got a nice big tax return check so I figured it was time to fill in some holes in my collection Big smile

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 15:52
Wowser!!! - this is perfect for a prog epic a poem by H.P.Lovecraft - Just look at the part names -
The Fungi From Yuggoth [27 December 1929-4 January 30]
  • I. The Book
  • II. Pursuit
  • III. The Key
  • IV. Recognition
  • V. Homecoming
  • VI. The Lamp
  • VII. Zaman's Hill
  • VIII. The Port
  • IX. The Courtyard
  • X. The Pigeon-Flyers
  • XI. The Well
  • XII. The Howler
  • XIII. Hesperia
  • XIV. Star-Winds
  • XV. Antarktos
  • XVI. The Window
  • XVII. A Memory
  • XVIII. The Gardens of Yin
  • XIX. The Bells
  • XX. Night-Gaunts
  • XXI. Nyarlathotep
  • XXII. Azathoth
  • XXIII. Mirage
  • XXIV. The Canal
  • XXV. St. Toad's
  • XXVI. The Familiars
  • XXVII. The Elder Pharos
  • XXVIII. Expectancy
  • XXIX. Nostalgia
  • XXX. Background
  • XXXI. The Dweller
  • XXXII. Alienation
  • XXXIII. Harbour Whistles
  • XXXIV. Recapture [November 1929]
  • XXXV. Evening Star
  • XXXVI. Continuity
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 20:43
Yeah, just got Banks of Eden two days ago, and the Kaipa debut yesterday, son within the weekend I got the first album to feature Roine Stolt, and as far as I know, also the last album so far. I'm still getting to know the albums... at first they sounded rather dull, but now on my third listen from both albums I'm liking them better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 486>