Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 319320321322323 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:16
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Hasse has said on his FB page the the writing is over and they will begin tracking the album this week.  Wah!!  It takes me a month to get into their albums and they're making one in two weeks.  That is nuts.  The buzz around this thing is so fun.  If they do a double album I'll sh*t myself!

For me I would rather have a solid single CD like Space Revolver or Banks of Eden.  2CD sets, Flower Power & Stardust had too much filler, songs I will probably never play again as long as I live.  Leave the "also ran" sh*te on the editing floor.  One thing about the great classic prog or rock albums were they were 100% strong from start to finish, eg:

YES: CTTE
Pink Floyd: anything from Dark Side to The Wall
Any ELP from ELP to Works I
Nektar: Recycled
Who's Next or Quadrophenia
blah, blah, blah...

We don't need no stinkin filler!

just my humble opinionEmbarrassed

Plus, if you want musical "filler", go buy a Neil Young record!LOL
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 17:39
DM-

LOL at the neil young reference.  very funny.

i'm with you all the way.  a single CD is best.  they don't even have to fill up the 80 minutes.  the classics were also good because they were short compared to today.  they were easy to listen to all the way through.  40 minutes max with great production.  that's what i prefer.  not a huge Steven Wilson fan, but he does this.

now, has there ever been a masterpiece double album? white album, physical graffiti, the wall.  not sure.  there's a few clunkers on those albums.

Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 17:41
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

i knew it was ABBA, but not the song.  immediately downloaded the song and did some research on ABBA.  pop geniuses to say the least.  SOS is an incredible pop song!

Dude, put down the crack pipe, you are now scaring me...

If you are hard up for some good pop, search for some early 70's BTO or Elton John or Doobie Bros...

geesh....Confused

A proper progger can never admit to liking:

Abba
Michael Jackson
Rap music
Any boy band
Any Britney Spears/Madonna techno-sh*te
Bay City Rollers
...the list of extremely bad music is virtually without end...

just sayin....

well, i only like that one song by ABBAWink  i admit to playing Thriller a million times in 1984.  don't like any of the others.  love early elton john, but not BTOConfused
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 19:55
I don't know if this was ever posted or not, but something that I think you guys might enjoy.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 06:21

i knew it was ABBA, but not the song.  immediately downloaded the song and did some research on ABBA.  pop geniuses to say the least.  SOS is an incredible pop song!

Dude, put down the crack pipe, you are now scaring me...

If you are hard up for some good pop, search for some early 70's BTO or Elton John or Doobie Bros...

geesh....Confused

A proper progger can never admit to liking:

Abba
Michael Jackson
Rap music
Any boy band
Any Britney Spears/Madonna techno-sh*te
Bay City Rollers
...the list of extremely bad music is virtually without end...

just sayin....
I think that Bjorn and Benny may have been capable of writing some seriously good symphonic prog music - instead they produced god-awful sugary-sweet, dance round your handbag wishy washy crap.....I have possibly heard - "Dancing queen" at every single, Wedding, Engagement, birthday/leaving party I have ever been to......She may be young and sweet and only seventeen or whatever - but I wish she had been fooking strangled at birth or that benny 's grand piano fell on him just before writing the song.......
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 06:23
Nektar - Recycled - is that a good CD?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 07:46

Hasse has said on his FB page the the writing is over and they will begin tracking the album this week.  Wah!!  It takes me a month to get into their albums and they're making one in two weeks.  That is nuts.  The buzz around this thing is so fun.  If they do a double album I'll sh*t myself!

For me I would rather have a solid single CD like Space Revolver or Banks of Eden.  2CD sets, Flower Power & Stardust had too much filler, songs I will probably never play again as long as I live.  Leave the "also ran" sh*te on the editing floor.  One thing about the great classic prog or rock albums were they were 100% strong from start to finish, eg:

YES: CTTE
Pink Floyd: anything from Dark Side to The Wall
Any ELP from ELP to Works I
Nektar: Recycled
Who's Next or Quadrophenia
blah, blah, blah...

We don't need no stinkin filler!

just my humble opinionEmbarrassed

Plus, if you want musical "filler", go buy a Neil Young record!LOL

Well, I think Flower Power would have been better as a single, completely full CD (add in Deaf, Numb and Blind at the end, that would be all I'd need).  Stardust though, I couldn't make a single CD out of my favorites from that album (only really 2 songs I'd leave off.....both fairly short).

I think I've mentioned this before, but Roine has said that there were hours of material left off those double albums.  He choose the cream of the crop, in his opinion (at the time).  I guess he's extremely productive.

Still, I'm good with single CD's.  Much more manageable.  When I first discovered the band, I loved all the double CD's, as there was more to chew one, more to enjoy.  Now though, I think I agree that single CD's are better.  I'm good with anything in the 60 minute range......more than that does get a bit too long.  Though I've never had this problem with any FK album (as I've said before, I like Banks better when I incorporate the bonus CD tracks into the main album, making it 76 minutes long, with Numbers at the end......just works much better for me).

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 11:33
^ I don't know if you remember me saying Gus, but other than the first time I heard the album I've always listened to Numbers as the last track.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 11:54
Do you guys ever run run out of steam with a band? For me, it's DT. I loved ADTOE and saw them live. Thought they were going to be my new favorite band. So I got BC&SL. Absolutely love Best of Times and count. The rest is just technical metal w**kery to me. I've been wanting to get another cd, but nothing sounds as good as Count. Guess I'm done with them for a while. With TFK, and other favorite bands, the songs are the bonus. I just love the sounds. Not that way with DT...it has to be a good melodic song with memorable riff...not just chunka chunka in random time signatures.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 12:11

Do you guys ever run run out of steam with a band? For me, it's DT. I loved ADTOE and saw them live. Thought they were going to be my new favorite band. So I got BC&SL. Absolutely love Best of Times and count. The rest is just technical metal w**kery to me. I've been wanting to get another cd, but nothing sounds as good as Count. Guess I'm done with them for a while. With TFK, and other favorite bands, the songs are the bonus. I just love the sounds. Not that way with DT...it has to be a good melodic song with memorable riff...not just chunka chunka in random time signatures.

Have you listened to Scenes From A Memory or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence? Those are 2 of their best albums. Also, Octavarium is very good, their most melodic abum, and the epic title track is not to be missed.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 12:18
I'm very hit and miss with Dream Theater.  The first two with Kevin Moore and James LaBrie are the only two that I can listen to from front to back.  There is some good stuff on most of them but Train of Thought, Systematic Chaos and A Dramatic Turn of Events leave me cold.  

To your initial question Zuma, yeah, I totally get played out on certain bands, even genres at times.  Sadly, it's probably been a month since I listened to any Flower Kings.  I'm sure they'll be back on my regular rotation, but yeah, you're not alone in the 'getting burned out on a band' thing.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 12:28
Yea, I probably haven't listened to The Flower Kings in at least 2-3 months. Same with The Tangent, Spock's Beard, etc. I've been on a mild Dream Theater kick lately though. I think A Dramatic Turn of Events is their most consistent album SINCE those 90s albums like I&W and Awake.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 13:40

Mind you - I wouldn't think somebody who thinks that ABBA is good would like any DT to be honest LOL
SDOIT - is about as good as it gets for a prog metal epic - it has everything...that was the track that REALLY got me into DT - Mind you I also Love - Shadow Gallery - Room V - I have the rest of their CD's - unlistened to possibly....
What about th Nektar - somebody mentioned?? - Would I like it?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:13
So there is a Flower Kings and Neal Morse show (with Portnoy) now scheduled for Philly (Keswick theater, outside of Philly actually......former home of RosFest, oddly enough) on May 5.  I'm going to try to make that, though I'm not sure at the moment if that is possible.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:14
May 5 in Philly? I may have to go.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:14
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

So I'm strongly toying with going to see The Flower Kings at ROSfest.  Apparently you can get tickets for the Friday night show separately.  At $50 a pop, I think I'm going to make the three hour drive and check them out.  Is anyone else on here going?

Dude, TFK play the USA so rarely, if they are near 3 hour drive it is a NO BRAINER.  They play kinda subdued though, don't look for a high-energy show...

I saw them in San Francisco in a tiny club; it was almost surreal.  All that musical firepower in a minute space.

Edited by dennismoore - April 03 2013 at 15:16
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:15
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Mind you - I wouldn't think somebody who thinks that ABBA is good would like any DT to be honest LOL
SDOIT - is about as good as it gets for a prog metal epic - it has everything...that was the track that REALLY got me into DT - Mind you I also Love - Shadow Gallery - Room V - I have the rest of their CD's - unlistened to possibly....
What about th Nektar - somebody mentioned?? - Would I like it?

*sigh*

So apparently I have to address the ABBA comment.

1)  I was four years old when Dancing Queen was released.
2)  Dancing Queen wasn't even their best song, Super Trooper and Take a Chance on Me both have far more interesting and complex vocal harmonies.  
3)  ABBA was actually quite progressive, did you know that in 1977, they released ABBA:  The Album which is a concept album detailing the transformation of a young lady full of enthusiasm and excitement into a jaded woman as her dreams and aspirations were systematically crushed one by one?  The album culminates with the three part "The Girl with the Golden Hair" suite, in the middle of "I Wonder" there is a brief but beautiful a capella call and answer in seven.  Call it pop, and much of it was, but once you get over the seventies production, it's quite good.   I still proudly listen to their music.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Yea, I probably haven't listened to The Flower Kings in at least 2-3 months. Same with The Tangent, Spock's Beard, etc. I've been on a mild Dream Theater kick lately though. I think A Dramatic Turn of Events is their most consistent album SINCE those 90s albums like I&W and Awake.

Yeah, octovarium might be up my alley. I really don't like the early albums. Production is still 80s a bit. I just find that with tfk, even if I don't like the song I still hang on every note of guitar, bass, keys and my boy Hasse!

I do want to get another Tangent, but they' re a bit boring and long winded. Andy's voice is not the best either. Music always listenable.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:19
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Nektar - Recycled - is that a good CD?

Absolutely.  Go buy it.  Make sure you get the 2002 or so remaster...

Maybe the most underated album of all time...
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 20:27
Roland-

I just read your review for Brief Nocturnes.  From what i've heard, it sounds pretty great.  memorable melodies, good production.  i don't know, it just feels like everything came together for the.  i'm definitely going to pick it up.  i'm excited.  this seems like it's not going to take a ton of work to get into :-)

Great review, BTW.  some of the reviews here are damn near incomprehensible.

Edited by zumacraig - April 03 2013 at 20:27
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 319320321322323 486>