Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 353354355356357 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 13:56
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

On Dennis and Barney agreeing:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
I am but one man on a small Island, and to the left of me across the Atlantic Ocean is another man , we have reached across that abyss and have agreed on some small point of musical taste, I feel that your feeling of great disturbance in the force was probably a bit of trapped wind or something......Anyway, it's not the predilection to tracks consisting of random noises that is the issue here...It is the insistence that (for example) the start of the waiting room is the highlight of the Lamb........I strongly disagree with such an outrageous and preposterous review of a fine progressive album - as should anyone, it's like saying that Benny the Bouncer is the best track on Brain Salad Surgery....I rest my case.....
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 15:10
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

On Dennis and Barney agreeing:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
I am but one man on a small Island, and to the left of me across the Atlantic Ocean is another man , we have reached across that abyss and have agreed on some small point of musical taste, I feel that your feeling of great disturbance in the force was probably a bit of trapped wind or something......Anyway, it's not the predilection to tracks consisting of random noises that is the issue here...It is the insistence that (for example) the start of the waiting room is the highlight of the Lamb........I strongly disagree with such an outrageous and preposterous review of a fine progressive album - as should anyone, it's like saying that Benny the Bouncer is the best track on Brain Salad Surgery....I rest my case.....

But Benny's a classic!
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 15:18
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Forgive my absence.  I've been indulging in some AOR.  If you remotely like that stuff, you gotta check out the band Line of Fire.  OMG!!

Saw on the yahoo group that Roine is re-releasing Fading Ghosts of Twilight with several remixed tracks.  This kind of stuff pisses me off.  I mean, the album is not even 5 years old and now it needs a remix?  Why not a edit out the cheese ball spoken word stuff and remaster with pristine dynamic range?  Oh well.
I have been listening to a lot of AOR lately.  Strangeways.  Work of Art.  FM.  Jimi Jamison.  Mecca.  And of course, the torchbearers, Foreigner and Journey.

WoA is a great band.  Need to check out some of those other ones you mentioned.  Any other recommendations?  Approve
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 15:23

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Forgive my absence.  I've been indulging in some AOR.  If you remotely like that stuff, you gotta check out the band Line of Fire.  OMG!!

Saw on the yahoo group that Roine is re-releasing Fading Ghosts of Twilight with several remixed tracks.  This kind of stuff pisses me off.  I mean, the album is not even 5 years old and now it needs a remix?  Why not a edit out the cheese ball spoken word stuff and remaster with pristine dynamic range?  Oh well.
I have been listening to a lot of AOR lately.  Strangeways.  Work of Art.  FM.  Jimi Jamison.  Mecca.  And of course, the torchbearers, Foreigner and Journey.

WoA is a great band.  Need to check out some of those other ones you mentioned.  Any other recommendations?  Approve
Since you like WoA, you would probably like W.E.T. and Eclipse.  If you aren't aware, W.E.T. is made up of members of Work Of Art, Eclipse, and Talisman.  Talisman's vocalist is Jeff Scott Soto, who was formerly Yngwie Malmsteen's singer.  I think he sang for Rainbow too.  He was also temporarily Journey's singer.  The newest Eclipse album Bleed and Scream was one of my favorite albums in 2012.

I also recently listened to the two albums from Lionville and they were really good.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 26 2013 at 15:25
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 07:53
All this talk of AOR............talk about a disturbance in the force Wink

No, I can appreciate good pop from time to time.  I think the only thing that sometimes bothers me is when great prog bands feel the need to add "pop" songs to their prog albums.  Not that this is always bad, as the Flower Kings have shown us with some really good short pop tunes, but I think they often dilute otherwise great albums.

As to Benny the Bouncer...............one night many years ago, a good friend and I were tripping balls on some really good acid, and we listened to Brain Salad Surgery.  We became convinced that the whole thing was a concept album, and that each and every tune, including Benny, fit that concept perfectly.  I honestly can't recall the overall concept now, but Benny was basically the "man on the street" part of it........the peasants or lower class example, if you will.  Anyway, it seemed to all make perfect sense at the time.  Of course, in retrospect I find that song hard to not skip over on the rare occasions when I still listen to that album.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 13:42
What's Really Good Acid? Hydrochloric? Nitric? Sulphuric? Ribonucleic? So what you are saying here is that you have got your liking for clunks, whingles, phlurbs, and splunches whilst under the influence of  Lysergic Acid? Well that explains that then.....Even BTB would sound good when tripping......
Now listen to The Lamb without class A drugs and see if The Waiting room is better than "The Lamia".....Tongue
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 08:25
Hasse said on FB that he and the HFMC drummer played a duo gig last weekend.  Now that would be fun.  I'd love to see a trio format with the TFK guys in various configurations.

@Roland,
I know this is a late comment, but I also have been having trouble commenting, especially on iphone.  I'll write something and when i go to post i get an error message.  Frustrating.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 09:17

Hasse said on FB that he and the HFMC drummer played a duo gig last weekend.  Now that would be fun.  I'd love to see a trio format with the TFK guys in various configurations.

@Roland,
I know this is a late comment, but I also have been having trouble commenting, especially on iphone.  I'll write something and when i go to post i get an error message.  Frustrating.

You have the Circus Brimstone album?  That is instrumental Flower Kings/Roine Stolt material played by Roine, Jonas, Tomas and Marcus.  One of my favorite side project albums (it's live), and I wish they would do something like that again.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 09:18

What's Really Good Acid? Hydrochloric? Nitric? Sulphuric? Ribonucleic? So what you are saying here is that you have got your liking for clunks, whingles, phlurbs, and splunches whilst under the influence of  Lysergic Acid? Well that explains that then.....Even BTB would sound good when tripping......
Now listen to The Lamb without class A drugs and see if The Waiting room is better than "The Lamia".....Tongue

I never said Waiting Room was better than The Lamia........just that I liked it.  Wink
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 09:23
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

All this talk of AOR............talk about a disturbance in the force Wink

As to Benny the Bouncer....in retrospect I find that song hard to not skip over on the rare occasions when I still listen to that album.

Ok, 2 points I will venture to connect.  One is AOR crap and the other is Benny.

The problem with pop/AOR music is not that it is inferior or bad, it is that is has little "staying power".  A few listens give light hearted enjoyment then it is gone, since there's not much lasting musical depth.  ELP BSS on the other hand has a lifetime's worth of depth and can stand up to repeated listens basically forever, once you get past the original burn out stage.

I over-dosed on YES for years and I though I was done, well I waited a few years and YES music became fresh again, now I can listen to it (giving it an occasional rest if needed) and I can go on forever with it.  Hence, the permanent nature
of quality music.  I do think over time we will find this to be true of most good prog, jazz or classical. Not with AOR, since by nature it is meant to please superficially.

So if you jokers wanna play Abba or Wham to get you through your prog overdoses, then fine.  For me, I prefer to "lighten things" up when needed with:

Led Zeppelin
The Who
Classic Elton John
Thee Dog Night!   yeah!!!!

As far as Benny The Bouncer:  If you people knew anything about piano playing you would be on your knees worshiping Benny The Bouncer! The piano work there is very difficult and perfectly executed.  For those that don't know, Keith Emerson's keyboard heroes are largely old ragtime players.  He has adopted that style and made it his own frankly. That is why ELP albums always had songs like:

Jeremy Bender
The Sherriff
Benny The Bouncer

Though light hearted songs, the piano work is actually monstrously hard and precise.  Simply incredible piano playing.

Stop listening to idiots banging on garbage can lids and randomly swatting at windchimes and pay more attention
to genuine masterful piano work like.... uh.... Benny The Bouncer!

Thank you for your time.

Cool

Edited by dennismoore - July 30 2013 at 13:03
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 13:02
^ Hmmm - I take your word for it that BTB has in-fact got hard piano work in it, however the song just doesn't have anything of merit unlike Karn Evil 9  first impression parts 1 & 2. And the lyrics are atrocious as is the singing.
I lighten things up by listening to
Saga
Camel
Celine Dion Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 13:11

^ Hmmm - I take your word for it that BTB has in-fact got hard piano work in it, however the song just doesn't have anything of merit unlike Karn Evil 9  first impression parts 1 & 2. And the lyrics are atrocious as is the singing.
Saga
Camel
Celine Dion Wink

As far as Benny's singing:  Dude, what do you have against your Cockney cousins???Confused

Celine Dion?  LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL

Good one Laddie, you had me going there for a minute.  So what do you really listen to when you lighten things up?
(You do know, if you say Celine Dion again, you will be the laughing stock of this dump.  Just sayin...Wink
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 13:47
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Saga
Camel
Celine Dion Wink

As far as Benny's singing:  Dude, what do you have against your Cockney cousins???Confused

Good one Laddie, you had me going there for a minute.  So what do you really listen to when you lighten things up?
(You do know, if you say Celine Dion again, you will be the laughing stock of this dump.  Just sayin...Wink
Tales From Topographic Oceans.......
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 13:50

Cockney Cousins??? Those b*****ds chased me all round the fookin underground on several occasions - I fookin hate the sov wearin, jellied eel eating cockney t***s..... 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2013 at 15:14

Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Saga
Camel
Celine Dion Wink

(You do know, if you say Celine Dion again, you will be the laughoing stock of this dump.  Just sayin...Wink

Tales From Topographic Oceans.......

Fine, me too. I can always listen to Tales...  I am glad you were kidding about listening to Celine Dion.

P.S. I didn't know those Cockney types were ruffians.Confused
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 10:23
InsideOut Music has teamed up with Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian and Sixthman to bring Progressive Nation to the high seas in 2014!

The inaugural sailing will take place February 18-22, 2014 on the luxurious Norwegian Pearl heading from Miami to Great Stirrup Cay and Freeport, Bahamas.

This music festival at sea gives you an experience that a land festival just can't match.

In addition to four days in the beautiful Caribbean and all the amenities of a cruise ship; you will enjoy music from morning until night with over 40 shows on multiple stages, along with activities, question-and-answer sessions, panels and workshops from your favorite artists.

Lineup:

TRANSATLANTIC
PORTNOY SHEEHAN MACALPINE SHERINIAN
JON ANDERSON
KING'S X
SPOCK'S BEARD
THE FLOWER KINGS
PAIN OF SALVATION
RIVERSIDE
TONY HARNELL & BUMBLEFOOT
BIGELF
BEARDFISH
THE DEAR HUNTER
JOLLY
NEXT TO NONE

Portnoy says: "In 2008 and 2009, I created a touring package called Progressive Nation and with DREAM THEATER headlining. We did three full tours (two in North America and one in Europe) that showcased a variety of bands that embraced the spirit and musicality of progressive music.

"Well, after a five-year hiatus, I have decided to resurrect Progressive Nation and this time we are taking it to the seas! But rather than a four-band bill like previous Progressive Nation tours, we have expanded the bill to over a dozen of today's greatest progressive bands, musicians and artists (and there may be one or two more still to be confirmed).

"Myself and my former DREAM THEATER bandmate Derek Sherinian have teamed up with Sixthman (who have done incredibly successful cruises with Kid Rock, LYNYRD SKYNYRD and the annual Kiss Cruise, to name a few), as well as our friends at InsideOut Music, and look forward to a very successful inaugural launch of Progressive Nation At Sea February 18th thru 22nd, 2014.

"We are so excited to take part in this historic maiden voyage and look forward to sharing this one-of-a-kind event with fans from all around the world!"

This music festival at sea gives music fans an experience that a land festival just can't match. In addition to four days in the beautiful Caribbean, guest will have the opportunity to see their favorite musical heroes perform numerous sets around the many stages set around Norwegian Pearl. And when guests are not attending a performance, a variety of activities hosted by the artists will fill the day.

Progressive Nation At Sea begins at $700 per person plus taxes and fees. Prices include entertainment, meals, and access to Norwegian Pearl's outstanding amenities, including outdoor pool, hot tubs, rock climbing wall, and fitness center.

With 15 decks of fun, Norwegian Pearl offers guests access to 13 bars and lounges, 19 dining experiences, one outdoor pool, four hot tubs, and spa treatments to help forget about the world left behind. Onboard concerts aren't the only things that rock on Norwegian Pearl — passengers looking for more activities can visit the outdoor climbing wall, bowl a few frames at the onboard lanes, or tempt lady luck at The Pearl Club Casino. Progressive Nation cruisers will also have the opportunity to explore the sandy beaches of Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas, their very own private island getaway. A host of beachside activities and games, the gigantic "Hippo" water slide, and access to food and beverage service will make the stay on Great Stirrup Cay an unforgettable experience.

Visit www.progressivenationatsea.com to register for the pre-sale today.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 10:28
Now to comment on my previous post:

"begins at $700 per person"      Yeah, I won't be going. 

Personally, I find these prog cruises a sign of the times......proggers are aging, and the prog we love is aging with them (not gracefully).  Yes, there is new, younger prog, but I haven't found a lot of that that I enjoy very much.

I suppose if I could afford it, I'd probably go, cause I'm sure it would be fun.  But for that price, I could go to two Nearfests (if it still existed), or Rosfests.  Just not worth it, IMO.

My woman and I are planning a cruise, but as much as she like a lot of my music, I don't think she'd enjoy it non-stop for days like that.  We can find better rates than that as well (without good music, of course).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 12:13
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Now to comment on my previous post:

"begins at $700 per person"      Yeah, I won't be going. 

$700.00 per concert ticket PLUS cruise fare?

By the way, say what you want about the older prog bands aging, but the "new kids" have never come even close
to their level.

I have seen Porcupine Tree & TFK & Spock's Beard(with Neal) and all those shows were around $25.00, which was
a fair price, frankly cause even though the concerts were enjoyable, they weren't even close to seeing, Pink Floyd, YES or ELP in their heyday...  So if the prog kids wanna charge big time money, they really need to step things up a notch.

You've lamented about the older prog bands being long in the tooth, that is a fair statment.  Problem is, the newer generation has never even come close to composing or performing at the level of the "old timers" you refer to.

Maybe Eric Johnson?  Yeah that guy is worth whatever $$$ he wants to charge...

Thanks for the Cruise update, though. Big smile  I would love to see the old fart(your jargin) cruise of 2014, with YES & Steve Hackett & UK, etc...   I saw the UK reunion DVD from a few years ago and Eddie Jobson just schooled the entire planet wih his performance.  Wow!

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 12:29
Hahah why would anyone want to Yes now anyways. Like Dennis said you can see high quality bands currently at their peak for 15-30 dollars. I've seen PT and Swilson in the same venue where I was 2 feet from the stage. I think that's an amazing deal for 20 dollars and not having to deal with the awful conditions on a cruise.

Sure there are one or two bands I'd like to see like Sound of Contact. But for that much money lol..
I got front row rush tickets for less than half of that sorry.
What a scam.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 14:58
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Hahah why would anyone want to Yes now anyways. Like Dennis said you can see high quality bands currently at their peak for 15-30 dollars. I've seen PT and Swilson in the same venue where I was 2 feet from the stage. I think that's an amazing deal for 20 dollars and not having to deal with the awful conditions on a cruise.

Sure there are one or two bands I'd like to see like Sound of Contact. But for that much money lol..
I got front row rush tickets for less than half of that sorry.
What a scam.

Dude,

You pop in at the oddest occasions, nonetheless:

Do you mean to say you had RUSH tickets for $350.00?   What do you mean by "half"?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 353354355356357 486>