Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 317318319320321 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 08:48

[/QUOTE]

how a parent could celebrate Easter is beyond me.  i would fight tooth and nail before i'd let my son be crucified.

rant over.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting point...

Edited by AlexDOM - March 28 2013 at 08:49
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 10:00
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

they might be going in cold, but probably not.  i bet everyone has some ideas and they'll attempt a more collaborative effort in fleshing out the songs and putting together arrangements.  

i've always found the big rock band's creative process interesting.  i wonder if there ever was one that was so confident in their writing that they didn't write until they hit the studio, knowing something good would come out.  does that make sense?  for example, Floyd touring for a year and then coming to the studio and writing WYWH right on the spot.  I think Rush is like this.

Personally, I 'write' stuff everyday on the guitar, but the actual songs that get finished usually come in a flash.  They usually don't integrate ideas i've been working on, but are brand new.  

Tomas post from Facebook:  "Just arrived the studio! I feel this is going to be totally different from any other album we´ve made so far. Everything will be collectively composed in the studio. Right now we have rally nothing...more than a strong wish for making the best album ever:) "

My guess though is that what you say is probably close to the truth.  I can't see someone like Roine not having ANY ideas before going in the studio.  I suspect they all have things they want to try with the band and flesh out.

I think this could be either really great, or really bad.  Floyd did this for nearly every album and it worked pretty well for them.  Of course, they had a much more simple musical format that they worked in.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 10:02

Oh, and seminary was the final straw that made me an atheistWink...seriously.

Heh, I have a bachelor's degree in Religious Studies.  While I'm not strictly an atheist, it certainly turned me off of organized religion for life.

Barney, I did study Islam a bit as well, and I think it's needs the piss taken out of it as much, or more, than any other, that's for sure.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 10:12
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Well Dennis, I will actually agree with you for once Wink .......... in regards to the lyrics of the upcoming TA album.  I suspect Neal will make sure that there is at least one dramatic outro with barely concealed praise lyrics.  The last album wasn't really that bad though, IMO, until the final "section".  Of course, Roine contributed a good amount of lyrics to that one as well, so we can hope for more from him on the new album (though Barney would argue that that is not much of an improvement, of course LOL )

My comment about the "preachiness" was simply that I don't ever really feel like I'm being told what I should do or that I'll burn in hell if I don't.  It's not like a sermon in church, in other words.  Though I went to Methodist church growing up, and there was very, very little of that there (I'm sure it's different for Catholics).  Like I said though, that one live album I have by Morse and band gets a bit too much like an old time evangelical praise sermon for me at certain points......

As to your favorite song that we keep hearing about.........I think I liked it okay before you kept bringing it up all the time Wink  But, being truthful, I have always enjoyed the guitar solo in it..........

As usual, someone has to indulge/join me in senseless rantings for pages(like you have done,thanks) and I come to an actual salient point:

All kidding aside, TCFS is the whole package: At over 5 minutes it is a multi-element romp through time of prog goodness.  Very lovely, arrangement, musicianship, soloing, great harmonies, tempo changes and fun lyrics.  Just like
TA "My New World" another complete masterpiece.  I never seek spirutual enlightnement in music I pay for so I've always underated pios lyrics in music, even when JA gets kinda preachy in YES, so I give extra points to TCFS for just having light & fun spirited lyrics, that is simply the icing on the cake!

Now get your Pitttsbugh Penguin lovin ass over to the JA-YES poll thread, I just "schooled" you over there.

Laterz.Cool

"Schooled" me, eh LOL  That's funny.  I do wonder what other people outside of this thread think of our back and forth though LOL

Oh, hey, we agree about another thing...........My New World is a complete masterpiece!

Oh, yeah, I will NEVER change my avatar, now that you've asked WinkLOL

Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 11:52

This is just sensational Wink

Edited by Nov - March 28 2013 at 11:52
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 12:41

"Schooled" me, eh LOL  That's funny.  I do wonder what other people outside of this thread think of our back and forth though LOL

Oh, hey, we agree about another thing...........My New World is a complete masterpiece!

Oh, yeah, I will NEVER change my avatar, now that you've asked WinkLOL

Dude, knowing you can play Awaken, upgrades you considerablyClap, and now I will have to put actual thought
in my posts to you...LOL.  What outsiders think of us?  Prolly that we are gay.  I don't realy care.

TCFS & My New World make me realise I really love sweet & almost sappy harmonies, the more the better. I gues that is why Crimson is my least fav prog supergroup.  Fripp wouldn't write a harmonic vocal line for all the $$$ in the world.
My heroes, YES, Jon Anderson said in the early 70's, when YES first started that wanted to be this monster classical rock band but with Vanilla Fudge(the band) harmonies, I guess that is why I love YES, I love vocal harmonies, but with complex playing and extended arrangements, otherwise I would be just some retard playing BeeGees records...LOL

Finally we come full circle and you understand me on TCFS, great harmonies, that is not such a bad thing.

Yeah, Darkshade says I should never change my avatar either.  I think I will keep this one.

By the way, you and Craig being formally trained in religion is very cool actually.  I am really for religion, I just hate all the killing & bigotry that go along with it.
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:14

Heh, I have a bachelor's degree in Religious Studies.  While I'm not strictly an atheist, it certainly turned me off of organized religion for life.

Barney, I did study Islam a bit as well, and I think it's needs the piss taken out of it as much, or more, than any other, that's for sure.
Aye - but nobody dares to take the piss - They would kill you - no questions asked if you called their prophet a homicidal paedophile...which of course he was..........
Maybe thats the opening track of the anti-religious super-group......part 1 of the Maelstrom........
Part 1. The homicidal Paedophile, exits into daylight from the cave he's been hiding in waiting for the 2nd class package to arrive............
Part 2. Bloody hell - they've only gone an crucified him, wonder if that will have any ramifications?
Part 3. Hey you - Campylobactor have feelings also - don't go using that indescriminate antibiotic auschwitz you NAZI....
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:17
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Aye - but nobody dares to take the piss - They would kill you - no questions asked if you called their prophet a homicidal paedophile...which of course he was..........
Maybe thats the opening track of the anti-religious super-group......part 1 of the Maelstrom........
Part 1. The homicidal Paedophile, exits into daylight from the cave he's been hiding in waiting for the 2nd class package to arrive............
Part 2. Bloody hell - they've only gone an crucified him, wonder if that will have any ramifications?
Part 3. Hey you - Campylobactor have feelings also - don't go using that indescriminate antibiotic auschwitz you NAZI....
Confused PA will be going off-line now as Salmon Rushdie has just been moved down to number 2 on the Muslim most wanted hit list.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:31
I don't think that Al-kaida - are likely to be browsing a Flower-kings thread? Do you?
A lot of Muslim sects - ban music as the work of the devil - so we're all potential targets on this site anyway...
Do you like Heinz Baked Beans?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:39

Dude,

I am not gonna touch this with a ten foot pole, my last venture into Religion was misunderstood and nobody stood up and answered my questions about St. Neal. As far as any parent watching their child crucified, anybody goes near my
kid and they will be amazed(not in a good way) about what happens next...

About the actual crucifixion/Easter concept, the Bible is great when you simply believe what they tell you and you don't actually think about it(speaking from experience here). Example: Jonah lived inside a whale for a long time, ok, sure dude no prob. But if you actually use your brain you say "hmm, wait a minute, science tells us that whales don't have any hotel rooms inside their bodies, that dude would have suffocated..... You think differently.

When the ancient scrolls that were filtered & compiled to form the Bible, there was virtually no science, so the boss dudes were free to make up whatever story they thought would get people to follow.  Science always gets in the way of that, that's why Evangelicals always try to demonize science & scientists...

The idea of God being all powerful yet he had to have his son tortured & slaughtered to "save" us(his creation) is perfectly fine when you accept that simply cause your parents or St, Neal tells you to believe.  When you actually "think" about it, and you think about how the Jews were slaves(as were lots of tribes) and most of them lived in slavery with the odd torture & crucifixion mixed in, you could see where they would develop a religion where power & strength(what the Roman's posessed...) meant nothing and suffering & death led to heaven, well that became their "power" because that is all they had. Mind you, you won't get many followers saying "we all must suffer & die horribly to get to heaven", so you come up with..."ok, this person suffered & died horribly, so you don't have to, but.... you do have to listen to exactly what I tell you and then, you will get to heaven.  Sure sounds like something man would come up with, the more you live and get to know mankind.

If the Jews told their people that a big Jewish hero would save them and destroy the Romans, few Jews would believe the preacher(unless it happened soon) and he would have no following.  All religions are about getting people to follow and obey the top dudes. Similarly, the Roman's had no humility & suffering in their religion, their gods were all powerful, casue that is what they had, all the power in the world. So the Roman people would follow their directives...

Hmm, how's that for a rant?
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:48
Like I said - People are born Atheists - then (usually their parents) somebody tells them lies......
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:52
Guys, that religion thing?

That was soooo last millennium.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 20:16
Roine just posted this on a friend of mine's facebook wall (my friend is more of a FK super fan than any of us......he's seen them something like 27 times.....first name basis with Roine, etc.) :

".yes there is about 5 hours of unused "bit & pieces" from last years AOM, TFK & TA sessions. Some of it surprisingly good. Some resurfacing like vintage wine....."

Sound good to me!!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 20:32

Dude,

I am not gonna touch this with a ten foot pole, my last venture into Religion was misunderstood and nobody stood up and answered my questions about St. Neal. As far as any parent watching their child crucified, anybody goes near my
kid and they will be amazed(not in a good way) about what happens next...

About the actual crucifixion/Easter concept, the Bible is great when you simply believe what they tell you and you don't actually think about it(speaking from experience here). Example: Jonah lived inside a whale for a long time, ok, sure dude no prob. But if you actually use your brain you say "hmm, wait a minute, science tells us that whales don't have any hotel rooms inside their bodies, that dude would have suffocated..... You think differently.

When the ancient scrolls that were filtered & compiled to form the Bible, there was virtually no science, so the boss dudes were free to make up whatever story they thought would get people to follow.  Science always gets in the way of that, that's why Evangelicals always try to demonize science & scientists...

The idea of God being all powerful yet he had to have his son tortured & slaughtered to "save" us(his creation) is perfectly fine when you accept that simply cause your parents or St, Neal tells you to believe.  When you actually "think" about it, and you think about how the Jews were slaves(as were lots of tribes) and most of them lived in slavery with the odd torture & crucifixion mixed in, you could see where they would develop a religion where power & strength(what the Roman's posessed...) meant nothing and suffering & death led to heaven, well that became their "power" because that is all they had. Mind you, you won't get many followers saying "we all must suffer & die horribly to get to heaven", so you come up with..."ok, this person suffered & died horribly, so you don't have to, but.... you do have to listen to exactly what I tell you and then, you will get to heaven.  Sure sounds like something man would come up with, the more you live and get to know mankind.

If the Jews told their people that a big Jewish hero would save them and destroy the Romans, few Jews would believe the preacher(unless it happened soon) and he would have no following.  All religions are about getting people to follow and obey the top dudes. Similarly, the Roman's had no humility & suffering in their religion, their gods were all powerful, casue that is what they had, all the power in the world. So the Roman people would follow their directives...

Hmm, how's that for a rant?

The Jews are still expecting their savior to come, someday.  Only for them, it's always been a human (though chosen by God, of course)  that would lead them politically and spiritually and basically restore the kingdom of Israel as it was at it's peak.  The Christians took that farther, and decided that THEIR God (which is allegedly the same God as the Christians, though you wouldn't really know it from the difference in theology)  would come to earth in the form of his son of course, and wipe out all the bad people, non-believers, and the devil, and give all the believers paradise on earth.  Crazy man.

In my mid-20's, at a strange place in my life, I tried very hard to be a true believer.  I just couldn't do it.  "God" didn't seem to want to talk to me for some reason, though I did what some folks in a church and my good friend who took me there told me to do.  Still, they were all incredibly nice people and were totally non-judgmental and welcoming.  I only went 3 or 4 times, then just realized I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to accept it as something real.  To them it was very real, and it obviously was a positive thing in their lives (I didn't know all of them, obviously, and wasn't there long enough to get a real feel for them, but in the church they were all wonderful people).  It didn't work for me, and I'm fine with that.  I found different answers to my questions and confusion.  When I listen to the Testimony albums I relate to a lot of what Neal was feeling before becoming born again.  I just didn't need to take the route he did to get to a better place in life and myself.  Back then Yes was my "praise" music.  Now it's the Flower Kings Thumbs Up
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 23:32

Roine just posted this on a friend of mine's facebook wall (my friend is more of a FK super fan than any of us......he's seen them something like 27 times.....first name basis with Roine, etc.) :"<span -ft=""tn":"K"" id=".reactRoot3.121comment10200235652147003_5238891.0.1.0.1.0.0.02"><span ="UFIComment" id=".reactRoot3.121comment10200235652147003_5238891.0.1.0.1.0.0.02.0"><span id=".reactRoot3.121comment10200235652147003_5238891.0.1.0.1.0.0.02.0.0">.yes
there is about 5 hours of unused "bit & pieces" from last years
AOM, TFK & TA sessions.   Some of it surprisingly good. Some
resurfacing   like vintage wine....."Sound good to me!!</span></span></span>

Is this for the new albums? Very cool!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 08:49
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Hey m8, I don't quite get your post.

Are you saying religion in gereral is old hat?  Or do you wish us to stop talking about it, sayin our conversation is old hat?

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:22

Hey m8, I don't quite get your post.

Are you saying religion in gereral is old hat?  Or do you wish us to stop talking about it, sayin our conversation is old hat?

Religion in general. I don't know a lot of people in my generation (late teens to mid-late 20s) that still practice.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:20

Religion in general. I don't know a lot of people in my generation (late teens to mid-late 20s) that still practice.

Well first, you are from New Jersey, nothing but a bunch of pizza stuffin, mafia types and semi-attractive ho's from the Jersey Shore, who really get no benefit from salvation.  Now... a bigger cargo van, to haul more stamp-less cigarette cartons from North Carolina to sell illegally in NYC... That would come in handy, I imagine, for you guys, right?

LOL   Tongue   Big smile

Ok, ma, is coming down from Jersey to visit soon and is gonna bring me a box of Drake's Funny Bones, so you know I am just kiddin...

Serioulsy, religion has changed the last few decades for young people.  There doesn't seem to be the average guy, like me who went to church on Sunday then drank in bars all the other nights.  There does seem to be a smaller group of much more dedicated & devout kids though who stick with their parents in their churches....
Seems like battle lines have been drawn and we have all dug in & fortified our positions.  Not much crossover or casual
religion these days.  It seems today you have 2 groups:

The Damned: Like Me & Infandous & Craig & you my friend(maybe Nov? Definitely Barney...)
The Chosen & Saved: Like Sarah Palin, Billy Grahm Sr., George Bush, Neal Morse...

P.S.  Seriously, how did a handsome young lad like yorself get to have such a righteously-superb taste in music???
Did you have a much older Uncle that would twist up a fat one and play The Flower Kings & Peter Gabriel Genesis for you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:31
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Like I said - People are born Atheists - then (usually their parents) somebody tells them lies......

@Barney:
Why should I rant for 1000 words when you can just put it in one sentence?Confused  Though I wouldn't say "lies", we all like to believe things, you guys would freak if I told you all what I really believe.Wink

@RushFan: Yes you are right, Barney has no idea of the sh*te he just steped in, by mentioning the prophet.

@Barney, easy, big fella, those muslims are 100X more radical than even the Christian abortion bombers, let's keep
the prophet "M" out of this whole mess.  Free speach rights won't help when you are in a thousand pieces over a thousand places.Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 10:44

they might be going in cold, but probably not.  i bet everyone has some ideas and they'll attempt a more collaborative effort in fleshing out the songs and putting together arrangements.  

i've always found the big rock band's creative process interesting.  i wonder if there ever was one that was so confident in their writing that they didn't write until they hit the studio, knowing something good would come out.  does that make sense?  for example, Floyd touring for a year and then coming to the studio and writing WYWH right on the spot.  I think Rush is like this.

Personally, I 'write' stuff everyday on the guitar, but the actual songs that get finished usually come in a flash.  They usually don't integrate ideas i've been working on, but are brand new.  

I think we are sayin the same thing about being prepared somewhat before entering the studio. Many fans think their heroes just walk into a studio and "Dark Side of The Moon" comes out. Most great songs are surprisingly one sided as far as being created prior by one artist, or in the case of YES - Tales, the whole outline was done by 2(Steve & Jon).

Not to say that other members can't really fill out the piece or give it more dimensions.

YES - Awaken is like that, though it seems to have lots of Wakeman at its core, it was written before Rick rejoined the band!.  Steve & Jon wrote that with a bit of Patrick Moraz, yet most YES fans would think Wakeman was there during the writing.

If TFK really have no ideas and just "go for it" in the studio, that will be very interesting to see what happens.  For
me, I pray it is not a step down from the excellent(yeah that's right bitches) Banks of Eden.

You know the best part about Banks of Eden?    ....Chicks dig it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 317318319320321 486>