Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 341342343344345 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 13:40
Buzz at the yahoo group:

TA sessions are done. 2 epics, 3-5 other tunes.
AoM DVD next year
TFK DVD at some point
Karmakanic DVD

All that plus new TFK album, new HFMC album, impending tours!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 19:28
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I too hope Roine does an acoustic album. Afternoon Skies on the first AoM album is a touch point. I like AoM, but Nad is a bit tough to take at times.
Yeah, vocalists are generally love or hate, especially ones with as much character as Nad.  Personally, I've loved his vocal sound and singing style since the first time I heard it, and it only gets better with each new thing I hear from him.On the other hand, Hasse Froberg often gets on my nerves with his 80's rock belting.  Sometimes I think he's excellent (Instant Delivery is a good example, or his part in There Is More To This World), other times I find him grating and irritating (early on on Tour Kaputt, his solo work, Sword Of God).

I don't mind Hasse. His live presence is great. He does get into hair band space at times though. I used dislike the Karmakanic singer, but now I really like him. The ones I cannot stand are the Kaipa singers. It's really too bad since the music is good. But Aleena and Patrick are insufferable. The kicker is they don't have to be.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 19:58
I too am a fan of Hassee.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 21:40
I don't mind Aleena and Patrick, I just find the music to be very samey.  They keep making the same album, over and over again.  Even more so than Neal Morse I would say.  Not that it's bad music, it's just not the kind that sticks with you.

Sometimes I'm a fan of Hasse, sometimes not.  I agree totally about his stage presence.  Certainly in the Unfold era, he was the only one on stage that projected any energy (not that it really mattered, since the music was so great).
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 03:07
I like Hasse as a singer, and he's also a great guy.  The missus and I spoke with him after the gig at Leamington last year and he couldn't have been friendlier.  When he found out I was a facebook friend of his he was made up and made me promise to pm him Smile.

Talking of Kaipa, I finally played Vittjar yesterday, an album I've had since Christmas but just haven't been inclined to play.  It's pretty good too, but as Gus says very much the same as the last one.  It's weird, with Kaipa I virtually never pull a cd of theirs out of the rack but when I do I enjoy the music.

I quite like Patrik as a singer, but I think he has deteriorated a little since the heady days of Keyholder.  Aleena I like not so much, she's got a good voice but it's all a bit bubblegum.

Anyway, it's friday folks so enjoy Tongue.

Edited by Roj - June 07 2013 at 03:07
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 03:12
Roj, I've had Kaipa's `Vittjar' for a while now (the vinyl/CD version), and although I quite like it, I've yet to really give it a lot of love. I think this new one has a lot more folk elements mixed in with....metal?! An interesting combination!

Aleena has gotten better over the years, she's toned down her vocals a lot from the earlier days with the band, which is a relief.

I think the biggest crime on the new album is that, for some strange reason, Jonas' bass is mixed quite low!!!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 07 2013 at 09:47
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 08:24
Ok, so who are Aleena and Patrick again?

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 10:05
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Roj, I've had Kaipa's `Vittjar' for a while now (the vinyl/CD version), and although I quite like it, I've yet to really give it a lot of love. I think this new one has a lot more folk elements mixed in with....metal?! An interesting combination!

Aleena has gotten better over the years, she's toned down her vocals a lot from the earlier days with the band, which is a relief.

I think the biggest crime on the new album is that, for some strange reason, Jonas' bass is mixed quite low!!!

I loved Allena's vocals on that first track she did back on Notes.  Now, I agree with the bubblegum comments.  I'd say she's gotten less enjoyable with each album, same as Patrick.  That could be the writing though, I don't know.

Yeah, for me I enjoy their albums fairly well when they are on, but very rarely pull them out as they just don't leave much of an impression.  Keyholder and Notes are the exceptions for me, in that order.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 10:22
I think the problem with all of the `new' Kaipa albums is that they are too long. You'll get several killer tracks, a couple of pleasant moments and one or two duds. Just because they can doesn't mean they need to totally fill up a full 80 minute CD's worth of material.

Well, I've decided, I'm going to go and properly dig Vittjar off the self again and really commit to listening to it properly!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 11:09
One thing I do like about Kaipa is their production and mastering. It's obviously intentional on Hans part. Dynamic range is always around 15. They have warm, in the room sound without trying to sound retro. Also, every thing is dry and up front. I prefer that much more than most of reverbed stadium sound Roine prefers.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 11:43
The CD creep!  Yep, that's been an issue.  I like how Steven Wilson makes a conscious choice to keep albums around 40 minutes.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 11:46
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Ok, so who are Aleena and Patrick again?

The two singers in Kaipa.

Both just over sing and over enunciate.  I agree that most of it is samey.  Same keyboard sounds etc.  The only song I can every remember is the tune Notes from the Past.  I really wish they were better.  They have the potential and I absolutely love the artwork on several of their albums.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 13:06

The CD creep!  Yep, that's been an issue.  I like how Steven Wilson makes a conscious choice to keep albums around 40 minutes.

Actually, as per several interviews, his sweet spot is 50 minutes.  So basically the maximum length of an old style LP.

Personally, I have no problem focusing on anything 60 minutes or less.  70+ though, is usually too much.  Except for The Flower Kings and Beardfish, and even then, I've come around to the idea that a couple FK CD's could have been shorter and wouldn't have suffered for it (though I'm still glad they aren't).

Of course, my number 1 FK album is Unfold, and it is almost 3 hours long.  There are at most, 2 or 3 tracks that I could live without on that one.  Though I will say, that that is one album I never listen to all the way through, just one CD at a time.  I think Stardust and Paradox Hotel are the only ones I can listen all the way through without any problem.

To be honest though, I've gotten used to 70+ minute albums, and can listen to them without much problem.  It's just that many bands simply are not good enough to entertain me for that amount of time.  Beardfish, The Flower Kings, Izz, and a few others certainly are.  But I won't complain if any of them release 40 or 50 minute albums, either.

Edited by infandous - June 07 2013 at 13:08
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 15:01
Stardust does play through pretty easily. That's a rarity in double albums. I prefer vinyl length albums and I really think that a really good epic can't go past 20 minutes.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 15:07

Stardust does play through pretty easily. That's a rarity in double albums. I prefer vinyl length albums and I really think that a really good epic can't go past 20 minutes.

I used to pick albums based on how long the tracks were.  I still kind of do that sometimes without thinking about it.  However, in the past 10 years I've come to realize that adding 15 minutes to a basically poor musical idea and approach does NOT improve it in any way......makes it much worse actually.  So to a certain extent, I agree.  However I think All Of the Above, The Truth, Stardust We Are, Garden Of Dreams, and probably at least a dozen more prove that you are incorrect WinkLOL  (or The Icon, from the 70's.......a fabulous 30 minute epic from Todd Rundgren's Utopia)
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 15:10
Stardust is great all the way through the first disc.

The second disc starts out fine, and is quite good for 4-5 tracks, if I remember correctly. Then it's hit or miss until the final epic title track.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 15:22
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Stardust is great all the way through the first disc.

The second disc starts out fine, and is quite good for 4-5 tracks, if I remember correctly. Then it's hit or miss until the final epic title track.

Yes, exactly!

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 15:28
I can't stand Different People. It's one of few TFK songs I can't really tolerate.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 18:04
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Prog_Archives

Progarchives section at Uncyclopedia.  This is hilarious!

"Prog Archives is a page dedicated to mind blowing, awesome, Roger Waters, Prog Rock. As we know, prog rock is a style that includes weird tempo changes, dark chords, mellotrons, voices in the background, as well as walls, furry animals, may queens, octavariums, hot rats and 21st Century schizoid men."

They mention a bunch of forum members and 'darkshade' is one.   Tongue
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 18:36
Just read this comment by Roine on Facebook:

"Next week - a Mellotron from early 70's arrives @ Casa Stolt. More vintage to come then......btw. The TFK album is recorded on real reel to reel tape machine. Release Oct 2013."

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 341342343344345 486>